Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
That and then our entire top 4 is righted so there's that to

Why not think outside the box and play 2 guys on the right side at the same time and nobody on the left? Left side will suck, but the right side will be REALLY covered. Bold strategy, I know. But maybe, just maybe it *could* work. :)

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
OEL + Duclair/Domi for Matthews + Trouba

Getting Matthews has been discussed ad naseum on the yotes board. Makes zero sense for the Coyotes to trade OEL. It would decimate their defense.

Yotes fans are very interested in Trouba though.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Getting Matthews has been discussed ad naseum on the yotes board. Makes zero sense for the Coyotes to trade OEL. It would decimate their defense.

Yotes fans are very interstellar in Trouba though.

Fine. They can just look elsewhere for Mathews then. :)

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa

Yotes fans are very interstellar in Trouba though.

Yotes get: 1st OA (Matthews) + Trouba
Jets get: OEL + Yotes 1st (Juolevi? Chychrun?) + Domi

Otherwise, why bother? Keep Matthews.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

When OEL leaves as a UFA in three years, the Jets will have Chychrun and Domi and they will have Trouba and Matthews from the deal. No thanks. :shakehead

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
If the jets were to land Matthews would we consider trading him to the coyotes for EOL and there first if its top4 or later if PLD is still on the board?

Since we are just talking hypothetical and fantasy, I would trade the 1st to Coyotes if the following plays out

1st overall for Coyotes 1st round pick (8th overall?), OEL, Christian Dvorak

Then right away flip OEL to the Oilers for their 1st + Klefbom

Netting us 3rd or 4th overall, Dvorak, Klefbom, 8th overall for giving up 1st overall. It's pretty wild but would make for an interesting draft day, this board would collectively hyperventilate for a few days

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Why would we be trading 1st overall if we won the lottery? How about no...

Pick Matthews and thank our lucky stars we have a chance to pick him. The end.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Why would we be trading 1st overall if we won the lottery? How about no...

Pick Matthews and thank our lucky stars we have a chance to pick him. The end.

This.

The ****?!

Trade for the best player, people, not trade away.

PokerPig

Jan 10, 2009
Burnaby, BC
Posted this on the nucks board but were homers and overvalue everything.. What do you all think of this?

Hypothetical that Nucks and Jets get 2/3..

Alexander Edler, Jannik Hansen, #2 or #3 overall
For
Jacob Trouba, Josh Morrissey, Kyle Connor

I understand Trouba is the golden asset, Morrissey is the only decent LHD depth and Connor absolutely killed it in college and was a steal at 17...

Jets draft Patrick Laine and Jesse Puljujarvi, a future Sedin twin draft day combo.

Edler, Enstrom, Byfuglien, Myers is a very very solid top 4 all signed long term.

Hansen helps fellow countryman Ehlers and is versatile to play either wing.

Both Canucks have ties to Winnipeg and would likely waive their NTCs, make 7.5 mill total.

What say you?

My line of thinking is the draft day trades that brought Nucks #2 and #3 included trading Bryan McCabe (Trouba) and a 1st (Chi choice of 2000 or 2001, they chose #10 overall in 2000) for the #4 overall pick which started all the trades to get Henrik and Daniel.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Way too risky for us IMO. We're totally ****ed if one or both out of pulj/laine turn out to be not that great.

Would prefer to keep trouba, Josh and Connor + get one out of laine,pulj,pld, chych, tkachuk with our own pick somewhere between 3-7.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Posted this on the nucks board but were homers and overvalue everything.. What do you all think of this?

For

I understand Trouba is the golden asset, Morrissey is the only decent LHD depth and Connor absolutely killed it in college and was a steal at 17...

Jets draft Patrick Laine and Jesse Puljujarvi, a future Sedin twin draft day combo.

Edler, Enstrom, Byfuglien, Myers is a very very solid top 4 all signed long term.

Both Canucks have ties to Winnipeg and would likely waive their NTCs, make 7.5 mill total.

What say you?

My line of thinking is the draft day trades that brought Nucks #2 and #3 included trading Bryan McCabe (Trouba) and a 1st (Chi choice of 2000 or 2001, they chose #10 overall in 2000) for the #4 overall pick which started all the trades to get Henrik and Daniel.

I wont comment on the value for fear of being homers talking past each other. This trade does however seem to be a bad fit. The Jets organization has declared it's intent to get younger, and you ask that we trade youth for a mix of youth/age. It is especially a bad fit, because we lack youth at D, and you ask that we trade ALL of our young defensemen with top 4 potential. If they were a contender looking to win now, then you'd have a leg to stand on, but we're a lottery team. I advise in the future, before proposing trades, that you look at the needs of your trading partner rather than just your own.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

For

What say you?

2 past their prime middling players and a top 3 pick does not get you 3 young top players, or 2 top ones and a middling one. We take ALL the risk and you get all the gravy.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
OEL + Duclair/Domi for Matthews + Trouba

I wouldn't move Mathews for OEL and Domi alone let alone adding Trouba.

OEL is great, but he's also only got 3 years left at 5.5 million on his contract.

Forget the expansion protection issues the Jets would have by that trade (which is significant), Mathews not only wouldn't need to be protected in expansion drafts in 2017 and 2018, and the Jets get a guaranteed 7 years of service, and 3 of those as one of their top 3 C, and possibly as their top 2 C.

I'd easily keep Mathews and that contract and build around him.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

For

What say you?

Not even close to be reasonable for the Jets. Not even close.

Someone could possibly, POSSIBLY make a case to move Trouba for the 2/3 pick in some sort of scenario where his contract demands are high, won't be able to sign him, etc.

That leaves moving Morrissey and Connor (lol, no way), for Edler and Hansen. Not even close.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014

For

What say you?

Terrible.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Why not think outside the box and play 2 guys on the right side at the same time and nobody on the left? Left side will suck, but the right side will be REALLY covered. Bold strategy, I know. But maybe, just maybe it *could* work. :)

Can't be worse than playing Stu on the left side... :laugh:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

For

What say you?

Brother.

So I guess we get ridiculous trade scenarios now where other teams will take Connor "off our hands". Jets are not trading Connor.

Connor alone may be better than either Fin. No chance this deal is made. Zero.

Edit: a similar offer would be, Jets send Vancouver #2/#3, Enstrom and Stafford for Horvat, Demko and Boeser. Would Canuck fans do that? And Connor likely is the Hobey Baker winner. Boeser had a good season, but not Hobey Baker like. Enstrom and Stafford is better than Edler and Hansen. Just not a fit.

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Not even close to be reasonable for the Jets. Not even close.

Someone could possibly, POSSIBLY make a case to move Trouba for the 2/3 pick in some sort of scenario where his contract demands are high, won't be able to sign him, etc.

That leaves moving Morrissey and Connor (lol, no way), for Edler and Hansen. Not even close.

Not suggesting you're saying anything Huffer, just using your post as a jumping off point...

I think the Jets have largely resolved any issues they may have had with Trouba's demands by not re-signing Ladd. Not that I think they'll cave and give him Hamilton money. Rather I'm fairly confident Chevy will drive us all nuts and not sign Trouba until some time in August. I'm comfortable with the notion that Trouba will ask for that kind of money but I don't think he'll get it. Call it the Stuart-factor or what have you, but his metrics don't compare to Hamilton in the same scenario. I think he may well be as good or better than Hamilton but he hasn't had the opportunity and Chevy shouldn't pay for potential and likely won't. We'll sign Trouba, possibly for a big payday, but if we do, we'll lock him up for a considerable period of time (6-7-8 years) or we'll bridge him, which I think would be better for Trouba. I'm sure everyone wants money and term from the get go, but I think he may get a chance moving forward over the next two years to show what he's got (finally) without being anchored to Stu. That probably won't net him Subban money but it might net him a better contract than Hamilton in the long run.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013

For

What say you?

I think this is terrible for the jets...we give up way too much....Connor is practically worth the 2/3 pick by himself....which leaves Morrissey and Trouba for Edler and Hansen.... awful

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

I presumed the premise of trading Matthews came out of the story that he may not want to play in Canada?

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I presumed the premise of trading Matthews came out of the story that he may not want to play in Canada?

The story is BS anyway. Just Twitter crap.

http://www.tsn.ca/the-insider-odds-are-matthews-is-heading-to-canada-1.458256

The idea of an American ending up in Canada has apparently spawned an internet/Twitter rumour — now that I think of it, is there any other kind? — ‎that says if Matthews doesn't like the look of the lottery winner (read: Canadian), he'll re-sign in Zurich in the Swiss League, where he played this season.

Like most internet/Twitter rumours, there isn't a shred of substance to it. But it has nevertheless created some angst amongst the fan bases of the seven Canadians teams.

The big centre from Scottsdale, Ariz., wants to play in the NHL next season, wants to be the No. 1 pick in the draft and isn't going to jeopardize either of those for the sake of geography or appearing petulant.

Matthews' agent Pat Brisson totally dismissed the rumour with a "really?" and a laugh.

"No truth," Brisson said.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The premise is twofold. 1)Teams frequently/at least sometimes make offers for the 1st OA that are just plain nuts. 2)Arizona will do just that because Mathews is a local boy.

If the offer is less than 'nuts' I wouldn't waste my time talking to them if I was Chevy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad