Salary Cap: jets expect to hit 4.6m in bonuses - theyre a cap team

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Not if they're on the Moose. Once healthy the Jets could return to a semblance of their opening day lineup to conserve space. ELC's for the last 1/4 of the season combined all add up. Perhaps Petan, Poolman, Roslovic all end up back on the Moose for a spell. I'd suggest Connor is the only one guaranteed to stay.

Not sure what you are getting at. All I was saying is every player on the 23 man roster plus every player on IR counts against the cap.

Also if we waive Mason or return Hutch only 1.025M doesn't count. (gets buried)
So Hutch leaves a tiny cap hit 125k and Mason would leave $3.075M. So some players on the Moose woukd count against the cap.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Not sure what you are getting at. All I was saying is every player on the 23 man roster plus every player on IR counts against the cap.

Also if we waive Mason or return Hutch only 1.025M doesn't count. (gets buried)
So Hutch leaves a tiny cap hit 125k and Mason would leave $3.075M. So some players on the Moose woukd count against the cap.

Hence why I didn't bring up buried or potentially buried contracts, simply 2 two way deals.

My original point was our expected year end cap hit doesn't take into account a 23 man roster+ adding all of Petan, Poolman, Roslovic & Connor for the remainder of the schedule.

With IR what it is at present it appears the Jets can have a 27 man roster for the duration of the season even when healthy.

Acquiring 1 or 2 rentals while managing cap space, playing both Connor & Roslovic for the duration of the season & still managing the waivers situation once healthy are all factors Chevy has to consider.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
My original point was our expected year end cap hit doesn't take into account a 23 man roster+ adding all of Petan, Poolman, Roslovic & Connor for the remainder of the schedule.

Are you sure about that? which of our current 27 players would capfriendly not be counting for the rest of the season? how would they decide that? And would they be projecting exactly when a player is going to be sent down? How would they know?

Isn't it more likely the projection includes everyone and if someone gets sent down they adjust accordingly?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Hence why I didn't bring up buried or potentially buried contracts, simply 2 two way deals.

With IR what it is at present it appears the Jets can have a 27 man roster for the duration of the season even when healthy.

Acquiring 1 or 2 rentals while managing cap space, playing both Connor & Roslovic for the duration of the season & still managing the waivers situation once healthy are all factors Chevy has to consider.
I don't want Petan playing anywhere other than the Moose once ppl are healthy.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Are you sure about that? which of our current 27 players would capfriendly not be counting for the rest of the season? how would they decide that? And would they be projecting exactly when a player is going to be sent down? How would they know?

Isn't it more likely the projection includes everyone and if someone gets sent down they adjust accordingly?

It's quite possible you are correct. I'd assumed the opposite to be true, perhaps as capgeek was a lot more precise with such things & I've assumed the same to be true for capfriendly. As we both know the former provided a much clearer overall picture.

If what you are saying is true then the reality should be the expected cap we are looking at on capfriendly has inflated numbers, being based off this larger roster projection.

That would mean we theoretically have more space than is currently listed.

Perhaps someone else could weigh in?

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Opening day roster was:

Perreault Sheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Little Laine
Matthias Lowry Armia
Dano Copp Tanev
(Petan)

Enstrom Buff
Morrissey Trouba
Kulikov Myers
(Chiarot Poolman)

Mason
(Helle)

Hendricks was on IR. Petan was sent down when Hendricks was activated.

Matthias, Tanev, Lowry, Trouba are still on IR. Mason & Hutch have come off IR, although only the Jets have said so. Capfriendly, NHL.com, Rotoworld all still list them as on IR which is odd as they usually react in real time with even the slightest of roster moves. Anyways we are currently carrying 27.

Matthias & Lowry are skating. Tanev wearing a no contact. Mason practiced as the second goalie with Hutch resting. We could have 26 ready to play as early as Tuesdays game against Nashville & although we are allowed to carry a 23+ roster following Monday, there is no reason financially to do so.

The original point is if the Jets are as up against the cap as we're led to believe, placing Petan, Poolman, Roslovic back in the minors offer relief.

"Players on a two-way contract, who accrued 1-49 NHL games in the previous season, count against the teams cap hit; however, the reduced cap hit is calculated as follows:
Multiply the players NHL cap hit by the total accrued NHL days in the previous season, and divide by the total number of days in the previous season."

source capfriendly FAQ

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Even the above in italics was news to me. I'd assumed if say Petan has a $750,000 NHL salary & a $70,000 AHL salary & plays half the season in Winnipeg, his cap hit to the Jets would be roughly $375,000.

Reading the FAQ in more depth:

"Players who are on a one-way contract, or players on a two-way contract who accrued 50 or more NHL games in the previous season count fully against the cap hit."

Petan played 54 games last season. As such the Jets are on the hook from a cap standpoint for his entire salary this season regardless of where he plays. Really? That doesn't sound right.

Roslovic on the other hand played 1 NHL game accounting for roughly 3 NHL days for arguments sake. There were a total of 179 days in the regular season. Jack's max cap hit last year was $925,000. So (925000*3)/179=15,502. His cap hit this year is $15,500? Regardless of where he plays? That can't be right either.

Anyone?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
So I did the math & it's exactly what I originally thought before we got into this. After reading cap friendly's FAQ (which is bolded above) I got thoroughly confused.

The 2017-2018 NHL season consists of 186 days. To calculate cap hits one simply divides a players cap hit by 186 & then multiplies it by the number of days they were active in the NHL to get their accumulated hit.

Phillips=3 days in the NHL at $675,000.
3(675000/186)=$10,887

Melchiori=20 days in the NHL at $625,000.
20(625000/186)=$67,204

Comrie=29 days in the NHL at $645,000
29(645000/186)=$100,565

Lemieux=46 days in the NHL at $839,167
46(839167/186)=$207,536

(see image)

You are correct that the capfriendly projected year end cap hit is based on the assumption ALL players presently on the roster remain there for the remainder of the season. The math proves you are correct...as does placing ones mouse over the question mark immediately following "projected cap hit" on their website...doh!!

Following the trade deadline the Jets can maintain a 27 man roster. Normally it is 26, but if the Jets make it until the deadline with a roster of 27 (due to injury) they are allowed to carry 27.

Just because they can doesn't mean they will. Once healthy the Jets could send down the following players with the bracketed figure coming off the teams current projected cap:

Petan ($175,314)
Poolman ($213,844)
Hutchinson ($265,860)
Roslovic ($206,715)

for a total savings of $861,733.00 off the projected cap.

So back to my original post #123, with the Jets near the cap limit I doubt they will carry a 26-27 man roster for the duration of the regular season. In all likelihood Petan, Poolman & Hutchinson are returned to the Moose with only Roslovic remaining.

That brings up forward lines. Jets haven't had a healthy lineup while also having both Connor & Roslovic up in the bigs.

But that's a topic for another thread.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 12.22.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 12.22.39 PM.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Also complicating things is whether or not they want to make Petan Roslovic Poolman eligible for the AHL playoffs. If they do with any of them then they need to be returned to the Moose before the deadline.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So the projected team-paid bonuses as of today:

Laine at T6 in goals leaguewide is in for $1.8M in Sked B bonuses.

Laine, Ehlers and Connor all have locked 20 goals for $212.500 each.

Laine (0.82) and Ehlers (0.74) are in for $212.500 in PpGP (0.73 needed). Connor is barely out at 0.71.

This also means Laine (51) and Ehlers (46) with all 62 games played are on pace to 60 Points for another $212.500. Connor with his 40 Points would need to be PpG for the rest of Regular Season.

Laine (3rd), Ehlers (4th) and Connor (6th) are good for another $212.500 each in total aggregate ToI in forwards (needs to be in Top 6). They also are 5th, 6th and 4th in ToI/GP in forwards, which is the other way to get the dough in the category.

None seems to be reaching 35 assists or making it to Top3 forwards in +/-.

So in forwards summary, Laine and Ehlers project to max out their $2.65M and $0.85M. Ehlers can't afford to drop his production one inch though, lest he drop to $0.425M. Connor sits at projected $0.425M which he can upgrade to $0.6375M with a slight uptake in points production. Likely won't reach his max $0.85M.

Morrissey is 2nd in Defenders in total aggregate ToI (Top 4 needed) projecting to $212.500 and also securely 2nd for Blocked Shots (Top 2 needed) for another $212.500. His 5/15/20 is not enough for the Defender 10G/25A/40P thresholds. He's T4 in +/- with only one + out from Defender Top3.

So, Morrissey is looking to have $0.425M of his contractual max $0.5M, maxing out if lucky in +/-.

Roslovic and Poolman are out from the scoring race and unable to hit the 42 GP to qualify for the in-team comparison ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
So the projected team-paid bonuses as of today:

Laine at T6 in goals leaguewide is in for $1.8M in Sked B bonuses.

Laine, Ehlers and Connor all have locked 20 goals for $212.500 each.

Laine (0.82) and Ehlers (0.74) are in for $212.500 in PpGP (0.73 needed). Connor is barely out at 0.71.

This also means Laine (51) and Ehlers (46) with all 62 games played are on pace to 60 Points for another $212.500. Connor with his 40 Points would need to be PpG for the rest of Regular Season.

Laine (3rd), Ehlers (4th) and Connor (6th) are good for another $212.500 each in total aggregate ToI in forwards (needs to be in Top 6). They also are 5th, 6th and 4th in ToI/GP in forwards, which is the other way to get the dough in the category.

None seems to be reaching 35 assists or making it to Top3 forwards in +/-.

So in forwards summary, Laine and Ehlers project to max out their $2.65M and $0.85M. Ehlers can't afford to drop his production one inch though, lest he drop to $0.425M. Connor sits at projected $0.425M which he can upgrade to $0.6375M with a slight uptake in points production. Likely won't reach his max $0.85M.

Morrissey is 2nd in Defenders in total aggregate ToI (Top 4 needed) projecting to $212.500 and also securely 2nd for Blocked Shots (Top 2 needed) for another $212.500. His 5/15/20 is not enough for the Defender 10G/25A/40P thresholds. He's T4 in +/- with only one + out from Defender Top3.

So, Morrissey is looking to have $0.45M of his contractual max $0.5M, maxing out if lucky in +/-.

Roslovic and Poolman are out from the scoring race and unable to hit the 42 GP to qualify for the in-team comparison ones.

Nice report. One thing is that not every bonus category is automatically assigned $212.5K. Those are negotiable. It's very likely Morrissey's goal posts are lower than the max

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Nice report. One thing is that not every bonus category is automatically assigned $212.5K. Those are negotiable. It's very likely Morrissey's goal posts are lower than the max
It's possible I guess, and certainly in the Exhibit 5 rules, but if a player is otherwise deemed bonus worthy, it seems needless and even cheap to negotiate a lower bonus (or higher demanded performance level for getting it) to individual categories, instead of just capping the max aggregate. If JoMo hits three categories with the minimum performance level demanded, it's like a big FU if that doesn't take him to his agreed-on $500k cap.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
It's possible I guess, and certainly in the Exhibit 5 rules, but if a player is otherwise deemed bonus worthy, it seems needless and even cheap to negotiate a lower bonus (or higher demanded performance level for getting it) to individual categories, instead of just capping the max aggregate. If JoMo hits three categories with the minimum performance level demanded, it's like a big FU if that doesn't take him to his agreed-on $500k cap.

I think you are missing what I'm saying. The bonuses are tied to the milestones but the $ value is not 212.5k if achieved. In fact it has to be to make a max of $500k. It happens all the time in contract negotiations. Not every player drafted gets max bonuses even skied A , on the contrary. They actually really rare, unless you're a top ten pick. Even Ehlers only hit $850k for his third year.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think you are missing what I'm saying. The bonuses are tied to the milestones but the $ value is not 212.5k if achieved. In fact it has to be to make a max of $500k. It happens all the time in contract negotiations. Not every player drafted gets max bonuses even skied A , on the contrary. They actually really rare, unless you're a top ten pick. Even Ehlers only hit $850k for his third year.
No, I get it. They are "individually negotiated bonuses" after all. A Club can negotiate with a ELC Player a bonus in the listed categories. The max money allowed in one is $212.500, the minimum performance level is the one listed. If they want within those limits they can agree that if you get 50 Goals you get $100k. Or $100k for 20 goals and $112,5k more if you hit 30 as the example in Exhibit 5 has it.

I just really would like to see one real life example where they actually negotiated a more difficult individual bonus category terms for a player. It seems like a bad policy on the team's part. The individually set max (that can be up to $850k) doesn't automatically scale down the individual categories, it just happens that once you hit $212.5k + $212.5k + $212.5k in three categories, your money stops accumulating once you reach your individually negotiated max aggregate which for JoMo is $500k and you won't get more.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Eith the Stastny trade the jets will end up 424k beliw the cap at the end of the season with no roster changes. they have about 1.5 aav they can acquire and moving Mathias gives them another 2.125 in face value.

So thatd about 5.3125 in aav they can acquire without a bonus overage. 50% retained and Mathias going the other way.

I doubt that happens but there is still room.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Looks like they're going to end the season at 74.6m. 400k under the cap. Expect some interesting moves this summer and next with regards to cap management.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Looks like they're going to end the season at 74.6m. 400k under the cap. Expect some interesting moves this summer and next with regards to cap management.

Toby, Myers and Mason all gone IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad