McKenzie: Jets likely pursuing Mark Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Petan is playing ahead of who? Tierney, White and Pageau? Highly doubtfull. He has very little value. You clearly arent very familiar with the sens here, if you dont think that Roslovic Vesalainen or Niku is coming back in the package then the Jets arent getting Stone. The sens forward depth isnt bad another 4th line player isnt going to change anything, its the D core and coaching that is truly the issue.

When played with good players (i.e. Wheeler) Petan produced like a top 6 player.
When played with a plug like Thorburn he didn't.
Just because Petan can't break through the roster of a first place team with one of the deepest forward cores in the NHL doesn't mean he can't be a productive player on a last place team in the NHL :huh:

He was elite in Junior, elite at the World Juniors, had a great year in the AHL last year.
Kid caught a terrible break this year.
His dad died during training camp and that essentially cost Nic his chance at the start of the season to get regular minutes. He's looked great every chance he's gotten to play and had a highlight reel assist in his last game.

Maurice is an old school coach who would play Thorburn ahead of much more talented players 9 times out of 10.
There's lots of teams that could use Petan's skill in their lineup.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Nothing more than the effort I see on the ice. He definitely hasn't been bringing it lately.

He was the Jets best player last game.
He's a 20 year old frick'n kid who has NEVER been in a slump in his life.
It's tough, all players go through bad stretches.

People act like Laine is 25 and fully developed.
Go watch highlights from last Feb / Mar when Laine was on his big heater last year.
That guy looked dominant.
It's just at his age he can't be that guy all the time yet.
But it's coming.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
You think that its some sort of an insult because a hockey team you cheer for is better currently than the one I am cheering for?... Id say the only thing you are proving is you have far less knowledge in the sport we are discussing.

There is no place for Petan on the sens with or without those guys he doesnt bring anything to the table. Stop trying to sell him for Stone or Duchene its embarassing.

I would never try to say he should be a key part of a trade for those guys.
But his value to teams is completely independent of that.
Suggesting he couldn't make the roster of the last place team in the league who hypothetically moved their top 3 forwards is a bit presumptuous.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Looks to me Vegas put a wrench in jets plans. Things are gonna get interesting now. This has become a bidding war. Dorion has to sit stone out and auction him . I think jets will surely put roslovic on the table now.
Nope. Won't happen no matter how much you wish it was true.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Do you work for Vegas?
I'm pretty sure he's just trolling. He's been going to the Sens board trying to fill their heads with unreasonable returns and then coming here and saying he "heard" that same crazy return as a rumour. I'm guessing he thinks he can get everyone fighting.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Better pieces than Stanley, Appleton and Petan.

I even understand the hesitation with moving Roslovic and Vesalainen, but theres no shot Sami Niku should be a hurdle to trading for Mark Stone.

The Jets have way more NHL ready forwards in the system then D.
Niku needs to step into our top 4 next season.
Trouba and Myers could both be gone this summer.
Samberg is the next best D prospect we have and he is still in College and needs some pro-seasoning before he can help.

That's why Niku is so valuable the Jets.
He also can play both sides and prefers his off handed side.

Reactions: robertocarlos

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm pretty sure he's just trolling. He's been going to the Sens board trying to fill their heads with unreasonable returns and then coming here and saying he "heard" that same crazy return as a rumour. I'm guessing he thinks he can get everyone fighting.

Vegass is only interested in sloppy seconds.

When the Jets are done we may give them our doggy bag.

Reactions: Snowman

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Vegas has 3 third rounders this year and 3 second rounders next year. They can afford to give Ottawa a lot of picks on top of a prospect.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Wake up. Since Monday TSN has been pushing the winger option over the centre option.

Since when have the media had a clue what Chevy was going to do?

Expansion Draft - Jets were the only team that didn't have their move leaked through the media prior to the live announcement.

Stastny - not a single peep this would happen.

When Dreger started saying our top priority is a top 6 winger I laughed.
Just because Chevy may want Stone shouldn't equate to us needing any top 6 winger.

Adding Stone means that one of Wheeler, Ehlers, Laine or Connor won't be playing in our top 6.
Nice problem to have but maybe not the best use of our assets.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
WPG 2019 1st
WPG 2020 1st
WPG 2021 2nd
Vesalainen
Niku
Petan
Perrault

I hope Chevy passes if that is the price.
The Jets could make a different move that costs WAY less that could also help spark the club.
Stone as a rental costs too much and if we re-sign him then we are looking at another major piece needing to move.
For this year that also pushes another top 6 player down to our 4th line.
You're losing some value from the player who is having their ice time dramatically reduced.

2019 first, Petan and Perrault is as far as I would want to see Chevy go.
The list above is ludicrous for a rental.
We'll just have to live without Stone if that's the case.

If another team can offer up more awesome for Ottawa but that would be a horrible move for Chevy to make just as the Jets have become a contender. The list above is the how to recipe on the topic of "close your Cup window as quickly as possible"

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I fully understand how a sign and trade works. He could do the sign and trade now to get 8 years. If the sign and trade doesn't go through, then max he can get is 7 years and that could then change his thought process. Is see your logic to some extent but it's still pure speculation unless your in Stone's head.
If the Jets acquire Stone at a rental price they can then sign him to an 8 year contract extension. The point is that the Jets don't need to pay an exhorbitant price to receive Stone with a new contract. They can trade for him and extend him for 8 years themselves. That's what the Sharks did with Evander Kane last season.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Since when have the media had a clue what Chevy was going to do?

Expansion Draft - Jets were the only team that didn't have their move leaked through the media prior to the live announcement.

Stastny - not a single peep this would happen.

When Dreger started saying our top priority is a top 6 winger I laughed.
Just because Chevy may want Stone shouldn't equate to us needing any top 6 winger.

Adding Stone means that one of Wheeler, Ehlers, Laine or Connor won't be playing in our top 6.
Nice problem to have but maybe not the best use of our assets.

Follow the context of the thread. The individual I responded to in this message from 4 days ago had asked what had happened to the alleged interest in Duchesne.

PS If you were to go backwards to 12 hours prior to the Stastny trade being announced there was chat either on the main boards or on St. Louis of Stastny being moved. It was one of the last things I had read before falling asleep that night.

Chevy & the Jets organization may be tight lipped, but that doesn't mean the organizations he speaks with act in the same manner.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Looks to me Vegas put a wrench in jets plans. Things are gonna get interesting now. This has become a bidding war. Dorion has to sit stone out and auction him . I think jets will surely put roslovic on the table now.
Chevy will stick to his price. There are a bunch of good rentals.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
At the time of the trade, Esposito was just drafted 22nd overall. He was considered as good a prospect as Vesalainen and Roslovic, also late 1st rounders.

If you actually break down the Hossa to Pittsburgh trade, based on what the players were in 2008:

• Colby Armstrong: 25 year old hard-nosed winger, had already put up a 16 goal, 40 point season.
• Erik Christenson: 24 year old offensive center who had just put up 18 goals, 33 points in 61 games.
• Angelo Esposito: 18 year old prospect who had just been drafted 22nd overall
• 1st round pick

An equivalent offer from Winnipeg would be:

• Brendan Lemieux
• Adam Lowry
• Kristian Vesalainen
• 1st round pick

You're wasting your breath mentioning Adam Lowry in this thread.
Zero chance Chevy trades Lowry.
Way less than zero chance that all 4 of those pieces move for Stone as a rental.

I want nothing to do with anything close to that cost.
The first round pick is in play and there will be some type of add on.
Chevy can make a better deal elsewhere.

We are adding Ehlers and Buff back into our lineup.
That's like adding a first line winger and #1 D at the deadline for nothing.

The Jets are already in first place without that and with Laine essentially being a no show since November.
Stone would be amazing to add (especially since he's from here) but the reality is adding him only increases are chance of winning the Cup by a % point or 2. Losing key pieces to acquire him for 2.5 months that will negatively affect us for the next 8 - 10 years is risky. Over paying for that is down right dangerous.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
When played with good players (i.e. Wheeler) Petan produced like a top 6 player.
When played with a plug like Thorburn he didn't.
Just because Petan can't break through the roster of a first place team with one of the deepest forward cores in the NHL doesn't mean he can't be a productive player on a last place team in the NHL :huh:

How is he going to produce on a lineup of all Thornburns?

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Lol ... you guys are dreaming if you think Chevy would bet the house to get Stone. Once Ehlers gets back next week they already have their top 4 wingers and as for as Duchene goes LOL ... where ever he goes the team does not many the playoffs. How many playoffs goals does he have playing 10 seasons in the NHL ... ZERO!

OUTHOUSE

Feb 16, 2008
99 Rideau
Lol ... you guys are dreaming if you think Chevy would bet the house to get Stone. Once Ehlers gets back next week they already have their top 4 wingers and as for as Duchene goes LOL ... where ever he goes the team does not many the playoffs. How many playoffs goals does he have playing 10 seasons in the NHL ... ZERO!
Duchene is awful, I agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino