Pre-Game Talk: Jets @ Drumheller - Oct 8/21 - 8 PM - TSN3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Heinola has no confidence right now. He's overthinking plays he usually makes in his sleep. His reads have been off quite a bit at times. He got dusted wide on one play and turned the wrong way on another. That's really out of character for him and is most likely a product of his confidence level.

As with the forwards, we have quality top to bottom in our top 6, and with the way 28 is playing, it just makes sense for him to be the first call up if someone in our top 6 goes down. He can play on the Moose, be the man, and get his confidence back.

I'm not sure what Beaulieu did in the off season but looks very good in my mind. He looks determined to prove that his draft position wasn't a total mistake by Montreal. Sure, we've seen this before but if he can limit his boo boo moments he's a guy I don't mind at all being our pb guy and coming in occasionally.

Not so much in this game, but BooBoo was so bad in the last game I could not believe it. I don't know what some people were watching. He was directly responsible for 100% of flames goals in that one. Standing still to try and hit an opponent who is flying by him time after time. :shakehead Not saying he was anything like good in this game either.

Reactions: surixon

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Not so much in this game, but BooBoo was so bad in the last game I could not believe it. I don't know what some people were watching. He was directly responsible for 100% of flames goals in that one. Standing still to try and hit an opponent who is flying by him time after time. :shakehead Not saying he was anything like good in this game either.
He does tend toward doing the good ol' Mark Stuart fairly regularly. He is, however, playing more offensive hockey so far during the preseason, meaning he's not just bleeding shots against.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have been one of Maurice’s biggest critics over the years. I would suggest that he knows Perfetti can play up the lineup and he really wants to see if Tonantino and Nash can play up the lineup or not. Isn’t that what exhibiting is for? Sure it may seem like Perfetti didn’t get an opportunity but the Jets know what they have in him. The other 2 guys not so much.

You may have a point there. Or not. :laugh:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Imagine being Jansen Harkins, getting a chance to show what you can do with skilled players. And neither of those players show up to play.

Dubois had a good game. Really good game. Still weak on the puck but his skating and effort was there.

Ehlers is crazy to watch. So fast and skilled and competitive. Both times he got hurt were stupid plays on his part.

Stanley started the game poorly but got better as it went on.

I'm getting more on board with Schmidt every game.

Heinola: I mentioned it at the Juniors last year that he has an awkward pivot and poor positioning in the defensive zone. Then he seemed to settle down and figure it out. Now it's back. Hopefully he just needs to settle down again. He got beat up physically last night though, the whole team did.

Nobody else worth mentioning in their own paragraph. Happy we didn't give Copp a long term deal. Lowry seems to have worked on his skating, there were 3 times I can remember that he surprised me with his quickness and straight line speed. DeMelo had a bad game, Beaulieu has looked decent. Pionk goes in the Scheifele/Connor "couldn't bother to show up" tier. I'm probably forgetting someone. Oh yeah Dillon wasn't good. He's going to put us on the penalty kill a lot. Toninato and Nash were good. Very happy we kept Stastny, he'd be a better fit than Copp in the top 6. Based on this preseason there are about 3 or 4 players I'd play over Copp in the top 6.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He does tend toward doing the good ol' Mark Stuart fairly regularly. He is, however, playing more offensive hockey so far during the preseason, meaning he's not just bleeding shots against.

OK, but I don't think the one covers for the other. And he appears to be able to show Stuart how it really should be done! :sarcasm: Man, Stuart was never that bad. At least he was usually moving his feet a bit.

Maybe I should be looking at Beaulieu like many other veteran players who are half-assing it. But he SHOULD know that he is fighting for a job here. Which he sure as heck should be.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Pre-season or not, that game was a giant sh*tburger. That was 2 hours I will never get back.
I pvr'd that game and the Bombers game at the same time. I didn't start watching until about 9:45. I'd watch approximately 15-20 minutes of one game, and then 15-20 minutes of the other, fastforwarding through commercials, half-time, between periods and the occasional stoppage in play.

I hope the Jets and Bombers aren't on at the same time again this season.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
OK, but I don't think the one covers for the other. And he appears to be able to show Stuart how it really should be done! :sarcasm: Man, Stuart was never that bad. At least he was usually moving his feet a bit.

Maybe I should be looking at Beaulieu like many other veteran players who are half-assing it. But he SHOULD know that he is fighting for a job here. Which he sure as heck should be.
Stuart was pretty damn bad away from Trouba. But yeah, I'm not a fan of Beaulieu. But as long as he's not playing over Stanley, and doesn't block Heinola once he's gotten some confidence back, I won't lose my head over his being on the roster for this season.
Imagine being Jansen Harkins, getting a chance to show what you can do with skilled players. And neither of those players show up to play.

Dubois had a good game. Really good game. Still weak on the puck but his skating and effort was there.

Ehlers is crazy to watch. So fast and skilled and competitive. Both times he got hurt were stupid plays on his part.

Stanley started the game poorly but got better as it went on.

I'm getting more on board with Schmidt every game.

Heinola: I mentioned it at the Juniors last year that he has an awkward pivot and poor positioning in the defensive zone. Then he seemed to settle down and figure it out. Now it's back. Hopefully he just needs to settle down again. He got beat up physically last night though, the whole team did.

Nobody else worth mentioning in their own paragraph. Happy we didn't give Copp a long term deal. Lowry seems to have worked on his skating, there were 3 times I can remember that he surprised me with his quickness and straight line speed. DeMelo had a bad game, Beaulieu has looked decent. Pionk goes in the Scheifele/Connor "couldn't bother to show up" tier. I'm probably forgetting someone. Oh yeah Dillon wasn't good. He's going to put us on the penalty kill a lot. Toninato and Nash were good. Very happy we kept Stastny, he'd be a better fit than Copp in the top 6. Based on this preseason there are about 3 or 4 players I'd play over Copp in the top 6.
You don't think Perfetti deserved his own paragraph?:rant:

Reactions: surixon

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Stuart was pretty damn bad away from Trouba. But yeah, I'm not a fan of Beaulieu. But as long as he's not playing over Stanley, and doesn't block Heinola once he's gotten some confidence back, I won't lose my head over his being on the roster for this season.

You don't think Perfetti deserved his own paragraph?:rant:
Baha I figured I talked about him enough last night :P

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm curious as to how long the Copp in the topn6 experiment lasts. He contributes nothing to that line and really can't keep up with Dubois and Ehlers when they are really moving.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I'm curious as to how long the Copp in the topn6 experiment lasts. He contributes nothing to that line and really can't keep up with Dubois and Ehlers when they are really moving.

Yep. Not going to happen, and shouldn’t at this point, but Cole P is already a better fit there, and Harkins or Ves at least have the speed and offensive smarts to keep up (and maybe Svetch also?)

Last edited:

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Also I counted atleast 3 high danger chances for that Cole was on the ice for last nigh that unsurprisingly weren't counted. I have found some arenas are pretty biased in how they count them for visiting vs. Home teams. One of the reasons I don't care about single game XGF stats any longer.

If you can’t trust each individual game, how could you trust them in general?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I pvr'd that game and the Bombers game at the same time. I didn't start watching until about 9:45. I'd watch approximately 15-20 minutes of one game, and then 15-20 minutes of the other, fastforwarding through commercials, half-time, between periods and the occasional stoppage in play.

I hope the Jets and Bombers aren't on at the same time again this season.

I believe it happens 3 more times this season.

Reactions: Pandemonia

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If you can’t trust each individual game, how could you trust them in general?

I don't really put much stock in them any longer. Lost quite a bit of faith in how the data was being collected last year. Still things tend to flatten out a bit over a large sample of home vs. Away games.

Reactions: hn777

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Call it recency bias but I’m not overly confident that this team gets off to a decent start. It’s only preseason but I can’t shake this feeling that it’s going to be an ugly start to the season. Again it’s only the preseason but I haven’t seen anything from CSW that would indicate any improvement from last year.
For all the talk of change we know one thing with Maurice and that the past is always prologue and that after 3 games it will be CSW, Dubois Ehlers and Stansny, Lowry Copp Svechnikov (maybe) and a fourth line of Nash Toninato Harkins that plays 6 minutes a night producing absolutely nothing.

Reactions: hn777 and jungles

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Call it recency bias but I’m not overly confident that this team gets off to a decent start. It’s only preseason but I can’t shake this feeling that it’s going to be an ugly start to the season. Again it’s only the preseason but I haven’t seen anything from CSW that would indicate any improvement from last year.
For all the talk of change we know one thing with Maurice and that the past is always prologue and that after 3 games it will be CSW, Dubois Ehlers and Stansny, Lowry Copp Svechnikov (maybe) and a fourth line of Nash Toninato Harkins that plays 6 minutes a night producing absolutely nothing.

There are a lot of new faces on the team and new 5 on 5 systems so I have always expected it would take a good 10 games for the team to really gel. The counter to that is our first 10 games are against really bad teams which should even things out.

Not sold on our special teams though which are supposedly staying pretty close to the same. I don't expect pp2 to be as hot this year and pp1 is really static.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad