Post-Game Talk: Jets lose to Preds 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Go watch Ovie highlights from recent year. GO watch him sit on that ****ing dot and wait for his elite playmaking centers to dish the god damn puck into his stick. It works. And it's insane how well it works.
go watch ovie at 20 yrs old while you're at it he did everything at full speed not at quarter speed. he scored from everywhere on the ice by getting himself open not just sitting there and letting everyone else do the work for him. sort of like Matthews is doing now.

Reactions: behemolari

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Most agree that Mo won’t touch the top line.
With last change at home I think we see more of the same lineup wise.

KVes out and Kuli in for Chiarot / Morrow when he’s ready are the most likely changes.

Many want Roslovic in between Ehlers and Laine but I have a hard time seeing that happening right away. If it does their ice time likely goes down even more.

Not many would want to change the CLT line but... perhaps a short term look would work.

Ehlers Copp Laine
Tanev Lowry Little

Copp had a nice short stint last year with them that got people going. He has more experience then Roslovic and could potentially help the youngsters in the d zone better than young Jack can at this point.

Regardless of offensive struggles Liitle is a solid defensive player that should keep that unit humming along. He can play the cycle game with L & T

I’ll still assume that we see the lineup as it has been to start the next game.

2 - 2 is the same record we had after 4 games last year.
Just had a thought. Little line needs to be broke up, but coach is reluctant to put Rolo there yet. If we're going to play the Lowry line so much, lets put Laine on it & get him more playing time. I think Tanev-Lowry-Laine would be worth trying.

That, or if you want them to be more defensively responsible yet dangerous stick Connor on that line & Laine on the first. Changes need to be made NOW, not at the 20 game mark.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Yes,

Ehlers Roslovic Laine was out there near the end of the game. Not a shift change, but an actual shift. This is certainly the direction Maurice is headed imo. Maybe during this homestand.
Ok, if that actually happened, there is some cause for hope that stubborn Mo is willing to explore changing that totally ineffective trio.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
go watch ovie at 20 yrs old while your're at it he did everything at full speed not at quarter speed. he scored from everywhere on the ice by getting himself open not just sitting there and letting everyone else do the work for him. sort of like Matthews is doing now.
Do you feel like this has anything to do with the subject? The discussion was about the predictability of waiting for a pass. Current Ovie produces plenty by standing still and waiting for the pass. So it's not that it's predictable, it's just that the Jets aren't executing it properly.

Not sure why you're bringing up a 20 year old Ovechkin.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Obviously no need to panic this early. I think a few adjustments would be nice, if only to utilize assets better. Vesalainen, should be moved down to the Moose. I like Dano or Lemieux in that spot, but I think they are just testing him and planned to send him down anyway.

The bigger issue is, are the top 2 forward lines at their best? Scheif and Wheeler can make many players look good, and Connor is great, but is he the best guy for that line? Laine needs to be used better, he's one of our strongest assets. We need to find a #2c that can play with him, if he doesn't move up to the #1 line. Little and him, have never really clicked, as far as I can tell. Frenchie is probably a better fit than Little there.

Why not shake it up. Try Lowery as #2c or Frenchie, with Ehlers and Connor. Ros and Little on the #3 line. Although the top line is arguably overloaded like that. we have enough depth that our #2 would be extremely fast and deadly, and make our #3 quite skilled.

From a bench management standpoint, I like that better too.
Totally agree. Whatever it takes to increase Laine's TOI, it needs to happen. Not saying that he should replace Connor on the top line just yet though, right now Connor is often looking a lot better out there on that line than Wheeler. Going to sound like a Laine booster, but whatever it takes to free Laine, its high time already.

Reactions: Crocket

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
5v5 our lines were all keeping up and getting chances. This game got out of hand so I'm not going to let it dictate anything yet. We have a string of softer teams coming up in Carolina, Edmonton, Vancouver and Arizona so lets see how they handle those games and then we can make some changes.

Connor - Scheif - Wheels
Copp - Lowry - Tanev
Ehlers - Rosie - Laine
Vez - Little - Perreault

Would be worth trying out against some softer comp.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
May as well be icing Hendricks, Thorburn, etc for 3-4 mins on the 4th line. It's hard to run 3 scoring lines with the minutes CSW & CLT are eating up. Laine & Ehlers are not getting enough TOI as is. Depth is nice if we're forced to replace injuries/blend lines, but beyond that the advantage is minimal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
I don't believe for a second Mo has told Laine to stand still on the PP. He's just being a lazy floater. When he moves, he's so much better.

The "who's better" debate is over. Waaaaaaay over.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Fair enough. I'm having a hard time getting a read out of that game. In the gdt, it sounded like we were getting hooped by the refs. But after reading more this morning, many feel the team deserved most of them. I'm going to chalk it up to a confluence of two historical facts: poor Jets discipline and bush league officiating.
No doubt the Jets deserved most of the penalties they got BUT:

The officials let Nashville get away with shit that they were calling the Jets for which is why the players lost their cool
They called ticky tacky shit to put us down two, it was like they wanted to influence the game.
It was a really unfairly called game from that perspective, which is why most people are PISSED about it.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Honestly, I know they didn't win the cup... but maybe the struggle currently is getting up for games. It's so different going from when there is a sense of urgency to not really having any.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
No doubt the Jets deserved most of the penalties they got BUT:

The officials let Nashville get away with **** that they were calling the Jets for which is why the players lost their cool
They called ticky tacky **** to put us down two, it was like they wanted to influence the game.
It was a really unfairly called game from that perspective, which is why most people are PISSED about it.

I don't disagree that the officials had an off night but part of being a championship team is battling through that stuff and not letting the emotions get the best of you. It got away our the team last night and hopefully they learn from it. Either way its one game so turn the page and onward and upward.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Honestly, I know they didn't win the cup... but maybe the struggle currently is getting up for games. It's so different going from when there is a sense of urgency to not really having any.
I really hope this isnt the case. Given who the captain is, I am thinking not

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Go watch Ovie highlights from recent year. GO watch him sit on that ****ing dot and wait for his elite playmaking centers to dish the god damn puck into his stick. It works. And it's insane how well it works.
This x 1000 :clap:It doesn't take a genious to put your elite sniper who has one of (if not THE best) one timers in the game, with your best playmaker!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
While you're at it watch the highlights of all the other ways he scores as well. It's insane how many ways he finds.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
While you're at it watch the highlights of all the other ways he scores as well. It's insane how many ways he finds.

Cool avatar title, decepticon. :D

To be serious, you are not wrong, Ovie was damn efficient.

But Laine as a teenager doesn't compare too badly so hold your horses.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Gif of the late boarding on Ehlers after the Trouba crosschecking call

Full sequence with audio

Reactions: Jets 31

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Cool avatar title, decepticon. :D

To be serious, you are not wrong, Ovie was damn efficient.

But Laine as a teenager doesn't compare too badly so hold your horses.
Efficient? I'm just talking about the ways he goes about creating goals and the areas he goes to.

My avatar is no deception, I'm a huge fan of his, have him on one of my jerseys and my kid's room is a shrine to the guy. Ecstatic he plays for the Jets.

Reactions: grieves

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Just had a thought. Little line needs to be broke up, but coach is reluctant to put Rolo there yet. If we're going to play the Lowry line so much, lets put Laine on it & get him more playing time. I think Tanev-Lowry-Laine would be worth trying.

That, or if you want them to be more defensively responsible yet dangerous stick Connor on that line & Laine on the first. Changes need to be made NOW, not at the 20 game mark.

Adding Laine to the Lowry line would change what they do.

If Laine did play with Lowry and Tanev he may very well get more chances. The main problem then is that Laine hasn’t shown much ability yet in the cycle game. That is the bread and butter of that line.

Would Maurice use that line the same way (lots of D zone starts and top line matchups)? I’m guessing he wouldn’t.

So I’m not sure it would equal the increase in ice time that we are trying to get him.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingBogo

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Adding Laine to the Lowry line would change what they do.

If Laine did play with Lowry and Tanev he may very well get more chances. The main problem then is that Laine hasn’t shown much ability yet in the cycle game. That is the bread and butter of that line.

Would Maurice use that line the same way (lots of D zone starts and top line matchups)? I’m guessing he wouldn’t.

So I’m not sure it would equal the increase in ice time that we are trying to get him.

At this point people are just throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks without thinking it through.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Gif of the late boarding on Ehlers after the Trouba crosschecking call

Full sequence with audio
One thing about all this is i can't wait until we play them at Bell MTS , get your popcorn ready . :popcorn:

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
One thing about all this is i can't wait until we play them at Bell MTS , get your popcorn ready . :popcorn:
Im jamming my popcorn where the sun don't shine because the clench friction pressure is gonna save me a trip to the candy stand. .... uhm did I just type that?...

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The Jets started bad last season , i'm hoping this is just rust right now . They have the goalie , all they have to do is start putting the puck in the net . They have too much talent to not score goals like they have in the past , it will come soon .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad