Proposal: Jets Defence Mega Thread

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At this point, we wanna get rid of Weber? :D

Not really but the timing of what Weber has left does not necessarily fall in line with when the Habs cup window opens. Hope I am wrong but If I am right, we will look back in 4 years time and say... why didn't we trade Weber to a cup contender or a team who needed him more than we do back when.

Similar to Markov and Pleky back when. We kept them and they kept us in the middle of the pack range. It's not a good spot to be for several years and the Habs are going down that road again it appears.

Our youth and prospect pool won't return value for us for a few years yet... if they turn into what we think the can.

Not worried about Price cause his window is longer than Weber. Weber will likely retire when we are ready to compete for cup IMO.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Question to Leaf-fans
If this trade happens, this would mean you keep Risto and no way you could sign Muzz or Barrie?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Weber is a good acquisition for a team in "win right now mode". He's still a No 1 defenseman and he'd make a big difference on a team like the Leafs or Tampa. Any team that has Weber also has Nashville over a barrel due to cap recapture should he retire before age 40. You can be sure the Preds try to get him back and puts him on LTIR at $1 million a year before than happens. He has value now and value later if he decides to retire before the end of his contract. The Habs are in no rush to trade him.

Circumstance matters. I would propose a Weber trade to other cup contenders but they don't have the cap space. The situation with the Jets and Buff possibly retiring does seem like a good fit for Weber. Jets are as close to win now mode than any team in the NHL but yeah, they lost to big pieces on RD. Some think the Jets should wait it out but that is ignoring prime seasons from parts of your core and letting them slip by. You better bet the Jets GM is going to explore options but Buff has them held hostage at the moment with his cap hit.

But hey, Jets fans don't want him they say. It's all good. Habs are not desperate to trade Weber and in all honesty, our GM likely has zero interest in trading Weber cause he loves the middle of the pack strategy and he is trying to keep his job (2 more years in term left). It's kind of like how the politicians are running our country for the short term to buy votes vs the smarter long term plans. Some think my price is too high... That's a joke cause I don't think you would like the return Bergevin would want.

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
This might be one of the worst proposals I've ever seen.
Are you a leaf fan?
Why on earth would we want Risto?
Have you looked at our D this year?
Have you looked at our cap situation moving forward?
Have you put any thought at all into this proposal?
I hate to rag on you this hard but my lord. I've seen some doozies before...

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
This doesn't really do much for the Penguins, except re-allocate the money to a forward instead of a D-man. Perreault is another solid player who would struggle under Mike Sullivan because our coach does not recognize hockey sense, only speed-skating ability and defensive play.

Also, Perreault is another complementary forward and we have those in abundance. What we need is a Kessel replacement. Those are harder to get but that is what we need.
Seems like Perrault is a Sullivan type player. Perrault has a history of being a line driver because of his hustle and creating turnovers.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I never watch Brodie play but Flames fans complain enough about him on here for me to say no.

Flames fans complain about Brodie too much. He makes a lot of good plays, but fans only focus on his visible screwups.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
This might be one of the worst proposals I've ever seen.
Are you a leaf fan?
Why on earth would we want Risto?
Have you looked at our D this year?
Have you looked at our cap situation moving forward?
Have you put any thought at all into this proposal?
I hate to rag on you this hard but my lord. I've seen some doozies before...

Risto has a few years left on his contract. 5.4m for 3 more years is gonna be less than what Barrie will get this offseason. I can see Muzzin taking a discount to stay, but definitely not Barrie.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Pietrangelo would be an interesting option as they seem to have excess D, but I'm not sure the Jet's would trade with St. Louis

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Ceci has been much better than advertised so far this season, no chance the Leafs make this deal. They already have Barrie on the RD to run the PP and be the offensive D, they need a guy who can play with Rielly, and Risto is not that.

Looking at this proposal. the only questions to ask is did The OP get The Jets GM mixed up with the Leafs GM.

I agree. Leafs GM managed to sign all of their RFA's without losing half of their roster.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Gudbranson isn't as bad as people in here think, and Perrault is also just as overpaid for his services compared to Gudbranson. I'm seeing the same arguments used against Gudbranson that could and should be said about Perrault. Perrault is also injury prone. This deal isn't that bad.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
This is a bad deal for both teams.

The Flames D gets thinned out.

No way the Jets trade Elhers anything short of a over payment(which the Flames cannot afford.)

Would the Jets have interest around something Brodie for Jack Roslovic.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
risto for ehlers come on you know you want it

DO IT don't think just DO IT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad