Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Listening to 2-3 of Wheelers interviews lately, makes we wonder if he's going to ask to be traded in the off season, if he hasn't already. Sure you can take his answer differently, more just unhappy about Ladd trade and the team poor performance over the last five years. I'm curious if Wheeler is the next guy asking to be traded or that's unhappy with Jets management.

barker

Dec 1, 2015
Listening to 2-3 of Wheelers interviews lately, makes we wonder if he's going to ask to be traded in the off season, if he hasn't already. Sure you can take his answer differently, more just unhappy about Ladd trade and the team poor performance over the last five years. I'm curious if Wheeler is the next guy asking to be traded or that's unhappy with Jets management.

I hope that isn’t the case. I think the Ladd trade, the loss of Little to injury, and the overall abysmal performance of the Jets this season has weighed heavily on Wheeler. I’m curious to see if he’s named Captain. If he isn’t, then I think it would be because he declined (I can’t imagine he won’t be asked), and that might offer some insight into whether he sees himself in a Jets uniform down the road.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

I watch most interviews and I can see a bit of frustration in him and I think that is normal and would be abnormal if he wasn't pissed off and frustrated.
What about the quality of questions he is being asked? Go and watch the question asked of him after the Chicago game....around the 9 second mark. Smirks twice, looks at the guy and then says, "Ya, I guess we didn't deserve to be on the ice with those guys." Then, he ends it with a barb thrown at the guy that asked the question at the beginning of the scrum....bush league reporters.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012

I am wondering about that too. I find it strange he was not made captain immediately after the Ladd trade. It should be a no brainer he is captain unless he is not in the Jets plans.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I hope that isn’t the case. I think the Ladd trade, the loss of Little to injury, and the overall abysmal performance of the Jets this season has weighed heavily on Wheeler. I’m curious to see if he’s named Captain. If he isn’t, then I think it would be because he declined (I can’t imagine he won’t be asked), and that might offer some insight into whether he sees himself in a Jets uniform down the road.

Agreed. I would be a bit surprised if he wasn't ticked off. Then he'd fit in well with the Canucks.

He might be a bit disappointed he wasn't asked to be captain immediately, too.

I think he'd be pretty short-sighted to ask to be traded now. I think this is going to be a very good team in the next few years, and he'll be a big part of it. He could put up some very big numbers, which would be good for his next contract. Also, if he wants to win, he can't be sure that his trade destination won't be on a downward trajectory, or at least not as promising as the Jets might be.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I agree Hunter that Wheels is pissed, and there is some concern that he isn't patient enough to wait for the team to improve with all the young players.

I do think Wheeler should be made captain, provided he buys in to the future of the club. But not till next year. New season. Clean slate. Handing it over this year for the tail end of an abysmal season would only taint the honor and impact of assigning him the C.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree Hunter that Wheels is pissed, and there is some concern that he isn't patient enough to wait for the team to improve with all the young players.

I do think Wheeler should be made captain, provided he buys in to the future of the club. But not till next year. New season. Clean slate. Handing it over this year for the tail end of an abysmal season would only taint the honor and impact of assigning him the C.

Agreed. At the end of the season have a long discussion with Wheeler. Is he committed and on-board with trying to take this franchise to contender status with the youth? If not, start looking at options to move him. If he's really on board and the Jets want to make him the next captain, wait until the beginning of training camp - new captain, fresh start.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I don't know. This quote from today's WFP doesn't make it sound like he's leaving anytime soon.

"I’m not going to pretend that this is an easy situation at all," Wheeler said. "I’m also not going to pretend that I’m not a part of what’s been the problem.
"The more people we have that can look themselves in the mirror and try to figure out what they can do better and how they get help us get us to where we need to be, the better we’ll be. That being said, every game I’m trying to prove myself, trying to prove that I can be one of those guys to get us over the hump.
"To me, they all matter. Outside of my family, this is what I love doing the most. I cherish every opportunity to go out there and compete."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad