Post-Game Talk: Jets lose 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
1> I am also a Laine fan.
2> This is the WINNIPEG JETS forum
3> When I feel people are putting a player, ANY PLAYER above team I will call it out.
So...why are you replying to my post about CLL -> ELL? I was commenting on Maurice and his line decisions, not Laine. English is my 3rd language, so I may not always get my point across the way i intend to, but this is confusing me. How am I putting any player above the Team?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Not everyone looks at things the same way and opinions are like armpits as the saying goes.
It’s generally fun and as long as we don’t get personal it’s all good.
Having said that not sure why we need Lemieux honestly but hey whatever.
I thought we played hard last night but nothing clicked and both goalies played well.
I got a kick out Bortuzzo trying to intimidate Laine all night .... he looked like a doosh doing so.
The team is fine and we still have a decent record and more important Helle might be regaining form? Too early to tell

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Jet's need to tweek the power play a bit now - with these teams using a collapsed box and playing all their defenders down low, it leaves very little room for Wheeler to get a pass across ice to Scheif or Laine. When he does get a pass thru, there are enough guys playing low, to block the shots, like the Blues were doing.

You have to take what a team will give you, and if they won't give you a cross ice pass, then you pass it back to the point, and have our back end guys start to shoot or charge the net.

The best 2 guys we have for this on the blueline are Myers and Morrissey. Myers will take a pass, and skate backwards along the inside of the blueline, and look for an opening and fire. Myer's shot usually always hits the net, creating rebounds for Scheif and Connor. Myers and Mossissey are also good at rushing the net, and plays are also created like that. Morrissey is the best at rushing the net, and also has a very accurate shot. So, if teams want to play low with a collapsed box, we have to make adjustments.

I understand a lot of fans don't really like Myers, but I think he's one of our best defenseman, and his play in the defensive zone has improved immensely in the last 3-4 games. We need to make some changes here, because teams are catching on.

Reactions: Psych0dad

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
I come here for the tension when my family isn’t readily available
Maybe you should try a squirrel massage instead?

tenor.gif

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Jet's need to tweek the power play a bit now - with these teams using a collapsed box and playing all their defenders down low, it leaves very little room for Wheeler to get a pass across ice to Scheif or Laine. When he does get a pass thru, there are enough guys playing low, to block the shots, like the Blues were doing.

You have to take what a team will give you, and if they won't give you a cross ice pass, then you pass it back to the point, and have our back end guys start to shoot or charge the net.

The best 2 guys we have for this on the blueline are Myers and Morrissey. Myers will take a pass, and skate backwards along the inside of the blueline, and look for an opening and fire. Myer's shot usually always hits the net, creating rebounds for Scheif and Connor. Myers and Mossissey are also good at rushing the net, and plays are also created like that. Morrissey is the best at rushing the net, and also has a very accurate shot. So, if teams want to play low with a collapsed box, we have to make adjustments.

I understand a lot of fans don't really like Myers, but I think he's one of our best defenseman, and his play in the defensive zone has improved immensely in the last 3-4 games. We need to make some changes here, because teams are catching on.
I'd like to see the 1st unit develop a clear B-plan against collapsing PK units that take away the seampass. Like you said, they should just use what the other team is giving them instead of forcing the A-plan (which is really, really good when it works). Maybe keep it on the outside and have Buff and Laine taking shots from the point instead, with Scheifele in front deflecting and creating masks and crash the net on rebounds with Wheeler and Connor?

Reactions: Psych0dad and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd like to see the 1st unit develop a clear B-plan against collapsing PK units that take away the seampass. Like you said, they should just use what the other team is giving them instead of forcing the A-plan (which is really, really good when it works). Maybe keep it on the outside and have Buff and Laine taking shots from the point instead, with Scheifele in front deflecting and creating masks and crash the net on rebounds with Wheeler and Connor?

Good post Patty --I just think you have to take what the other teams give you --instead of forcing your usual strategy, when it's just not there. You have good suggestions.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017

Good post Patty --I just think you have to take what the other teams give you --instead of forcing your usual strategy, when it's just not there. You have good suggestions.
The beauty of it would be that you could switch between those set plays with the same setup pretty swiftly. Connor could just slide to the left wall from behind the goal and Patty would move closer to the blue line. After a few shots by Laine or Buff the PK would probably stretch out and then the PP could just revert back to plan A via Wheeler dishing it, Laine moving down and Scheifele moving into shooting position in the slot.

Reactions: GNP

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I put nic Petam down low with Wheeler in Half wall if opponent is playing the jets by closing the seam in thr middle.of the ice.

Petan can thread the needle to Laine or Schiefele.

I saw Petan able to score from that low on that side. Roof side. If there's an oppening.

Never mind he doesnt play.

If they collapse maybe reverse the play to Laine.

Wheeler down low on Laine side.
Kc on thr other half wall

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Do we even have bad ice? There was a NHLPA poll last year that voted our ice 3rd best in the league.

Again our ice may rank higher then other rinks but that may just speak to how poor the ice conditions are across the league. I see that puck jumping around like a magic bean quite a bit. There has to be a lot of room for improvement with our ice. Regardless of where we may rank among the other 30 active teams.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Still pissed off that we lost. They didn’t even play badly as it was just one of those nights, so kudos to Allen. But that’s two points down the drain, damnit.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I thought we were supposed to share opinions and not bash other posters personally here. The tone is awful here lately.

It is. Moderators decided to let things go in these threads for a day or two, to see how badly it would turn towards critiquing posters rather than posts. It got pretty uncivil.

While we would hope that most are able to rise above ad-hominem attacks, it's apparent that we're going to have to enforce the rules more strictly. :sadpanda:

Closed - GDT is up for today's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad