Pre-Game Talk: Jets @ Drumheller - Oct 8/21 - 8 PM - TSN3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Cole looks good - making it really tough on Mo.
The guys all hockey sense - always looking to make a play and rarely makes a bad one.
At the start of camp I thought that there was no way Perfetti should make the team. He really changed my mind - he's so smart, he has confidence to make plays at this level, he's processing the game at nhl speed and he protects his body more than a guy like Ehlers.

Even though he could solve our 2LW dilemma, I still think the best move for the team is to start him on the Moose. We just have too many quality forwards, some of them who need to be in the NHL at this point in their careers. From a pure asset management perspective is the logical play. He's undoubtedly the best choice for a call up if one of our top 6 get hurt.

I'd love to see Svech get an extended look at 2LW. 71-80-27 could be a lethal, balanced line.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
At the start of camp I thought that there was no way Perfetti should make the team. He really changed my mind - he's so smart, he has confidence to make plays at this level, he's processing the game at nhl speed and he protects his body more than a guy like Ehlers.

Even though he could solve our 2LW dilemma, I still think the best move for the team is to start him on the Moose. We just have too many quality forwards, some of them who need to be in the NHL at this point in their careers. From a pure asset management perspective is the logical play. He's undoubtedly the best choice for a call up if one of our top 6 get hurt.

I'd love to see Svech get an extended look at 2LW. 71-80-27 could be a lethal, balanced line.

I know I was the over the top Cheerleader on draft day for Cole but it was because it’s rare to find that level of hockey IQ with skill. It’s truly elite. I friendly wagered a buddy he would be better than Byfield one day and I will stick to that.

That being said I have no problem with him starting on the Moose. Let’s him keep developing his craft there as the heavy minutes #1 centre.

Wicked Luck lol that he fell to us in the draft. I still can’t believe it.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Heinola has no confidence right now. He's overthinking plays he usually makes in his sleep. His reads have been off quite a bit at times. He got dusted wide on one play and turned the wrong way on another. That's really out of character for him and is most likely a product of his confidence level.

As with the forwards, we have quality top to bottom in our top 6, and with the way 28 is playing, it just makes sense for him to be the first call up if someone in our top 6 goes down. He can play on the Moose, be the man, and get his confidence back.

I'm not sure what Beaulieu did in the off season but looks very good in my mind. He looks determined to prove that his draft position wasn't a total mistake by Montreal. Sure, we've seen this before but if he can limit his boo boo moments he's a guy I don't mind at all being our pb guy and coming in occasionally.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Boy reading these comments you would have thought Perfetti played a Lee Stempniak caliber of game.
upload_2021-10-9_8-59-14.png

He's gonna be another "Pat Boutette"!

Last edited:
Reactions: Snot Rocket

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Stanley is a stud, but Heinola is looking like he has lost his swagger.

Schieff is still coasting in his own end IMHO, but waht say yee about PLD, great backcheck but how has he played this pre season have not seen him play much.
Agreed on all counts, but I'm not going to be too hard on Schief taking it easy in his own end. The last time he back-checked hard Montreal fans almost burned him at the stake. ;)

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Heinola has no confidence right now. He's overthinking plays he usually makes in his sleep. His reads have been off quite a bit at times. He got dusted wide on one play and turned the wrong way on another. That's really out of character for him and is most likely a product of his confidence level.

As with the forwards, we have quality top to bottom in our top 6, and with the way 28 is playing, it just makes sense for him to be the first call up if someone in our top 6 goes down. He can play on the Moose, be the man, and get his confidence back.

I'm not sure what Beaulieu did in the off season but looks very good in my mind. He looks determined to prove that his draft position wasn't a total mistake by Montreal. Sure, we've seen this before but if he can limit his boo boo moments he's a guy I don't mind at all being our pb guy and coming in occasionally.
That's the second time Heinola turned the wrong way on a play this off-season. Although he looks healthy, I'm wondering if he has a sore wheel. Perhaps what he needs is an off-season training with NHL people in North America instead of staying in Finland all off-season. Ves looked good his first camp, then went backwards after returning to Finland instead of training with NHLers in North America.

Or maybe I'm overthinking things like Heinola has been doing on the ice.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I think at this point in his career we've seen all that Beaulieu can do. Even at his best, he's extremely limited. He will be exploited as he often is when the regular season starts, the prospects and fourth line candidates are sent to the farm, and teams start playing for keeps. He's good at sacrificing his body and sticking up for his teammates. We have Stanley and Dillon to stick up for our boys now. We really don't need Beaulieu unless we're ravaged by injuries (I'd have Kovacevic come up before him).

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I have been one of Maurice’s biggest critics over the years. I would suggest that he knows Perfetti can play up the lineup and he really wants to see if Tonantino and Nash can play up the lineup or not. Isn’t that what exhibiting is for? Sure it may seem like Perfetti didn’t get an opportunity but the Jets know what they have in him. The other 2 guys not so much.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I have been one of Maurice’s biggest critics over the years. I would suggest that he knows Perfetti can play up the lineup and he really wants to see if Tonantino and Nash can play up the lineup or not. Isn’t that what exhibiting is for? Sure it may seem like Perfetti didn’t get an opportunity but the Jets know what they have in him. The other 2 guys not so much.
Thank you. Very sensible take.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
That's the second time Heinola turned the wrong way on a play this off-season. Although he looks healthy, I'm wondering if he has a sore wheel. Perhaps what he needs is an off-season training with NHL people in North America instead of staying in Finland all off-season. Ves looked good his first camp, then went backwards after returning to Finland instead of training with NHLers in North America.

Or maybe I'm overthinking things like Heinola has been doing on the ice.

I get the feeling he has no issues in the offensive end - he is not hesitant in joining the rush or driving deep in plays.
I saw him down low a few times where I thought he playing a forward shift -

I also think he is self aware and understands he needs to be better defensively - and that might be what is making him over think things a bit.
He doesn't appear to be relying on instinct - it's more as if he's sorting out what he needs to do and realizing quickly that the NHL is not the AHL.

He'll learn if he is patient - remain self aware and work on what he needs to work on.
The worst thing that can happen is if he thinks his offence will cover for this D shortfall - similar to Niku.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I mean Toninato is a 27 year old with a well established track record of being a NHL tweener. I would think Maurice should know exactly what he is at this point.

Reactions: Aggie204 and hn777

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Sure Perfetti looked good but was on the ice for 1 high danger chance for and 4 against for an xG of 38%. People here would be blasting Wheeler for those results..

Sure, but Cole is a raw rookie and Wheeler is a 35 year-old vet and the highest-paid Jet. The more apt comparison would be 19 YO Wheeler — who I’m willing to bet was no preseason analytics star.

My guess is that high-level monetized analytics available to the Jets is able to provide more detailed context for those numbers. I doubt they’re looking at that 1-game xG and preparing to cut bait with young Cole P.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I mean Toninato is a 27 year old with a well established track record of being a NHL tweener. I would think Maurice should know exactly what he is at this point.
I don't think so. Toninato has stepped it up recently and is in serious competition for various roles at the bottom of the roster.

Perfetti is a budding star, who has the rare opportunity to finish his development in the AHL at age 19. Nothing will change where he plays, at least for the first part of the season.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Sure Perfetti looked good but was on the ice for 1 high danger chance for and 4 against for an xG of 38%. People here would be blasting Wheeler for those results..
Eh, I don't think anyone should look at xG over a single game, same as with the HDCF/A. We had some game against Toronto last year when, IIRC, two one-timers from the slot from Connor and Ehlers that both went in didn't count as high danger chances.

I wasn't expecting Perfetti to make the team, but I'm really stoked about the improvements he has made in a year. The scouts that had him ranked among the top in 2020 were all in agreement that he was so intelligent and talented that if his physical skills even reached above average, he'd be one of the best players in the league. The fact that he's as good and responsible as he is defensively, at age 19, is a testament to that.

Nov 24, 2006
I think you’re both right.

But we all know Perfetti is not making the show this year unless a significant injury necessitates him being up. Toninato on the other hand will likely be up all year so there is likely a much better chance of him needing to move up and down the lineup for short stints.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I get the feeling he has no issues in the offensive end - he is not hesitant in joining the rush or driving deep in plays.
I saw him down low a few times where I thought he playing a forward shift -

I also think he is self aware and understands he needs to be better defensively - and that might be what is making him over think things a bit.
He doesn't appear to be relying on instinct - it's more as if he's sorting out what he needs to do and realizing quickly that the NHL is not the AHL.

He'll learn if he is patient - remain self aware and work on what he needs to work on.
The worst thing that can happen is if he thinks his offence will cover for this D shortfall - similar to Niku.

Agree with you and @Jet that he is overthinking things, and that this is a common occurrence for young D. Don’t think he’s a a candidate for Niku-dom, though. Too smart, skilled, hard-working and ambitious. He’ll get there.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think so. Toninato has stepped it up recently and is in serious competition for various roles at the bottom of the roster.

Perfetti is a budding star, who has the rare opportunity to finish his development in the AHL at age 19. Nothing will change where he plays, at least for the first part of the season.

Key word is bottom of the roster, not top 6. He isnt playing top 6 for this team and if he is we are in trouble.

He is a fourth line guy that can PK and there is nothing wrong with that. Expecting more is not based on anything factual.

Given the way Cole was playing giving him a reward by moving him up to recognize his play would have been a good move.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sure, but Cole is a raw rookie and Wheeler is a 35 year-old vet and the highest-paid Jet. The more apt comparison would be 19 YO Wheeler — who I’m willing to bet was no preseason analytics star.

My guess is that high-level monetized analytics available to the Jets is able to provide more detailed context for those numbers. I doubt they’re looking at that 1-game xG and preparing to cut bait with young Cole P.

Also I counted atleast 3 high danger chances for that Cole was on the ice for last nigh that unsurprisingly weren't counted. I have found some arenas are pretty biased in how they count them for visiting vs. Home teams. One of the reasons I don't care about single game XGF stats any longer.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wheeler cannot come back soon enough. Top line looked garbage without him on there.

Perfetti looked better than KV as all season in that spot. Too bad the Jets didn't seem to have competition for that and the backup goalie spot and instead seemed to walk to camp intent on giving those roles to KV/Comrie.

Why do you think Wheeler would have been more engaged than KC and Scheifele in that spot? Is he a rookie trying to win a job? :sarcasm:

Reactions: surixon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad