Post-Game Talk: Jets 5-Devils-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
We really need a coach to compete this year.

Can’t do another 82 with hynes. No matter how hard I try I cannot begin to process why he changed everything up when we were dominating the game

Just don’t understand

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Because it's the only game that's counted so far this year and people don't realize just how bad a spot he got put into. It's one thing to replace a goalie who wasn't doing well, the backup can usually see which way the game is going and start to mentally prepare to go in, plus there's little pressure coming in when you're trailing anyway. When your lead's just got melted from 4 to 2 and you're thrown into that high pressure situation cold? And in your first real game of the season no less? Different story.

It was a really tough spot. 100% we don’t lose this game if Cory’s hip doesn’t explode.

Blackwood was not at all settled in and it’s obvious why. They needed to be tighter defensively because it was clear he was fighting it.

Goal 3 was not a good one though. We needed a save there.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Putting a player like Hayden up on the 2nd line when that line already scored a goal and you're winning the game 4-1 would be worthy of immediately dismissing the coach all by itself. It's completely nonsensical and there is no explanation that could possibly justify it.

The guy is a ****ing hack.

God, I would love to see some of you people go back and analyze some of the moves your favorite coaches made. Your heads would explode.

Gusev-Hughes-Bratt is not going to be a good line defensively. You've got two guys playing on their off-wing and an 18 year old. The plan was almost certainly to switch these lines late in games. Sometimes plans don't work out.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

They clear the puck once or twice and they win.

That or score because they absolutely had long offensive shifts that didn’t result in a goal. Hall’s line in particular. He or Palms needed to find goal 5 to kills the Jets momentum

Puck hopped over Nicos stick with an empty net, Wood hit the crossbar. Easily could have been a win. They weren’t outplayed at all, the mental mistakes can be fixed.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Puck hopped over Nicos stick with an empty net, Wood hit the crossbar. Easily could have been a win. They weren’t outplayed at all, the mental mistakes can be fixed.

I mean this will always happen. What can't hapoen is blow a 4-0 lead

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The worst thing to do would be to make massive panic moves and major line shuffling.

They have things that need cleaning up but they played well for large portions of this game against a real team.

They shouldn’t have their starter’s hip exploding 5 minutes into the third every night either.

This team looked dynamic offensively. Hall’s game is still clearly rusty, but I see no reason why they can’t go wipe this one away and win tomorrow.

Reactions: My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Its not every day your starting goalie gets hurt. **** happens, this wasnt a bad performance outside of Severson. Move on to Buffalo.

It was a perfect storm of bad luck and bad play.

How they respond will say a lot. If they come out tomorrow like they started tonight and win then tonight should be forgotten.

Camille the Eel

Look this a sort of extension of preseason in that it’s a fairly new to each other team for a lot of key parts and the first real game we’ve played together. It’s going to take a bit to see what we’ve got here.

That said, the good news is that for the first time in years we were able to skate with the Jets and did not look outclassed. We had so many chances and should have scored a couple more. We had talent to equal theirs out there. When has that been true lately?

The big question of course is Cory at this point.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
God, I would love to see some of you people go back and analyze some of the moves your favorite coaches made. Your heads would explode.

Gusev-Hughes-Bratt is not going to be a good line defensively. You've got two guys playing on their off-wing and an 18 year old. The plan was almost certainly to switch these lines late in games. Sometimes plans don't work out.

The solution is not to have a fourth-liner who isn't that good defensively either piggybacking with them. I'd rather have a bad defensive line try to score another goal than fubar the lines to play prevent defense.

Reactions: glenwo2

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
I watched the game and I thought we played well. Momentum swung in Jets favor as soon as snowflake Schneider got injured.. again.
Hynes is just not very good at in-game adjustments imo. He has this boring emotionless demeanor that just does not resonate positively with the players. We need a fiery coach with a sense of urgency like Tortorella. There is too much talent in this team to see it managed by fringe AHL level coach like Hynes. We are not winning a cup with this guy behind the bench.

Reactions: MilwaukeeDevil

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It was a really tough spot. 100% we don’t lose this game if Cory’s hip doesn’t explode.

Blackwood was not at all settled in and it’s obvious why. They needed to be tighter defensively because it was clear he was fighting it.

Goal 3 was not a good one though. We needed a save there.
I actually thought the third goal on Blackwood was one that was stoppable, at least that was my first thought. I need to watch it again one more time. Out of all 4 goals that were scored tonight, that was the only one I'd count as stoppable. The rebound on goal 2 wasn't a good one, but Severson should have been more alert and he could have cleared that.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I actually thought the third goal on Blackwood was one that was stoppable, at least that was my first thought. I need to watch it again one more time. Out of all 4 goals that were scored tonight, that was the only one I'd count as stoppable. The rebound on goal 2 wasn't a good one, but Severson should have been more alert and he could have cleared that.

We are talking about the same goal. It was the Jet’s third goal. First one on Blackwood.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The solution is not to have a fourth-liner who isn't that good defensively either piggybacking with them. I'd rather have a bad defensive line try to score another goal than fubar the lines to play prevent defense.

I'm sure you would be saying the exact same thing had that line been scored on. 'Why is Hughes out there this late and not Zacha?'

Hayden being a right-handed shot should be helpful with the breakout.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

This is nonsense. Hayden is not some proven vet with defensive prowess that could be used to justify putting him on the second line to protect a lead or something. You think Hayden being added to that line adds enough defensively to offset the offense and puck possession that will probably be lost as a result? Not to mention that it requires at least one other line to be altered in a game where the team is playing well and leading by a significant amount.

It wasn't necessary, and you can't justify it. Amateur coach makes dumbass amateur decisions...add it to the list that has grown over the years.

Do you really believe deep down this guy can lead a team to a Stanley Cup? Be honest.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
This is nonsense. Hayden is not some proven vet with defensive prowess that could be used to justify putting him on the second line to protect a lead or something. You think Hayden being added to that line adds enough defensively to offset the offense and puck possession that will probably be lost as a result? Not to mention that it requires at least one other line to be altered in a game where the team is playing well and leading by a significant amount.

He's a right-handed shot. He'll help with the breakout. He'll presumably be better on the boards. But really more importantly is that it's Game 1 of an 82 game season. Hynes was mixing up the lines before the Devils even scored their 1st goal.

If you don't think coaches change lines in games they're winning, well I guess you just forget Jacques Lemaire's entire career.

It wasn't necessary, and you can't justify it. Amateur coach makes dumbass amateur decisions...add it to the list that has grown over the years.

A lot of what coaches do is not necessary. It only becomes necessary when that coach wins games, and then it's evidence that the coach knows what he's doing.

Do you really believe deep down this guy can lead a team to a Stanley Cup? Be honest.

Yes. Pretty much any coach who manages to get an NHL job can win a Stanley Cup. Most coaches never will and many will never come close, almost regardless of their ability, so I find it a silly question.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I do think we probably win in regulation if Cory doesn't get hurt. And that's not to say Blackwood was bad, but being put into a tough situation like that didn't help him or the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad