Post-Game Talk: Jets lose 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Just one more thing: Blues have provided a blueprint to shut down the Jets PP. Active sticks, and close checking on 55, 26 and 29 results in no shots on net because we just move the puck the outside. The coaches and veterans can take the blame for not changing up the PP when same old-same-old wasn't working. Their keeper standing on his head didn't help, either, LOL!

I fear this will be a theme that sinks us in playoffs. The Jets are a really good, talented team that will score lots and finish as a high seed for the playoffs. We will finish the season with a top 5 power play and therefore the logic is somewhat understandably don’t change a thing. But I don’t see the ability/ urgency/ wherewithal to adjust from this coaching staff when other teams figure out how to effectively shut us down. And that maybe extends to not just the coaches, but some of the players as well.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Connor and Laine went dry, and Little regressed to his usual level.

I knew it was only going to be a temporary deal. Little isn't a true 2nd center at this point, and Connor/Ehlers/Laine are extremely streaky.
Does Schiefele play well with Laine?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Somehow you think you come out ahead by mocking peopleadvocating making the team better, after a loss . Interesting tactic. Not sure what the end game is for ya, but keep on keeping on I guess

Same end game as those who have said "If Hellebuyck was in we would've lost", or "Maurice is an idiot" after a win.

A 1-0 loss after outplaying the other team doesn't seem like the best time for people to be critical of leaving out a player with 15 points in his NHL career, but multiple people have done that too.

Reactions: Jet

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
In my opinion this was maybe our best game this season except scoring part. If we don't score we should point our big guns like Laine Scheif and Wheeler. But they also had solid game.

My favourite Jets today were Myers Buff Kulikov Appleton and Lemieux. These all had solid game. If we continue playing like this but add scoring I'm happy.

Is this a joke? Did the Jets even get a shot in the third period until the 15: 00 minute mark. Jets mailed it in, no forward aside from Ehlers looked engaged! Imagine paying money to watch that crap last night!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

I knew it was only going to be a temporary deal. Little isn't a true 2nd center at this point, and Connor/Ehlers/Laine are extremely streaky.
Little regressed to his usual level?

You might want to check what that usual level is before takes like this.

Reactions: Jets 31

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
So maybe:
Connor - Scheifele - Laine
Ehlers - Little - Wheeler

The team has showed zero interest in splitting Scheif and Wheeler.
Currently I would guess that it would take an injury to Wheeler to see Laine on the RW with Scheifele. Wheeler has missed one game in the last I don't know how many years so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Wow that is a weak take.
What do you think a second line center is?
How has he regressed (8 pts in his last 10 games)?
As someone just pointed out Little leads the team in point production relative to time on ice.
Oh and he's good at face offs and in the defensive zone.

Are you using Malkin as the comparison to what a 2nd line center is?

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Same end game as those who have said "If Hellebuyck was in we would've lost", or "Maurice is an idiot" after a win.

A 1-0 loss after outplaying the other team doesn't seem like the best time for people to be critical of leaving out a player with 15 points in his NHL career, but multiple people have done that too.
Literally 3 people in this thread even mentioned Petan, and none of them were overly critical of him not playing or even close to suggesting the loss had anything to do with it.

We get it, your 12th forward, especially in a Maurice coached team, has little significance. Anything else to offer?

Reactions: Jets 31

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The team has showed zero interest in splitting Scheif and Wheeler.
Currently I would guess that it would take an injury to Wheeler to see Laine on the RW with Scheifele. Wheeler has missed one game in the last I don't know how many games so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
Unless someone took a play out of the play book of the movie the "The fan".

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What I was wrong about re: Sami Niku: He was not strong enough for the NHL - and he needs to work on his D in the AHL more to get good enough to play here. Yes, he still made a couple of mistakes due to not properly judging the size or speed of NHL players but he has played much better, which is very exciting.
What I was right about re: Sami Niku: There's no 'freeing' him. He plays better, he gets more chances. He had an abortion of a game his first game and played fewer minutes. He got progressively better each game, culminating with him playing on the top pair with JT last night. That was due to him playing a simpler, more responsible game.

I am getting really sick of the Wheeler bashing around here. The guy is one of the very best RW in the NHL and he's our captain. People who love a certain player more than the Jets need to back the f*** off. This board is getting unreadable due to people wanting to put the needs of this player before the good of the team.

Nice to see Helle bounce back - he needs to string a bunch of good games together. Allen played lights out - I wouldn't be surprised to see the Blues claw their way back into the picture. They also played very well against the Oilers (and Allen did too).

Too bad for Niku that once Morrissey gets back he's going back to the PB. Nice to see him play well but Morrissey/ JT - Chia/ Buff and Myers/ Kuli really do work as our pairs and I think that is what we will see. I'd expect Niku to go back to MB when Morrow is healthy. Good news is we've seen we do have some defensive depth which we will need this year.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Only one game in the season but having home ice in round #1 would be a benefit. Loses add up. Giving points away to the 2nd $hiiest team in the league won’t get the job done.
I don't believe the Blues are actually the 2nd shittiest team in the league. I think their goaltending has been terrible. Allen was good, and lucky.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I am surprised that no one has brought this up yet:
Teams have figured out our PP.
We MUST make adjustments-more movement & dynamics is required.
LOL false

Sample size too small. One game where we don't score in 6 tries means jack shit.

The Jets were not moving the puck efficiently and with zip. That was causing problems for us. The ice had a big hand in that as the puck was bobbling.

If we start having a stretch of games where we are seeing sub 20% PP then yes, you can panic.

One recommendation I'd have right away is have Buff launch some bombs occasionally from the point. Teams will have to eventually respect that and that will open up seams down low for Laine and Brighteyes

Reactions: GNP

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I don't believe the Blues are actually the 2nd ****tiest team in the league. I think their goaltending has been terrible. Allen was good, and lucky.

Yes, they have had pretty bad goaltending. Allen is a lot like Pavelec makes the big save lets in the routine shot. Puts a good game together and craps the bed the next night .

I am sure the Blues won’t end up 2nd last either but at this point in the season that is where they are at and that is what we lost to.

I don’t believe we got out goalied because I don’t believe that we generated enough scoring chances. It’s only one loss and we have done well against non playoff teams up to this point.

Some in game tweaks to the PP when the other team is doing a pretty good job shutting it down would be nice for a change.

My post last night was fuelled by 4 lost bets on the Jets last night and some Christmas Cheer.

Onward and upward starting tomorrow afternoon. Jets facing a few wounded dogs over the next few games. The 1st dog bit back, time for the Jets to bite 1st.

Reactions: Jet

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Exactly. If anything, the Blues played better when they slowed up on the physicality. They focused a bit more on hockey instead of trying to beat up the other team.

Less physical but they played a straight up D game - they were driving very little offense and it looked to me like that was the plan all night.
That and a hot goalie.

Reactions: Duke749

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
LOL false

Sample size too small. One game where we don't score in 6 tries means jack ****.

The Jets were not moving the puck efficiently and with zip. That was causing problems for us. The ice had a big hand in that as the puck was bobbling.

If we start having a stretch of games where we are seeing sub 20% PP then yes, you can panic.

One recommendation I'd have right away is have Buff launch some bombs occasionally from the point. Teams will have to eventually respect that and that will open up seams down low for Laine and Brighteyes
I don't think it means panic, and what you're suggesting qualifies as adjustments. Over the last 4 games they've been relying too much on the same options, opening Buff up for a couple of bombs, moving Connor out front or working it low to high with him are all things they need to do more of to keep teams honest. They've been going to the same well too often and last night it dried up. It's nothing major, just looking at what the other team is giving you. Last night it was Buff, you're right.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
On the positive side, Kulikov looked good for his 1st game back and the Wild also lost.

How many goals have the Jets scored this season where a puck was tipped by Jet right in front of the net? Can't be that many.
Kuli was skating really well last night and I think he settles Myers down. Looks to me like Myers is trying harder to get the rush started as opposed to leading it more these past few games, he's moving the puck quicker. If only there was an option at the 4 spot :sarcasm:.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I am getting really sick of the Wheeler bashing around here. The guy is one of the very best RW in the NHL and he's our captain. People who love a certain player more than the Jets need to back the **** off. This board is getting unreadable due to people wanting to put the needs of this player before the good of the team.

It's not Wheeler bashing, it is being realistic and not head over heels about him. Fact is he isn't a good goal scorer, there are a handful of better goal scorers in the jets lineup. Objectively better, their stats will show a much better G/60 ratio. Wheeler is pretty good on PP as a playmaker and should stay on that but he isn't very good 5 on 5 and other players in the Jets roster would provide better results for the team if they plaued in that spot. It's not an argument to elevate a player, it's an argument to elevate the team. You elevate the team by paying people to their strengths. When goals are needed, goal scorers need to be on the ice rather than grinders.

I don't get why people don't understand it's a suggestion for betterment of the whole team because that's exactly what it is.

Reactions: Bigfish

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't think it means panic, and what you're suggesting qualifies as adjustments. Over the last 4 games they've been relying too much on the same options, opening Buff up for a couple of bombs, moving Connor out front or working it low to high with him are all things they need to do more of to keep teams honest. They've been going to the same well too often and last night it dried up. It's nothing major, just looking at what the other team is giving you. Last night it was Buff, you're right.
Can't argue with that.

I have also seen teams try desperately to defend those two prime down low plays when the PP is on and failing miserably. The Jets actually were successful a few times with it even last night, had Schief and Laine's aim been a bit better we could have been 2 for 6

But, I agree, doing a couple of other things could really throw the PK off. I also think that Connor is kind of wasted on that PP. He doesn't handle the puck much. I'd consider putting Little there and giving Connor half wall assignment on PP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad