Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Mild 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I see a lot of talk here, on who comes out, when Nino returns ? For me, Barron stays in, as you need size, speed and grit in the playoffs, and he has all of those elements. Scored a beauty against the Wild, on a nice tip in. I'd also leave in Perfetti, as you need playmakers that can set up Connor on that 2nd line, and also who can score. Cole would stay in the lineup in my opinion.

That leaves a decision, and that would be either Appleton, or Iaffalo would come out of the lineup, and it's a pretty close call. I might alternate them between games, and see who does better in the playoff style of game. I think for me, I'd sit out Iaffalo to start.

It will be interesting to see what Bowness does ?? Maybe he'll decide to sit Cole, and go for more experience, but I think that's a mistake. Whatever happens, it's a nice problem to have, in that you have quite a few very talented depth players.

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
is that good?

Well, if you're 6'7" of Big Logan trying to accelerate and hit those tight turns in order to carry out those brutal assaults on Saint Kaprizov , then running a jib in addition to a mainsail helps...

Nino comes back in, and I can see Barron and Perfetti rotating, or Barron staying in because Barron toughness and Perfetti's mysterious "puck management" issues -- but I expect both to see some icetime depending on how the first few games shake out. Bones seems all-in on Dependable Al, so maybe he sticks.

I think the Avs are a very dangerous but quite volatile team, with a better top end but more vulnerabilities than Dallas. If the Jets can take a game early and slow things down they're in with a chance.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
The one piercing I ever got was a labret. I remember the piercer guy calmly explaining to me he was going to take a hollow tube and shove it through my face. I'm not sure what I expected but it wasn't that. I almost bolted, but didn't because of the one male "superpower" of my generation - which is do anything to not appear chicken shit. But yeah, I cringe at a lot of piercings because I always imagine what if they caught on something and got ripped out.
One of our girls was in a mothers' group and one of the mothers had a nasal piercing. Showed up with all sorts of bandages one week and turned out her baby had grabbed hold of the ring in her nose and yanked it out. Gal needed stitches and antibiotics.

True story: Years ago at a secure event some babe tripped the alarm. Security wanded her and the problem was in her crotch but she wore a dress so no zipper. Woman tells security she's got a piercing down there but wands are never that sensitive. The security guy thinks for a second, woman offers to show him, so he figures her attitude is wrong. He gets a female officer to take her into a room and inspect her. Everything checks out and the woman is real proud to show off her piercing. Female officer gets pestered for days after to tell all the guys the details.

Pretty sure with modern gates at the arena TNSE never gets this issue but a late friend told me his hip replaced set it off every time and they just waved him thru.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
L
It was one dominant game not a bunch in a row. I do understand that thinking, but you could say exactly the same with the second line. They have been very good these last three games together, why would you want to break that up?
Indeed... can any real informed decisions about line configuration options come from assessment times measured in shifts, periods, or even particular games?

Bones himself seems to believe he can realistically make decisions based on extremely small sample sizes. This leaves him very vulnerable to making decisions which are sub-optimal and perhaps based upon confirmation bias. Hope he`s up to the challenge.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
L

Indeed... can any real informed decisions about line configuration options come from assessment times measured in shifts, periods, or even particular games?

Bones himself seems to believe he can realistically make decisions based on extremely small sample sizes. This leaves him very vulnerable to making decisions which are sub-optimal and perhaps based upon confirmation bias. Hope he`s up to the challenge.
I haven't minded the way bones manages his bench. Sometimes o don't agree but I can usually see the logic.

The thing that drives me crazy is that significant changes have not been made to special teams. Whether that be strategy, personnel, or coaching changes.

When you're at no risk of missing the playoffs, the regular season has to be the testing ground to get your game right, and I feel like he's just running it back hoping something will change.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I see a lot of talk here, on who comes out, when Nino returns ? For me, Barron stays in, as you need size, speed and grit in the playoffs, and he has all of those elements. Scored a beauty against the Wild, on a nice tip in. I'd also leave in Perfetti, as you need playmakers that can set up Connor on that 2nd line, and also who can score. Cole would stay in the lineup in my opinion.

That leaves a decision, and that would be either Appleton, or Iaffalo would come out of the lineup, and it's a pretty close call. I might alternate them between games, and see who does better in the playoff style of game. I think for me, I'd sit out Iaffalo to start.

It will be interesting to see what Bowness does ?? Maybe he'll decide to sit Cole, and go for more experience, but I think that's a mistake. Whatever happens, it's a nice problem to have, in that you have quite a few very talented depth players.
Assuming full good health, which is a big if, I think we will see a rotation of 3 or 4 guys come in and out of the lineup at forward, and a rotation of the bottom pairing guys, depending on how games go and what is transpiring in any given series. If everyone buys in it can really set us up well for some playoff battles.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Odds of Bones taking Ehlers out of the lineup for Nino, so Connor can move back to top line?

IMG_3826.gif

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
So I listened to the game on the radio CJOB and seriously is was a blast while driving ... brings back the memories of Ken Nicolson and Curt Keilback days.
Anyways Edmonds and the other guy were talking about the Jets PK they mentioned that the Jets are one of the teams with the fewest short handed goals (3) and the reason behind it was the other teams have fast skaters on their PK. So I was wondering if the Jets should try putting Ehlers on the PK and maybe even Connor because their PK is terrible and it could not get any worst ... try something new. You have 5 games to experiment.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Fourth line has a monster game - basically the reason we win... and guys are like hey lets bench Barron

Only lineup that makes sense to me is PRing one of Perfetti or Toffoli... and I think I'd switch them up throughout the playoff run - what team ever gets to say they have a rested scorer on their second line in say game 3 or 4

Miler is not starting for this team barring injury - I'd open the series with Stan-Schmidt which blows my mind that I'd be pumping Stan's tires now
Most of this board were crapping on Stan when ever he made his way into the lineup - every little flub with scrutinized.
Like most players, you need to play often to get better - a couple of significant injuries (one on top of the other) don't help his chances of staying in the lineup.
I'm glad he's coming around and showing his value - hope he keeps it up. Whether or not size is a appreciated as an asset for some, in hockey and on defense, it usually is.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Most of this board were crapping on Stan when ever he made his way into the lineup - every little flub with scrutinized.
Like most players, you need to play often to get better - a couple of significant injuries (one on top of the other) don't help his chances of staying in the lineup.
I'm glad he's coming around and showing his value - hope he keeps it up. Whether or not size is a appreciated as an asset for some, in hockey and on defense, it usually is.
Don't get me wrong... I think Chisholm played a much better game than Stan...

Reactions: hn777

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Those are just tweaks, I was more responding to the suggested drastic overall of all 4 lines going into the playoffs, that just won't happen. I'd go with Baron over Apples, but I understand the argument the other way. Toffoli on the 3rd makes sense, but I can see it going the other way and Perfetti being the odd man out come the playoffs.
Perfetti will likely be measured based on the upcoming games against the big boys- assuming they want to get him in to see how he stacks up against the speedy / heavy games those guys play.

Don't get me wrong... I think Chisholm played a much better game than Stan...
Yeah - if only he was a Jet . . .

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
One of our girls was in a mothers' group and one of the mothers had a nasal piercing. Showed up with all sorts of bandages one week and turned out her baby had grabbed hold of the ring in her nose and yanked it out. Gal needed stitches and antibiotics.

True story: Years ago at a secure event some babe tripped the alarm. Security wanded her and the problem was in her crotch but she wore a dress so no zipper. Woman tells security she's got a piercing down there but wands are never that sensitive. The security guy thinks for a second, woman offers to show him, so he figures her attitude is wrong. He gets a female officer to take her into a room and inspect her. Everything checks out and the woman is real proud to show off her piercing. Female officer gets pestered for days after to tell all the guys the details.

Pretty sure with modern gates at the arena TNSE never gets this issue but a late friend told me his hip replaced set it off every time and they just waved him thru.
I never understood the security procedure at the arena. I wear an absolutely huge metal belt buckle and it doesn't set off the detectors, yet my keys and coins (which I have to put on a tray) would? Go figure...:dunno:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
L

Probably depend on what he's assessing -
Sometimes it doesn't take a bunch of games to get a pretty good idea of what a player can and can't do.
Especially if it is related to game style - which is what it is sometimes and based on the player and how they play the game.
And there is nothing new when it comes to coaches tweaking the lineup - sometimes it makes sense to base it on what is happening right now and not necessarily what happened in the past.
I doubt very much that Bones makes rash decisions - he'll base them on his experience in evaluating players and what he wants / needs right now.

Reactions: thereturn

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
It’s probably because we have all four players anchored in the slot, not challenging out at the points. I imagine it is easier to get SH goals when you force turnovers by D at the point.
So I listened to the game on the radio CJOB and seriously is was a blast while driving ... brings back the memories of Ken Nicolson and Curt Keilback days.
Anyways Edmonds and the other guy were talking about the Jets PK they mentioned that the Jets are one of the teams with the fewest short handed goals (3) and the reason behind it was the other teams have fast skaters on their PK. So I was wondering if the Jets should try putting Ehlers on the PK and maybe even Connor because their PK is terrible and it could not get any worst ... try something new. You have 5 games to experiment.

Reactions: Jets 31 and hn777

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Statistically Stan was the man. CF% 76.19%, xGF% 78.97%.
I guess if we are using your standard then let's move Stanley up to the top pairing because Josh Morrissey only had a CF% 45.16... and we should bench Perfetti since he had CF% 26 hahaha

Show me a game where Stan plays 21 mins and is on ice for no goals against.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I guess if we are using your standard then let's move Stanley up to the top pairing because Josh Morrissey only had a CF% 45.16... and we should bench Perfetti since he had CF% 26 hahaha

Show me a game where Stan plays 21 mins and is on ice for no goals against.
Nope. Not suggesting that at all. Merely pointing out statistically he had a very strong game, since so many aren’t willing to acknowledge when he plays well.

Last edited:

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
I thought that was more of a love tap, barely a penalty, more of a dive really. I’m still not that enamoured of Stanley (skating is big liability) but if that’s the response he generates from Wild fans, that’s worth every penny.
That is what Wild fans and media have been complaining about since yesterday? That was the most nothing play I have ever seen. Cheap shot?! Lol.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Nope. Not suggesting that at all. Merely pointing out statistically he had a very strong game, since so many aren’t willing to acknowledge when he plays well.
Once again you're defending a stance of your own creation... I just said I liked Stan and quantified it that Chisholm had a better game - which is 100% true

You KNOW that fancy stats from one game make no sense... especially for 13 mins of ice time

Reactions: hn777

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I think this team is getting closer and closer to finding their A game. Just maybe they peak going into the playoffs.
The next three games are likely knock those lofty expectations down a few notches.

That’s the sad reality I’m expecting this week.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The next three games are likely knock those lofty expectations down a few notches.

That’s the sad reality I’m expecting this week.
Not me, we are tied for the most regulation wins in the NHL and we didn't get lucky to win those. I expect the Jets to end up in 2nd place in the Central with home ice advantage against Colorado. :nod:

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
The jets are 3-0 since I stopped watching.
I guess this means I can’t watch any more until next season o_O
Things reset themselves come playoffs. Any superstitions go out the window and now everyone must start fresh and find out what works for them from there so you’re good.

Iafallo was always a stand out in LA come playoff time to me. He tormented the Oilers and was one of the names I regularly heRd the announcers call out while watching. I think he is the exact type of player you want on the forecheck come playoff time. I feel it would be silly to sit him.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Things reset themselves come playoffs. Any superstitions go out the window and now everyone must start fresh and find out what works for them from there so you’re good.

Iafallo was always a stand out in LA come playoff time to me. He tormented the Oilers and was one of the names I regularly heRd the announcers call out while watching. I think he is the exact type of player you want on the forecheck come playoff time. I feel it would be silly to sit him.
I agree, it's probably going to be Barron that sits, at least to start the playoffs anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad