Pre-Game Talk: Jets @ Blues | Thurs, Oct 4th, 7PM CT | TSN | Season Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
4th line Ehlers says as much about this team, if not more, than 3rd Line Jesus. Like, how awesome is the Jets' depth that Nik Ehlers is in the bottom 6?

I don't know if the Jets will find themselves battling for the President's Trophy in the final weeks of the season like last year, but this is a better team.
Most teams would be salivating over second line Ehlers.

This is absolutely a worse team than the 114-point team of last year. In part because the bar is simply so high, and because we have lost important players.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

This is absolutely a worse team than the 114-point team of last year. In part because the bar is simply so high, and because we have lost important players.

You could make an argument that young, key players taking leaps (Connor, Morrissey, Ehlers, Laine, Scheifele all could be better this year) mixed with the emergence of Roslovic, Vesalainen, and Niku, could potentially offset the losses of Armia, Enstrom, and the regression of older players from last year to this year. Also keep in mind that Stansty didn't start the year in Winnipeg, and the Jets could add a similar value player at the deadline again this year.

Reactions: Jake Barnes

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

Hendricks is gone so I agree. But seriously Stastny doesn't count cause he wasn't here most of the year so basically Hendricks armia and enstrom. All easily replaced.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hendricks is gone so I agree. But seriously Stastny doesn't count cause he wasn't here most of the year so basically Hendricks armia and enstrom. All easily replaced.

I think the Jets have downgraded somewhat from Armia and Enstrom, but upgraded substantially on Hendricks.

Also, we might expect further improvement in Connor, Morrissey, Laine, Ehlers, etc.

I don't expect 114 points again, but a solid playoff position and the potential for another deep playoff run seems feasible.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Anything less than 100 points will surprise me, this is a ridiculous group of forwards. Scheifele is going to have a monster year entering his prime as a hockey player. Good Hellebuyk = potentially great team.

Reactions: Tommigun and GNP

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You can ***** all you want. The facts still remain.

• I loved Enstrom but if you think he was the main factor of our impressive ability to keep the puck out of our net I do not know what to tell you. He played just over half of our games.
  • 3 top level guys and a bunch of replacement level? Really? You're calling Myers replacement level. Huh. The hate for this guy around here is sickening. Kulikov is also not 'replacement level'. Man we love to run with our terminology here.

A defense corps is often more than the sum of it's parts - I've seen it over and over. The 2006 Oilers team that was one game from winning the cup?
7Marc-Andre BergeroncaD255-9190L/-2October 13, 1980
23Cory CrosscaD356-5225L/-11January 3, 1971
2-32Matt GreeneusD226-3236R/-RMay 13, 1983
44Chris ProngercaD316-6220L/-11October 10, 1974
12Mathieu RoyusD226-1200R/-RAugust 10, 1983
5Alexei SemenovsuD246-6245L/-2April 10, 1981
6Dan SmithcaD296-2200L/-2October 19, 1976
21Jason Smith (C)caD326-3220R/-11November 2, 1973
6Jaroslav SpacekcsD316-0210L/-6February 11, 1974
24Steve StaioscaD326-1200R/-9July 28, 1973
28Danny SyvretcaD205-11203L/-RJune 13, 1985
23-33Dick TarnstromseD316-1205L/-3January 20, 1975
55Igor UlanovsuD366-3220L/-13October 1, 1969
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Look at that lineup. Outside of Chris Friggin Pronger and Jason Smith there is a lot of guys with strengths and weaknesses.

My God we've lost the plot, here. You aren't going to have a defense corps of 6 flawless guys and 3 more robots waiting in the wings.

Thinking that Poolman deserves better than PB after that abortion of a preseason is ridiculous. He's lucky he wasn't sent down before it was done.

When we had Kuli - Myers as our 3rd pair we had a very good D corps. Is there another 3rd pair in the league that good?

I have my issues with both of those players and prefer them as our 3rd pair. But they are certainly not replacement level players.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm also of the belief that he could be a huge missing piece this year. Big mistake not signing him onto a cheap one year contract to bridge the gap until we get some of these other guys up to speed

No way to know of course but ....
I think Toby had his mind made up to go home to Sweden some time back. He waited around for a while on the off chance that some team would offer him a big $$$ contract, 1 year or not. He will be getting a fair bit of money to play in Sweden plus the attraction of being at home.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

Worse team because the bar is high? I don't understand that. They may not duplicate last year's results in the standings, but that doesn't mean they're a worse team. Also, I think you're placing far too much importance on Armia, Mason, Hendricks and yes, even Enstrom. If you think those guys are a big loss you had better brace yourself going forward because I highly doubt we'll be able to keep all our young stars either. Eventually, team chemistry, the cap and ice-time and/or usage will force a personnel change that won't be comfortable for any of us. It's business, and a testament actually, to the Jets' draft and develop approach.

Reactions: GNP and KingBogo

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
trouba will never be the # 1 rd defenceman here as long as buff is on team. Maurice explains his pairings in latest interview and basically says don't read anything into them.

Yeah, no.
Buff may still be on the team after he has declined significantly. When that happens he won't still be getting the most minutes.

Buff is #1 now, but that can change.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I had the feeling he would have stayed at a number he wanted, but you may be right that no reasonable amount would have convinced him. Either way he wasn't signing anywhere in the NHL on a bargain basement contract.

The bolded.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree. I can definitely see a couple of things distracting him this year.

Connor+Hellebuyck+2018+NHL+Awards+Arrivals+JdZYTiRW7Xrl.jpg

I wonder if they are the same 2 I'm looking at? Nah, probably not. :laugh:

BTW, who's that with him? His sister?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I agree. I can definitely see a couple of things distracting him this year.

Connor+Hellebuyck+2018+NHL+Awards+Arrivals+JdZYTiRW7Xrl.jpg

Ha I've been seeing them in the dog park a lot recently and we always have to make idle chit chat because our dogs always play together, it's strange seeing her dolled up since I've only ever seen her in sweats and a sweater or coat :laugh:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Ok with a lineup like this a coach should not be able to mess this up right?

Now this is a test for Paul Maurice if he can jump the hurdle and get this team to win a cup.

On most part he was pushing the right buttons last year.

Now the stakes are higher.

Go Jets Go.

If you have the 2nd best goal scorer in the league on your 2nd line.

One of the top producing left wing on your 3rd line.

One of the best dman on your 2nd pair

And the BEST 4th line center in the league.

And a 3rd pairing of Kulikov and Myers.

Yes coach :) pressure on you .

Go Jets Go

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Ha I've been seeing them in the dog park a lot recently and we always have to make idle chit chat because our dogs always play together, it's strange seeing her dolled up since I've only ever seen her in sweats and a sweater or coat :laugh:

Man, put that dog to work! Let's have some inside access -- Helle's prep, where his game's at, his opinions on Brossoit, what he really thinks of ELL, is MP85's beard real, the status of Pate's gaming hours/24, etc. etc. Be the source!

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Man, put that dog to work! Let's have some inside access -- Helle's prep, where his game's at, his opinions on Brossoit, what he really thinks of ELL, is MP85's beard real, the status of Pate's gaming hours/24, etc. etc. Be the source!

I haven't even revealed that I know who he is :laugh: though I think he knows and probably appreciates me not bombarding him with hockey questions. We mostly just chat about our dogs, his dog is beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad