Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think they will sign both to bridge deals. A falling cap is a good leverage point for the Jets. A) Team (arguably) can't afford cap hit of long term deals now - but skies will be brighter in a couple of years. B) Fewer teams have the room to sign one of these guys to an offer sheet (and there weren't a ton to begin with). It's basically my-way-or-the-highway. No one's making an offer, so sign on the dotted line or have fun in Siberia.

Agreed that a falling cap makes bridge deals more likely, but I'm guessing Chevy will be a little less adversarial with 2 key parts of our future.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets were not an expansion team. They did not start from zero. They started with Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Kane, Burmi, Enstrom, Buff, Oduya, Hainsey, Bogo. That's 5 years worth of building there so we are in year 10.

If you go back to the Atlanta days this organization has been building since 1999. They sure ended up ******* away a lot of top 5 picks early on.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No doubt, Ladd is huge to any team's playoff/cup chances. Not disputing that at all.

I hope you're right.

If Chevy does end up resigning Ladd instead of trading him, it's going to kill me not knowing what kind of offers he got. :laugh:

That might be the worst part. :laugh: I'm going to believe Ducks offered Larsson and a first and Chevy turned it down for a handful of magic beans. *** **** it Chevy! Where's my pitchfork? :laugh:

If the alternative is Ladd signed for too much too long I'd rather have the return whether it knocks my socks off or not.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the cap rumours are true, Chevy needs to trim as much dead weight as possible. Ladd should for sure be traded for picks and/or younger players (not that he quite qualifies as "dead weight"); all of Stuart, Pavelec, Peluso, and Thorburn should be dealt for ANYTHING that another team will give, including future considerations; and bridge deals should be a strong consideration for Scheifele and Trouba.

The name of the game this offseason will be flexibility. There will be ample opportunity for big upgrades at reasonable prices. Dammit, if I wasn't so busy these days I'd throw together some analysis looking at how much cap space will be available around the league compared to all the UFAs and RFAs that need deals. I'm sure that type of analysis would show that there won't be enough cap space to go around.

Granted it's probably impossible to dump the 4 players I mentioned so... :(

Peluso and Thorburn are cheap enough to not have any big impact. Both Stu and Pav could be bought out if not moved. Bridge deals for both Trouba and Scheif in order to maintain max opportunity money. With Ladd moved the Jets would be well positioned to steal some very good players from cap strapped teams.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
@Mort: all it takes is one of the 4-6 or so teams that are contenders to "blink". If one of them thinks they may miss out, they'll cave. Happens every time - when faced with a core that may be one year further along (or UFAs that may walk after the season is over), some may see their window closing, and go for it.

If it were only one team that was in the running for someone like Ladd? Sure, then I could see it.

I'm not arguing YWG. See the post above yours. I lean more to your point than to the depressed market. I'm just floating possibilities in a dynamic and somewhat unpredictable marketplace. It is going to affected in some way. That may be to increase the desperation for some teams. It will be interesting.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
That might be the worst part. :laugh: I'm going to believe Ducks offered Larsson and a first and Chevy turned it down for a handful of magic beans. *** **** it Chevy! Where's my pitchfork? :laugh:

If the alternative is Ladd signed for too much too long I'd rather have the return whether it knocks my socks off or not.

Interestingly enough Mort, you`ve picked the trade arrangement that I believe is most beneficial ,and realistically achieveable, for the Jets. In fact,IMO Larsson should be the player aggressively targeted by Chevy in discussions with Anaheim.

More generally,I continue to be very troubled that there are media reports of a "final push for Ladd", together with reports that Ladd has not yet been"put on the market" !! Hope this is just uninformed media chatter. I have some concern that Chevy may misjudge Ladds` trade value simply because he will rely on limited discussion with only a few GMs (and fail to ignite competitive offers).

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Interestingly enough Mort, you`ve picked the trade arrangement that I believe is most beneficial ,and realistically achieveable, for the Jets. In fact,IMO Larsson should be the player aggressively targeted by Chevy in discussions with Anaheim.

More generally,I continue to be very troubled that there are media reports of a "final push for Ladd", together with reports that Ladd has not yet been"put on the market" !! Hope this is just uninformed media chatter. I have some concern that Chevy may misjudge Ladds` trade value simply because he will rely on limited discussion with only a few GMs (and fail to ignite competitive offers).

I've been pushing the idea of getting a LHD from the Ducks for quite a while. Its an obvious fit to me. I switched from Fowler to Theodore to Larsson. As a late 1st round pick and a more recent one his trade price should be a little cheaper than the NHL ready Theodore.

I have a gut feeling that Larsson turns out to be the best of those 3. No good reason, just a hunch. I will forget I ever said that if I am wrong but claim limitless credit if I turn out to be right. :laugh:

I also agree with the idea of targeting a particular player and team. They need what we have and they have what we need. Get it done GMs!

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I've been pushing the idea of getting a LHD from the Ducks for quite a while. Its an obvious fit to me. I switched from Fowler to Theodore to Larsson. As a late 1st round pick and a more recent one his trade price should be a little cheaper than the NHL ready Theodore.

I have a gut feeling that Larsson turns out to be the best of those 3. No good reason, just a hunch. I will forget I ever said that if I am wrong but claim limitless credit if I turn out to be right. :laugh:

I also agree with the idea of targeting a particular player and team. They need what we have and they have what we need. Get it done GMs!

Yeah, Theodore would be great but everything I`ve read suggests he`d be unavailable as part of a Ladd deal,unless Jets added..Don`t know if Cheys` up to that just yet.:(

Reports on Larsson suggest he might be a really good top four, with some brazenly even drawing parallels between him and H,Lindholm earlier in his development of course. Maybe your gut feeling is right on the mark!!!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, Theodore would be great but everything I`ve read suggests he`d be unavailable as part of a Ladd deal,unless Jets added..Don`t know if Cheys` up to that just yet.:(

Reports on Larsson suggest he might be a really good top four, with some brazenly even drawing parallels between him and H,Lindholm earlier in his development of course. Maybe your gut feeling is right on the mark!!!

Wanted to take him at the draft instead of Roslovic. Nothing against Roslo but he wasn't a 'must take him' at 25 and we needed LHD. Larsson was right there staring us in the face. I'd be just as happy to get him now in trade though. It all comes out in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad