Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't see any reason why the Jets wouldn't sign him. We can give him incentives other teams cant.

He looks like a pretty solid prospect. No way the Jets don't sign him unless he refuses. Don't think that is likely.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

Holden would know the details better. But he can get a signing bonus now if he signs. Other teams he would have to wait until Aug 15. It's also possible to burn a year of ELC that other teams cannot offer. Sometimes it doesn't matter because of the age of the prospect (for example he signs now gets a 3 year ELC, signs in the summer he gets a 2 year ELC anyways). I think it's also possible to get a signing bonus now and one in the summer with us. My memory on this isn't perfect but you get the idea.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I heard that the team might not sign Phillips.

Caveat: Not from my best source on contracts, but still worthwhile enough to mention.

What reason could there be for that? He's been pretty solid and consistent. Far from guaranteed NHL player but after Comrie we've got nothing else in the system.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
What reason could there be for that? He's been pretty solid and consistent. Far from guaranteed NHL player but after Comrie we've got nothing else in the system.

All I got is a feeling the organization doesn't feel like he's as good as his numbers.

Maybe they still will. No guarantees.

I said to that person that I was surprised they wouldn't just for the depth.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
All I got is a feeling the organization doesn't feel like he's as good as his numbers.

Watching him a bit at development camp he seemed way behind Hellebuyck in terms of his movement, basic positioning, etc.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Watching him a bit at development camp he seemed way behind Hellebuyck in terms of his movement, basic positioning, etc.

He's an extreme long shot at best, but the system is pretty barren - especially if they lose Hutch this offseason.

That is, unless they extended Pavelec.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Expect to draft at least one goalie this year then. Gotta keep the conveyer belt moving.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

I've never been that high on Phillips as nhl potential but not to sign him would be strange. Maybe they think he's the next olki? strange tho after trading kasdorf, maybe hutch resigns two way?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I've never been that high on Phillips as nhl potential but not to sign him would be strange. Maybe they think he's the next olki? strange tho after trading kasdorf, maybe hutch resigns two way?

They have to give Hutch a 1 way QO to retain his rights. Doesn't mean he wouldn't sign a two way, but seems unlikely to me.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
He's an extreme long shot at best, but the system is pretty barren - especially if they lose Hutch this offseason.

Olkinuora will be gone too (plus he's horrible). I think they have a spot for Phillips, but I do have the feeling they aren't terribly interested in signing him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The system should lose Olki and Hutch (or Pav) this off-season and Pav next off-season, leaving only Helle and Comrie. They need 2 more minimum just to fill the Jets and Moose. It would also seem prudent to have at least 1 in junior or NCAA on the way up. They haven't drafted a goalie since Comrie.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
From a system depth standpoint it makes no sense to let Phillips walk.

Only reason it might make sense was if they didn't have enough room to sign all their up & coming prospects.

But unless they have identified a real weakness in Phillips game or a couple of real good UFA they want to offer a contract, can't see how this makes any sense. At this point, Olki, Pavs & Hutch all seem like dead-ends (although I'd like to see 1-2 more years out of Hutch before cutting him adrift)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Only reason it might make sense was if they didn't have enough room to sign all their up & coming prospects.

But unless they have identified a real weakness in Phillips game or a couple of real good UFA they want to offer a contract, can't see how this makes any sense. At this point, Olki, Pavs & Hutch all seem like dead-ends (although I'd like to see 1-2 more years out of Hutch before cutting him adrift)

Maybe they are planning on signing Hutch this summer. There's still room for Phillips though. Maybe they feel they can do better - find another Hutch type player.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

How is Hutch a dead end. Guy's career sv% is still closer to league average than back up average.

Worst case scenario he seems like a cheap backup. Best case scenario he bounces back after this season?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
How is Hutch a dead end. Guy's career sv% is still closer to league average than back up average.

Worst case scenario he seems like a cheap backup. Best case scenario he bounces back after this season?

I feel like Hutch could settle into a back up role here if Helly was starting. Helly would be the obvious starter while Hutch could refine his game learning a back up role. Don't think the pressure would be there that there currently might be.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The Jets have 41 contracts, fewer than any other team. The next lowest is CBJ at 43. Most teams have 46+, 11 have 48+. If that is an excuse there is something wrong somewhere.

Agree with the bold. Get rid of Pav by whatever means necessary. Keep Hutch as backup so that Comrie can continue to develop in the A. Pick up a journeyman AHL'er to back up Comrie and let Phillips develop in Tulsa for a while.

Get rid of Flaherty. Bring back Dusty Imoo. Not just back but up. His goalies don't flop around on their knees. Pretty speculative, I admit but I don't have confidence in Flaherty.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
The Jets have 41 contracts, fewer than any other team. The next lowest is CBJ at 43. Most teams have 46+, 11 have 48+. If that is an excuse there is something wrong somewhere.

Agree with the bold. Get rid of Pav by whatever means necessary. Keep Hutch as backup so that Comrie can continue to develop in the A. Pick up a journeyman AHL'er to back up Comrie and let Phillips develop in Tulsa for a while.

Get rid of Flaherty. Bring back Dusty Imoo. Not just back but up. His goalies don't flop around on their knees. Pretty speculative, I admit but I don't have confidence in Flaherty.

I don't know nearly enough to judge a goalie coach, but that said... a guy I know and an opinion I value highly (since he works with goalies and goalie coaches sometimes) says Jets will miss Imoo and Flaherty isn't that great.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I don't know nearly enough to judge a goalie coach, but that said... a guy I know and an opinion I value highly (since he works with goalies and goalie coaches sometimes) says Jets will miss Imoo and Flaherty isn't that great.

Yep - pretty much what the eye test suggests. Between that & the special teams coaches, we have zero chance of improving much next year unless the Jets start taking these organizational problems seriously

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yep - pretty much what the eye test suggests. Between that & the special teams coaches, we have zero chance of improving much next year unless the Jets start taking these organizational problems seriously

I'm not sure if any of our assistants are any good .... or not. As a group they have been failing for quite a while. They were all rewarded after last year's playoff. After a season challenging for dead last they should all be fired.

A little inhumane? Perhaps. But they are assistant coaches in a results oriented business. If they are actually good they will surface somewhere else. If not they will have to find something else to do or do it at a level where they are competent. At least they will leave with a nice severance package thanks to the extensions they got last year.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

Isn't Rick St. Croix pretty highly regarded? Although Reimer had a great year this year after Rick left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad