Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Interesting, I've heard precisely the opposite

:dunno:

Might be a frame of reference thing. It was the school in St. Vital when I was going to high school (late Triassic) while Glenlawn was far and away the worst. Shortly after I left, Glenlawn trended up and kept going for quite a while - the fire that burned down the old gym was such a blessing for that school. While they went up, Dakota went down. Suggestions now that I hear (my kid is at Massey) is that Dakota is getting better but the starting point might be what we're not agreeing on. I think it's still the least desirable of the St. Vital high schools though (CJS>Glenlawn>Dakota).

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not sure where to stick this as it covers some Matthews stuff ( rumours ) and some Connor stuff ( should the Jets sign him now ? )

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/the-insider-ignore-those-auston-matthews-rumours-1.458256

I hate those 'Bettman is sabotaging Canadian teams' and any other conspiracy theories but WTH is going on? All 7 Canadian teams, not only out of the PO's but in the bottom 10 including the bottom 5 solid.

Toronto has been tanking since last season ended and the Oilers are the Oilers but all the rest were trying to win and several were supposed to make the PO's.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure where to stick this as it covers some Matthews stuff ( rumours ) and some Connor stuff ( should the Jets sign him now ? )

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/the-insider-ignore-those-auston-matthews-rumours-1.458256

For a player of Connor's age — he turned 19 in December and would turn 20 in the year in which he signed his contract — he needs only play one NHL regular season game with the Jets this season to "burn" the first year of his entry-level contract.

This is what I thought originally - this is what the language of the CBA says. If you turn 20 in the "year" you sign your contract it doesn't slide. Holden was saying it should be interpreted as "season" not "year" and this would be his 19 year old season not 20 and so the contract would slide. Hmmm...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is what I thought originally - this is what the language of the CBA says. If you turn 20 in the "year" you sign your contract it doesn't slide. Holden was saying it should be interpreted as "season" not "year" and this would be his 19 year old season not 20 and so the contract would slide. Hmmm...

I would bet big money that 1 is right and the other is wrong. :)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I hate those 'Bettman is sabotaging Canadian teams' and any other conspiracy theories but WTH is going on? All 7 Canadian teams, not only out of the PO's but in the bottom 10 including the bottom 5 solid.

Toronto has been tanking since last season ended and the Oilers are the Oilers but all the rest were trying to win and several were supposed to make the PO's.

It's just timing. All the teams are where they are by different routes...

Vancouver is near the bottom just due to where they are in their cycle - top team for a long time but didn't do enough to keep it going (and somehow frittered all their elite goaltending away to ensure the fall was steep).

Same for Calgary to some extent (they're just coming out of the bottom of a rebuild - last year was a mirage and most people knew it).

Toronto and Edmonton have been mismanaged forever and seem to have just acquired people who appear to be competent.

Ottawa's cheap and has a meddling owner.

Montreal didn't realize their success these last few years was actually a byproduct of elite goaltending.

Winnipeg has walked the playoff tightrope since 2011 and just stepped right off it this year. Once the writing was on the wall, management embraced the tank. Winnipeg's been cheap, too - trying to walk the line on a shoestring budget. I think we're back to bubble team next year and then look pretty solid in 2017-18 and on.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

Vancouver is near the bottom just due to where they are in their cycle - top team for a long time but didn't do enough to keep it going (and somehow frittered all their elite goaltending away to ensure the fall was steep).

Same for Calgary to some extent (they're just coming out of the bottom of a rebuild - last year was a mirage and most people knew it).

Toronto and Edmonton have been mismanaged forever and seem to have just acquired people who appear to be competent.

Montreal didn't realize their success these last few years was actually a byproduct of elite goaltending.

Winnipeg has walked the playoff tightrope since 2011 and just stepped right off it this year. Once the writing was on the wall, management embraced the tank. Winnipeg's been cheap, too - trying to walk the line on a shoestring budget. I think we're back to bubble team next year and then look pretty solid in 2017-18 and on.

Dispite everyone and their dog saying it

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Coincidental that is this bad this year but I think over the last 10 years Canadian teams have generally underperformed quite badly Vancouvers time near the top was brief. Ottawa and Montreal have had a couple of competitive seasons. Both Calgary and Edmonton had one and done fluke seasons in contention. That's it.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

It would be weird if it was age. He is a late birthday so as far as the NHL in concerned he was born a year later. Treating him as though his draft class was the year previous seems rather unfair to the Jets.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
It would be weird if it was age. He is a late birthday so as far as the NHL in concerned he was born a year later. Treating him as though his draft class was the year previous seems rather unfair to the Jets.

Whatever the official stance, the Jets better have that written in stone somewhere, because it would not be worth it IMO just to see Connor for a game or two this season and than have to worry about protecting him if expansion happens.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Whatever the official stance, the Jets better have that written in stone somewhere, because it would not be worth it IMO just to see Connor for a game or two this season and than have to worry about protecting him if expansion happens.

Expansion rules i know basically nothing about. Nhl doesnt even really know yet imo, so im not gonna speculate.

One thing that is critical is that ONE nhl game never ever matters(in terms of contract slide). Only time you bring nhl games in for contract slide purposes is the 9 game threshold. Theres never a difference between zero and one game.

As for the slide ill reconfirm in cba little later. Ill contact hfs cba guru (mouser) about it to confirm the intrepretation as well if i can. Hes one of the few people that often is able to show me up with the cba :laugh: (allan5oh and few others have gotten a few times as well though lol).

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
If the jets were to land Matthews would we consider trading him to the coyotes for EOL and there first if its top4 or later if PLD is still on the board?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hey, I pointed this out on the main boards at the start of the season and Montreal fans were maaaaaaad! :laugh:

I still don't buy it. The Habs are not that bad the same as the Jets are not that bad. Goaltending certainly was the difference maker for them. I'm not denying that. But their goaltender wasn't the one scoring for them. When he first went down they continued winning for some time with just decent work by Condon.

They have a severe coaching problem of the magnitude of Eakins in Edmonton, maybe worse. If they don't fix that nothing else matters much.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
If the jets were to land Matthews would we consider trading him to the coyotes for EOL and there first if its top4 or later if PLD is still on the board?

Edmonton would make that trade. But I'm not sure Winnipeg needs another offensive defenseman, even a left side one....unless they trade Trouba for Hamonic.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Too many 'ifs' but I would consider trading him to the 'Yotes if they wanted him badly enough to pay some crazy amount. It would have to start with OEL though which means it probably doesn't happen.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Too many 'ifs' but I would consider trading him to the 'Yotes if they wanted him badly enough to pay some crazy amount. It would have to start with OEL though which means it probably doesn't happen.

I'd do it for OEL, Domi and prospect Dvorak :) That should satisfy the definition of a crazy amount :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Expansion rules i know basically nothing about. Nhl doesnt even really know yet imo, so im not gonna speculate.

One thing that is critical is that ONE nhl game never ever matters(in terms of contract slide). Only time you bring nhl games in for contract slide purposes is the 9 game threshold. Theres never a difference between zero and one game.

As for the slide ill reconfirm in cba little later. Ill contact hfs cba guru (mouser) about it to confirm the intrepretation as well if i can. Hes one of the few people that often is able to show me up with the cba :laugh: (allan5oh and few others have gotten a few times as well though lol).

There is some detail about contracts rattling around in my attic that I can't put my finger on. It probably came from you. Something about it being a 2015/16 contract if signed before July 1 and 2016/17 if signed after. It wasn't about 9 game trials or ELC sliding. It was just about the contract's effective date. I thought it would apply here but my memory is just too fuzzy. I wish I could recall it but ....... seniors ... what can you do?

That is why I have been saying wait till July 1 and avoid the possibility of an issue. There is no reason whatever to rush. If Connor plays a game or two this year he either disappoints our excessive expectations or builds them up to an even more unrealistic level. Unless he gets hurt. I see no good coming out of it.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Well that is quite the overvalue of Matthews. They wouldn't do straight up for OEL, let alone their 1st on top of it.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Well that is quite the overvalue of Matthews. They wouldn't do straight up for OEL, let alone their 1st on top of it.

They would probably do it straight up for OEL value-wise, but would want a defenseman in return to make the deal 'fit'

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I feel a deal of Enstrom for Hamonic should happen.

That would be attractive to Snow why? Aging, expensive lefty for his young RHD with the nice contract. If he trades Hamonic now it will be for assets that don't need to be protected from the expansion draft. It may not be to a place Hamonic wants to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad