Post-Game Talk: Jets 5-Devils-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
maybe hughes should play on the wing for a while until he gets his bearing in the nhl. offensive skill is there but the d is going to lack until he puts in some more muscle

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I mean, the real problem was that multiple players didn't chip it out when they could have. There is no other answer as to why we lost. And it's the same as last year. What's more likely, the tactics are stupid or the majority of the roster is stupid?

Severson and Hughes deserve criticism for being horrific with and without the puck (Mueller also was terrible with the puck on his stick), but focusing on Hayden or anyone else is pretty silly.
I would say it’s more likely the tactics are stupid...good team defense is not a difficult thing for even average players to execute.

Do you think differently?

Reactions: Oneiro

Whaddagoal

Timos back! Let's go!
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I mean, the real problem was that multiple players didn't chip it out when they could have. There is no other answer as to why we lost. And it's the same as last year. What's more likely, the tactics are stupid or the majority of the roster is stupid?

Severson and Hughes deserve criticism for being horrific with and without the puck (Mueller also was terrible with the puck on his stick), but focusing on Hayden or anyone else is pretty silly.

Even on that play, Severson could have at worst, iced it down so that the play at least would reset on a faceoff, he bungled it bjg time....

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If Severson had iced it and the Jets scored off the faceoff, Severson would've been destroyed here for icing the puck.
The only two options were not to ice it and to give the puck away to the forechecker.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
maybe hughes should play on the wing for a while until he gets his bearing in the nhl. offensive skill is there but the d is going to lack until he puts in some more muscle

I remember people saying we should do this with Nico.

Did we do this with him? Hughes will be fine. He's a center not a wing. It's one game. He needs to work on his defense. At times he looked like he was confused on who to cover in the defensive zone. This is where coaching needs to come in and help.

I think someone said it previously, he's a quick learner/adapter. Seeing what can and can't work. He will have his highs and lows. His speed, passing, skill were on display last night. He's going to be a great one in time.

One thing I was confused on was I don't know why he took the puck out in front of the net like he did....I don't know why Bratt did it either? Was strange to see them both do it.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I remember people saying we should do this with Nico.

Did we do this with him? Hughes will be fine. It's one game.

I think someone said it previously, he's a quick learner/adapter. Seeing what can and can't work. He will have his highs and lows. His speed, passing, skill were on display last night. He's going to be a great one in time.

One thing I was confused on was I don't know why he took the puck out in front of the net like he did....I don't know why Bratt did it either? Was strange to see them both do it.
But Nico also had an elite level player to carry the load. Jack is with a guy who’s still learning to play in the NHL. Maybe swap those two.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I would say it’s more likely the tactics are stupid...good team defense is not a difficult thing for even average players to execute.

Do you think differently?

No, that was my point.This team has had a problem with turnovers at their own blue line for four years.

Severson not chipping it out wasn't the worst thing about his play last night. Frankly, he looked a lot like Smith looked in pre-season - very unaware of the play developing around the net, stick not on the ice.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

I doubt that will happen. Hynes let Nico struggle with the finer points of the position at the NHL level, including being horrific at faceoffs. I imagine he'll do the same on-the-job-training with Hughes.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I am really super surprised no one noticed (or least commented on) Subban going for the unnecessary hit in the middle of the ice taking himself out of the play that led to the scoring chance in the last seconds of regulation. We literally were inches from losing that game in regulation due to that dumb play.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I don’t think hynes is capable of coaching the elite players in the league unless he is an assistant. We saw last year that he gets the most out of borderline ahl and nhl players. That’s why he keeps plugs like Rooney and hayden around. They respond to his system and work their asses off.

Reactions: Devilsfan992

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
One of Severson's biggest problems is he always looks to "do something", even when there are literally no options. Just pin the puck to the wall in that case & delay for help while teammates arrive.

But no, instead, Severson's going to do it himself & move the puck somewhere, anywhere.

How he got to the NHL level on defense without this being beaten out of him by some coach at some level is beyond me.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
No one has mentioned Greene. He was pretty terrible as well. He couldn’t even clear the puck out of his zone if he picked it up with his hand and threw it.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I am really super surprised no one noticed (or least commented on) Subban going for the unnecessary hit in the middle of the ice taking himself out of the play that led to the scoring chance in the last seconds of regulation. We literally were inches from losing that game in regulation due to that dumb play.
I missed it. I thought he had a great game though. Offensively and defensively.

Reactions: Devilsfan992

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm just telling you what would've happened. It doesn't matter what options he had or didn't have.
Saying "if he did this other stupid thing and it resulted in a goal he also would be criticized" doesn't exactly make the point you are trying to make. He had viable options which didn't involve making a bad play, as he often does when he makes poor decisions. It's one of the biggest flaws in his game.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don’t think hynes is capable of coaching the elite players in the league unless he is an assistant. We saw last year that he gets the most out of borderline ahl and nhl players. That’s why he keeps plugs like Rooney and hayden around. They respond to his system and work their asses off.

In a 24 hour period of terrible takes, this is probably the worst one. The coaches who are 'incapable' of coaching elite players are coaches who try to box their best players into playing a rote system. Hynes doesn't do that at all.

I mean, he had a guy win the MVP award while he was the coach. But yes, he cannot get the most out of elite players.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Saying "if he did this other stupid thing and it resulted in a goal he also would be criticized" doesn't exactly make the point you are trying to make. He had viable options which didn't involve making a bad play, as he often does when he makes poor decisions. It's one of the biggest flaws in his game.
You know damn well if Sevs turned around and shot it in his own net, people would criticize him for it.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

He will be fine. The Jets have a tremendous group of forwards. One of the best groups on the league.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Not to take away from all the talk of the terrible play of a lot of Devils, but did anyone notice how horrible Laine looked?

Laine isn't that good. Hes just big and shoots hard. He cant skate, doesn't really have good hands, and doesn't play defense at all. One trick pony

Reactions: glenwo2

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
One of Severson's biggest problems is he always looks to "do something", even when there are literally no options. Just pin the puck to the wall in that case & delay for help while teammates arrive.

But no, instead, Severson's going to do it himself & move the puck somewhere, anywhere.

How he got to the NHL level on defense without this being beaten out of him by some coach at some level is beyond me.
There is no support in this system...do you really not see this? Our forwards are looking to breakout as soon as we have possession. Make a point to watch where are forwards are or heading when one of our Dmen have the puck down low...they are often in the other zone already. He and everyone else is being asked to carry the puck out of the zone or make a pass.

Did you watch Severson at all in the World Championships? Did you watch him in what was pretty much a shutdown role? He was brilliant. I suppose you could say that is a meaningless tournament against inferior competition and I wouldn't necessarily disagree but I do believe what we saw was twofold - one a proper partner for Severson and two a simple system that allowed him to play a simple a game. And he excelled in those conditions.

Edit: and I would challenge you to name one Dman in the last 5 years who has truly excelled defensively under this system...Year one the Larsson/Greene combo was solid defensively but pretty much a sit back keep the play to outside, collapse kind of defense. It was a turtle defense. And it really wasn't a full implementation of Hynes system in year one.

One last Edit:
Teams goals against has steadily risen every year under Hynes. This isn't just league averages

GOals Against since 2010.
2010 - 191
2011 - 209
2012 - 209
2013 - 129 **48 games
2014 - 208
2015 - 216
2016 - 208
2017 - 244
2018 - 244
2019 - 275

We haven't allowed as many as 275 goals in a season since 288 in the 1989-90 season. Hynes' teams have had some of the worst GAA for New Jersey Devil's teams not counting the 1980's when 300 goals against were commonplace.

Something is going on beyond a single players perceived weaknesses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->