Salary Cap: jets expect to hit 4.6m in bonuses - theyre a cap team

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Sorry ive been absent from the thread I started. Plan on replying to a few things tomorrow. Really didnt expect this to take off as much as it did and in so much detail.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Laine is 1 goal away to going into 8th spot and 2 goals to get to 6-7th place.
Of course others will score but if he keeps up his pace he will probably sneak into the top 10 :)

That is a lot of wifi subscription he can buy with that bonus.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Laine is 1 goal away to going into 8th spot and 2 goals to get to 6-7th place.
Of course others will score but if he keeps up his pace he will probably sneak into the top 10 :)

That is a lot of wifi subscription he can buy with that bonus.

27 goals is T9.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
If you were thinking of the bonuses specifically, the rules on what kind of "individually negotiated bonuses" the Club and the Player are allowed to negotiate on in the Standard Playing Contract are in the CBA Exhibit 5. (You can google "NHL CBA" and download the ~10MB PDF file). Exhibit 1 has the Standard Player Contract, there's actually very little that the Club and the Player really can negotiate about.

The teams, as a rule, in practice tweak only the total aggregate maximum sum for the ELC players. Some guys get the full £850k for Schedule A bonuses, some can get for example $500k, many get nothing. You can see these on CapFriendly.

But as the individual bonus categories and the performance you need to have to get a bonus go, it's a safe bet every one gets the maximum allowed bonus category bonus ($212.500) for the minimum allowed bonus performance (20G, 35 A, 60 P, 0.73 PpG...). The potential bonuses count against the Cap until impossible to achieve, so any creativity would only mean more hassle for the team. And obviously you don't want to piss off your young talent with extra hurdles en route to the money.
Alright, thanks for this great response :thumbu:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Looks like you guys talked about a lot of the details I wanted to. Good job.

What actions are you referring to?

What I was getting at is cap management, not bonus suppression. Things like:

- Running less than a 23 man roster this year and next even though the roster limit disappears at the trade deadline
- Lots of small paper transactions, sending down waiver exempt players like Poolman whenever they have a day off and the Moose are home
- In December we saw reports Chevy was trying to move Mattias. Is there any other reason than bonus overage/cap management?
- There may be interesting trades before the deadline and this summer. I could see Myers being shopped at the draft.

I'm sure Larry Simmons with spreadsheet on tow will have a big say in how things play out

Although my information didn't come directly from him I have no doubt it was from him.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

- Running less than a 23 man roster this year and next even though the roster limit disappears at the trade deadline
- Lots of small paper transactions, sending down waiver exempt players like Poolman whenever they have a day off and the Moose are home
- In December we saw reports Chevy was trying to move Mattias. Is there any other reason than bonus overage/cap management?
- There may be interesting trades before the deadline and this summer. I could see Myers being shopped at the draft.

Although my information didn't come directly from him I have no doubt it was from him.
Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying.

Reactions: allan5oh

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

I don't think the Jets will want to run a bonus overage this year. The important number really is te accumulated daily cap hit. Injuries have not been helping with that lately. They'd probably want to get Hutch down to the Moose ASAP.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I don't think the Jets will want to run a bonus overage this year. The important number really is te accumulated daily cap hit. Injuries have not been helping with that lately. They'd probably want to get Hutch down to the Moose ASAP.

I don't think so either, next year is the big one. But it should be paid attention to and certainly limits options at the deadline.

The roster including IR players is rather bloated right now and getting rid of that will help with this. They're carrying 28 players right now!

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I don't think so either, next year is the big one. But it should be paid attention to and certainly limits options at the deadline.

The roster including IR players is rather bloated right now and getting rid of that will help with this. They're carrying 28 players right now!

I've been mentioning it off and on since training camp actually. There was actually a debate earlier about whether or not we were a cap team like Chevy claimed in his preseason interview.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I've been mentioning it off and on since training camp actually. There was actually a debate earlier about whether or not we were a cap team like Chevy claimed in his preseason interview.

And I remember being firmly in the "LOL no they aren't" camp. I guess that's if you include bonuses or not. It's also impossible to guess what the roster will look like through the season and the most important factor is injuries.

Guess that's why I'm a fat truck driver and not an NHL GM?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
And I remember being firmly in the "LOL no they aren't" camp. I guess that's if you include bonuses or not. It's also impossible to guess what the roster will look like through the season and the most important factor is injuries.

Guess that's why I'm a fat truck driver and not an NHL GM?

You are misremembering or confusing me with someone else. I always pointed out the potential ELC bonus money from the beginning that needed to be accounted for

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
No I'm saying *I'm* the one that didn't fully account for it. I do remember others - possibly you - saying I was wrong.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
You are misremembering or confusing me with someone else. I always pointed out the potential ELC bonus money from the beginning that needed to be accounted for
The Jets, even if they rack up $4.6M in bonuses, still aren't at the cap. So, not a cap team.

Pretty close though, right? Well no, because bonus overages don't apply to this season's cap. So, not a cap team.

Maybe a cap team next year. But not this year - unless they add $22M in cap hit before the deadline. So the Jets have cap room this season to add Nash + Zuccarello + Hoffman + Hjalmersson.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
The Jets, even if they rack up $4.6M in bonuses, still aren't at the cap. So, not a cap team.

Pretty close though, right? Well no, because bonus overages don't apply to this season's cap. So, not a cap team.

Maybe a cap team next year. But not this year - unless they add $22M in cap hit before the deadline. So the Jets have cap room this season to add Nash + Zuccarello + Hoffman + Hjalmersson.

Without risking an overage, the Jets have around $4M deadline space. Nash $3.8M retained and they're right at the ceiling.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Without risking an overage, the Jets have around $4M deadline space. Nash $3.8M retained and they're right at the ceiling.
But that doesn't have any impact on this season's cap. And they have a whole offseason to deal with any overages that may apply next year.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
But that doesn't have any impact on this season's cap. And they have a whole offseason to deal with any overages that may apply next year.

Overages can't be "dealt with". The team would start next season with less cap space than all the other teams. That's a significant disadvantage.

Reactions: Maukkis

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

If we come $1 under would you. Insider us a cap team? Sounds like just semantics to me.

I think you are the one I was being confused with. Bonuses do apply to this year's cap. An overage only occurs when those bonuses cause a team to exceed the ceiling. Management should plan to be able to absorb them without incurring an overage

Like I said earlier in the year. This team should not allow a significant overage to occur. It doesn't make sense

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

Ahow do you deal with it exactly? Get rid of players. Claim poor at the negotiating table with our free agents? You seem to think this would be a good thing. Why?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If we come $1 under would you. Insider us a cap team? Sounds like just semantics to me.

I think you are the one I was being confused with. Bonuses do apply to this year's cap. An overage only occurs when those bonuses cause a team to exceed the ceiling. Management should plan to be able to absorb them without incurring an overage

Like I said earlier in the year. This team should not allow a significant overage to occur. It doesn't make sense

There are no semantics in math, and the Jets are currently projected to be $5,634,347 under the cap. Call me when we get to $1 under... ;)

Bonuses that players hit this season have no impact on this season's cap, correct? Every eligible Jet could hit every bonus possible today and the Jets would still be able to bring in another $22M in cap this season before the deadline. There would be bonus overages applied to next season's cap, and that may push the team to the cap next season, but there would be no effect on this season.

Ahow do you deal with it exactly? Get rid of players. Claim poor at the negotiating table with our free agents? You seem to think this would be a good thing. Why?

Trading players, signing bridge deals or otherwise driving a hard bargain at the negotiating table are certainly options. The cap's also going up $5M - maybe more, probably not less. There's your bonus overage accounted for right there. The point is, the Jets aren't at the cap this season, and though they have contracts to sign in the offseason, they're not at the cap for next year either.

And don't confuse all this with me arguing that it's a good thing or that the Jets should totally incur an overage. I'm just saying that even if they do, there is no measure by which the Winnipeg Jets are a cap team this season (unless they add $22M in cap by the deadline).

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
There are no semantics in math, and the Jets are currently projected to be $5,634,347 under the cap. Call me when we get to $1 under... ;)

Bonuses that players hit this season have no impact on this season's cap, correct? Every eligible Jet could hit every bonus possible today and the Jets would still be able to bring in another $22M in cap this season before the deadline. There would be bonus overages applied to next season's cap, and that may push the team to the cap next season, but there would be no effect on this season.

Trading players, signing bridge deals or otherwise driving a hard bargain at the negotiating table are certainly options. The cap's also going up $5M - maybe more, probably not less. There's your bonus overage accounted for right there. The point is, the Jets aren't at the cap this season, and though they have contracts to sign in the offseason, they're not at the cap for next year either.

And don't confuse all this with me arguing that it's a good thing or that the Jets should totally incur an overage. I'm just saying that even if they do, there is no measure by which the Winnipeg Jets are a cap team this season (unless they add $22M in cap by the deadline).

By your standard there are very few cap teams out there. Only teams that incur LTIR relief would technically be cap teams by your method. But hey to each his own. Most people use the term a bit less rigidly than you choose to.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
It does affect what Chevy is going to do. They don't want a bonus overage so it is in fact a soft cap. They want to avoid a bonus overage next year at all costs and a bonus overage this year could affect that. Simple smart cap management.

Or they could max out the cap this year and have a 4.6 million overage and have to trade Wheeler because they can't afford him.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
By your standard there are very few cap teams out there. Only teams that incur LTIR relief would technically be cap teams by your method. But hey to each his own. Most people use the term a bit less rigidly than you choose to.
Well $5.6M is a lot of room. I think back in the fall I said I'd consider a cap team as one within $500k or maybe even $1M of the ceiling. I'm not holding anyone to $1 below (although mathematically... :laugh: ).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Other than the measure that they spend up to the cap? Performance bonuses are counted this year or next. Considering the contracts that will start kicking in next season already signed or need to be signed it would be a bit on the foolish side to purposely put yourself in a cap squeeze before you absolutely need to. Kind of like over spending your living budget today with the plan of selling off your possessions to pay next month's rent. Sure it can be done, but the consequences down the line will be very painful. Just glad in the real world TNSE takes these things into account.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad