Pre-Game Talk: Jets @ Blues | Thurs, Oct 4th, 7PM CT | TSN | Season Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Well his agent said they were looking for a big NHL contract so I do believe he wanted to stay in the show. I'll try to find the interview.

If I were a GM, I wouldn't pay Enstrom more than $ 1.5 mil --that's it. He probably thinks he worth $ 4 mil plus ??- "dream on". The guy is soft, and is very injury prone, and his NHL days are likely over. If he does make it back somehow, he'll be out half the year with an injury. Nothing against Toby really -I just think Morrow is a lot better--he's way more physical, can skate really well, and offers way mote offense. I'd also probably prefer to play Chiarot over Enstrom, as I like a little grit on defense, and some scoring value as well --which Enstrom does not bring.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
This is not sane, neither Morrow or Chiarot are a better option than a healthy Enstrom, even at this stage. ×/-? , Chiarot on the PK? Enstrom skating exposed? A defenseman that steps up being Maurice/Huddy's specialty?

Wtf?

Sorry, disagree with everything.

Anyway, Enstrom is gone. It's not that I wish him back, I just prefer his skill over the other two, who are by no measure top 4 D men on a Stanley Cup contender.

Morrow was a higher pick than Enstrom and has shown positively with the increasing ice time he gets, he has more potential that has never been tapped into before. He's also cheap which this team needs, you don't get a better defenseman for his cap hit. Don't understand why he's hated on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deedog99 and GNP

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Morrow was a higher pick than Enstrom and has shown positively with the increasing ice time he gets, he has more potential that has never been trapped into before. He's also cheap which this team needs, you don't get a better defenseman for his cap hit. Don't understand why he's hated on.

Morrow was also a higher pick than Buff, but im not really sure how pick position is relevant 5+ years after a player is drafted or when comparing someone to another player. Draft position has literally no impact on a player's ability to play hockey.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Morrow was also a higher pick than Buff, but im not really sure how pick position is relevant 5+ years after a player is drafted or when comparing someone to another player. Draft position has literally no impact on a player's ability to play hockey.

My point was that he has upside/pedigree and never really got a shot before. So I think he'll surprise many when getting to play a full season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My point was that he has upside/pedigree and never really got a shot before. So I think he'll surprise many when getting to play a full season.
I tend to agree that he's sort of been bounced around. It's hard to tell if it was his issue, or just not great situations for development. He certainly did bounce around quite a bit, which isn't an ideal developmental trajectory. I've generally found him better than I expected, and I think if he's in the right situation he can be decent. If he is consistent in making solid decisions, his tools should make him a positive player.

boyko10

44-11-9
Apr 27, 2017
Said it a year and a half ago (and was promptly dismissed fwiw), but here I am repeating it again.. Laine will never, ever be LW again.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Morrow was a higher pick than Enstrom and has shown positively with the increasing ice time he gets, he has more potential that has never been tapped into before. He's also cheap which this team needs, you don't get a better defenseman for his cap hit. Don't understand why he's hated on.
where someone's drafted is irrelevant 2ish years after they were drafted. go through every year's draft board. do we talk about Duncan Siemens, who was drafted 11th overall in the same draft? we still holding our breath that Sven Baerchi will turn in to a "legit" 1st rounder?

Morrow is what he is. don't ask him to be more, don't hope for much more. he's going to score you half a dozen goals during a season. he's going to be a body out there. not much more. he HAD upside and pedigree when he was drafted. so did Nick Kypreos, whose last 2 years in junior had a goal a game pace.

Morrow's best year was his last year in junior, where you expect him to jump up statwise. he had 17 goals in 62 games. his first pro year, he had 29 points in the AHL. with increased playing time and playing with Buff, i'd jump for joy if he got anywhere near 29 points.

Insthofen

Dec 2, 2016
Jets lost two of their first games last year, and I think they'll do the same now. They have rough last training sessions, and big guys take a few days to recover.

After that it all goes well. Although in this forum, Maurice & Chevy should be sacked and sell half of the team

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Someone will pick up an injury before long, so Niku should get his shot before long. The thing is, we are using a proven net negative LHD in Chiarot as a regular instead of trying out something that *could* work.

Myers should have been dealt when his stock was high. That is about the saddest thing regarding him in this context, though. Don't think he is going to hurt our roster in a 3rd pairing role. I guess Morrow is passable in the role he is in. Will have to wait and see. My prediction: this team will miss Enstrom an awful lot, despite people ****ting on him at every given opportunity.

If I was Poolman, every fiber of my body would hate the organisation. That is all for now.

If Helle can play like a top 15 goalie, that would be nice. Can't ask for much more than that.

Actually we can and should ask for more than that from Helle since he’s being paid as a top 5!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Jets lost to Vegas because their offense dried up (and MAF). 6 goals in the final 4 games wasn't going to win. Maurice switched Enstrom out because he needed more offense, not more defense.

We were in the final 4 and MAF goalied us. Shit happens in hockey.

Too bad the clock struck midnight for him and Vegas crashed and burned in the Finals. Jets Caps would have been a beauty.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
where someone's drafted is irrelevant 2ish years after they were drafted. go through every year's draft board. do we talk about Duncan Siemens, who was drafted 11th overall in the same draft? we still holding our breath that Sven Baerchi will turn in to a "legit" 1st rounder?

Morrow is what he is. don't ask him to be more, don't hope for much more. he's going to score you half a dozen goals during a season. he's going to be a body out there. not much more. he HAD upside and pedigree when he was drafted. so did Nick Kypreos, whose last 2 years in junior had a goal a game pace.

Morrow's best year was his last year in junior, where you expect him to jump up statwise. he had 17 goals in 62 games. his first pro year, he had 29 points in the AHL. with increased playing time and playing with Buff, i'd jump for joy if he got anywhere near 29 points.

Scouts saw upside and potential in him at the time, and he's never had a real shot at realising them. Kinda like Nathan Smith, who flourished with proper ice time. I think the same will happen with Morrow, he's looked really good for how little he's played and is just going to get better.

Reactions: GNP

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Scouts saw upside and potential in him at the time, and he's never had a real shot at realising them. Kinda like Nathan Smith, who flourished with proper ice time. I think the same will happen with Morrow, he's looked really good for how little he's played and is just going to get better.
define "really good".
it's like picking fruit at the grocery store. you don't try to produce something that will develop into something unpalatable. scouts err. players don't develop.

that's the John Ferguson mentality, where you justify trading for a player because they were once a 1st round pick. late round 1st round picks are really not huge impact players.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Chiarot was +15, that's 15 times he was on the ice for goals for, instead of goals against, excluding PK, which means he impacted roughly 1 in 5 games favourably. That's not projected goals that's real goals, and if you played hockey, you remember if you impact a game favourably or negatively. Maurice and Huddy want their defenseman stepping up on the blue line, to sustain offensive zone pressure. Chiarot is pretty good at closing the gap. Toby would try to stick check, which is less effective, because if you miss, and you are not a great skater you give up an odd man rush.

He's pretty good on the PK, which is a necessity, unless you think it is wise to play Buff 27 minutes a game. Simple things that matter.

Morrow's skating and physicality are an upgrade on Toby. That was shown in the playoffs. He's a good fit for the team.

Sorry you can't see that.
Chiarot has one of the worst gaps I've seen at the NHL level, Enstrom routinely one of the best. He is a superior skater to Chiarot and Morrow, as well as a better puck mover and shot suppressor.

Chiarot is not a good penalty killer, that doesn't mean I think Buff should play 27 minutes a game.

Morrow is a good fit for this team, just not as a number 4 D man.

I've played hockey my whole life, not sure what relevance that has.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Hated on? Your choice to personalize it. I just don't like him as a top 4 D, for good reason. Although at this point I'd prefer him to Chiarot but I understand Maurice not wanting a Myers-Chiarot pairing on the road.

Hopefully Kuli shakes off the rust and Niku progresses well with the Noose and gets a call up. Not loving our left side right now after JoMo.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Hated on? Your choice to personalize it. I just don't like him as a top 4 D, for good reason. Although at this point I'd prefer him to Chiarot but I understand Maurice not wanting a Myers-Chiarot pairing on the road.

Hopefully Kuli shakes off the rust and Niku progresses well with the Noose and gets a call up. Not loving our left side right now after JoMo.

Yeah it is pretty weak.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Enstrom was a very good skater and very smart defensively but the fast physical forwards were eating him alive and he was getting injured too much for my liking , plus he never shot the puck in the last couple of seasons . I love Charoit's physical game but he goes brain dead too much and has no business being in the top 4 , ever . I really hope Niku becomes that top 4 guy at some point this season .

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Their pizza guy from the mid 90's is now a vice president within the entire Canad Inn chain. Went from pizza dude to supervisor to club manager to GM to VP.
My buddy never became a vp.

Double checked and turns out he was with Euphoria in the transcona area. I do miss 90s night club names.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Really hard to believe that it will be the start of the eighth season for the Jets 2.0 who have slowly become the real Jets with none of this 2.0 BS!

I think of it as Jets 2.7. While there might be minor bug fixes over the course of the year, there are no major upgrades planned before Q4. If you experience frequent crashing, about all you can do is reboot your expectations. There is no rollback option. :)

Nov 24, 2006
There was really nothing that could be done. Guy needed to go back to Sweden and be with his family. I don't think there was any amount of money we could of thrown at him to make him stay.
My understanding is he never got an offer from an NHL team (or at least one he liked?) which is why he opted to return home.

Reactions: GNP

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
4th line Ehlers is both hilarious and infuriating. At least there could be a positive side to that one, though.

4th line Ehlers says as much about this team, if not more, than 3rd Line Jesus. Like, how awesome is the Jets' depth that Nik Ehlers is in the bottom 6?

I don't know if the Jets will find themselves battling for the President's Trophy in the final weeks of the season like last year, but this is a better team.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the 4th line is a quintessential 3rd scoring line, while line 3 is a defensive/shutdown line. I wouldn't get to caught up in the numbering.

Intrigued to see Maurice put Ehlers-Roslovic-Vesalainen on a line together. 3 relatively young players, with Rosie playing as a full time C for the first time and a rookie in Vesa.

Would rather see

Morrow-Buff, though.

Reactions: Ares
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad