Pre-Game Talk: Jets @ Blues | Thurs, Oct 4th, 7PM CT | TSN | Season Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm also of the belief that he could be a huge missing piece this year. Big mistake not signing him onto a cheap one year contract to bridge the gap until we get some of these other guys up to speed
Who says Enstrom was willing to sign a "cheap" 1 year contact? My guess is coming off a contract with a $5.75 M AAV he had a number in mind that he was willing to sign for. Likely it was less that $5.75 but also very likely it was well north of NHL minimum range. Any number of teams would of signed Toby if he just wanted to stick in the NHL at a bargain basement price. If no one wanted to pay what he wanted to stay in the NHL much nicer to return home to family and still play the game for a living.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm also of the belief that he could be a huge missing piece this year. Big mistake not signing him onto a cheap one year contract to bridge the gap until we get some of these other guys up to speed

There was really nothing that could be done. Guy needed to go back to Sweden and be with his family. I don't think there was any amount of money we could of thrown at him to make him stay.

Reactions: The Big M

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
There was really nothing that could be done. Guy needed to go back to Sweden and be with his family. I don't think there was any amount of money we could of thrown at him to make him stay.
I had the feeling he would have stayed at a number he wanted, but you may be right that no reasonable amount would have convinced him. Either way he wasn't signing anywhere in the NHL on a bargain basement contract.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I had the feeling he would have stayed at a number he wanted, but you may be right that no reasonable amount would have convinced him. Either way he wasn't signing anywhere in the NHL on a bargain basement contract.

Nope not a chance. He needed to be back home with his new wife. And I don't blame him for that.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Personally, I think Morrow is better than Enstrom right now, and he comes with a very affordable price tag compared to what Enstrom would have wanted.

Morrow is way better offensively, is a lot more durable than Enstrom, and I think the Jets made the right call here. Time to move on from the fragile Enstrom, as he'd be injured for half the season.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Enstrom is history.
Turn the page my friends and let’s see what we have before we lament the good old days.
Personally I’m more concerned about the goalies than anything else right now.
Can’t wait for the season to get under way

I feel the same thing as Eyeseeing here, and moreso if Hellebuyck can produce the same or close to type of season he did last year. I'm a little concerned that his big contract money, and the new lifestyle that comes with it, may distract him a lot, and lose focus. If he plays similar to last year, we'll be a contender for the Cup. You "must" have great goaltending to make a deep playoff push in today's NHL.

I guess I feel a lot better with Brossoit as a backup in the event Helle has a bad year. I believe this guy is very good, and will surprise a lot of people. It's nice to know you have a good backup, should your # 1 guy get's injured, or has a bad year.

We have a very solid team, from the forwards, to defense-"will the goaltending be there" ???

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'd take him over Chiarot and Morrow right now, but then again, I'm sane.

Scratching him really helped too. Great point.

That's not sane. You get better production from Morrow, and more physicality. You have a better PK option in Chiarot, and a physical defenseman that steps up, which is Maurice/Huddy's speciality. Chiarot was a +/- beast last year.

I am so glad Enstrom is gone. His style didn't fit our aggressive system. His skating was exposed. I like that Morrow/Myers 3rd pairing, did some good things against the Devils, and that was as a top 4 pairing. As a 3rd pairing could win some games. The Blues strength is their RD. Our strength is RD and RW. I hope we are ready for a physical game. Get that PP fine tuned.

Reactions: Tommigun and GNP

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
That's not sane. You get better production from Morrow, and more physicality. You have a better PK option in Chiarot, and a physical defenseman that steps up, which is Maurice/Huddy's speciality. Chiarot was a +/- beast last year.

I am so glad Enstrom is gone. His style didn't fit our aggressive system. His skating was exposed. I like that Morrow/Myers 3rd pairing, did some good things against the Devils, and that was as a top 4 pairing. As a 3rd pairing could win some games. The Blues strength is their RD. Our strength is RD and RW. I hope we are ready for a physical game. Get that PP fine tuned.
First of all: Plus/minus? How, dare I say it? I won't.
Second: Is the bolded... humour? I still haven't mastered it, but I might be catching on. ;)

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
First of all: Plus/minus? How, dare I say it? I won't.
Second: Is the bolded... humour? I still haven't mastered it, but I might be catching on. ;)

If Enstrom had been scratched earlier in the playoffs we'd have played in the Stanley Cup. That must be eating Maurice if not our fans. No laughing matter. Say what you want being on the positive side for scoring is good.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I feel the same thing as Eyeseeing here, and moreso if Hellebuyck can produce the same or close to type of season he did last year. I'm a little concerned that his big contract money, and the new lifestyle that comes with it, may distract him a lot, and lose focus.

I agree. I can definitely see a couple of things distracting him this year.

Connor+Hellebuyck+2018+NHL+Awards+Arrivals+JdZYTiRW7Xrl.jpg

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Speaking of jets and the Russians and the blues

I was sitting behind the net at the North end of the old arena. Jets were I believe playing the blues early in the season.

Davydov gets the puck in front of our net no one around so he starts skating out of zone but flips the puck up and bats in the air three times before he hits the red line.

You could see St. Louis was pissed and were after him the rest of the game. Was funny as heck.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

This is not sane, neither Morrow or Chiarot are a better option than a healthy Enstrom, even at this stage. ×/-? , Chiarot on the PK? Enstrom skating exposed? A defenseman that steps up being Maurice/Huddy's specialty?

Wtf?

Sorry, disagree with everything.

Anyway, Enstrom is gone. It's not that I wish him back, I just prefer his skill over the other two, who are by no measure top 4 D men on a Stanley Cup contender.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This is not sane, neither Morrow or Chiarot are a better option than a healthy Enstrom, even at this stage. ×/-? , Chiarot on the PK? Enstrom skating exposed? A defenseman that steps up being Maurice/Huddy's specialty?

Wtf?

Sorry, disagree with everything.

Anyway, Enstrom is gone. It's not that I wish him back, I just prefer his skill over the other two, who are by no measure top 4 D men on a Stanley Cup contender.

Chiarot was +15, that's 15 times he was on the ice for goals for, instead of goals against, excluding PK, which means he impacted roughly 1 in 5 games favourably. That's not projected goals that's real goals, and if you played hockey, you remember if you impact a game favourably or negatively. Maurice and Huddy want their defenseman stepping up on the blue line, to sustain offensive zone pressure. Chiarot is pretty good at closing the gap. Toby would try to stick check, which is less effective, because if you miss, and you are not a great skater you give up an odd man rush.

He's pretty good on the PK, which is a necessity, unless you think it is wise to play Buff 27 minutes a game. Simple things that matter.

Morrow's skating and physicality are an upgrade on Toby. That was shown in the playoffs. He's a good fit for the team.

Sorry you can't see that.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Ulanov used to date a woman i worked with (Karen was her name, i think. I wonder if @Arthur Fonzarelli knows her. think she'd sometimes work the door at Norma Jeans. worked at a bank teller).
but anyone who would eat those Scandals pizzas is likely a lunatic. i don't recall seeing anyone actually eat them. i always thought they were decorative.

During the very early 90's my regular gigs were Monty's, Mirrors & Strawberries but the Dj industry was a monopoly back then with one company providing the DJ's everywhere so DJ's routinely rotated thru 100+ clubs. I likely took less than a dozen shifts over two years at Norma Jeans. Their regular back then was Evan Primus (89-91) after which they closed and went thru a half dozen name changes over th next decade. Lot 115, Riverside Roxy, The Library and more all occupied that space, but during that time I was at Mondetta, U4'ia & Boogie Nights.

Reactions: Aggie204
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Buddy used to make scandals pizza. He pocketed hundreds a night as accounting of pizza was nonexistent. 1 for scandals, five for him type of thing. I think he was fired after a few weeks. Scandalous!

Their pizza guy from the mid 90's is now a vice president within the entire Canad Inn chain. Went from pizza dude to supervisor to club manager to GM to VP.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

Well his agent said they were looking for a big NHL contract so I do believe he wanted to stay in the show. I'll try to find the interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad