McKenzie: Jets likely pursuing Mark Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I get that. If you prefer to trade Laine for a king's ransom than trade Connor, I understand that. The worst idea is to trade either of them for Stone, because the Jets don't need to pay that much for him.

Step 1: Acquire Stone as rental (pay just a bit more than the next best offer).

Step 2: Extend Stone's contract (if he's willing to agree to a sign and trade then he'll extend after a rental deal).

Step 3: Trade Connor or Laine in the summer for a huge return.

See how much better that works?
This ^

I am in favour of trading Laine over Connor because:

1 - Connors speed game fits the jets better
2 - Laine will garner a much bigger return - including a D replacement for the departed Trouba if need be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter368
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
You have no idea if he even wants to sign long term with the Jets. That's the big if. Maybe he wants to test UFA and go to the highest bidder. Maybe he wants to play in a warmer climate. That's the big if. Unless Chevy knows he can get Stone signed as a UFA, a signed Stone has big value.

If you were to go through the history of deals involving a player resigning it's usually a draft pick involved. Conditional 2nd's become 1st...ect.

Unless salary retention is on the table, any deal has to include a Jets current roster player, albeit a minor one. Topping that list is Petan. If there is a deal I'd suggest the Jets 2019 1st & Petan are the two starting pieces. That last piece is all that is in question.

As for the add, I highly doubt any Jets' of the Jets top 9 are in play. Perhaps Lemieux or Appleton plays a role in the Stone trade, but that would be it.

The Athletic reported today that the likely targets Ottawa is considering include Jets top prospects Vesalainen or Samberg. Appleton, Niku & Gustaffson were also noted.

If Ottawa is truly scouting the Moose the only prospects of note include Niku, Poolman, Stanley & Comrie. I would doubt that last piece would be players like Spacek, Suess, Harkins or Lipon.

Jets also can't afford to be trade cheap defensive depth on entry level deals. Stanley, Poolman & Niku have far more worth to the Jets that most here would realize. Jets prospect depth on D may be the worst in the league & with the Trouba situation, the Myers UFA situation & the cap crunch.

So with that said, I can't image Chevy not at least inquiring about Chabot, but the return would have to be a major roster piece. Now we're into complete idle speculation, so I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Why is it a big "if"?

Why would Stone be more willing to sign long term with the Jets today than he would tomorrow or a week from now?

Just playing devils advocate, but perhaps because there's cap space available for 2019-2020 now? There will certainly be less once the summer signings begin. Generally that's why there's a "frenzy" of deals July 1st when the market opens.

Last edited:

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
If you were to go through the history of deals involving a player resigning it's usually a draft pick involved. Conditional 2nd's become 1st...ect.

Unless salary retention is on the table, any deal has to include a Jets current roster player, albeit a minor one. Topping that list is Petan. If there is a deal I'd suggest the Jets 2019 1st & Petan are the two starting pieces. That last piece is all that is in question.

As for the add, I highly doubt any Jets' of the Jets top 9 are in play. Perhaps Lemieux or Appleton plays a role in the Stone trade, but that would be it.

The Athletic reported today that the likely targets Ottawa is considering include Jets top prospects Vesalainen or Samberg. Appleton, Niku & Gustaffson were also noted.

If Ottawa is truly scouting the Moose the only prospects of note include Niku, Poolman, Stanley & Comrie. I would doubt that last piece would be players like Spacek, Suess, Harkins or Lipon.

Jets also can't afford to be trade cheap defensive depth on entry level deals. Stanley, Poolman & Niku have far more worth to the Jets that most here would realize. Jets prospect depth on D may be the worst in the league & with the Trouba situation, the Myers UFA situation & the cap crunch.

So with that said, I can't image Chevy not at least inquiring about Chabot, but the return would have to be a major roster piece. Now we're into complete idle speculation, so I'll leave it at that.

Chabot being involved in a deal with Stone is just as unrealistic as Sens fans expecting Laine being a return for Stone (signed or not). A deal of that magnitude would involve core pieces going out and at this point of the season, is pure fantasy.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
If you watched the last Jets game, he did injury his leg in the 3rd(?) period, and considering he was just out for an extended amount of time with a lower body injury, it's very likely that they're keeping Buff out due to injury. But you believe what you want.

Well that explains it, didn't catch the 3rd period of the game so had no idea. Oh and yeah uhh.... belief is personal/non-factual trip so we all believe what we want, but thanks for the assertion.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
It's the recency bias and emotions of fans. There's a larger quantity of evidence of Laine being a phenom goal scorer than not

Some fans seem to have gone to Chiarellis school of GMing - sell low & buy high

What were jets fans wanting to trade Laine for after his rookie year? Or after last year ? Or after Nov 2018? That's right they wouldn't
I agree. Some Jets fans are absolutely horrible at asset management and are easily fooled with recency bias. Trading a guy who scored 44 goals before he was 20 for a much older player with a career high of 26 goals. Yikes.

Now that is a perfect recipe for closing your window of contention as quickly as possible.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Was pretty clear that buff had tweaked his latest injury last game. I wouldn’t read into it too much.

I agree. If they were showcasing Niku there’s other D they could pull out to do that.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
bums me out but it sounds like Niku is going to be put on display tonight, which may mean he is being offered up. (i don't really believe Buff is hurt)
Same here. The good news is any future Jets, playing now for the Sens, won't get hurt by Big Buff today.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I agree. Some Jets fans are absolutely horrible at asset management and are easily fooled with recency bias. Trading a guy who scored 44 goals before he was 20 for a much older player with a career high of 26 goals. Yikes.

Now that is a perfect recipe for closing your window of contention as quickly as possible.
Selling a declining asset when it still has some value has merit as well. The question is whether Laine is the next Ovechkin or Heatley. I'm sure Jets management has a much better pulse on this than any of us do. I trust Chevy to make the right decision.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014

We're not getting enough help from the Toronto media. Did you know AM scored 100 goals in 186 games?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Selling a declining asset when it still has some value has merit as well. The question is whether Laine is the next Ovechkin or Heatley. I'm sure Jets management has a much better pulse on this than any of us do. I trust Chevy to make the right decision.
jets haven't even given up on 24 year old 5 goal scorer petan and to think they would consider laine a declining asset as a 20 year old with 100 goals. and i'm saying this a fairly big critic of laine on the jets boards. he ain't going anywhere.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Exactly, Chevy isn't going to base his evaluation on a cold streak by Laine as you are. He knows Laine is much, much, much more valuable than that.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Laine had 100 goals in 179 games. It's impossible that he stops scoring goals. I guess we have to keep him. Jets have had their fill of players who can do everything except score goals.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
What strange logic.
What I meant is if you have Stone Laine Ehlers Connor Wheeler as your wingers you can only afford so many wingers as top 6 so if you have to let one go for cap reasons then one of Ehlers or Connor would be my choice.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I don't think Laine would be the return. I think futures and something else.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
What I meant is if you have Stone Laine Ehlers Connor Wheeler as your wingers you can only afford so many wingers as top 6 so if you have to let one go for cap reasons then one of Ehlers or Connor would be my choice.
That makes more sense. I'm kind of at a point where it could be Laine just to maximize cap saved. I'm just not sure if Laine at 10+ million is more valuable than Connor at 7 or Ehlers at 6 any more.

Reactions: robertocarlos

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
That makes more sense. I'm kind of at a point where it could be Laine just to maximize cap saved. I'm just not sure if Laine at 10+ million is more valuable than Connor at 7 or Ehlers at 6 any more.
Yes, I'm also not sure if Laine should be the one to go. Flashes of good lately but good is not good enough if the puck stays out of the net.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Yes, I'm also not sure if Laine should be the one to go. Flashes of good lately but good is not good enough if the puck stays out of the net.
I mean, it's a slump and I have no doubt he'll come out of it, just price vs performance I'm starting to feel like you'll get more for less with Connor and Ehlers. Recency bias is probably playing a part in that mind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->