Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 17-18 Part XVIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
It's a new season of speculation! And the crowds rejoiced. "Yay!"

Continued from: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2351111

Some posts to get us going:

I just read that Lightning didn't qualify Byron Froese. I'd like to see the Jets sign him for depth and for the Moose.

New thread time, for 2017-18!

Elliott was never my first choice but I would be very happy with this if it turned out.

Wow. That's a very good signal.

Elliott always made a lot of sense.. Not going to cost any assets in a trade, good career numbers, worked well in a tandem situation with a young goalie previously.

Honestly if the org is still high on Hellebuyck (as they have reason to be) Elliott is pretty much tailor made for the 2nd goalie spot here.

I look at real estate in Vancouver all the time! Maybe he's looking for a nice summer home to enjoy our beautiful summers :sarcasm:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Elliot is better than nothing and better than spending assets to acquire a goalie considering our track record with trades involving picks recently. I am cautiously optimistic if we sign him for the next season.

Good thing with Elliot is that he's almost always been in a 1a 1b type situation so there shouldn't be any drama

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I would be happy with Elliott. Grubauer was my first choice before, but he quickly became too expensive (and has no track record of being a NHL starter). Raanta was a puzzling one - a good goalie for sure, but look at what Arizona paid for the package of him and Stepan. If giving up no assets and probably not that much money either means getting Elliott, I count that as a win.

He is not a perfect goalie by any means, but there are positives too. He knows the situation he will be in - not everyone likes sharing his net (see Steve from Philadelphia), which is what Elliott has done for a while now with the Blues and the Flames. Secondly, there is a chance that he will never have to be relied on as our starter - provided that Hellebuyck takes steps forward. Elliott is a perfect backup to have for him. On top of that, he costs no assets whatsoever.

We could do a lot worse, I'll tell you that much.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Should come cheap after his performance in Calgary. Pretty fitting for Winnipeg, looking for the best deal possible.

Decent stop-gap until Helle takes the reins with consistency.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Makes total sense from a Jets perspective. The cheapest option no other team really has on their radar cause they're all looking for game changers. We'll always bow out and settle for less.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would be happy with Elliott. Grubauer was my first choice before, but he quickly became too expensive (and has no track record of being a NHL starter). Raanta was a puzzling one - a good goalie for sure, but look at what Arizona paid for the package of him and Stepan. If giving up no assets and probably not that much money either means getting Elliott, I count that as a win.

He is not a perfect goalie by any means, but there are positives too. He knows the situation he will be in - not everyone likes sharing his net (see Steve from Philadelphia), which is what Elliott has done for a while now with the Blues and the Flames. Secondly, there is a chance that he will never have to be relied on as our starter - provided that Hellebuyck takes steps forward. Elliott is a perfect backup to have for him. On top of that, he costs no assets whatsoever.

We could do a lot worse, I'll tell you that much.

It's impossible to know how well Elliott will play. If he's as good as most previous seasons, that's more than good enough. With very few exceptions, it's had to peg the performance of NHL goalies in the next season.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
It's impossible to know how well Elliott will play. If he's as good as most previous seasons, that's more than good enough. With very few exceptions, it's had to peg the performance of NHL goalies in the next season.

That's true as well, but for the last four (?) years, he has had numbers better than any Jets goalie had last year. The premise should be that he is acquired to share the net with Hellebuyck, and whatever happens from there, happens. All I know is that with Helliott, our backup goalie should no longer be our weakness that costs us games, which Hutch and Pavs did last year.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Makes total sense from a Jets perspective. The cheapest option no other team really has on their radar cause they're all looking for game changers. We'll always bow out and settle for less.

images

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Elliot is better than nothing and better than spending assets to acquire a goalie considering our track record with trades involving picks recently. I am cautiously optimistic if we sign him for the next season.

Good thing with Elliot is that he's almost always been in a 1a 1b type situation so there shouldn't be any drama

I also think he is further along in his career and it will be tougher for Flaherty to screw him up. :naughty:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Might as well stick the tweet in this thread:

Like others have said, he was near the bottom of my preferred list, but he was at least on the list, which has to count for something.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Elliott should help to get this team into the playoffs.

I'm not as confident thinking he would be the goalie for a long playoff run, but does help get us there. Helle may still be our best bet for a long playoff run.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Elliott should help to get this team into the playoffs.

I'm not as confident thinking he would be the goalie for a long playoff run, but does help get us there. Helle may still be our best bet for a long playoff run.

How confident are you that any of your other options would out perform Elliott? I don't even try to predict. Goalies are hoodoo, remember?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'd be happy with Elliott to split with Hellebuyck until Helle is ready to be a full time starter (and hopefully a good one).

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I've long been fine with Brian Elliott as a cheap UFA signing. He doesn't cost any assets, and is a significant upgrade over what we've had in the past. >_>

Should the Jets try for Nail Yakupov, now that he's a UFA?

No. We don't need any more one-dimensional wingers on the team.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I've long been fine with Brian Elliott as a cheap UFA signing. He doesn't cost any assets, and is a significant upgrade over what we've had in the past. >_>

No. We don't need any more one-dimensional wingers on the team.

What dimension is he good at

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
How confident are you that any of your other options would out perform Elliott? I don't even try to predict. Goalies are hoodoo, remember?

Not very confident.

I see the goalie options now being Mason, Elliott or Bernier. Elliott has my vote since I think he can help us get to playoffs. He can get very hot over a period of time during the season. We just need a 2015 Pavelec run and we likely are back in. I think Elliott can do that over 30-40 games during the season.

I also think the playoff pressure gets to him. He isn't able to let a weak goal go in the playoffs, imo. Mentally he needs to be stronger, imo.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not very confident.

I see the goalie options now being Mason, Elliott or Bernier. Elliott has my vote since I think he can help us get to playoffs. He can get very hot over a period of time during the season. We just need a 2015 Pavelec run and we likely are back in. I think Elliott can do that over 30-40 games during the season.

I also think the playoff pressure gets to him. He isn't able to let a weak goal go in the playoffs, imo. Mentally he needs to be stronger, imo.

He seems inconsistent in the playoffs. He's had two real good years, two real poor years and an ok year.

I think people forget he took the Blues to the WCF the seaso before last while sporting a .922. That seems to indicate that he's capable of going on a run there as well.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Not very confident.

People forget Hutch played lights out prior to all star break .934 or something ridiculous like that.
Pavs played crappy except that 10 game streak.
Hutch is streaky also.
Think Hutch played well during the 7 game win streak to end the season.
Elliot needs to be good consistently not streaky

anttir3

Jun 25, 2017
Finland
I think Niemi would be a solid option to get if we could get him cheap.
He could play 25 to 40 games and be a solid pacemaker for Helle, no?
If we could save some cap space in order to get a better D-man I'd be ready to play Hellebuyck as a straight 1st goalie.

Nolan Giesbrecht

Jun 14, 2016
Was anyone listening to 1290 around 4:20 pm today?

I started listening in the middle of a segment and it seemed that Paul Edmonds was talking about something Trouba said at the exit interview that seemed to indicate he'd be open to a long term contract.

Anyone else catch this? Would love to hear the context for it.

Edmonds also mentioned that Trouba was against the hold out and only went through with it on his agents advice. Further, it was Trouba who was the catalyst in pushing to sign the bridge deal.

Anyone else hear this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->