Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (12-13 Part XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Had an incredibly vivid dream last night about the Jets. Apparently we picked up Patrick Sharp in a cap-dump deal at a cost of near nothing and also made a trade for Lupul. Christopher Gibson was somehow our backup goalie this coming season as well, making the team via a training camp tryout. Really weird. I've never had a dream about hockey at all (at least one I can recall), let alone the management side of the game, nor have I ever spent much time thinking about the possibility of the above players ever joining the Jets.

This dream either represents that big changes are pending or that I'm following things a little too closely, probably the latter. Have a nice day.

emoticon_ShiftyEyes.gif

You're on champix aren't you?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Andy Strickland is suggesting that Stl wants to add depth at centre (Burmi) and may be willing to Part with Ian Cole.

A player like Jaskins or McRae would be really nice starting place too.

jetsfan101

May 10, 2013
Andy Strickland is suggesting that Stl wants to add depth at centre (Burmi) and may be willing to Part with Ian Cole.

I would hate to lose Burm without getting another centre in return, but I really like Ian Cole. I wonder if he could step in and take on top 4 minutes and special teams duties right away, since he hasn't to this point in his career.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I would hate to lose Burm without getting another centre in return, but I really like Ian Cole. I wonder if he could step in and take on top 4 minutes and special teams duties right away, since he hasn't to this point in his career.

If Burmi and Buff are both truly on the outs, Buff could still be moved for someone like Cooter.

Cole and Cooter could be a couple nice long term pieces as a return. Short term pain, long term gain.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

Why would both teams trade inside divisions?

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
It takes a while to figure out the dreams aren't memories.

When my wife was pregnant with our son, I had a dream that we had a girl with a full head of brown hair to about her shoulders and with bright red eyes, she was about three. She came up to me in my dream and started poking me in the forehead and said this is what it felt like when you were screwing her!

It was VERY unsettling.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
When my wife was pregnant with our son, I had a dream that we had a girl with a full head of brown hair to about her shoulders and with bright red eyes, she was about three. She came up to me in my dream and started poking me in the forehead and said this is what it felt like when you were screwing her!

It was VERY unsettling.

Disturbing...

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I've done some playing around with capgeek and overall I think we're sitting pretty cap wise. Yes it will get tight but only if Chevy is aggressive this off season. Bruins fans seem to think we can pick up Peverley for cheap (3rd) and Vancouver fans think we can pick up Booth for cheap (not sure if interested) due to respective teams cap issues. Have a look here:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1445771

Wouldn't mind picking up Peverley for a 3rd. It can be slotted into our cap situation well. Another proposal was Burmistrov for Hemsky, we could do that as well. I think a line of Kane - Scheifele - Hemsky would be absolutely killer. It would push us aweful close to the cap, and only have a couple million for a backup tender. That's assuming we spend $15M on the big three and retain Postma, Redmond, Kulda, Peluso.

FORWARDS
Andrew Ladd ($4.400m) / Bryan Little ($4.500m) / Blake Wheeler ($5.000m)
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Mark Scheifele ($1.563m) / Ales Hemsky ($5.000m)
Eric O'Dell ($0.660m) / Olli Jokinen ($4.500m) / Rich Peverley ($3.250m)
James Wright ($0.650m) / Jim Slater ($1.600m) / Chris Thorburn ($0.867m)
Anthony Peluso ($0.666m)
DEFENSEMEN
Tobias Enstrom ($5.750m) / Dustin Byfuglien ($5.200m)
Grant Clitsome ($2.200m) / Zach Bogosian ($5.000m)
Mark Stuart ($1.700m) / Zach Redmond ($0.715m)
Arturs Kulda ($0.605m) / Paul Postma ($0.605m)
GOALTENDERS
Ondrej Pavelec ($3.900m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,580,500; BONUSES: $575,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,294,500

I probably low-balled a few of the numbers, but it gives you an idea of how much we can take advantage of other teams cap situation. Trouba can stay in the AHL until we decide which d-men to stick with and if Trouba is ready, then start trading one or two of them and call up Trouba. Buff could be moved, and I could see Stuart being moved. Jokinen frees up a lot of cap space next year. If we manage to retain Kulda I think Clitsome is optional, but there's some risk involved. It would be nice to know right now if Kulda had more upside than Clitsome. If not, we're still stuck with a bit of a hole on the left side behind Enstrom.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I would not give very much for Ian Cole.

I just don't think he's all that good. He's a 4-5 LD, not sure he could even be the #4 LD that we're looking for. STL has been dying for a LD to play next to Pietrangelo and Ian Cole has never been close to that guy. Can't think why it would be different with Bogosian.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I would not give very much for Ian Cole.

I just don't think he's all that good. He's a 4-5 LD, not sure he could even be the #4 LD that we're looking for. STL has been dying for a LD to play next to Pietrangelo and Ian Cole has never been close to that guy. Can't think why it would be different with Bogosian.

My thoughts as well. Maybe he turns out, but he hasn't gotten it done with Pietrangelo. Would be more interested in Jaskin and Edmundson from the Blues.

And not interested in dealing Burmistrov for Hemsky. Not only is that short sighted, but a combination of undervaluing Burmistrov, and overvaluing Hemsky at this point in time.

Aela*

I only saw two London games this year (one early season, one at Mem Cup), but what I saw from Domi and Horvat went completely opposite as to what their scouting reports say. I saw Horvat get leaky out of the defensive zone on more than one occasion, trying to anticipate the breakout pass, and I saw Domi be a defensive dynamo, routinely taking away shooting and passing lanes and making smart plays up the boards.

I realize that I probably just saw the 'wrong' two games, and I trust what the scouts write more than what I saw from maybe 40-45 minutes of ice time, but my own eyes saw what they saw, and it can be tough to get that out of my head.

I'm a London fan and watched all of their games this year (literally). Horvat is a stud and is way more complete a player than Domi. He's overall a better player imo. Best shutdown forward in the league this year and put up pretty good point totals. Also having watched both Scheifele and Horvat...I'd take Horvat any day. Maybe this is the homer in me speaking, but Horvat plays way, way, way better defense than Scheifele, is deadly on the special teams and has much better skating, and has similar (although a bit less) offensive upside in the NHL imo. Horvat is a goal scorer, plain and simple. 6 less goals than Scheifele this year, more special teams goals, and 2 less goals in the playoffs. This year he was the playoff MVP even though Scheifele had nearly double his points, I think that speaks a lot to his prowess.

Anyways I'm getting off on a tangent, so let me get to the topic I came here to post about. I've been lurking around the PHX boards recently and there has been a lot of talk about moving Yandle and Smith because of how close they are to the cap (and Smith's injury) and how they need to give other players some raises. Now in my opinion, both of those would be great additions to have in WPG, Pavelec looks to need a bit more seasoning before he becomes a true #1 starter, and Smith should theoretically thrive behind the defense in WPG. Yandle would be an excellent partner for Bogosian on the 1st pair as well, and Enstrom paired with Buff would be able to focus more on the shutdown part of his skillset. We'd also eventually be able to ease Trouba into the #4 role and move Buff for a good scoring player. PHX are looking for a #2C and a PPQB. While our PP is pretty anemic, I think PHX would be happy with someone like Postma. So just to get the value fair, here's what I propose:

Burmistrov + 2013 1st for Yandle
Postma + 2013 3rd for Smith.

Tempting?

If not, tell me why. :)

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Anyways I'm getting off on a tangent, so let me get to the topic I came here to post about. I've been lurking around the PHX boards recently and there has been a lot of talk about moving Yandle and Smith because of how close they are to the cap (and Smith's injury) and how they need to give other players some raises. Now in my opinion, both of those would be great additions to have in WPG, Pavelec looks to need a bit more seasoning before he becomes a true #1 starter, and Smith should theoretically thrive behind the defense in WPG. Yandle would be an excellent partner for Bogosian on the 1st pair as well, and Enstrom paired with Buff would be able to focus more on the shutdown part of his skillset. We'd also eventually be able to ease Trouba into the #4 role and move Buff for a good scoring player. PHX are looking for a #2C and a PPQB. While our PP is pretty anemic, I think PHX would be happy with someone like Postma. So just to get the value fair, here's what I propose:

Tempting?

Not a huge Yandle fan myself, and I hate to trade away 1st round picks, but it would be near impossible to turn that 1st one down. It would put Noel in a spot though in how he likes to use his pairings, because if he put Yandle with Bogo, he wouldn't be able to give that pair all the tough minutes. I don't see a Yandle "type" being what the Jets are after though.
I don't see Phoenix going for that considering how much they want for Yandle in the other threads as well.

Conversely, why are the Jets giving up anything for Smith? The guys a UFA.

Aela*

Not a huge Yandle fan myself, and I hate to trade away 1st round picks, but it would be near impossible to turn that 1st one down. It would put Noel in a spot though in how he likes to use his pairings, because if he put Yandle with Bogo, he wouldn't be able to give that pair all the tough minutes. I don't see a Yandle "type" being what the Jets are after though.
I don't see Phoenix going for that considering how much they want for Yandle in the other threads as well.

I'm assuming he gets signed to a 3-4m deal in PHX, because of all the teams I think that's the only place he signs for that kind of deal.

I also like Yandle because he's a real good OFD and gives us more options to move Buff since he's a LHD.

Some stats:

Yandle is #3 in Dman assists and points in the past 3 seasons, #6 in goal scoring, and is +21 throughout that time.

Byfuglien is #2 in points, goals, and #6 in assists over the past 3 seasons with a -6 rating.

I'd also love to see Ribeiro come to the Jets, we should theoretically be able to afford him when he comes to UFA.

pondnorth

Dec 16, 2005
I'm a London fan and watched all of their games this year (literally). Horvat is a stud and is way more complete a player than Domi. He's overall a better player imo. Best shutdown forward in the league this year and put up pretty good point totals. Also having watched both Scheifele and Horvat...I'd take Horvat any day. Maybe this is the homer in me speaking, but Horvat plays way, way, way better defense than Scheifele, is deadly on the special teams and has much better skating, and has similar (although a bit less) offensive upside in the NHL imo. Horvat is a goal scorer, plain and simple. 6 less goals than Scheifele this year, more special teams goals, and 2 less goals in the playoffs. This year he was the playoff MVP even though Scheifele had nearly double his points, I think that speaks a lot to his prowess.

Tempting?

Pheonix is nowhere near the cap but are up against the NHL management budget.Yandle is a offensive style dman not a shut down guy at all.Smith wants big money and Pavs makes big money.You want the Jets to tie up 10 or 11m per year on goaltending,no chance.

Aela*

Pheonix is nowhere near the cap but are up against the NHL management budget.Yandle is a offensive style dman not a shut down guy at all.Smith wants big money and Pavs makes big money.You want the Jets to tie up 10 or 11m per year on goaltending,no chance.

I only want Smith if he signs for 4.5m or less. And that would be about 8m, not 10 or 11. There are worse ways to spend that kind of money then on 2 good goalies.

And the point is, PHX has very little money to spend comparatively speaking.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Ya Yandle get's softer minutes and severely pushed into OZS more than any in our top 4. He is basically treated how Postma was for us... just given a lot more minutes.
If we had Yandle it would probably be to pair up with Byfuglien, and we'd still need a tough minute person to go with Bogosian (I guess Enstrom could work?)...
That be a lot of $$$ in our top 4 D next season, although it be interesting having a core like:
Enstrom-Bogosian
Yandle-Byfuglien

It's OEL and whoever is with him (usually this season Zbynek) who take the tough minutes.
Speaking of OEL... he's ****ing awesome in those said tough mins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad