Post-Game Talk: Jets 5-Devils-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He will be fine. The Jets have a tremendous group of forwards. One of the best groups on the league.
That's pushing it a bit, the bigger challenge for Hughes is that they only have 3 forwards under 6', and their best guys are 6'4" and 6'5". The Jets are a massive team that can skate well, it's a hell of a challenge for an 18 year old rookie. Hischier and Bratt really struggled against them 2 years ago as well.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
That was a brutal loss to witness live. Especially after all of the fanfare, the crowd energy, the big lead... that loss was like someone taking me by the shoulders and kneeing me in the groin.

It was very amateurish of Hynes to tinker with the lines with such a big lead in the first game of the year. I hesitate to re-hash what has probably been discussed ad nauseam in here, so I'll leave it at that. Very disappointed with Hynes' unnecessary "adjustments" when nothing needed to be adjusted.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Remember the first few games are always whacky. There’s so much attention because it’s the first real hockey in half a year. But it’s not a particularly representative sample of anything. Last year we were 4 - 0 before being the worst team in the league.

But this was just another example of the coaching staff shooting the team in the foot and being a big reason why the team lost the game. It’s a been an issue since they’ve been here.

Reactions: Devilsfan992

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
I am really super surprised no one noticed (or least commented on) Subban going for the unnecessary hit in the middle of the ice taking himself out of the play that led to the scoring chance in the last seconds of regulation. We literally were inches from losing that game in regulation due to that dumb play.

Ehlers needed to have his ass sat. He was taking too many privileges with cutting into the middle.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
I'm shocked to see Wood had 10 mins of ice time. Seemed like he was out all the time.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Ok I'm hungover as **** and had a great time last night despite what was an awful outcome. There were A LOT of things to like about that game. I watched it at a pub which was filled with Jets fans and despite the epic collapse the people had nothing but positive things to say about the Devils. NJ was the better team pretty much all night.

I need to start by saying I nearly shed a tear for Cory. That poor son of a ***** was having a nice game and then he gets hurt. I hope and pray it's not too serious but I'm expecting him to be out for awhile. It's Mackenzie's team for now but that was a brutal situation to be put into. He was obviously cold going in.

I LOVED the bottom 6. Coleman-Zajac-Simmonds did a great job against the Scheifele line. That's as quiet as I've seen their top line in quite some time. Props to Greene and Subban who played extremely well together. Back to Coleman, everyone I talked to was super impressed with him. He's a stud. Also, Simmonds was awesome in his role.

I hate pining on the guy because he takes a lot of flack here but Severson was horrendous. His awareness in the defensive zone was poor all night. I hope it was just an off night for him because that was hideous. Also, Mueller needs a priest when it comes to the breakout.

I must also add that Wood was fantastic but you just know he is kicking himself for not finishing on the 3 prime scoring chances he had. He will continue to be a terror in the bottom 6. Great player to have. Zacha also looked great.

I thought Jesper Bratt was an absolute marvel with the puck on his stick. My friends were asking who the hell he was because it seemed like every time he had the puck something good was happening. I am concerned about the line defensively as they were hemmed in a lot unfortunately.

In the end, I'm not as upset as I'd typically be after blowing a 4-0 lead. I thought they played well all night and did a number on the Jets top 6 which is no easy feat. If Cory stays in, they win that game. There are lots of positives to draw from and I'm confident they can bounce back in Buffalo.

Good post. Agree with it all.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Wood had a good game. Everyone in my section thought he scored with a few minutes left :(
He makes many plays by himself on the fly which is great but he destroys so many plays on the cycle. He loses so many puck battles for such a big guy, wish he controlled the puck better.

ghughes20

Jul 12, 2013
As we continue to bash the defense, and Severson in particular, please note that Ty Smith got 3 points in his debut. 2 goals and an assist. But, hey, at least we didn't expose Mueller, Carrick or Rooney to waivers, right?

Anyway, good to see Smith didn't take his demotion badly. He's going to have a monster year in junior and will be a solid NHL d-man very soon. Maybe late April?

Edit: fixed typo.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Smith should of been better in camp and he wouldn't of been sent down. Especially how weak we are on LD. He will have a big year in the WHL and WJC but we need to lower on expectations on him a bit. He's gotta add some size this year and work on his skating. Still think he will be a solid 2/3 d man for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->