Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
New Thread. Last page of posts.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/decisions-on-byfuglien-and-ladd-can-make-or-break-jets-future/

According to this author....

The Jets were originally loathe to give more than about three years worth of term to Byfuglien, who turns 31 on March 27. Why is that? Because even though the feeling on Byfuglien is that he cares and wants to win in Winnipeg, nobody trusts him to stay in proper physical shape, a reputation he has earned by spending an entire career at various stages of overweight.

That goes to show what a prodigal hockey player Byfuglien is, that he could play at such a high level with a lax training regime, against a league full of players in tip-top condition. The fear is, however, that will change as a player hits his early- to mid-30s, when players tend to slow down and incur more injuries.

Could the Jets or any team Buff was traded to not put "physical performance" criteria into a contract to make sure Buff stays in shape or is this against the CBA? Or what would happen to the player if they just fail their physical in training camp one year? There must be some protection for the team if a player shows up in terrible shape you would think.

You are describing the arguments we all use every year to describe why this or that or another rental buyer paid way too much. Every year a bunch of rentals get returns that are completely illogical by that argument. Win now trumps it. Every year.

Using language like this gets you in trouble when your talking about something as esoteric as what this debate is now focused on (how other GM's will value varying sets of intangibles, it's completely subjective to the individual) as no one has any real evidence to either side.

But you were right with your last post, the jump in value from vrana/crouse/etc to 1st+dahlbeck is too big to set the bar there.

I think i would be pretty well fine with a Vrana/Crouse straight swap for ladd (these are guys drafted by teams in non playoff positions).

I would assume proper value would be something like a Late 1st and a prospect on the same level as De Leo/Harkins. Not something Petan level, but someone with still fairly reasonable chances of becoming an NHL piece of worth.

I got back to Kempe because i fyou look at it from the stance of say 28 ova and 30th ova, that seems like probably proper value. The only change their is Kempe's already trending closer to something liek 20th OVA value and that's where we run into problems again.

except the deadline two years ago. Which seems to be the imputus for every "buying" team to set their offers extremely low.

I'd say every other year there's a "filip forsberg for martin erat" type trade.

After Crouse they have Jayce Hawryluk who might be a legit prospect and Michael Matheson who does not look too promising at all and then nothing. Dahlbeck is playing in the NHL, something that few of Florida's 'prospects' will ever do. Who are these 10? People keep talking about Florida's wealth of young prospects. I don't get it. All their good young players are already NHL regulars. Who are these prospects?

All players sign standard player contracts. Part of the contract says they must report to camp in "good physical condition" and over the course of the season remain in "good physical condition". So it's pretty vague. But yes the team can fine or suspend a player for not conforming with the stipulation.

Ottawa's centers were 1. Spezza 2. Fisher 3. Vermette and I believe 4. Kelly.

So, your argument that Vermette played 2nd line and Ladd played 3rd line during their respective runs to the Cup is factually incorrect. Look up the ice-time distribution for yourself. And there wasn't one game in that 2007 Stanley Cup final where Vermette played more minutes than either Spezza or Fisher.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...e=3&sort=timeOnIce&aggregate=0&teamId=9&pos=C

As for the return, like I have said all along, I believe Ladd can return a better prospect than the Vermette package. If that prospect is Vrana, Crouse, etc.. then yes, the pick likely is not a 1st, maybe a 2nd or not even. I was spit balling when making those proposals but if you take a look I even have 2nd rounders in the package when I listed Vrana, Crouse, etc. I am listing in the ballpark of what I believe Ladd can fetch us via trade.

We will simply agree to disagree on Vermette vs. Ladd as a playoff rental, experience, etc.. as I value a guy with 2 cup wins and the experience that goes with it, combined with Ladd's career resume, over Vermette's. But that's just my own opinion.

Tinfoil hat Alert.

I have this sneaking suspicion (100% gut) that Postma might be in play as part of a "possible" package with Ladd. Felt like odd timing to get him on a conditioning stint unless it was to polish him up for trade? So now a team can get a bit of juice on the Ladd deal by bringing back a proven bottom pairing RHD man that would be an awesome PP2 low cost asset.

Your A prospect LHD plus a 1st for Ladd and Postma? Only works if the other team wanted Postma in the deal too.

Dahlbeck's in the NHL but his upside is very low. He's a 3rd pairing and PK guy but lacks the tools to be much more. And he's already 24 years old.

Is he useful? Certainly. But he's the kind of player you can probably find in UFA if you need one.

IMO Hawryluk, Matheson, Grimaldi, Petrovic, Brickley, McCoshen and Lammikko are all better prospects than Dahlbeck was when he was traded. Guys like Schmitsch, Malgin and Rau are more debatable.

Of course very few of these players will ever carve out an NHL career for themselves, but a guy with a 30/70 shot at a decent 2nd line career is still a more valuable prospect than a guy with a 90% chance being 3rd pairing or a low end 3rd liner/high end 4th liner.

To me Howden is a good example of what Dahlbeck is/was. A guy who is really close to being a solid NHL player, but unlikely to ever go past their entry level position (3rd/4th line and 3rd pairing respectively).

Vermette (and Kelly) spent a good amount of time in the playoffs playing wing. But in any case Vermette averaged 16:19 of icetime during those playoffs, 5th among Sens forwards. Ladd never averaged more than 13 in any of the cup runs.

Regarding the package, find the last time a prospect the quality of Crouse or Vrana was traded for a rental at the deadline.

The reason prospects like that don't get traded is because teams simply don't have to part with them to get the deal done.

What is another team going to offer that puts the Panthers/Capitals in a position where the Jets can just take the other deal?

If the Caps offer a 1st and Bowey what is another team going to offer that forces them to go to Vrana?

Hawryluk shows some potential. Matheson is a weak defense offensive defenseman who isn't scoring in the AHL. Grimaldi is a size of player who needs to score a lot to justify a position. He scores a little in the AHL. Not a lot. Not in the NHL. He is in D+5 and is nowhere near NHL ready. Petrovic is in the NHL, a bottom pair RHD. He would line up behind Postma. Ian McCoshen might be a prospect. Brickley is maybe about even with Dahlbeck but hasn't shown a lot. More of the same. None of them are anything to get excited about. What Florida has outside the NHL is Crouse & Hawryluk. I don't see any 30% chances of top6 there. TBH I don't see much chance of bottom 6 either. There is nothing there I would want.

You need to pick your arguments and facts and stick to them. In your post quoted above you state "Vermette played a good amount of wing in that playoff run" yet in the post prior to that when you replied to me you said he was a "main faceoff man", which makes him a center. You're arguments are flipping back and forth here.

I can't answer your question re; what is another team going to offer because we have no idea. I simply made some proposals that I personally think will be in the ballpark. You don't agree and that is okay.

We're going in circles here, so let's just agree to disagree.

I think he's on the market as well, but my suspicion is its more to do with Drouin. He went to the AHL around the same time the whole Drouin story broke and allegedly Tampa wants a young cost controlled defense man as part of the package.

As much as I agree that the chances of us getting an A prospect are slim, as has been pointed out to me Forsberg went at the deadline a few years ago and Duclair went last year. At the time I wouldn't necessarily have rated Duclair as an A prospect but he's delivering as one this year.

Look at exactly what I wrote. I said he was a 2nd liner and the main faceoff man. Both statements are true. I never wrote that he was the 2nd line center. He played wing but took faceoffs. Like he did for a lot of the time he was in Ottawa.

Disagree is fine, but IMO proposals like this on the Jets board make it a worse place in the long run. People see stuff like this and when Ladd gets moved for whatever he goes for, people will be claiming the sky is falling.

There is data out there that allows us to make an educated guess at what the return may be on a rental like Ladd. It points to a 1st and a prospect. The quality of that prospect can go up and down based on a team's view of Ladd, but it probably looks like a guy who has been drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round in the last two drafts and has performed decent since then.

Erat wasn't a rental. He had a year left to go on his contract.

Duclair, like you kind of said, wasn't necessarily an A level prospect. He was in a strange area, drafted in the 3rd round but over performed his way on to the roster. But not a guy with the draft pedigree of Crouse of Vrana.

You guys think Postma has trade value beyond 7th round pick?

Has he even dressed for a dozen games in that last 13 months?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/d...k-jets-future/

According to this author....

The Jets were originally loathe to give more than about three years worth of term to Byfuglien, who turns 31 on March 27. Why is that? Because even though the feeling on Byfuglien is that he cares and wants to win in Winnipeg, nobody trusts him to stay in proper physical shape, a reputation he has earned by spending an entire career at various stages of overweight.

That goes to show what a prodigal hockey player Byfuglien is, that he could play at such a high level with a lax training regime, against a league full of players in tip-top condition. The fear is, however, that will change as a player hits his early- to mid-30s, when players tend to slow down and incur more injuries.

Pretty sure the writer meant prodigious (so great in size or force or extent as to elicit awe; far beyond what is usual in magnitude or degree) not prodigal (recklessly wasteful). But it is Sportsnet, so who knows?

Speaking of who knows . . . for all we know, in five years Buff the man mountain might lose very little of his physical ability. It's still a risk, but not as much of one as Ladd presents, IMO.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Tinfoil hat Alert.

I have this sneaking suspicion (100% gut) that Postma might be in play as part of a "possible" package with Ladd. Felt like odd timing to get him on a conditioning stint unless it was to polish him up for trade? So now a team can get a bit of juice on the Ladd deal by bringing back a proven bottom pairing RHD man that would be an awesome PP2 low cost asset.

Your A prospect LHD plus a 1st for Ladd and Postma? Only works if the other team wanted Postma in the deal too.

A deal with Postma has the same value as a deal without Postma...

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Haven't seen any discussion on this. Is Chevy for real? Hopefully Dreger has wrong info here.That's higher than Victor Hedman. The same as Doughty and Karlsson for a player who hasn't even come close to that level. I will be sick if we sign Trouba to that deal. Doughty level money for a defenseman with Adam Larsson/Kulikov level results who is an RFA with no leverage, during a time when a guy like Klingberg just signed a deal for less than 4.5 million :shakehead

For the sake of this franchise, lets hope Dreger has his facts wrong

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Haven't seen any discussion on this. Is Chevy for real? Hopefully Dreger has wrong info here.That's higher than Victor Hedman. The same as Doughty and Karlsson for a player who hasn't even come close to that level. I will be sick if we sign Trouba to that deal. Doughty level money for a defenseman with Adam Larsson/Kulikov level results who is an RFA with no leverage, during a time when a guy like Klingberg just signed a deal for less than 4.5 million :shakehead

How does Chevy control what Trouba's camp wants? Seems to me he can't win either way. He is lazy or a ditherer if he doesn't meet a contract demand or incompetent if he doesn't have someone signed already? If only everyone would just sign for the exact amount and term and on the agreed upon date of HFBoards posters everything would be fine. Maybe he should just tell the agents what we have all agreed a player is worth and save all this negotiated time :sarcasm:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
How does Chevy control what Trouba's camp wants? Seems to me he can't win either way. He is lazy or a ditherer if he doesn't meet a contract demand or incompetent if he doesn't have someone signed already? If only everyone would just sign for the exact amount and term and on the agreed upon date of HFBoards posters everything would be fine. Maybe he should just tell the agents what we have all agreed a player is worth and save all this negotiated time :sarcasm:

My interpretation of that tweet was that Dreger is saying that that Jets and Trouba are closing in on a 6.5 million dollar deal. If Dreger was just restating Trouba's demands then my apologies to Chevy

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
My interpretation of that tweet was that Dreger is saying that that Jets and Trouba are closing in on a 6.5 million dollar deal. If Dreger was just restating Trouba's demands then my apologies to Chevy

They may or may not be. There are 100's of rumours and only a small fraction ever turn out to be true. We will see how it all plays out. My guess is Chevy is trying to get as close a handle as possible on all the competing contract demands. He has 4 significant pieces that all need to be either signed or moved. And I'm sure he is also thinking that in a couple years, a now 19 yo Dane just might want a pocket full of cash.

But if it came down to it I'd much rather pay Trouba $6+ long term than Ladd. At least the potential exists that in a couple years it will present value.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
They may or may not be. There are 100's of rumours and only a small fraction ever turn out to be true. We will see how it all plays out. My guess is Chevy is trying to get as close a handle as possible on all the competing contract demands. He has 4 significant pieces that all need to be either signed or moved. And I'm sure he is also thinking that in a couple years, a now 19 yo Dane just might want a pocket full of cash.

But if it came down to it I'd much rather pay Trouba $6+ long term than Ladd. At least the potential exists that in a couple years it will present value.

Bingo! This ties up Trouba for the prime of his career. Enstrom wont be here after his contract expires, maybe sooner, who knows, Myers and Trouba are your one two punch going forward.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I really hope that tweet is indeed the ask from Trouba's side only because IMO that's not a good contract for the Jets (and I want to have Trouba locked up long term).

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Doughty signed that deal 5 years ago. You have to pay these young d-men if you think they're long-term pieces here. Points don't drive defencemen's contracts, but larger factors. I think we'll be very happy with Trouba's deal if it's around 6.5m/yr by the end of it.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The context is missing from the Dredger quote. Has amyone actually heard the audio and what question he was answering?

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Doughty signed that deal 5 years ago. You have to pay these young d-men if you think they're long-term pieces here. Points don't drive defencemen's contracts, but larger factors. I think we'll be very happy with Trouba's deal if it's around 6.5m/yr by the end of it.

These are exactly my thoughts as well.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That would be ridiculous. I'd much rather just trade him for Hamonic.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I do find it funny that Chevy is criticized for being a cap floor team but then is also criticized when he is thinking about spending money to lock up a keystone piece on the blueline to a long-term deal. You pay a bit more now to have a bargain later on. I'd actually be interested to see people's thoughts on the Wheeler and Little deals when they happened, as well as Bogosian.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That isn't the proposition though. That would just be a terrible contract for Trouba. It has to be judged on its own not as compared to some hypothetical other terrible contract.

I really hope that tweet is indeed the ask from Trouba's side only because IMO that's not a good contract for the Jets (and I want to have Trouba locked up long term).

I wouldn't even be happy with them starting that high as it would indicate unrealistic expectations. If they are starting at 7 then it is likely to be a long and difficult negotition. However they can ask for the moon to start if they want to.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I do find it funny that Chevy is criticized for being a cap floor team but then is also criticized when he is thinking about spending money to lock up a keystone piece on the blueline to a long-term deal. You pay a bit more now to have a bargain later on. I'd actually be interested to see people's thoughts on the Wheeler and Little deals when they happened, as well as Bogosian.

He's not being criticized for spending money. He's being criticized for over spending on an unproven defenceman. IMO it's always better to pay for what you know you have then gamble on a longer term deal that may or may not pan out in your favour. ie Trouba should be bridged for two years at $3mm then signed long term (see Subban). I'd rather pay him $8.5mm in two years if he's proven himself, then $7mm now on the chance that that may be a bargain in 5 years.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

In regards to this Trouba tweet, to me it's not about "spending money" it's that this ask is significantly higher than his peers and comparables. Klingberg for instance.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Doughty scored 126 pts during his ELC. Plus 11 PO pts. Trouba has scored 61 + whatever he gets the rest of this year. Plus 2 PO pts. That makes it look like Trouba should expect more like 8x3.5. I don't expect it to be that low but Trouba just hasn't demonstrated enough to justify numbers in the Doughty neighbourhood.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Doughty scored 126 pts during his ELC. Plus 11 PO pts. Trouba has scored 61 + whatever he gets the rest of this year. Plus 2 PO pts. That makes it look like Trouba should expect more like 8x3.5. I don't expect it to be that low but Trouba just hasn't demonstrated enough to justify numbers in the Doughty neighbourhood.

Agreed, he shouldn't get a cent more than Hamilton.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
In regards to this Trouba tweet, to me it's not about "spending money" it's that this ask is significantly higher than his peers and comparables. Klingberg for instance.

Not really sure that Klingberg is a peer - I think Trouba will be more effective than Klingberg as a defenceman, and you have to take into account the actual defending when you pay a guy. Guys like Subban and Karlsson have a lot of money committed to them but their defending is a bit sub-par. Klingberg is a bit of an outlier, I think - but I wouldn't mind $6m on Trouba. There's no income tax in Texas, either, which certainly helps dollar wise.

The above poster suggested a Dougie Hamilton type contract - I agree with that. His cap hit is 5.75 million, and it's a good comparable.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Chevy/TNSE's refusal to spend is precisely why that deal would suck. If he is paying Trouba superstar money that doesn't mean he is going to start spending more in aggregate, just like when we overpaid Stu Pavelec we didn't raise our cap spending to account for it. No we just spent less elsewhere. Every dollar that you overpay a guy like Trouba with is one less dollar that you are spending on improving another area of your team.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
There is about to be a new market set for young RFA Dmen

Jones
Ristolainen
Trouba
Maatta
Lindholm
Dumba
Rielly

Among others are all RFA this summer. Who goes first?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Here's the thread when Wheeler signed: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1476229

Little: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1473699

Bogo: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1477365

It's funny that Lawless was reporting that Bogo was looking for Doughty money ($7M - exactly what Trouba's reportedly asking for...WHAT A COINCIDENCE! :sarcasm:) and things were heading to arbitration the very morning he signed...

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Not really sure that Klingberg is a peer - I think Trouba will be more effective than Klingberg as a defenceman, and you have to take into account the actual defending when you pay a guy. Guys like Subban and Karlsson have a lot of money committed to them but their defending is a bit sub-par. Klingberg is a bit of an outlier, I think - but I wouldn't mind $6m on Trouba. There's no income tax in Texas, either, which certainly helps dollar wise.

You can chose to believe that all you want, doesn't make it reality. I doubt there are many people in the hockey fan and business community that won't take Klingberg, Subban, Karlsson over Trouba now and 6 years from now 10 times out of 10. It seems to me your opinion is heavily fogged by homer glasses ;)

The above poster suggested a Dougie Hamilton type contract - I agree with that. His cap hit is 5.75 million, and it's a good comparable.

In his contract year Hamilton put up #1 DMan esque numbers and still got "just" 5.5 million. Trouba is on pace for less than 20 points in his contract year. I wouldn't even use Hamilton as a comparable for Trouba. Adam Larrson and Kulikov after his ELC is whom Trouba resembles the closest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad