Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I think Ladd signs. As much as he drives me nuts we sure could use his depth if he takes a home town discount. Next year would look like:
Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
Ladd Little Staff
Connor MP Armia
Lowry Copp Lemieux

I sure could live with that lineup. Ladd and Chevy are tight, so why not agree to a trade to CHI for a cup run and then sign here in summer a la Vermette?

Agreed. No reason why they can't do that.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Whatever happens with Ladd in the next couple of weeks, I'm really looking forward to the poll as to whether people are happy with the decision to sign/trade him. And I suppose the responses will be coloured by the terms of a deal or what we get in trade, but in general, I'm curious to see whether the majority of our posters support keeping or trading him.

Of course, there is that pesky third option. I don't think we would need a poll to find out if people are happy with the decision to neither sign nor trade Ladd by the deadline.

Problem with 3rd option is it's not fair to assess until after Jul 1. I don't agree with waiting til after trade deadline to sign Ladd, but it is still a possibility. People could have egg on their faces if he signs to long-term deal June 30.

For the record, I want to keep Ladd and would do everything possible to trade Pavelec, Stuart and Thorburn/Peluso.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Does this count?

Cheveldayoff: "Ondrej Pavelec is the No. 1 goaltender going into next season.”
- April 14, 2014

Ok, I try to not be pedantic, but: specific regarding trading or signing a player such as Ladd. He rarely tips his hand.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Ladd signs. As much as he drives me nuts we sure could use his depth if he takes a home town discount. Next year would look like:
Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
Ladd Little Staff
Connor MP Armia
Lowry Copp Lemieux

I sure could live with that lineup. Ladd and Chevy are tight, so why not agree to a trade to CHI for a cup run and then sign here in summer a la Vermette?

I could live with that assuming we sign ladd for what he is actually worth rather than for inflated UFA cost. But a bigger question is where do we slot Matthews in ;)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
Ladd Little Staff
Connor MP Armia
Lowry Copp Lemieux

I have to admit I like those lines. :)
I think it is impossible to pre-arrange that trade and come back deal but if the cap comes in low for next year the UFAs are not going to get what they were hoping for. Ladd may find that his best offer is still here.

If the estimates are putting the cap in the 68-69 range now the agents will be aware of that and of its impact. Ladd and his agent may be kicking themselves now for having turned down that earlier offer of 6x6. That should be off the table now.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Ok, I try to not be pedantic, but: specific regarding trading or signing a player such as Ladd. He rarely tips his hand.

Yeah that's what I thought you meant. I bring up that Pavelec quote because it was one of the most specific and talked about quotes in Chevy's time in Winnipeg. And it had meaning for the Jets future just like the Ladd situation. Just my two cents.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Signing Ladd for 6x6 could have some pretty serious implications on keeping the emerging core of the team together 3-4 years down the line.

We're already seeing Ladd get pushed out of his role that would justify that contract with Ehlers taking over on PP1 and Ladd playing more of a 3rd line role behind even Perreault.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Had to look that one up, wife tells me I spend to much time on the hockey boards, now I can say that i'm improving my vocabulary!;)

Agree on Chevy, keeps his cards pretty tight to his vest but he can here, in other markets the media has some GM's under a lot more scrutiny and some GM's leak a lot more stuff for different reasons. Kind of like Chevy's approach just not his glacial speed of doing stuff!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Signing Ladd for 6x6 could have some pretty serious implications on keeping the emerging core of the team together 3-4 years down the line.

We're already seeing Ladd get pushed out of his role that would justify that contract with Ehlers taking over on PP1 and Ladd playing more of a 3rd line role behind even Perreault.

That's my biggest worry but we can compensate by not bringing back Stafford and Pavs after next season. Then the year after Enstrom and Stuart come off the books. So there is the ability to shift money around D in the next couple of years.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't recall him being so specific regarding a player in the past. Do you?

No, but my point is that he still didn't say anything much. Sign or trade is just a list of the possibilities. Everyone already knows that. People are trying to read more into it. Some say that means he will be traded and others say it means he will be signed. It means neither. At least it revealed that something will happen before the TD and that is a big revelation by Chevy standards. :)

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I have to admit I like those lines. :)
I think it is impossible to pre-arrange that trade and come back deal but if the cap comes in low for next year the UFAs are not going to get what they were hoping for. Ladd may find that his best offer is still here.

If the estimates are putting the cap in the 68-69 range now the agents will be aware of that and of its impact. Ladd and his agent may be kicking themselves now for having turned down that earlier offer of 6x6. That should be off the table now.

I hope it is - that would have major cap ramifications for the Jets going forward, even if they clear the crap out of the bottom half of the roster. I think Ladd's camp misplayed this negotiation.

If he does get signed to anything like $6x6, I'm not going to be a happy camper. If they sign him short term, I won't be happy, but I can live with it - would much rather that they move on from him, and secure some cost controlled yet potentially useful pieces for him.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I hope it is - that would have major cap ramifications for the Jets going forward, even if they clear the crap out of the bottom half of the roster. I think Ladd's camp misplayed this negotiation.

If he does get signed to anything like $6x6, I'm not going to be a happy camper. If they sign him short term, I won't be happy, but I can live with it - would much rather that they move on from him, and secure some cost controlled yet potentially useful pieces for him.

I'm with you. The core is obviously not good enough to compete...why keep it intact? It's nonsensical.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Had to look that one up, wife tells me I spend to much time on the hockey boards, now I can say that i'm improving my vocabulary!;)

Agree on Chevy, keeps his cards pretty tight to his vest but he can here, in other markets the media has some GM's under a lot more scrutiny and some GM's leak a lot more stuff for different reasons. Kind of like Chevy's approach just not his glacial speed of doing stuff!

At times it is a bit slow for my liking as well, but it is far preferable to the shoot from the hip and knee jerk reaction approach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
No, but my point is that he still didn't say anything much. Sign or trade is just a list of the possibilities. Everyone already knows that. People are trying to read more into it. Some say that means he will be traded and others say it means he will be signed. It means neither. At least it revealed that something will happen before the TD and that is a big revelation by Chevy standards. :)

Agree, Mort.

He basically gave two options, trade or sign.

In "Chevy speak", that's more than we ever get. It's like a revelation for fans to hear he understands there are only really two options, and not some sort of "process". What "process"? It's sign or trade.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

At times it is a bit slow for my liking as well, but it is far preferable to the shoot from the hip and knee jerk reaction approach.

There has to be a middle ground though. You can't always just wait always see...sometimes you need to act and be actually proactive, not just getting **** done when your hnd is forced.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree, Mort.

He basically gave two options, trade or sign.

In "Chevy speak", that's more than we ever get. It's like a revelation for fans to hear he understands there are only really two options, and not some sort of "process". What "process"? It's sign or trade.

Agreed as well. Though I'd really prefer something happen over a weekend rather than 10:00 AM on a week day when I'm buried under a pile of **** at the office. It kind of sucks to join a discussion 8 hours after something major happens.

I have to do a little running around this afternoon, but a big trade around 4 PM would be just about perfect going into a 9 PM game :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The talk of a lower cap just cements that for me. Nothing against Ladd, really. But even for 5x5 we might be able to spend that money better elsewhere. There could be some really good cap dumps this off-season if we keep some cap space available. Although if he would come down that low Ladd would be pretty hard to beat at that price. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad