Salary Cap: jets expect to hit 4.6m in bonuses - theyre a cap team

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Click on the individual names and you get a complete history of ever contract they ever signed. All details are there including bonus salary AAV etc.

Here's Mathieu Perreault for example

Mathieu Perreault - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
I rarely come on here without opening up Cap Friendly before hand. So many discussions require a knowledge of cap and contract status you are posting blind without a quick glance first.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
But Cap Friendly doesn't list whether the bonus was collected or not so we don't know.

Edit: I can guess JoMo collected his bonus money the last 2 years and he will get a big raise in salary.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
But Cap Friendly doesn't list whether the bonus was collected or not so we don't know.

Edit: I can guess JoMo collected his bonus money the last 2 years and he will get a big raise in salary.
We do know that most of the performance bonus money was paid out last season so we can assume most will be paid out this season. We can also assume that Poolman and Comrie are not likely to reach their bonuses, so the $4.6 estimated in the OP is likely a pretty good ball park number to work off of.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I wouldn't worry about Laine's bonus. They would be happy to pay it but if they don't pay it then I suspect Laine will add it to his next contract if he feels he should have been paid.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Why do we need to know this?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I wouldn't worry about Laine's bonus. They would be happy to pay it but if they don't pay it then I suspect Laine will add it to his next contract if he feels he should have been paid.

It doesn't work that way. BTW Laine has already earned Sked A bonus money and will likely max out at $850k again this year

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
It doesn't work that way. BTW Laine has already earned Sked A bonus money and will likely max out at $850k again this year
Of course it works that way. If you are under-paid do you say forget it? I know if you are over-paid you don't return the money. As an example, wait and see if that LA King traded to the Sens retires or not.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Some teams used to be reluctant to even disclose the AAV and length of contracts. capfriendly is about as good as it gets.

What sort of additional detail were you thinking of?

The public release of NHL salary is not an option. It is collectively bargained. How much detail is released is not, however the basic info (term total $ AAV) must be released publicly .

The exact structure of individual bonus money is the only real secret left in this area.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Of course it works that way. If you are under-paid do you say forget it? I know if you are over-paid you don't return the money. As an example, wait and see if that LA King traded to the Sens retires or not.

No it does not. The whole NHL salary structure for players in their RFA years is based on comparable contracts. Laine's will not be paid higher than McDavid for instance. And neither was Eichel. Nor will Matthews. Whether or not a bonus is paid is irrelevant.

In the UFA years it is all based on the Market of supply and demand. ELC bonus money plays no part here either.

It just doesn't work the way you say it does

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Virtually all top young players are under paid on their ELC's. Max salary and max bonuses was collectively bargained. Nothing Laine could do about that as the Jets happily signed him at the max across the board. Teams also hold the advantage on the 1st RFA contracts and I don't expect Chevy to piss that away like they are so fond on doing in Edmonton.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Virtually all top young players are under paid on their ELC's. Max salary and max bonuses was collectively bargained. Nothing Laine could do about that as the Jets happily signed him at the max across the board. Teams also hold the advantage on the 1st RFA contracts and I don't expect Chevy to piss that away like they are so fond on doing in Edmonton.

Small clarification point. Laine's contract was not max in Sked B bonus. Max is $2M Laine's Sked B bonus is $1.8M. So he is $209k short of max ELC.

In a normal year only the first OA gets s max contract and there is an unspoken decreasing scale from there. In the previous year though both McDavid and Eichel signed max contracts. Part of that is because Buffalo was encouraging Eichel to leave college and the belief that McDavid was from another planet and in a normal year Euchel was a #1OA talent

Reactions: allan5oh

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
OK I understand what you are saying and agree with you but in his UFA years if he's a bit upset over previous pay and position he can use that as an excuse to not stay a Jet. I don't know Laine, maybe he'll play for free but better players than him have left teams over a few dollars.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
OK I understand what you are saying and agree with you but in his UFA years if he's a bit upset over previous pay and position he can use that as an excuse to not stay a Jet. I don't know Laine, maybe he'll play for free but better players than him have left teams over a few dollars.

If he doesn't achieve his bonus money why would he take it out on the Jets? The perameters is his bonus structure were set when he signed his contract. He agreed to them. It's not as if the Jets can just say....you were close enough we'll give you your bonus money anyway. That is specifically prohibited in the CBA.

He can't do anything about being a Jet for 5 more seasons. By then it will be long forgotten and besides did you not read this? Does that sound like someone who wants to play somewhere else?

Winnipeg Is Good | By Patrik Laine

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
If he doesn't achieve his bonus money why would he take it out on the Jets? The perameters is his bonus structure were set when he signed his contract. He agreed to them. It's not as if the Jets can just say....you were close enough we'll give you your bonus money anyway. That is specifically prohibited in the CBA.

He can't do anything about being a Jet for 5 more seasons. By then it will be long forgotten and besides did you not read this? Does that sound like someone who wants to play somewhere else?

Even if it wasn't prohibited, what's the point of setting performance targets and rewarding someone for not reaching them? How does that make sense at all? This type of thinking is right in line with the gold star for finding my desk in class attitude we see in schools these days.

Earn something, get rewarded, pretty simple.

Kratti

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006

I just have to comment on the bolded. The players are not slaves, they are free to not sign with the team that holds their NHL rights. Or hold out for more money, trade, etc. Just like Trouba did (or Wheeler, for a more powerful example), they can exercise the admittedly limited tools they have to work with to arrive at a satisfactory conclusion at their contract negotiations (or force a trade) during the period the drafting team holds their rights. I know this is not news to anybody here but I just cannot leave a statement like that without a comment. Sorry.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I just have to comment on the bolded. The players are not slaves, they are free to not sign with the team that holds their NHL rights. Or hold out for more money, trade, etc. Just like Trouba did (or Wheeler, for a more powerful example), they can exercise the admittedly limited tools they have to work with to arrive at a satisfactory conclusion at their contract negotiations (or force a trade) during the period the drafting team holds their rights. I know this is not news to anybody here but I just cannot leave a statement like that without a comment. Sorry.

You are correct. It is perfectly within Patrik's rights to run back to Finland once his ELC expires and forgo signing a contract worth potentially $50-60M.

You failed to take into account the context of my post. It was in response to someone claiming that if Patrik doesn't achieve his bonus this year that he will pout like a little kid and refuse to sign with the Jets unless they pay him for it in his next contract. I never implied that players were slaves however the CBA does tie them to the team that drafts them for seven years or until age 27. If a player wants to play in the NHL those are the rules.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Last time I checked slaves were not compensated for their labour and certainly not at a rate that would put them amongst the top .5% of income earners. Terrible analogy

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So - does anyone know if the players' contract details are public information, and where one might find them?
If you were thinking of the bonuses specifically, the rules on what kind of "individually negotiated bonuses" the Club and the Player are allowed to negotiate on in the Standard Playing Contract are in the CBA Exhibit 5. (You can google "NHL CBA" and download the ~10MB PDF file). Exhibit 1 has the Standard Player Contract, there's actually very little that the Club and the Player really can negotiate about.

The teams, as a rule, in practice tweak only the total aggregate maximum sum for the ELC players. Some guys get the full £850k for Schedule A bonuses, some can get for example $500k, many get nothing. You can see these on CapFriendly.

But as the individual bonus categories and the performance you need to have to get a bonus go, it's a safe bet every one gets the maximum allowed bonus category bonus ($212.500) for the minimum allowed bonus performance (20G, 35 A, 60 P, 0.73 PpG...). The potential bonuses count against the Cap until impossible to achieve, so any creativity would only mean more hassle for the team. And obviously you don't want to piss off your young talent with extra hurdles en route to the money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad