Post-Game Talk: Jets 5-Devils-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Boqvist will probably play today against Buffalo.

Yeah, but I don't think we are gonna like who is scratched for him.

Not just a feeling, it's an accurate assessment.

Jesper was tremendous and somehow that earned having his line switched up and extra bench time. That said, the fact that Simmonds played a lot didn't bother me. He looked fine. It was ******* Hayden. Coaches obsession with scrubs is something I'll never understand. Hayden looked fine on the 4th line. I just can't get over the grenade Hynes threw into everything that was working last night. It makes you wonder if he had money on the Jets or something.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Jesper was tremendous and somehow that earned having his line switched up and extra bench time. That said, the fact that Simmonds played a lot didn't bother me. He looked fine. It was ******* Hayden. Coaches obsession with scrubs is something I'll never understand. Hayden looked fine on the 4th line. I just can't get over the grenade Hynes threw into everything that was working last night. It makes you wonder if he had money on the Jets or something.
Hynes jumbled the lines and put Hayden with Hughes/Gusev for "stability", then only played them together for 1:22 in which time they were scored against twice, then never played Hughes or Hayden again for the rest of the third period, then after the game tried to say how great of a decision that was. :facepalm:

Reactions: glenwo2

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Hynes jumbled the lines and put Hayden with Hughes/Gusev for "stability", then only played them together for 1:22 in which time they were scored against twice, then never played Hughes or Hayden again for the rest of the third period, then after the game tried to say how great of a decision that was. :facepalm:

LOL that kind of word salad reminds me of the bufoon in the Mets' dugout the last two seasons. To think I thought Hynes was the best coach of my teams by a significant margin (mostly on default), not anymore. He's in the same pool with Gase and the deposed Callaway now.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
LOL that kind of word salad reminds me of the bufoon in the Mets' dugout the last two seasons. To think I thought Hynes was the best coach of my teams by a significant margin (mostly on default), not anymore. He's in the same pool with Gase and the deposed Callaway now.
Tough building.

Reactions: tr83

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Are people actually blaming Jack? Haven't had time to read the entire thread.

I saw Zacha promoted at some stage in the second, which I thought he deserved for a moment. After that it seemed like there was no rhyme or reason other than the top line.

My buddies and I couldn't figure out for the life of us why Jack or goose barely touched the ice in the final 5 minutes. Was that live bias?

Jack was pretty terrible. Made some amateur gaffes moving the puck. And he shouldn't be on the ice defending a lead against a team of linebackers.

Reactions: Maine Fan

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
John Hynes making adjustments

tenor.gif

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is nonsense. Hayden is not some proven vet with defensive prowess that could be used to justify putting him on the second line to protect a lead or something. You think Hayden being added to that line adds enough defensively to offset the offense and puck possession that will probably be lost as a result? Not to mention that it requires at least one other line to be altered in a game where the team is playing well and leading by a significant amount.

It wasn't necessary, and you can't justify it. Amateur coach makes dumbass amateur decisions...add it to the list that has grown over the years.

Do you really believe deep down this guy can lead a team to a Stanley Cup? Be honest.

And if you are going to change something before it breaks and go into a shell, then bump Hughes down for Zacha instead, problem solved - you have an actual good defender with a big body on the line with Gusev and Bratt to play protect. I think they got too carried away with the idea of wanting Hughes to do something in his debut, among other things.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Ok I'm hungover as f*** and had a great time last night despite what was an awful outcome. There were A LOT of things to like about that game. I watched it at a pub which was filled with Jets fans and despite the epic collapse the people had nothing but positive things to say about the Devils. NJ was the better team pretty much all night.

I need to start by saying I nearly shed a tear for Cory. That poor son of a bitch was having a nice game and then he gets hurt. I hope and pray it's not too serious but I'm expecting him to be out for awhile. It's Mackenzie's team for now but that was a brutal situation to be put into. He was obviously cold going in.

I LOVED the bottom 6. Coleman-Zajac-Simmonds did a great job against the Scheifele line. That's as quiet as I've seen their top line in quite some time. Props to Greene and Subban who played extremely well together. Back to Coleman, everyone I talked to was super impressed with him. He's a stud. Also, Simmonds was awesome in his role.

I hate pining on the guy because he takes a lot of flack here but Severson was horrendous. His awareness in the defensive zone was poor all night. I hope it was just an off night for him because that was hideous. Also, Mueller needs a priest when it comes to the breakout.

I must also add that Wood was fantastic but you just know he is kicking himself for not finishing on the 3 prime scoring chances he had. He will continue to be a terror in the bottom 6. Great player to have. Zacha also looked great.

I thought Jesper Bratt was an absolute marvel with the puck on his stick. My friends were asking who the hell he was because it seemed like every time he had the puck something good was happening. I am concerned about the line defensively as they were hemmed in a lot unfortunately.

In the end, I'm not as upset as I'd typically be after blowing a 4-0 lead. I thought they played well all night and did a number on the Jets top 6 which is no easy feat. If Cory stays in, they win that game. There are lots of positives to draw from and I'm confident they can bounce back in Buffalo.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Can someone tell me what the obsession with John Hayden is?
I honestly think Shero wants this guy to play a few games to see what he has, he traded for him for a reason, and maybe he's trying to justify getting him somehow. EVERY season we have a player on this team that we all wonder "WHAT IS HE DOING PLAYING ON THIS TEAM, HE SUCKS" Every friggen season.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Is there a more frustrating feeling as a sports fan than when you have a team with talented players but the sum of that talent is being squandered by second rate coaching?

crashline

What smells like, brother?
Feb 10, 2018
Hayden was on the ice for 3 of the Jets' 4 regular-time goals.

If that's "stability" somebody might like to point Hynes in the direction of a dictionary.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
He's a right-handed shot. He'll help with the breakout. He'll presumably be better on the boards. But really more importantly is that it's Game 1 of an 82 game season. Hynes was mixing up the lines before the Devils even scored their 1st goal.

If you don't think coaches change lines in games they're winning, well I guess you just forget Jacques Lemaire's entire career.
When John f***ing Hynes starts getting the kind of results Jacque did then you can compare them. Until then, it’s absurd to even bring it up. I’m incredibly confident that JAG Hynes will never have the kind of success that could possibly justify his head scratching asinine decisions.

Yes. Pretty much any coach who manages to get an NHL job can win a Stanley Cup. Most coaches never will and many will never come close, almost regardless of their ability, so I find it a silly question.

So just because a GM hides a coach that automatically means that person has the ability to win a Stanley cup? Bad hiring decisions are made all the time. That’s like saying any player who makes the NHL can score 50 goals. Yeah technically that’s a possibility with anyone but the reality is you know based on past performance and other indicators what the real likelihood is

John Hynes is like the random NHL fringe player of coaches.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I mean, the real problem was that multiple players didn't chip it out when they could have. There is no other answer as to why we lost. And it's the same as last year. What's more likely, the tactics are stupid or the majority of the roster is stupid?

Severson and Hughes deserve criticism for being horrific with and without the puck (Mueller also was terrible with the puck on his stick), but focusing on Hayden or anyone else is pretty silly.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
When John ****ing Hynes starts getting the kind of results Jacque did then you can compare them. Until then, it’s absurd to even bring it up. I’m incredibly confident that JAG Hynes will never have the kind of success that could possibly justify his head scratching asinine decisions.

When Hynes has a roster like the 93-94 Devils, we can compare them as well. Lemaire used Hall of Fame-level defensemen as forwards and one of his last decisions as an NHL coach in the playoffs was to put Colin White in front of the net on the power play. He was a brilliant strategist and sometimes a horrible tactician.

So just because a GM hides a coach that automatically means that person has the ability to win a Stanley cup? Bad hiring decisions are made all the time. That’s like saying any player who makes the NHL can score 50 goals. Yeah technically that’s a possibility with anyone but the reality is you know based on past performance and other indicators what the real likelihood is

John Hynes is like the random NHL fringe player of coaches.

No, that's a bad comparison - almost every player who plays in the NHL has no chance of ever scoring 50 goals in a season. But a coach with a talented enough team can win a Stanley Cup without being a great coach - they have before and they will again. The problem is that if you evaluate things on the basis of 'Stanley Cup = good coach', you have no way of separating the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad