Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Mild 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Yeah to Barron. I think Perfetti offers more. Barron over Appleton maybe, but could go either way there. I've liked Apples over the last month.

Not really sure on Miller but he might be stronger than Pionk in the top 4. I wasn't really looking at the D pairings tbh though.
I like Perfetti a lot! But playoffs is a different game. If it comes down to him vs Barron or Apples the coaching staff will sit 91. As for Pionk, he's a top 3d on this team regardless of whether the fans notice or not 😉

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Yes, Logan Stanley single handedly caused you guys to miss the playoffs. What a whiny suck.

Maybe Stanley IS that good?

Russo seems more and more like a worked up grievance collector who's way too invested in the team and its collection of sporting grudges. So much for sportswriters as journos-not-superfans who simply cover a beat.

Missed this one but good to see the goons fall by the wayside yet again while the Jets played some good hockey.

And very encouraged to see Names carrying the Matty P 4th-line Jesus banner high. This combo of power forward, tough digger and crafty skilled vet is great news. Nothing says playoffs like a great 4th line.

Yeah he was brought in as depth not with the idea of supplanting anyone in the top four.

His profile indicates he is pretty comparable with Dillon, Samberg and Schmidt overall.

I don't think it's a bad take saying he could be a second pair guy than Pionk. But that's not realistic to actually happen I don't think.

Yep.

Pionk ain't leaving the top 4 until his contract ends, IMO. He's one of those puzzling "we know that the team is committed to him" guys who escapes all scrutiny for whatever reason(s).

Good Pionk is a genuine blast to watch, but that fella has been a milk-carton memory for a long time now.

Last edited:

Dirtbag151

Feb 6, 2021
I've got this waiting for the playoffs,...hopefully not using it to wallow in lol

Attachments

• IMG_20240407_111717.jpg
    IMG_20240407_111717.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 1

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You can trace their fall back to when they went for it and got Parise and Suter. Those deals looked good on the surface and did make the wild a contender but the carnage of the length of contracts and subsequent buyouts left them hamstrung.

That's why I'm glad Chevy is very calculating during free agent frenzy. You can really damage your future with legacy contracts.

He hasn't been perfect (Stuart, Pavelec and Wheeler to some extent) but he's not big on mortgaging the future and I appreciate that.

It is the one upside to being a market that top free agents don’t want to come to. It is a self regulating mechanism that keeps us from doing stupid deals with UFA’s

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I like Perfetti a lot! But playoffs is a different game. If it comes down to him vs Barron or Apples the coaching staff will sit 91. As for Pionk, he's a top 3d on this team regardless of whether the fans notice or not 😉
Fourth line has a monster game - basically the reason we win... and guys are like hey lets bench Barron

Only lineup that makes sense to me is PRing one of Perfetti or Toffoli... and I think I'd switch them up throughout the playoff run - what team ever gets to say they have a rested scorer on their second line in say game 3 or 4

Miler is not starting for this team barring injury - I'd open the series with Stan-Schmidt which blows my mind that I'd be pumping Stan's tires now

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Fourth line has a monster game - basically the reason we win... and guys are like hey lets bench Barron

Only lineup that makes sense to me is PRing one of Perfetti or Toffoli... and I think I'd switch them up throughout the playoff run - what team ever gets to say they have a rested scorer on their second line in say game 3 or 4

Miler is not starting for this team barring injury - I'd open the series with Stan-Schmidt which blows my mind that I'd be pumping Stan's tires now

I think the fourth line would pretty much be just as good with Namest + Apples and Iafallo, imo. I don't think Barron offers more than Perfetti; Perfetti scores more and has better defensive numbers. Granted Perfetti probably had a somewhat better linemate mix.

I can see the argument for keeping Barron instead but I think it's weird to act like it's crazy to favour Perfetti here. He also had a monster game a couple games ago.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Another good game by the Jets. Since they went back to the lines that work in the LA game the Jets have won the EXPECTED Goal and ACTUAL goal battle in all 3 games.

If they keep them together they have a chance in the playoffs. The coach and the egos have to stay out of the way though. There are hints (and I hope I am wrong about this) that these lines won't be allowed to continue (the quick switch last game which was unswitched due to a GA) and the change at the end of this game when shortening the bench, putting together Connor-Scheifele-Monahan presumably because he trusts that combo more defensively, giving the vibes that as soon as there is a hint of adversity they might be quick to pull that trigger.

4th line showing what a matchup advantage they can be.

The bolded is what it appears to be - but is that even remotely possible? Bones is a hockey man to his core. He played a LOT of hockey and has coached for more than 40 years. What could he possible see that could lead to that conclusion? Could it be about going for the EN goal?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So tough.

I don't think Toffoli is being maximized on the 3rd line. I can't see Nino going anywhere but the third to reunite that line.

If I had my way, the third line would become the 4th and the new third line would be a buttery soft matchup line.

We know 7 and 27 have chemistry, and you wouldn't have to worry about them defensively.

I also feel like 27 and 91 work

So....

73 55 13. 17 mins
81 23 9. 16 mins
27 7 91. 15 mins
62 17 22 12 mins

36 19 15

In my mind this works only if you reduce 55 and 81 lines ice time. Ofc if we're leading most the game the 4th line gets more time

Too wild I know.
Not sure I want to break up the 4th line from yesterday. That was almost textbook from what you want from a 4th line in the playoffs.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
The bolded is what it appears to be - but is that even remotely possible? Bones is a hockey man to his core. He played a LOT of hockey and has coached for more than 40 years. What could he possible see that could lead to that conclusion? Could it be about going for the EN goal?
55 was put on with 81 and 23 so he could take the defensive zone draw on the right side.

As I said earlier, a minute or so later 81-23-91 were going on the ice with the goalie pulled, and just as they stepped on, Barron took the high sticking penalty.

Not sure I want to break up the 4th line from yesterday. That was almost textbook from what you want from a 4th line in the playoffs.
It was one dominant game not a bunch in a row. I do understand that thinking, but you could say exactly the same with the second line. They have been very good these last three games together, why would you want to break that up?

Apples on the 4th when Nino is back makes that line even better IMO and 73 on the third gives them much needed scoring ability.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
View attachment 847328

Mild can take off eh!

I like this band wagon bro!:naughty:

4 out of 5 John McLanes

View attachment 847329View attachment 847329View attachment 847329
View attachment 847329

Onwards and Upwards

The Jets acting like themselves again!

How about that Tree?

View attachment 847333

26 YO next month.
He has been good for a while now.
Can it be that he is finally learning how to get the most out of the assets he has? Even his fighting has improved.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So tough.

I don't think Toffoli is being maximized on the 3rd line. I can't see Nino going anywhere but the third to reunite that line.

If I had my way, the third line would become the 4th and the new third line would be a buttery soft matchup line.

We know 7 and 27 have chemistry, and you wouldn't have to worry about them defensively.

I also feel like 27 and 91 work

So....

73 55 13. 17 mins
81 23 9. 16 mins
27 7 91. 15 mins
62 17 22 12 mins

36 19 15

In my mind this works only if you reduce 55 and 81 lines ice time. Ofc if we're leading most the game the 4th line gets more time

Too wild I know.

I think it has merit. I might swap your second and third lines though. Not that that matters much when TOI is being distributed that evenly. And of course, the TOIs are affected by ST.

Reactions: hn777 and Jet

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think the fourth line would pretty much be just as good with Namest + Apples and Iafallo, imo. I don't think Barron offers more than Perfetti; Perfetti scores more and has better defensive numbers. Granted Perfetti probably had a somewhat better linemate mix.

I can see the argument for keeping Barron instead but I think it's weird to act like it's crazy to favour Perfetti here. He also had a monster game a couple games ago.
It's the style of game that bones need... Barron is the last speed guy - yes we can bump down apples but I'm really not confident that toffoli is a shut down playoff guy - will find out soon enough

Reactions: hn777 and Jack7222

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

So ....... are you sitting Samberg or Dillon for Stan?

Reactions: Jets 31

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
55 was put on with 81 and 23 so he could take the defensive zone draw on the right side.

As I said earlier, a minute or so later 81-23-91 were going on the ice with the goalie pulled, and just as they stepped on, Barron took the high sticking penalty.

It was one dominant game not a bunch in a row. I do understand that thinking, but you could say exactly the same with the second line. They have been very good these last three games together, why would you want to break that up?

Apples on the 4th when Nino is back makes that line even better IMO and 73 on the third gives them much needed scoring ability.
Those are just tweaks, I was more responding to the suggested drastic overall of all 4 lines going into the playoffs, that just won't happen. I'd go with Baron over Apples, but I understand the argument the other way. Toffoli on the 3rd makes sense, but I can see it going the other way and Perfetti being the odd man out come the playoffs.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Those are just tweaks, I was more responding to the suggested drastic overall of all 4 lines going into the playoffs, that just won't happen. I'd go with Baron over Apples, but I understand the argument the other way. Toffoli on the 3rd makes sense, but I can see it going the other way and Perfetti being the odd man out come the playoffs.
I think this is the most likely scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad