Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 17-18 Part XVIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Connor starts with Litts and Wheels. That gives us MP Petan Dano and Matthias Lowry Armia as our bottom six. Copp first man in? I doubt that happens though.

I'm pretty sure Copp will play over Matthias.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
why does it even matter? build 3 strong lines and play play them similarly

petan really doesn't have much to prove. he's already proved that when he plays with good players, he does very well. he's even increased wheeler's numbers when they were together. the line of connor-petan-wheeler was dominate last year.

He has a lot to prove.

He has to prove he can consistently play at the NHL level. He struggled in many games this year with the speed and physicality of the NHL game. He did ok on a line with Wheeler for a game. That's not a season, and he did not maintain that level play or he would have been there a lot longer. And far too often the pp set up died on his stick.

Nic has to prove he has learned that a smart quick pass to an open teammate is many times more effective than a backhand saucer pass he tries to thread through too many sticks and legs. That is the 'junior' plays he needs to work out of his game.

There is zero chance he plays ahead of Laine, Scheifele, Little, Wheeler, Ehlers or Perreault to start the season. Your best NHL calibre players will play more.

Connor will get a chance at wing over Petan, and Copp at C. Baring injury, i really don't know where Petan slots in to start the season. His best situation may be on the Moose playing 20 mins and being a go-to guy.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
He has a lot to prove.

He has to prove he can consistently play at the NHL level. He struggled in many games this year with the speed and physicality of the NHL game. He did ok on a line with Wheeler for a game. That's not a season, and he did not maintain that level play or he would have been there a lot longer. And far too often the pp set up died on his stick.

Nic has to prove he has learned that a smart quick pass to an open teammate is many times more effective than a backhand saucer pass he tries to thread through too many sticks and legs. That is the 'junior' plays he needs to work out of his game.

There is zero chance he plays ahead of Laine, Scheifele, Little, Wheeler, Ehlers or Perreault to start the season. Your best NHL calibre players will play more.

Connor will get a chance at wing over Petan, and Copp at C. Baring injury, i really don't know where Petan slots in to start the season. His best situation may be on the Moose playing 20 mins and being a go-to guy.
i disagree almost entirely with your assessment of petan

i will say though, it's one thing to build an ideal roster on here and a whole other thing having maurice follow suit. he's most likely going to have lowry playing 3C again getting way too many minutes. but if that's the case petan still deserves to be in the lineup and should realistically be able to have decent line mates even if they may not be ideal for the type of player he is.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maybe you can't answer this because of your new job but how would you suggest to the Jets should they run the bottom centers then. Lowry/Copp as 3/4 and Petan in the minors centering one of the top 2 lines to see how his production goes?

I'd run a bottom 6 of...

C - Lowry, Copp
LW - Perreault, Petan
RW - Armia, Dano

Matthias (press box)

Roslovic (first call up)

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
i disagree almost entirely with your assessment of petan

i will say though, it's one thing to build an ideal roster on here and a whole other thing having maurice follow suit. he's most likely going to have lowry playing 3C again getting way too many minutes. but if that's the case petan still deserves to be in the lineup and should realistically be able to have decent line mates even if they may not be ideal for the type of player he is.

I completely disagree with your assessment of Petan, as well.

Let's wait and see what happens at TC, and then during the season.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Who gets the last RW slot?

Connor Lowry Armia
Mathias Copp xxx

Or do you have Copp on LW

Copp at centre so dano lemieux or lipon or tanev for the lw spot. Dano as the clear frontrunner. But dreger said chevy was looking for a centre in a trade then copp would go to wing with mathias and the new centre would be the 4th line. But i think they will go with mathias copp and dano.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
I completely disagree with your assessment of Petan, as well.

Let's wait and see what happens at TC, and then during the season.

i completely disagree with your assessment more though :popcorn:

but seriously i just want to see the best possible roster iced and having petan not on it is hurting the team IMO

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Copp at centre so dano lemieux or lipon for the lw spot. Dano as the clear frontrunner. But dreger said chevy was looking for a centre in a trade then copp would go to wing with mathias and the new centre would be the 4th line. But i think they will go with mathias copp and dano.

I think PoMo likes Mathias-Lowry-Armia. It would not surprise me in the least if that group is reunited for this season.

Perreault-Copp-Dano would be my guess as to a second bottom 6 line. Perreault with plenty of PP time, and Copp with plently PK time to get their minutes up.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think PoMo likes Mathias-Lowry-Armia. It would not surprise me in the least if that group is reunited for this season.

Perreault-Copp-Dano would be my guess as to a second bottom 6 line. Perreault with plenty of PP time, and Copp with plently PK time to get their minutes up.

I'd be fine with those lines for the bottom six.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

I disagree . Perreault i think will play most of year on the 2nd line till and if connor passes him but wont play any further down in the line up then 3rd line.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
i completely disagree with your assessment more though :popcorn:

but seriously i just want to see the best possible roster iced and having petan not on it is hurting the team IMO

I completely disagree that you disagree with my assessment more. :amazed:

I get the skill Petan brings, but i don't think PoMo is comfortable with his game yet at the NHL level. PoMo likes what he likes. Low percentage plays are not what he likes.

Hey, i've been at games where Petan has controlled the puck in the Ozone, spun around, and sent a seeing eye backhand pass to a guy back door. The player had not clue the puck was coming, so the play failed. Some how i have Thorbs in mind when i think of that play. :D

But that higher risk, low percentage play may work with more skilled players, or it leads to a turnover that is unnecessary in PoMo's eyes.

I don't see Petan higher on the depth chart at C, over any of Scheifele, Little, Lowry, Copp or Roslovic. So...

Is Petan > Ehlers? Nope.

Is Petan > Perreault? No chance he plays ahead of Mathieu.

Is Petan > Connor? I argue no. Connor brings skill AND speed. I see him having more upside and will be given an opportunity ahead of Nic this year, imo.

Is Petan > Matthias? Maybe, but PoMo likes his big wingers with speed. Shawn brings that for the bottom 6.

Is Petan > Tanev? Absolutely. But Tanev is on a one-way deal and likely pegged for the press box.

Will Petan play RW? Ahead of Laine, Wheeler, Armia? Nope. Ahead of Dano? Maybe. But Dano has grit and some skill. The Jets seem to want to keep him, or they would have just let Vegas grab him in the XD.

Petan will likely play when injuries hit. He has to show his game has evolved to be a more NHL game or i think he's Moose bound and then off to another team.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I disagree . Perreault i think will play most of year on the 2nd line till and if connor passes him but wont play any further down in the line up then 3rd line.

Perreault is a tough one to peg in the lineup for me. I do agree he's likely to start on the 2nd line, but a Perreault-Little-Laine line had very poor chemistry late last year. Maybe they can turn it around with more time together, but they just seemed out of sync.

I also think Perreault is passed by Connor once Mathieu is out of the lineup (we know he'll miss 15-20 games) and Kyle gets comfortable producing in a top 6 role.

Perreault has the ability to improve a bottom 6 line, and give it some offence, which is why i have him pegged in a bottom 6 role. Maybe because I remember how well the line of Perreault-Burmi-Dano played the end of 2016. That was a very effective 3rd line.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Connor-Lowry-armia
Petan-copp-dano

I see nothing wrong with that bottom 6. Offence on both lines.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Maybe you can't answer this because of your new job but how would you suggest to the Jets should they run the bottom centers then. Lowry/Copp as 3/4 and Petan in the minors centering one of the top 2 lines to see how his production goes?

Partially will depend on coaches plan for deployment.

I can say this, since I published this before I "went dark", I would do with the Jets forwards something like what Maurice did with the dmen for 2015-16.

Jets have some interesting pieces, but who seem to be fairly incomplete players (maybe in part due to youth). Lowry is just one example; he scores like a 4C at evens, but the rest of his game is much, much better than a 4C.

The Jets also have some good, young players that I think deserve a shot with quality linemates.

I would run 3 scoring lines and one defensive line for the bulk of the game. With each line being anchored by the Jets' 3 best results drivers: Scheifele, Wheeler, and Perreault. Other linemates will vary a bit game to game depending on health, chemistry, etc.

x-Scheifele-x
x-x-Wheeler
Perreault-x-x

The x's will be 6 of Little, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic, and Petan, maybe Dano is a choice, if he garners the conditioning to keep up with these lines, and maybe Armia is a choice, if he takes a development jump.

Copp and Lowry can fill in a pinch, but honestly I view those two, and Armia and Matthias, and maybe Dano, as more suited for the defensive line.

Now how you set up the 3 scoring lines will depend on how you want to divvy up TOI. If you want top heavy, Little will go on the Wheeler line, and you probably put Ehlers and Laine with Scheifele. Personally I'd like 3 lines of similar ice time, so you put Little with the Perreault line.

Now what makes this different than usual, and similar to the Maurice dman deployment 2 seasons ago, is the lines adjust when the Jets are leading.

The above lines would make the Lowry line a heavily used 4th line, sort of like Kruger in Chicago. But, I would lean on him a lot more when leading.

What I'd do is when leading you reset to a top6/bottom6 system. You sit the 3 weakest players in the top 9, and basically make them a sheltered 4th line, form a new top 6, and the Lowry line takes more mins while reducing chances against.

So, just one of many possible examples of this would be...

First two periods, or trailing in 3rd:
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Petan-Roslovic/Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Little/Roslovic-Connor
Copp/Dano-Lowry-Armia
Matthias

Leading in 3rd:
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Perreault-Little-Wheeler
Dano/Copp-Lowry-Armia
Petan-Roslovic-Connor
Matthias

Maurice did this in 2015-16 where he sat Stuart and Chiarot in the third, pushing Trouba with Byfuglien, whenever they were trailing.

I like this set up because:
* uses players to their strengths
* gives Lowry line more ice time than a 4th line
* shelters young offensive players with quality linemates

Last edited:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Partially will depend on coaches plan for deployment.

I can say this, since I published this before I "went dark", I would do with the Jets forwards something like what Maurice did with the dmen for 2015-16.

Jets have some interesting pieces, but who seem to be fairly incomplete players (maybe in part due to youth). Lowry is just one example; he scores like a 4C at evens, but the rest of his game is much, much better than a 4C.

The Jets also have some good, young players that I think deserve a shot with quality linemates.

I would run 3 scoring lines and one defensive line for the bulk of the game. With each line being anchored by the Jets' 3 best results drivers: Scheifele, Wheeler, and Perreault. Other linemates will vary a bit game to game depending on health, chemistry, etc.

x-Scheifele-x
x-x-Wheeler
Perreault-x-x

The x's will be 6 of Little, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic, and Petan, maybe Dano is a choice, if he garners the conditioning to keep up with these lines, and maybe Armia is a choice, if he takes a development jump.

Copp and Lowry can fill in a pinch, but honestly I view those two, and Armia and Matthias, and maybe Dano, as more suited for the defensive line.

Now how you set up the 3 scoring lines will depend on how you want to divvy up TOI. If you want top heavy, Little will go on the Wheeler line, and you probably put Ehlers and Laine with Scheifele. Personally I'd like 3 lines of similar ice time, so you put Little with the Perreault line.

Now what makes this different than usual, and similar to the Maurice dman deployment 2 seasons ago, is the lines adjust when the Jets are leading.

The above lines would make the Lowry line a heavily used 4th line, sort of like Kruger in Chicago. But, I would lean on him a lot more when leading.

What I'd do is when leading you reset to a top6/bottom6 system. You sit the 3 weakest players in the top 9, and basically make them a sheltered 4th line, form a new top 6, and the Lowry line takes more mins while reducing chances against.

So, just one of many possible examples of this would be...

First two periods, or trailing in 3rd:
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Petan-Roslovic/Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Little/Roslovic-Connor
Copp/Dano-Lowry-Armia
Matthias

Leading in 3rd:
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Perreault-Little-Wheeler
Dano/Copp-Lowry-Armia
Petan-Roslovic-Connor
Matthias

Maurice did this in 2015-16 where he sat Stuart and Chiarot in the third, pushing Trouba with Byfuglien, whenever they were trailing.

I like this set up because:
* uses players to their strengths
* gives Lowry line more ice time than a 4th line
* shelters young offensive players with quality linemates

Interesting.

Of course, you'd get absolutely **** on all over these boards for your "line juggling".

I also like that you point out that, other than ES scoring, Lowry is better than a 4th liner. He gets way too much grief, I think. Like '3rd line' Ladd did, for reasons other than scoring.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
roslovic isn't ready to play in nhl this year and playing him on the second line would be cruel to him and wheeler. sgarbossa has a better chance of playing on this team next year then petan . also a couple of healthy scratches are not sending mathias to the press box.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I completely disagree that you disagree with my assessment more. :amazed:

I get the skill Petan brings, but i don't think PoMo is comfortable with his game yet at the NHL level. PoMo likes what he likes. Low percentage plays are not what he likes.

Hey, i've been at games where Petan has controlled the puck in the Ozone, spun around, and sent a seeing eye backhand pass to a guy back door. The player had not clue the puck was coming, so the play failed. Some how i have Thorbs in mind when i think of that play. :D

But that higher risk, low percentage play may work with more skilled players, or it leads to a turnover that is unnecessary in PoMo's eyes.

I don't see Petan higher on the depth chart at C, over any of Scheifele, Little, Lowry, Copp or Roslovic. So...

Is Petan > Ehlers? Nope.

Is Petan > Perreault? No chance he plays ahead of Mathieu.

Is Petan > Connor? I argue no. Connor brings skill AND speed. I see him having more upside and will be given an opportunity ahead of Nic this year, imo.

Is Petan > Matthias? Maybe, but PoMo likes his big wingers with speed. Shawn brings that for the bottom 6.

Is Petan > Tanev? Absolutely. But Tanev is on a one-way deal and likely pegged for the press box.

Will Petan play RW? Ahead of Laine, Wheeler, Armia? Nope. Ahead of Dano? Maybe. But Dano has grit and some skill. The Jets seem to want to keep him, or they would have just let Vegas grab him in the XD.

Petan will likely play when injuries hit. He has to show his game has evolved to be a more NHL game or i think he's Moose bound and then off to another team.

This is a pretty good analysis. Petan is a bit stuck. He has the skills to be an NHLer but hasn't been able to effectively adapt his game from junior to the NHL. He also happens to play on a team with high end offensive talent that has taken up the top 6, with 2 more studs on the way (Connor & Roslovic). Petan really would have been best served by parking him in the top 6 on the Moose and let him play and adapt to a pro game. He has one more year on his ELC and I'd love to see him and Roslovic be 1-2 C's on the Moose and just let them play. There is really no organizational benefit to those type of guys being shuffled around as part time NHLers on the team's 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad