Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wouldn't we have to bridge Scheifele and Trouba? Otherwise we'd be dangerously close to being a team in cap trouble.

I don't think so. We'd probably be wise to bridge one of them. I'm guessing Trouba will get a bridge deal anyway. He won't want to sign for the longer term he will be offered (by my guess) and the Jets won't want to offer him the $$$ long term that he will want. A bridge to let him prove his value will probably make neither side happy but will be a compromise that both can accept.

Then an acquisition like that might see some salary going the other way. So it would also depend on that. Maybe a package includes Stafford. Carolina might like 1 year of him. He couldn't be the main piece of course but might be a good secondary piece who did score 20 goals last year, the same as Staal.

Both more strength and more depth at C could not be a bad thing for us. Another experienced, still young(ish) veteran.

The price could be sticky though.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Except He didn't do it his year and was even sent down to the AHL and has been up and down between the leagues. Nothing like Scheifele.

Mis read the year. In any event he still had a fifty point season last year and had a down year tho year but that's not to be unexpected at such a young age. Stll has a lot of potential and while I place Scheifele ahead of him there is nothing to say that he won't get better.

Miles better then Armia.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Except He didn't do it his year and was even sent down to the AHL and has been up and down between the leagues. Nothing like Scheifele.

True he didn't do it this year. I'm not aware of the details that might explain it. Usage, linemates, etc? I wouldn't call his path up and down between the leagues either though. His first stint was at the end of his last junior season. His first pro season was split between AHL and NHL. A pretty common pattern. He played well at both levels. Then he played a full year in the NHL, scoring 50 pts. Then there was this year which had to be pretty disappointing. A sophomore slump? Like I said I have no idea what was behind it. I'm pretty sure our scouts have a good idea though.

At this point where he was drafted is pretty much irrelevant

Granted, draft position only matters on draft day. The same can be said of our 1st round prospects. Assuming all are living up to expectations then those numbers are reasonable. There is a question mark with Strome. In discussing trading for him it is taken for granted that he passes the due diligence to answer the question because if he doesn't you either aren't interested in him at all or are hoping to get him cheap as a reclamation project.

Do you know what happened to him this year? Why his production fell off and he was sent down for a while?

Habib21

Jun 23, 2015
Red Wings fan here.....

I'm wondering what it would take from your perspectives to get the the 2nd overall pick from you.
Knowing the Wings front office, Zetterberg, Larkin, Dekeyser, and probably even Mantha are off limits. (Maybe not Mantha)

This would be under the assumption that Matthews is taken first overall by Toronto.... so essentially we'd be targeting Laine.

I'm not as familiar with your cap situation or needs. I know you might have trouble giving Trouba his asking price by the rumors on other boards. I also know you have a lot of young talent on the team, and are pretty well sized as well... (Red Wings mostly small finesse team)

Just spitballing and would be interested to hear more on what your team is in need of.

What if offered for your 2nd overall pick:
Detroit's 1st (16th) and 4th rd picks this year. (We don't have a 3rd this year)
2017 1st round pick

Either of Nyquist or Tatar and a younger prospect/player like Jurco/Pulkkinen/Callahan/Sproul/Bertuzzi

We could take on a contract of yours if you take Nyquist to help offset the cap difference so that you can still go after your own RFA's.

Thoughts?

janneydraketkachuk

Jun 17, 2014
Red Wings fan here.....

I'm wondering what it would take from your perspectives to get the the 2nd overall pick from you.
Knowing the Wings front office, Zetterberg, Larkin, Dekeyser, and probably even Mantha are off limits. (Maybe not Mantha)

This would be under the assumption that Matthews is taken first overall by Toronto.... so essentially we'd be targeting Laine.

I'm not as familiar with your cap situation or needs. I know you might have trouble giving Trouba his asking price by the rumors on other boards. I also know you have a lot of young talent on the team, and are pretty well sized as well... (Red Wings mostly small finesse team)

Just spitballing and would be interested to hear more on what your team is in need of.

Detroit's 1st (16th) and 4th rd picks this year. (We don't have a 3rd this year)
2017 1st round pick

Either of Nyquist or Tatar and a younger prospect/player like Jurco/Pulkkinen/Callahan/Sproul/Bertuzzi

We could take on a contract of yours if you take Nyquist to help offset the cap difference so that you can still go after your own RFA's.

Thoughts?

No. Frankly not even worth discussing the shortcomings of this proposal.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Red Wings fan here.....

2017 1st round pick

Thoughts?

No. That's pretty much all that needs to be said about that.

Habib21

Jun 23, 2015
Fair enough....
Thought that proposal wouldn't be accepted....mostly because I'm just trying to gauge the value you think Laine or Pul are worth....

So again, I have no idea what your team is in need of.
That is why I came asking your thoughts.....

I admittedly over value our prospects and players..... as do fans of every other team tend to do the same. I get that the 2nd overall pick is going to be worth a lot, but keep that in mind when trying to place a value on it. These players are not Connor McDavid and have yet to do anything in the NHL..... it is still a big risk to trade for someone like that.
But I think we both can agree that it is a risk worth taking, as the top three this year look legit

Last edited:

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Fair enough....
Thought that proposal wouldn't be accepted....mostly because I'm just trying to gauge the value you think Laine or Pul are worth....

An elite scorer is exactly what the Jets need most. It is inconceivable to me that they would move this pick.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Red Wings fan here.....

2017 1st round pick

Thoughts?

[mod] The Jets had the lowest salary in the league this year. Cap space is the least of our problems. It could become a problem if we start throwing money around paying prospects based on their potential but right now we have more cap space than anybody. The rumours of Trouba's asking price are completely unfounded. Even if true we could pay it if we thought that was the appropriate figure. It isn't.

Second: With the off limits players you have declared there is nothing to talk about here.

Most of our young talent tends to be small and skilled although there are a few exceptions. Our needs are a dominant goal scorer (Laine) and top 4 LHD. Note: top 4 only. Not interested in utility D men or 2nd/3rd pair tweeners. A 1C capable of being top 10 in the league. Lesser players need not apply. Now getting into our much lower priorities, a proven NHL starting goalie no more than 25 years old. Another 3rd line centre wouldn't hurt, a couple of good D prospects, either side.

I don't see a deal here. I think we would need something like Larkin + DeKeyser. That isn't a proposal. I know you wouldn't consider that but that is the kind of return it would take. No bucketful of lesser pieces is of any interest. We have lots of lesser pieces. Would you take a couple of mid 6 prospects and a couple of later picks for Larkin? Well we expect Laine to be better than Larkin, maybe a lot better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Habib21

Jun 23, 2015
[mod] The Jets had the lowest salary in the league this year. Cap space is the least of our problems. It could become a problem if we start throwing money around paying prospects based on their potential but right now we have more cap space than anybody. The rumours of Trouba's asking price are completely unfounded. Even if true we could pay it if we thought that was the appropriate figure. It isn't.

Second: With the off limits players you have declared there is nothing to talk about here.

Most of our young talent tends to be small and skilled although there are a few exceptions. Our needs are a dominant goal scorer (Laine) and top 4 LHD. Note: top 4 only. Not interested in utility D men or 2nd/3rd pair tweeners. A 1C capable of being top 10 in the league. Lesser players need not apply. Now getting into our much lower priorities, a proven NHL starting goalie no more than 25 years old. Another 3rd line centre wouldn't hurt, a couple of good D prospects, either side.

I don't see a deal here. I think we would need something like Larkin + DeKeyser. That isn't a proposal. I know you wouldn't consider that but that is the kind of return it would take. No bucketful of lesser pieces is of any interest. We have lots of lesser pieces. Would you take a couple of mid 6 prospects and a couple of later picks for Larkin? Well we expect Laine to be better than Larkin, maybe a lot better.

Thanks for the depth of the response.... Makes sense.
Wasn't sure if there was a sense among your fan base of wanting to get more for the pick rather than keep it (like Edmonton would have been)..... I imagine your team will keep it and enjoy taking Laine! I wouldn't put it past our old coach Babs to push for Laine over Matthews...... might be an unpopular pick but could happen. Cheers and better luck next season.... I would bet that the Jets make it in the playoffs next year, and the Wings miss for the first time in 25 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thanks for the depth of the response.... Makes sense.
Wasn't sure if there was a sense among your fan base of wanting to get more for the pick rather than keep it (like Edmonton would have been)..... I imagine your team will keep it and enjoy taking Laine! I wouldn't put it past our old coach Babs to push for Laine over Matthews...... might be an unpopular pick but could happen. Cheers and better luck next season.... I would bet that the Jets make it in the playoffs next year, and the Wings miss for the first time in 25 years.

Both could well happen. Before we won the lottery I expected us to be much better next year but still in the lottery. IDK if Laine can have the impact as a rookie to make the difference or not. Time will tell.

You guys have got some older players that won't be easily replaced. Even if Datsyuk plays another year you may have to drop down and get some higher picks to rebuild with. I hope it doesn't take too long. G'luck.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Red Wings fan here.....

2017 1st round pick

Thoughts?

Just no. Not interested. We have no cap issues. All is good.

PS. Have you heard we are a draft and develop team?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
True he didn't do it this year. I'm not aware of the details that might explain it. Usage, linemates, etc? I wouldn't call his path up and down between the leagues either though. His first stint was at the end of his last junior season. His first pro season was split between AHL and NHL. A pretty common pattern. He played well at both levels. Then he played a full year in the NHL, scoring 50 pts. Then there was this year which had to be pretty disappointing. A sophomore slump? Like I said I have no idea what was behind it. I'm pretty sure our scouts have a good idea though.

Granted, draft position only matters on draft day. The same can be said of our 1st round prospects. Assuming all are living up to expectations then those numbers are reasonable. There is a question mark with Strome. In discussing trading for him it is taken for granted that he passes the due diligence to answer the question because if he doesn't you either aren't interested in him at all or are hoping to get him cheap as a reclamation project.

Do you know what happened to him this year? Why his production fell off and he was sent down for a while?

He played a lot with Tavares last season.

Habib21

Jun 23, 2015
Just no. Not interested. We have no cap issues. All is good.

PS. Have you heard we are a draft and develop team?

Even the best Draft and Develop teams need help in free agency..... trust me.... being a Red Wings fan I'm acutely aware of that...
But at the same time I understand not wanting to move the 2nd overall pick....... I would keep it too.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Even the best Draft and Develop teams need help in free agency..... trust me.... being a Red Wings fan I'm acutely aware of that...
But at the same time I understand not wanting to move the 2nd overall pick....... I would keep it too.

But when will we ever pick #2 again? We won't trade away this pick, not while we're still in the draft part of D & D.

It didn't help that your offer was pretty underwhelming. but refardless this team is not trading that pick. Trust me.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
An elite scorer is exactly what the Jets need most. It is inconceivable to me that they would move this pick.

inconceivable.jpg

:D

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He played a lot with Tavares last season.

Do you mean in his 50 pt season? Did he play C this year? Who with? Was this year just a learning experience or a sign of something more serious? Maybe he isn't going to make it as a C in the NHL.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Do you mean in his 50 pt season? Did he play C this year? Who with? Was this year just a learning experience or a sign of something more serious? Maybe he isn't going to make it as a C in the NHL.

Yes he played wing on Tavares line. Are you his point total spiked?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Red Wings fan here.....

Thoughts?

What would you expect to pay for Barkov, Landeskog or Seguin in trade?

That and a little sweetener considering Laine or Matthews will be on ELC for 3 and controlled for 7.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Something around Myers and RNH?

Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-RNH-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Armia/Dano

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Fair enough....

I admittedly over value our prospects and players..... as do fans of every other team tend to do the same. I get that the 2nd overall pick is going to be worth a lot, but keep that in mind when trying to place a value on it. These players are not Connor McDavid and have yet to do anything in the NHL..... it is still a big risk to trade for someone like that.
But I think we both can agree that it is a risk worth taking, as the top three this year look legit

Sorry dude,

It's basically quantity for elite quality. Plus 2 picks that will be both in the mid teens.

Jets need a player like Laine.
Larkin is the only guy Jets management will be interested in to start the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad