Pre-Game Talk: Jets @ Blues | Thurs, Oct 4th, 7PM CT | TSN | Season Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Chiarot in the top 4 to start the year........:eek:. My expectations are diminished. Hopefully Kuli gets it together soon so they can at least throw Morrow up there with Buff. Not like that thrills me though. That left side D has been the elephant in the room all summer and through camp.

Perreault and Little were really effective together for a good stretch last season. Matty P can drive that line.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Chiarot in the top 4 to start the year........:eek:. My expectations are diminished. Hopefully Kuli gets it together soon so they can at least throw Morrow up there with Buff. Not like that thrills me though. That left side D has been the elephant in the room all summer and through camp.

Perreault and Little were really effective together for a good stretch last season. Matty P can drive that line.
Perreault Little Ehlers I liked last year, then go Roslo with Laine.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Crazy we still have cuts to make. Can make a case for a lot of the F's, when usually we're pulling out our hair looking at the fourth line.

That left side after Mo though :eek:.

Here's hoping Stanley and Samberg have big years.

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
Man that 4th line would have to be pretty much the best 4th line in hockey.The same goes if you swap 3 and 4.Its going to be tricky keeping all the campers happy with their ice time this year.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
4th line Ehlers is both hilarious and infuriating. At least there could be a positive side to that one, though.

PB Poolman, AHL Niku, 3rd pairing Myers and Morrow and, the most importantly, 2nd pairing Chiarot are all sad beyond belief.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
4th line Ehlers is both hilarious and infuriating. At least there could be a positive side to that one, though.

PB Poolman, AHL Niku, 3rd pairing Myers and Morrow and, the most importantly, 2nd pairing Chiarot are all sad beyond belief.
Game over man. Game over.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I am not waisting too much bandwidth on how it looks on paper yet. I am use to not having my preferred line up. Last year I was really pissed when Connor got sent down but injuries happened and he got his shot. Line ups are dynamic and will be in constant flux as injuries occur this season too.

For me it all comes down to Helly’s health and performance......our playoff possibilities and seeding will go as he goes.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
First of all:

WHY IN THE HELL DID THEY MAKE THE FIRST GAME A WEEK LATER!? ASSHOLES!

As for people grousing over our D: We had the FIFTH lowest GA in the LEAGUE last year! Yes, Helle has a good part to do with that, but as we've seen with goalies who do well some places and then struggle others, defense matters.

This is the defense that got us impressively close to both the Presidents Trophy and the Stanley Cup.

Chiarot and Myers are not as bad as people around here like to make them out to be. They aren't the BEST in their roles in the NHL, they aren't the most ECONOMICAL, but - we have proven results with them, so bitching about them is silly.

• Kulikov took some pretty good smacks in preseason and it looks like his back is holding up. I am crossing my fingers that this stays true all year - same for 'Iron Man Myers' :)
  • I think another healthy year from Condor might allow him to improve even more. He is still prone to some paralysis by analysis in his zone and I think with confidence comes better, faster reads and belief in himself to trust his instincts.
  • Kulikov reminds me of Ulanov (not Jets free pizza Ulanov, Oilers SCF Ulanov). Real solid all round defenseman with a little bit of a mean streak but the occasional brain fart.

Overall, our D is not super sexy but it's really solid and for the first time we have a bit of depth.

My one concern is our backup. I am feeling very encouraged by the Bro's preseason, but I do not want a situation where Hellebuyck is playing 70 games and getting worn out again. I think that hurt him in the later rounds last season.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I am not waisting too much bandwidth on how it looks on paper yet. I am use to not having my preferred line up. Last year I was really pissed when Connor got sent down but injuries happened and he got his shot. Line ups are dynamic and will be in constant flux as injuries occur this season too.

For me it all comes down to Helly’s health and performance......our playoff possibilities and seeding will go as he goes.
Someone will pick up an injury before long, so Niku should get his shot before long. The thing is, we are using a proven net negative LHD in Chiarot as a regular instead of trying out something that *could* work.

Myers should have been dealt when his stock was high. That is about the saddest thing regarding him in this context, though. Don't think he is going to hurt our roster in a 3rd pairing role. I guess Morrow is passable in the role he is in. Will have to wait and see. My prediction: this team will miss Enstrom an awful lot, despite people shitting on him at every given opportunity.

If I was Poolman, every fiber of my body would hate the organisation. That is all for now.

If Helle can play like a top 15 goalie, that would be nice. Can't ask for much more than that.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
First of all:

WHY IN THE HELL DID THEY MAKE THE FIRST GAME A WEEK LATER!? *******S!

As for people grousing over our D: We had the FIFTH lowest GA in the LEAGUE last year! Yes, Helle has a good part to do with that, but as we've seen with goalies who do well some places and then struggle others, defense matters.

This is the defense that got us impressively close to both the Presidents Trophy and the Stanley Cup.

Chiarot and Myers are not as bad as people around here like to make them out to be. They aren't the BEST in their roles in the NHL, they aren't the most ECONOMICAL, but - we have proven results with them, so *****ing about them is silly.

• Kulikov took some pretty good smacks in preseason and it looks like his back is holding up. I am crossing my fingers that this stays true all year - same for 'Iron Man Myers' :)
  • I think another healthy year from Condor might allow him to improve even more. He is still prone to some paralysis by analysis in his zone and I think with confidence comes better, faster reads and belief in himself to trust his instincts.
  • Kulikov reminds me of Ulanov (not Jets free pizza Ulanov, Oilers SCF Ulanov). Real solid all round defenseman with a little bit of a mean streak but the occasional brain fart.

Overall, our D is not super sexy but it's really solid and for the first time we have a bit of depth.

My one concern is our backup. I am feeling very encouraged by the Bro's preseason, but I do not want a situation where Hellebuyck is playing 70 games and getting worn out again. I think that hurt him in the later rounds last season.
Having three top pairing guys and a plethora of replacement level guys is what you call depth? Right.

Granted that two of those remaining guys (Niku and Poolman) could very well be more than that, but I don't think they'll get that many shots at proving themselves this season.

Also, lol @ downplaying Enstrom's impact.

Reactions: razorsedge

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Someone will pick up an injury before long, so Niku should get his shot before long. The thing is, we are using a proven net negative LHD in Chiarot as a regular instead of trying out something that *could* work.

Myers should have been dealt when his stock was high. That is about the saddest thing regarding him in this context, though. Don't think he is going to hurt our roster in a 3rd pairing role. I guess Morrow is passable in the role he is in. Will have to wait and see. My prediction: this team will miss Enstrom an awful lot, despite people ****ting on him at every given opportunity.

If I was Poolman, every fiber of my body would hate the organisation. That is all for now.

If Helle can play like a top 15 goalie, that would be nice. Can't ask for much more than that.

I actually want Myers here this year just to form part of the 8-9 D men we may need to win a cup. I don’t want him here next season though so he becomes our JVR type rental.

When it comes to Niku I think one needs to look no further than Chiarot’s history as far as usage goes. Ben has not usually started the season in our top 6 but his last four seasons he has played 40, 79, 59, and 57 games respectively. D cores tend to get shit kicked and the 7-8-9 guys always get their games. My guess is Niku gets 30-50 games this season due to attrition alone. Same thing goes for a Poolman he will eat up close to 100% of the RHD man games lost. By next season Tucker should step in to the starting 6 if he earns it.

I know I will really miss Toby but sadly most Jets fans won’t. Either way one door closes and “hopefully” the Niku door opens as the season grinds along.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
hockeytime.jpg

We have to wait a freakin week?!?

Reactions: SUX2BU and DRC

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Having three top pairing guys and a plethora of replacement level guys is what you call depth? Right.

Granted that two of those remaining guys (Niku and Poolman) could very well be more than that, but I don't think they'll get that many shots at proving themselves this season.

Also, lol @ downplaying Enstrom's impact.

I'd call it depth for sure. If Chiarot doesn't work out with Buff (which has worked well in the past), then there's Morrow (who's worked well), then Kulikov, Niku, maybe Myers, then possibly Poolman or Stanley. That's 6 guys who could slot in on the 2nd pairing with Buff and probably do well

Reactions: LowLefty and ps241

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
First of all:

WHY IN THE HELL DID THEY MAKE THE FIRST GAME A WEEK LATER!? *******S!

Chiarot and Myers are not as bad as people around here like to make them out to be. They aren't the BEST in their roles in the NHL, they aren't the most ECONOMICAL, but - we have proven results with them, so *****ing about them is silly.

Did I ever tell you my Ulanov Jets story?

I was a young lad and frequented Scandals night club back in the day. Well anyway one night me and my buddy were sitting at one of those long oval shaped tables and this guy taps me on the shoulder and asks if he and his buds can sit at the table. I look over and say "sure" well it turns out its Darrin Shannon,Keith Tkachuk,Stu Barnes and Igor Ulanov. Great night, lots of girls around us. But the thing I remember is I was eating a slice of pizza that they used to make at the bars all the time. Ulanov is looking at me and points to the pizza and says "where". So I take him over to the pizza spot and he gets a slice and in about 10 seconds he inhales it. He turns to the pizza guy and orders 2 large pizzas. I thought he was buying it for the table so we return back with them and he plops down at the end and proceeds to eat both of them himself! He then gets up goes back and orders 2 more and eats them!. I was like holy shit what a machine! He probably had about 20 beers too! Good old Ulanov!

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Did I ever tell you my Ulanov Jets story?

I was a young lad and frequented Scandals night club back in the day. Well anyway one night me and my buddy were sitting at one of those long oval shaped tables and this guy taps me on the shoulder and asks if he and his buds can sit at the table. I look over and say "sure" well it turns out its Darrin Shannon,Keith Tkachuk,Stu Barnes and Igor Ulanov. Great night, lots of girls around us. But the thing I remember is I was eating a slice of pizza that they used to make at the bars all the time. Ulanov is looking at me and points to the pizza and says "where". So I take him over to the pizza spot and he gets a slice and in about 10 seconds he inhales it. He turns to the pizza guy and orders 2 large pizzas. I thought he was buying it for the table so we return back with them and he plops down at the end and proceeds to eat both of them himself! He then gets up goes back and orders 2 more and eats them!. I was like holy **** what a machine! He probably had about 20 beers too! Good old Ulanov!

You probably didn't notice his trips to the vomitorium. :laugh:

Reactions: Jet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad