Salary Cap: jets expect to hit 4.6m in bonuses - theyre a cap team

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Well $5.6M is a lot of room. I think back in the fall I said I'd consider a cap team as one within $500k or maybe even $1M of the ceiling. I'm not holding anyone to $1 below (although mathematically... :laugh: ).

But they began the year with the potential to pay $5M in bonus money. Why do you think that should be ignored?

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It does affect what Chevy is going to do. They don't want a bonus overage so it is in fact a soft cap. They want to avoid a bonus overage next year at all costs and a bonus overage this year could affect that. Simple smart cap management.

Or they could max out the cap this year and have a 4.6 million overage and have to trade Wheeler because they can't afford him.
Decisions made now can affect the team's cap in the future - but they don't necessarily affect the cap today. What's the difference in signing Little to an extension that kicks in next year and trading for Rick Nash today that would incur an overage? In both cases it makes no difference to the cap today (the Jets aren't exceeding the cap ceiling). In both cases there are implications on who you can sign next year and for how much. Keep in mind when Chevy signed Little, they didn't know the cap was projected to hit $80M - now they do and maybe they feel they can still do everything they want to do even with an overage.

projected cap space not including bonuses does not equal cap space

Projected cap space + bonuses doesn't equal cap space either - i.e. If the Jets have $5.4M in projected cap space and they're facing $4M in bonuses, they still have $5.4M in cap space for this year. They can spend all or part of that without violating this year's cap. They'll defer the cap implications of an overage to next season. Therefore they have $5.4M in cap space this season.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Other than the measure that they spend up to the cap? Performance bonuses are counted this year or next. Considering the contracts that will start kicking in next season already signed or need to be signed it would be a bit on the foolish side to purposely put yourself in a cap squeeze before you absolutely need to. Kind of like over spending your living budget today with the plan of selling off your possessions to pay next month's rent. Sure it can be done, but the consequences down the line will be very painful. Just glad in the real world TNSE takes these things into account.
Again, to clarify, I am not arguing that it would necessarily be wise to incur a bonus overage for next year - but it is an option available to the team since they are currently nowhere near the cap and could add $22M worth of players right today and not exceed it.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The potential performance bonuses for the season are accounted for in full in the current CapFriendly number already, there is the 5.6M room on top of them.

Unrealized bonus money is cap money, until it becomes mathematically impossible to attain, which doesn't in most cases happen until the ending whistle in Game 82.

Potential bonuses are counted in the player AAV.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
But they began the year with the potential to pay $5M in bonus money. Why do you think that should be ignored?
Well it still doesn't make them a cap team this season. Any bonuses they have to pay this season do not affect their current cap space one bit. So it can be ignored (until next season).

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Do you not know how impossible it is for a team to stay right at the cap? Or to end the season right at it? Usually only ever happens if theyre using LTIR.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The potential performance bonuses for the season are accounted for in full in the current CapFriendly number already, there is the 5.6M room on top of them.

Unrealized bonus money is cap money, until it becomes mathematically impossible to attain, which doesn't in most cases happen until the ending whistle in Game 82.

That can't be right. If you add up all the Jets' Cap Hit (from Cap Friendly: Winnipeg Jets - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps ) it comes to $71,159,165. The projected cap hit is a bit less because some guys spent part of their season in the AHL (Hutch, Roslovic, Comrie, Connor, Petan) so that shaves it down a bit to $69,365,653. If you click the AAV tab you can see the players' salary + max bonus.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Do you not know how impossible it is for a team to stay right at the cap? Or to end the season right at it? Usually only ever happens if theyre using LTIR.
There are 10 teams within $1M of the cap. Let's call those 'the teams spending close to the cap'...or 'the cap teams' if you prefer! ;)

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
That can't be right. If you add up all the Jets' Cap Hit (from Cap Friendly: Winnipeg Jets - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps ) it comes to $71,159,165. The projected cap hit is a bit less because some guys spent part of their season in the AHL (Hutch, Roslovic, Comrie, Connor, Petan) so that shaves it down a bit to $69,365,653. If you click the AAV tab you can see the players' salary + max bonus.
Actually yeah, I started counting the same thing. It looks like CapFriendly takes a little bit different approach in it than the actual CBA rules, and they present their big number ("Cap Hit") without the Performance Bonuses taken in consideration.

There's a logic to that obviously as a lot of players won't be hitting theirs so the projected ending number would be millions off upwards if CapFriendly did. But now it errs to another direction, because many guys have already secured at least a portion of their bonuses. Laine, Ehlers, Connor all are on 20+ goals for example, that's $212.5k secured for each and less for the cap space.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

You are wrong here. ELC performance bonus money is not accounted for by capfriendly in the team numbers.

Laine's daily cap hit number used by capfriendly is based on the $925k cap hit. It is not based on the AAV. He has accrued $691k cap hit to date. There is no charge for bonus.Click on the link

Daily Cap Tracker - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Well it still doesn't make them a cap team this season. Any bonuses they have to pay this season do not affect their current cap space one bit. So it can be ignored (until next season).

You need to wait for the end of the season to know for sure. Depending on how injured we get or how much salary gets acquired at the TD, the final accounting could actually put the team over the ceiling. In my book if a team exceeds the cap or comes very close to it they are a cap team. The Jets appear to be in that range. If a team spends like evan idiot when they know they have millions in bonus money to pay, and they know doing so will impede their ability to keep their core group together, I would call them a stupid team before I call them a cap team. Why would we borrow from next years cap just to do that? Why would any team do that at the start of the season?

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
You are wrong here. ELC performance bonus money is not accounted for by capfriendly in the team numbers.

Laine's daily cap hit number used by capfriendly is based on the $925k cap hit. It is not based on the AAV. He has accrued $691k cap hit to date. There is no charge for bonus.Click on the link

Daily Cap Tracker - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Yes, I was wrong. I was working on the false assumption that CF does it 1:1 as it "officially" goes by the CBA, but as noted in my post above, CF does the Performance Bonuses bit differently (and more informatively) than the CBA does.

It's a damn if you do and damn if you don't scenario for CF, because the site user has to account himself for the earned/unearned bonuses either way.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Yes, I was wrong. I was working on the false assumption that CF does it 1:1 as it "officially" goes by the CBA, but as noted in my post above, CF does the Performance Bonuses bit differently (and more informatively) than the CBA does.

It's a damn if you do and damn if you don't scenario for CF, because the site user has to account himself for the earned/unearned bonuses either way.

Capfrienfly has always said they basically ignore bonuses in their calculations until the season is over.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Capfrienfly has always said they basically ignore bonuses in their calculations until the season is over.
I didn't really know that, but I did once email to them to complain that they put not only the ELC Bonuses under the "Performance Bonus", but also the Games Played bonuses that some teams employ to the tune of a couple of hundred kilos (for playing 10+ Games in NHL), and in some cases you can only make an educated guess on which one it is.

Didn't get an answer.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I didn't really know that, but I did once email to them to complain that they put not only the ELC Bonuses under the "Performance Bonus", but also the Games Played bonuses that some teams employ to the tune of a couple of hundred kilos (for playing 10+ Games in NHL), and in some cases you can only make an educated guess on which one it is.

Didn't get an answer.

I too wish there was more accurate bonus info, but they probably need co-operation from the league to provide it accurately. But they probably still wouldn't use it in basic calculations since it doesn't take away cap space. A team can always choose to be at the ceiling despite having bonus money to account for (like the Leafs last season) and take the overage penalty.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I too wish there was more accurate bonus info, but they probably need co-operation from the league to provide it accurately. But they probably still wouldn't use it in basic calculations since it doesn't take away cap space. A team can always choose to be at the ceiling despite having bonus money to account for (like the Leafs last season) and take the overage penalty.

True that, though willing to opt to take an Overage Penalty is more and more serious business now when the superkids hit all the bonuses on their ELC year 3 and then their many years much mony RFA contract will kick in for the next season. It's a recipe for Cap issues.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Sent Poolman down. They only have 6 d which is unusual. Chevy is counting his pennies!

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Sent Poolman down. They only have 6 d which is unusual. Chevy is counting his pennies!

has this actually happened yet?

Maurice said they would likely send him down to play in tomorrow's game and then be recalled for the road trip.

Saving less than $10K doesn't seem to be the reason. Poolman needs game action is more likely

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

Isnt this exactly what ive been saying?

Brassard is manageable in the short term according to my math.

5.8M cap space. Brassard has remaining 1.1M cap hit. Should leave room to absorb bonus money. Getting healthy would help as well.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Once healthy & after the trade deadline many have speculated the Jets will keep a 23+ roster.

Won't 1-4 extra bodies affect the cap as well for the remaining games of the regular season?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Once healthy & after the trade deadline many have speculated the Jets will keep a 23+ roster.

Won't 1-4 extra bodies affect the cap as well for the remaining games of the regular season?

We are already paying for 27 warm bodies. A player on IR still counts against the cap and so does the player called up to replace him. At one point we were carrying four goalie cap hits.

Sending one goalie back to the Moose (Hutch or Mason) would bury pro rated $1.025M for instance.

Short answer is yes. Every player on the NHL roster (and even some in the AHL) count against the salary cap.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
We are already paying for 27 warm bodies. A player on IR still counts against the cap and so does the player called up to replace him. At one point we were carrying four goalie cap hits.

Sending one goalie back to the Moose (Hutch or Mason) would bury pro rated $1.025M for instance.

Short answer is yes. Every player on the NHL roster (and even some in the AHL) count against the salary cap.

Not if they're on the Moose. Once healthy the Jets could return to a semblance of their opening day lineup to conserve space. ELC's for the last 1/4 of the season combined all add up. Perhaps Petan, Poolman, Roslovic all end up back on the Moose for a spell. I'd suggest Connor is the only one guaranteed to stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad