Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yah, depends on a few things. I want to keep Perreault. I really want to keep Perreault since I looked at his warrior chart. :) My first inclination is to extend him but maybe I leave him as UFA until after the expansion draft and then sign him. If he elects UFA then so be it. If he has been extended then it is a decision whether to protect him or Dano. That decision would depend on their play next year. If Dano finds his fit and takes off then it is a fairly easy choice to keep him. If not it might not be that difficult to expose him. We only have to lose 1 player. Maybe we expose MP and he isn't taken. Or maybe that is wishful thinking.

A lot of the decisions are best left as long as possible. Keep the options open and make decisions with more info.

MP's salary might be needed to get the 25% minimum for the expansion draft. But agreed no need to rush. I think a lot of things will start falling into place as the internal competition gets revved up to fill fewer and fewer vacancies. IMO by this time next season we will have a better handle on who has pushed their way to the top as part of our future.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We could have a handshake deal with him worked out and sign him on July 1st. I imagine it might be a strategy more than one team trys. I'm not sure what the league could do about it.

No need to wait for July 1. We own his rights until then. We could sign him the day after the expansion draft. The only thing is that he might decide that since UFA is so close he will test the waters. That's the risk we take. My gut feeling is that if they made him a good offer at that point he would sign. I'm assuming he is still an underrated player who won't draw the really big offers and also that he knows that.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Myers, however, is believed to have an NMC that will come into effect next summer.

Doesn't a new NHL season technically begin on July 1 of every year, with new contract years also rolling over on that date? If so, and Myers has a NMC that kicks in next season, then his NMC should not kick in until July 1. That would be after the expansion draft. In those circumstances, whether the Jets elected to honour his clause or not when they traded for him, they would not be forced to protect him in the draft just because of his NMC, because technically he will not have a NMC yet.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Signing Perrault to team friendly multi-year contract before the expansion draft and then exposing him in the expansion draft to protect the younger guys would be an epic "Queen Sacrifice" move. I want him protected though

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
If Perreault has another good year i don't think the Jets will be able to afford the ask

+1. I think Perreault will be a very similar case to Frolik if he doesn't play a let down season. A lot of teams will be interested and offer him 5M and he'll probably decide against the Jets offer which won't be more than 4M.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
against my better judgment, i posted on the main forum the following...we can discuss here too

I am a Jets fan and even when i think i'm not, i'm biased. So get your useless insults out of the way and then constructively respond to the following:

Jets have four D likely requiring protection in an expansion draft and are very thin on the left side.

Flyers have likely no D requiring protection in an expansion draft and have 5 young LHD. (granted I'm not sure how the rules will view said 5)

(i) Ghost for Myers + ah you probably don't even want to go there....forget it.

(ii) Provorov for Myers + ah you probably don't even want to go there but I am desperately in love with Ivan....so + #22, Lowry, and Petan or Dano

(iii) Sanheim for Myers

(iv) Hagg + #18 for Myers + #36

(v) Morin for Kostalek

C'mon man...stop hoarding your LHD!

(oh yeah...no mentioning Ehlers, Connor and Laine, please)

I'd obviously do 1 and 2, but I wouldn't do 3 and 4. 5 is whatever.

I like Sanheim, and he's putting up a lot of points, but it doesn't sound like his defensive game is all that improved. I'm not sure he's worth Myers at this point. Hagg IMO isn't in Myers league and the pick difference isn't enough to bridge the gap.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Doesn't a new NHL season technically begin on July 1 of every year, with new contract years also rolling over on that date? If so, and Myers has a NMC that kicks in next season, then his NMC should not kick in until July 1. That would be after the expansion draft. In those circumstances, whether the Jets elected to honour his clause or not when they traded for him, they would not be forced to protect him in the draft just because of his NMC, because technically he will not have a NMC yet.

I believe the Myers NMC kicks in July 1 of this year. Chevy has less than 2 months to move him if that's the route he is going to take. Unless his NMC died when he came here.

+1. I think Perreault will be a very similar case to Frolik if he doesn't play a let down season. A lot of teams will be interested and offer him 5M and he'll probably decide against the Jets offer which won't be more than 4M.

I hope he is extended this summer.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Similar to Frolik in that he also may be willing to sign a reasonable extension this summer. IMO, we should try to lock him up for another 3-4 years. He's versatile, can play up and down the Top 9, and without him the Jets really have no skill/vision Cs after Scheifele and Little. One of those two go down and suddenly Burmi's your 2C...I'd like to have a bit more insurance than that - it's the kind of depth a decent playoff team will require.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB

I think this is exactly the way it plays out

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Extending Perreault with the expansion draft coming seems to make a lot of sense. Versatile, hard working guys like him are pretty easy to fit on any line. I imagine there's a good chance he plays 3C this coming year. LW if Ehlers gets put back on the right side.

A lot depends on how our young guys come along though.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I believe the Myers NMC kicks in July 1 of this year. Chevy has less than 2 months to move him if that's the route he is going to take. Unless his NMC died when he came here.

Right, I think I got my years mixed up a bit. This year the expansion draft will be held (if there is expansion) before his NMC kicks in, so it shouldn't be an issue even if the Jets are honouring it after July 1. Doesn't solve the problem of protecting 4 defensemen, just one less factor to consider.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Right, I think I got my years mixed up a bit. This year the expansion draft will be held (if there is expansion) before his NMC kicks in, so it shouldn't be an issue even if the Jets are honouring it after July 1. Doesn't solve the problem of protecting 4 defensemen, just one less factor to consider.

No. NMC kicks in July 1, 2016 with the start of the 2016/17 year of his contract. If his NMC was not cancelled it will be in effect for almost a year before the expansion draft in June 2017.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Any rumors/indications on where contract negotiations are with Trouba and Scheifele? I haven't heard anything....

It's been awhile since hearing anything but I would imagine (and hope) there has been dialog.

I'd imagine Chevy is watching the World Championships right now. (Not that things can't get done with Larry Simmons as well).

It would be great to get this wrapped up though.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

There won't be an expansion draft this summer.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Any rumors/indications on where contract negotiations are with Trouba and Scheifele? I haven't heard anything....

Chevy did an interview on sirius xm and he said this about all his RFA's "not too deep in the process yet"

Sounds like only very preliminary contact so far.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Why would the Jets be reckless enough to honor Myers' NMC? I don't think Myers has a NMC anymore

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why would the Jets be reckless enough to honor Myers' NMC? I don't think Myers has a NMC anymore

I know, that is an unknown. General Fanager still shows it. AFAIK no other site gives a clear answer. I suspect you are correct but no one has been able to confirm that so far. A post was made incorrectly talking about when it would kick in. IF it exists it kicks in July1, 2016.

The situation is that if neither Myers nor Trouba is traded we have to protect 4 D or risk losing 1, probably Myers and probably lost. If we trade 1, probably Myers for an asset not a D who has to be protected we can go the 3 & 7 route. We could protect Scheif, Wheeler, Little, Perreault, the F we get for Myers, Dano, Armia. Lowry and Burmi are exposed. If we get something other than a F needing protection for Myers then we can add Lowry or Burmi to our protected list.

I'm guessing that it might be easier to trade Myers if we take back a forward who would have to be protected. That requires a trade partner with more forwards to protect than he has protections for and room for a D.

If Myers has an NMC kicking in July 1 it might be wise to trade him before then.

Or maybe it is better to keep Myers protected and lose 1 of Dano and Armia and just accept it. If Myers doesn't have an NMC we can wait and see how the players perform next year before deciding.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
**** General Fanager and their dumb ****ing name.

Giving Myers an NMC for no ****ing reason would be supremely dumb and and an instantly-fireable offense. Tell me a reason they'd be dumb enough to do extra work to bind themselves to the clause, then maybe I'll think it's an unknown. Not because I'm assuming General Fanager cares enough about the Jets or Myers to look into it.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
I know, that is an unknown. General Fanager still shows it. AFAIK no other site gives a clear answer. I suspect you are correct but no one has been able to confirm that so far. A post was made incorrectly talking about when it would kick in. IF it exists it kicks in July1, 2016.

The situation is that if neither Myers nor Trouba is traded we have to protect 4 D or risk losing 1, probably Myers and probably lost. If we trade 1, probably Myers for an asset not a D who has to be protected we can go the 3 & 7 route. We could protect Scheif, Wheeler, Little, Perreault, the F we get for Myers, Dano, Armia. Lowry and Burmi are exposed. If we get something other than a F needing protection for Myers then we can add Lowry or Burmi to our protected list.

I'm guessing that it might be easier to trade Myers if we take back a forward who would have to be protected. That requires a trade partner with more forwards to protect than he has protections for and room for a D.

If Myers has an NMC kicking in July 1 it might be wise to trade him before then.

Or maybe it is better to keep Myers protected and lose 1 of Dano and Armia and just accept it. If Myers doesn't have an NMC we can wait and see how the players perform next year before deciding.

Myers won't pass a physical before July 1st. The type of surgery he had on his hip is not the kind any doctor is going to sign off on until mobility is actually back to some semblance of normal.

If his NMC comes into effect July 1, the Jets just need to deal with that.

IMO, I don't think the Jets are really all that interest in moving him. They'll just set themselves up to protect 4 defenceman, or trade Enstrom for nothing to Detroit before the expansion draft.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

Giving Myers an NMC for no ****ing reason would be supremely dumb and and an instantly-fireable offense. Tell me a reason they'd be dumb enough to do extra work to bind themselves to the clause, then maybe I'll think it's an unknown. Not because I'm assuming General Fanager cares enough about the Jets or Myers to look into it.

Generalfanager just has the clause carried over from capgeek. In terms of verifying these things, get on the media's ass. The cap websites are just aggregators of publicly reported information. They have no ability to get such information from teams on their own.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

The Jets are one if the least infi driendly teams out there. Gen Fan and the other site probably don't know any more than any of us do. Mostbofbthisninside info comes from when the contracts are signed. Myers NTC,NMC details are holdovers from capgeek.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
The Jets are one if the least infi driendly teams out there. Gen Fan and the other site probably don't know any more than any of us do. Mostbofbthisninside info comes from when the contracts are signed. Myers NTC,NMC details are holdovers from capgeek.

logoff Aavco, you're drunk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad