Proposal: Jets Defence Mega Thread

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Considering Brodie was traded to Toronto this summer for Kadri, before Kadri refused to waive, I think they've accepted that Brodie is a movable asset. Kylington is a nice addition (as compared to Jankowski in the leafs trade) as a cost controlled roster player that fits their needs, with upside. With Valimaki and Anderrson both making the squad this year ahead of Kylington he is the odd man out and movable. Stone would have to play on the bottom pair until Valimaki was healthy again but they would not be desperate.
I think you're miscounting defensemen. This trade would bump Stone up to 5th on the depth chart until Valimaki came back and the Flames would have to call up 2 guys from Stockton (with 1 of them in the lineup until Valimaki returns, which as I understand it might not be this year)

justanotherleafsfan

Oct 5, 2019
You're not even getting Ceci.

Remember Leafs fans making proposals for your RHDs all those years and you were like why would we create a hole in our roster to help out another team, well shoe is on the other foot.

RHD are as hard of a commodity to find in the trade and UFA market. Good luck drafting a few though.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
There are lots of Jets fans that are willing to ride out this D problem in favor of giving the young guys ice time and waiting for our prospects like Samberg and Stanley to show up. Giving up a player like Ehlers or Conner for a filler RD makes no sense. Same goes for giving up a high draft pick. Now, if a very good D with upside on a good contract is available there would be real interest. Not seeing that though.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
You're not even getting Ceci.

Remember Leafs fans making proposals for your RHDs all those years and you were like why would we create a hole in our roster to help out another team, well shoe is on the other foot.

RHD are as hard of a commodity to find in the trade and UFA market. Good luck drafting a few though.
You don’t have to worry about Jets having interest in Ceci. He is all yours.

justanotherleafsfan

Oct 5, 2019
There are lots of Jets fans that are willing to ride out this D problem in favor of giving the young guys ice time and waiting for our prospects like Samberg and Stanley to show up. Giving up a player like Ehlers or Conner for a filler RD makes no sense. Same goes for giving up a high draft pick. Now, if a very good D with upside on a good contract is available there would be real interest. Not seeing that though.
Not like we love Ceci, but cheers for missing the point.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
How are those guys going to help? They need a top pairing guy not #6/7 defencemen. They need to go get an Ekblad or Werenski or something like that. Its hard to do but getting Ceci/Pysyk or whoever will just make things worse as those guys are awful unless they have someone to cover for their flaws like Rielly does for Ceci.
Werenski is a LHD, not RHD, but I get your point, you need Top 4 Dmen. What would the Jets offer for Mike Green or Madison Bowey?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Werenski is a LHD, not RHD, but I get your point, you need Top 4 Dmen. What would the Jets offer for Mike Green or Madison Bowey?

Not much. Zero interest in Green, even for free. Not much interest in Bowey either, even if he's from Winnipeg. Maybe if he's cheap, but I don't think there's a reason for Detroit to trade him for scraps, which is all Winnipeg would be offering.

Reactions: Snowman

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Perreault for a 3rd makes some sense just because it helps with the cap, but Gudbranson does nothing for us, and he cancels out any savings by trading Perreault. Doesn't make much sense from a Winnipeg perspective; would rather hold on to Perreault (he looks good this year) or try and trade him for a mid-pick, if there's a suitor.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
That contract on Weber is too much for the Jets. Plus, it's an overpayment for him.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
The Jets can’t afford to loose Ehlers. He’s easily their best puck possession player at the moment and they would be spending far more time in their own end without him. That would far outweigh any defensive benefit Brodie brings to the table and while Kylington could turn out to be a good player but he’s more or less on the same level as a number of young D already in the Jets system. They need to give a shot to the young D they already have before giving up assets to get another one.

Reactions: Huffer

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Considering Brodie was traded to Toronto this summer for Kadri, before Kadri refused to waive, I think they've accepted that Brodie is a movable asset. Kylington is a nice addition (as compared to Jankowski in the leafs trade) as a cost controlled roster player that fits their needs, with upside. With Valimaki and Anderrson both making the squad this year ahead of Kylington he is the odd man out and movable. Stone would have to play on the bottom pair until Valimaki was healthy again but they would not be desperate.
Yeah, you might want to take a look at the depth chart again. Currently, it's
Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington-Andersson
Stone

You take out Brodie and Kylington and you're only replacing them with Stone? That doesn't add up. And then what happens when Hamonic and/or Stone get injured like they always do? Honestly, why is it so hard for fans to take injuries into account?

And Valimaki's done for the season by most accounts. He might be back by the playoffs but even then, it's not like he's going step into the lineup right away. In other words, he's irrelevant for this seasons plans.

Lastly, Brodie was almost traded when Valimaki was still healthy. Now, the situation has changed and fans need to accept it. They simply can't afford to move Brodie anymore, not if they actually want to compete.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
i hate the Jets. would rather not trade them Gudbranson for a nobody

(not sure what they're watching but Gudbranson has been perfectly fine so far with the Pens, albeit overpaid; he certainly isn't negative value and i can immediately ignore anyone who suggests he is)

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If we're moving ehlers, it would be for a young RHD with first pairing potential. His play plus his contract make him extremely valuable to us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad