Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 17-18 Part XVIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Look petan is playing on the moose next year. There is so many players like petan playing in europe. Small players who lit up the chl and cant transfer that to the nhl. He should go to the moose and start playing like pageau because if he keeps trying to play like gaudreau he will be in europe pretty soon.

This may happen, but it may not be the most efficient usage.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Blake Wheeler with Nic Petan:
59.4% Corsi
55.6% Goals

Blake Wheeler without Nic Petan:
54.3% Corsi
49.5% Goals

Wheeler needs Petan :naughty:
(yes, this is complete and utter cherry picking... that's the joke)

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
59.4% Corsi
55.6% Goals

54.3% Corsi
49.5% Goals

I think you may have found a worthy successor for your avatar. ;)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I want Lowry on our 4th line. Whatever it takes to do that. 3 scoring lines, and a checking/defensive (with Lowry on it) line.

Am I the only one that thinks Perreault Petan and whoever between Armia/Dano/Copp is a good third line that will score? That leaves Lowry between Matthias and the winger who doesn't stick there on our fourth line.

It's interesting that people don't believe Lowry can be a part of a line that can contribute at a strong level offensively. For the record I think we are putting too much emphasis on a the term third scoring line. What I want is 4 strong outscoring lines. A third scoring line is useless to me if they get outscored when on the ice.

Id rub something like this:
Connor (offensive driver) Lowry (Faceoffs, defensive rock with physicality) - Dano (good play finisher with some defense)

Copp (Physical defensive player with a plus shot) Petan (Skilled plaumaker) Armia (Strong defensive player and forechecker with untapped offense)

I feel that gives the re two balanced bottom 6 lines that can outscore the opposition.

I think if we could move the verbiage to 3a 3b we would be set. Is it just me or as soon as we say 4TH LINE do posters I love get defensive? we have more than enough forward talent to build up 12 + top 9 level assets.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Partially will depend on coaches plan for deployment.

I can say this, since I published this before I "went dark", I would do with the Jets forwards something like what Maurice did with the dmen for 2015-16.

Jets have some interesting pieces, but who seem to be fairly incomplete players (maybe in part due to youth). Lowry is just one example; he scores like a 4C at evens, but the rest of his game is much, much better than a 4C.

The Jets also have some good, young players that I think deserve a shot with quality linemates.

I would run 3 scoring lines and one defensive line for the bulk of the game. With each line being anchored by the Jets' 3 best results drivers: Scheifele, Wheeler, and Perreault. Other linemates will vary a bit game to game depending on health, chemistry, etc.

x-Scheifele-x
x-x-Wheeler
Perreault-x-x

The x's will be 6 of Little, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic, and Petan, maybe Dano is a choice, if he garners the conditioning to keep up with these lines, and maybe Armia is a choice, if he takes a development jump.

Copp and Lowry can fill in a pinch, but honestly I view those two, and Armia and Matthias, and maybe Dano, as more suited for the defensive line.

Now how you set up the 3 scoring lines will depend on how you want to divvy up TOI. If you want top heavy, Little will go on the Wheeler line, and you probably put Ehlers and Laine with Scheifele. Personally I'd like 3 lines of similar ice time, so you put Little with the Perreault line.

Now what makes this different than usual, and similar to the Maurice dman deployment 2 seasons ago, is the lines adjust when the Jets are leading.

The above lines would make the Lowry line a heavily used 4th line, sort of like Kruger in Chicago. But, I would lean on him a lot more when leading.

What I'd do is when leading you reset to a top6/bottom6 system. You sit the 3 weakest players in the top 9, and basically make them a sheltered 4th line, form a new top 6, and the Lowry line takes more mins while reducing chances against.

So, just one of many possible examples of this would be...

First two periods, or trailing in 3rd:
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Petan-Roslovic/Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Little/Roslovic-Connor
Copp/Dano-Lowry-Armia
Matthias

Leading in 3rd:
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Perreault-Little-Wheeler
Dano/Copp-Lowry-Armia
Petan-Roslovic-Connor
Matthias

Maurice did this in 2015-16 where he sat Stuart and Chiarot in the third, pushing Trouba with Byfuglien, whenever they were trailing.

I like this set up because:
* uses players to their strengths
* gives Lowry line more ice time than a 4th line
* shelters young offensive players with quality linemates

Thank you I found that intellectually stimulating.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Partially will depend on coaches plan for deployment.

I can say this, since I published this before I "went dark", I would do with the Jets forwards something like what Maurice did with the dmen for 2015-16.

Jets have some interesting pieces, but who seem to be fairly incomplete players (maybe in part due to youth). Lowry is just one example; he scores like a 4C at evens, but the rest of his game is much, much better than a 4C.

The Jets also have some good, young players that I think deserve a shot with quality linemates.

I would run 3 scoring lines and one defensive line for the bulk of the game. With each line being anchored by the Jets' 3 best results drivers: Scheifele, Wheeler, and Perreault. Other linemates will vary a bit game to game depending on health, chemistry, etc.

x-Scheifele-x
x-x-Wheeler
Perreault-x-x

The x's will be 6 of Little, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic, and Petan, maybe Dano is a choice, if he garners the conditioning to keep up with these lines, and maybe Armia is a choice, if he takes a development jump.

Copp and Lowry can fill in a pinch, but honestly I view those two, and Armia and Matthias, and maybe Dano, as more suited for the defensive line.

Now how you set up the 3 scoring lines will depend on how you want to divvy up TOI. If you want top heavy, Little will go on the Wheeler line, and you probably put Ehlers and Laine with Scheifele. Personally I'd like 3 lines of similar ice time, so you put Little with the Perreault line.

Now what makes this different than usual, and similar to the Maurice dman deployment 2 seasons ago, is the lines adjust when the Jets are leading.

The above lines would make the Lowry line a heavily used 4th line, sort of like Kruger in Chicago. But, I would lean on him a lot more when leading.

What I'd do is when leading you reset to a top6/bottom6 system. You sit the 3 weakest players in the top 9, and basically make them a sheltered 4th line, form a new top 6, and the Lowry line takes more mins while reducing chances against.

So, just one of many possible examples of this would be...

First two periods, or trailing in 3rd:
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Petan-Roslovic/Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Little/Roslovic-Connor
Copp/Dano-Lowry-Armia
Matthias

Leading in 3rd:
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Perreault-Little-Wheeler
Dano/Copp-Lowry-Armia
Petan-Roslovic-Connor
Matthias

Maurice did this in 2015-16 where he sat Stuart and Chiarot in the third, pushing Trouba with Byfuglien, whenever they were trailing.

I like this set up because:
* uses players to their strengths
* gives Lowry line more ice time than a 4th line
* shelters young offensive players with quality linemates

I like this post!

Though I do also question the Roslovic spot somewhat, we definitely have some questions around who the 4th center is going to be.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
59.4% Corsi
55.6% Goals

54.3% Corsi
49.5% Goals

Short sample batman but I remember how good Petan looked that one game with skilled guys. He was outstanding and could've had 5 points .

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
If you are suggesting we limit Perreault's minutes... :rant::rant::rant:

Don't worry, I'm not.

It's just that everyone wants Lowry on the 4th line, and wants the 4th line to get more minutes.

I guess I'm fine with that, but I'm especially fine with that if a less experienced '3rd line' is getting softer competition.

kaolinite

Oct 24, 2013
Petan needs a real chance to make a impact on this team.
I feel / hope he will get his chance early during the first 2 months of the season.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not so sure i agree on your assessment on Connor. I think that may have been true about his play in college but he was absolutely driving the play and offensive results on the Moose in his AHL stint. He was over a ppg and responsible for all the offense while playing on a line with Cormier and Lipon. Go back and watch the last game of the year when he was with Lowry and Armia and he created numerous offensive chances.

Connor was the driver in NCAA too. Look at what his linemates did before him and after him.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
When Connor finds his game in the NHL, and I think he's close, our top 9 will be the envy of many teams in the West. I don't know if many teams that can match that forward depth.

Calgary, Anaheim and Nashville may have deeper d corps than us, though that's debatable too.

So many options

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine - best combination we have, one best in league.
Perrault-Little-Wheeler - veteran line that wins any match up
Connor-Lowry-Armia - if Connor can add scoring to that line, that's a dangerous line too
Petan-Copp-Dano - not a traditional defensive line. They can score.
Tanev/Matthias - will get in plenty, and pk

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
I'm pretty sure Copp will play over Matthias.

For what it's worth, I think both are firmly entrenched in the plans Whileee.

As always, I believe the players will be given ample opportunity to forge their place in the Opening Day Lineup. Who, ultimately makes that final roster, will be determined not only by performance; but by circumstance (that's a reality of the NHL, that coaches must deal with). Contracts, position/usage, and role; amongst other factors, always play a part in every decision.

In my opinion, the players truly set/alter the depth chart. The coaches fill the game cards. My original take on the upcoming season looks something like this:

Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Perreault Little Wheeler
Matthias Lowry Armia
Copp Sgarbossa Dano

*With Tanev as the 13th. Connor & Petan will decide their fate through the pre-season games.

I personally feel that Kyle Connor 'could' make the transition in the early part of the season.....meaning, something like:

Connor Lowry Armia
Copp Matthias Dano

*With Sgarbossa as the 13th. Tanev would most likely be assigned to the AHL. Time will tell. :popcorn:

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
For what it's worth, I think both are firmly entrenched in the plans Whileee.

As always, I believe the players will be given ample opportunity to forge their place in the Opening Day Lineup. Who, ultimately makes that final roster, will be determined not only by performance; but by circumstance (that's a reality of the NHL, that coaches must deal with). Contracts, position/usage, and role; amongst other factors, always play a part in every decision.

In my opinion, the players truly set/alter the depth chart. The coaches fill the game cards. My original take on the upcoming season looks something like this:

Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Perreault Little Wheeler
Matthias Lowry Armia
Copp Sgarbossa Dano

*With Tanev as the 13th. Connor & Petan will decide their fate through the pre-season games.

I personally feel that Kyle Connor 'could' make the transition in the early part of the season.....meaning, something like:

Connor Lowry Armia
Copp Matthias Dano

*With Sgarbossa as the 13th. Tanev would most likely be assigned to the AHL. Time will tell. :popcorn:

I sure hope not. Although I do like sgarbossa more than most.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
I hope Sgarbossa plays as much as Howden...

Unless another Center is acquired (UFA or Trade), let the battle begin. Sgarbossa, Petan or Roslovic. This won't, IMO, be about pure offensive acumen. Time will tell.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Unless another Center is acquired (UFA or Trade), let the battle begin. Sgarbossa, Petan or Roslovic. This won't, IMO, be about pure offensive acumen. Time will tell.

Hopefully not. Also, hopefully not about our defensive acumen. Hopefully it's about who's the best overall.

Garret: that was an awesome read.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
When Connor finds his game in the NHL, and I think he's close, our top 9 will be the envy of many teams in the West. I don't know if many teams that can match that forward depth.

Calgary, Anaheim and Nashville may have deeper d corps than us, though that's debatable too.

So many options

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine - best combination we have, one best in league.
Perrault-Little-Wheeler - veteran line that wins any match up
Connor-Lowry-Armia - if Connor can add scoring to that line, that's a dangerous line too
Petan-Copp-Dano - not a traditional defensive line. They can score.
Tanev/Matthias - will get in plenty, and pk

I don't believe that Roslo is that far away either. Starting to look like a log jam. :handclap:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think if we could move the verbiage to 3a 3b we would be set. Is it just me or as soon as we say 4TH LINE do posters I love get defensive? we have more than enough forward talent to build up 12 + top 9 level assets.

I agree, I'd love to see us get away from the outdated thinking that the 4th line is scrubs that play a few minutes per game. We have plenty of forward depth to run 4 very good lines.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

:laugh:
I use 4th line. I put
Copp - Lowry - Matthias there, for example.
Some will then say that those 3 are all (maybe not Mattias) above 4th line level in some way. I agree. That shouldn't have to mean that we call them 3b (semantics). What's wrong with calling them a really good 4th line made up of guys who can move up when necessary?

4th line shouldn't be some kind of insult. Bad 4th line, like what we have had for 6 years is an insult. Good 4th line is not.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
:laugh:
I use 4th line. I put
Copp - Lowry - Matthias there, for example.
Some will then say that those 3 are all (maybe not Mattias) above 4th line level in some way. I agree. That shouldn't have to mean that we call them 3b (semantics). What's wrong with calling them a really good 4th line made up of guys who can move up when necessary?

4th line shouldn't be some kind of insult. Bad 4th line, like what we have had for 6 years is an insult. Good 4th line is not.

I don't mind the term 4th line but it seems like it sparks debate especially if we get Lowry anywhere near it :laugh:. I think the problem started with GST and then it became a place where PMo actually thought Thor was too good for one season meaning he made our 3rd line a 4th line and our 4th line must have been AHL level? The 4th line has always had Thor on it so it was usually a fighters line and has never really been looked at as a hockey line in Winnipeg or at least that is my take. I think a few seasons from now if PMo can move out of the cave and into the light it won't be swear word but for now it seems to be an insult to many.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
Players will get injured. Call ups and pressbox will change. Players will go up and down the line up.

I just want to minimize the potential damage of those three things.

well said man

it's about doing what's ideal, not just what is "good enough"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad