Post-Game Talk: Jets 1 period not enough lose 5-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I agree, it’s too early to make any kind of statement about this team.
However, it’s not too early to state that this team has never figured out how to play against the trap and still hasn’t.
We won’t beat the Vegas’s of the world until we do, and this should be a huge focus during practices.
They need to learn how to play against it and also how to do it against other teams themselves.
Because we all know how good the Jets are at locking games down when ahead. :)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
You have to score 1st and often against teams that play the 1-3-1 we had lots of chances early and couldn't do it and they got comfortable playing their style in the 2nd and scored and we had to chase a game against a team that is very good at playing at counter style game and we lost

On to the next one

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
This game was definitely a story of one team playing great on defense and another that didn't. Sadly for us we were the latter...

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Still better than 4800, attendance is going to drag this year and I don't blame any fan that doesn't want to spend money on the team this year, last year pissed a lot of people off but that's not the only factor.
Agree with you, and "running it back" was a big gamble for this very reason, but that's what they did. I don't consider the PLD trade and Wheels buyout to be a significant retool or shakeup; Schief and/or Helle needed to go for it to be a real change in the core.

But moreover, as you say this isn't the only factor, and I'm sure that rampant inflation and the extreme increase in cost of living is a factor. The official inflation numbers are BS partly because of the formula they use, which was changed in the early 80s, if we still used the pre 1980 formula inflation has actually been close to 20% over the past year or two. It's also misleading because it averages everything out and doesn't consider that the most basic necessities of food and shelter have gone up way more than anything else. I don't know about other folk but I know my grocery bill has doubled over the past two years and my wife is VERY frugal and shops at 5 different stores to get all the best prices.

When you're paying several hundred more per month just on food, and if you rent, an additional $1000 per month on rent, what is going to go first? Discretionary expenditures like attending a hockey game at the arena especially when you can watch it elsewhere.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
The difference between Hellebuyck and Talbot in that game, is Jets couldn't get high danger chances. LA on the other hand could walk the puck out to the front of our net.

Gotta fix that defense. I'm not impressed with Schmidt so far this season.
Schmidt has been really shaky. Pionk looks ok so far.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Agree with you, and "running it back" was a big gamble for this very reason, but that's what they did. I don't consider the PLD trade and Wheels buyout to be a significant retool or shakeup; Schief and/or Helle needed to go for it to be a real change in the core.

But moreover, as you say this isn't the only factor, and I'm sure that rampant inflation and the extreme increase in cost of living is a factor. The official inflation numbers are BS partly because of the formula they use, which was changed in the early 80s, if we still used the pre 1980 formula inflation has actually been close to 20% over the past year or two. It's also misleading because it averages everything out and doesn't consider that the most basic necessities of food and shelter have gone up way more than anything else. I don't know about other folk but I know my grocery bill has doubled over the past two years and my wife is VERY frugal and shops at 5 different stores to get all the best prices.

When you're paying several hundred more per month just on food, and if you rent, an additional $1000 per month on rent, what is going to go first? Discretionary expenditures like attending a hockey game at the arena especially when you can watch it elsewhere.
Yup, you see it at the grocery store, you see it at the pump, and try to mortgage a house or re finance or buy a car. Everything is on fire and as you say the first to go are tickets to events. Hopefully the economy makes a turn in the next few years and the Jets also get on a path to better results bringing back the average Jets fans into the barn.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Schmidt has been really shaky. Pionk looks ok so far.

Unfortunate injury to Ville as it looked like he had won Schmidts spot. I'd like to see Declan inserted for him next game.

Yup, you see it at the grocery store, you see it at the pump, and try to mortgage a house or re finance or buy a car. Everything is on fire and as you say the first to go are tickets to events. Hopefully the economy makes a turn in the next few years and the Jets also get on a path to better results bringing back the average Jets fans into the barn.

Agreed. You notice that the majority of tickets being impacted are to the cheaper seats. The corporations and people with money are still going to the games. It's the average household that is getting majorly squeezed right now and the ones not going to games. In time that will turn around.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
So if Valardi is out who do we think gets called up ? Ford ?
Jansen Harkins.

Oh... wait

I would think AJF would be the odds-on favourite. Ford is still too green IMO.

Does it have to be a right shot or is there room to juggle around to make way for the best possible talent?

Reactions: Inanna

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Jansen Harkins.

Oh... wait

I would think AJF would be the odds-on favourite. Ford is still too green IMO.

Does it have to be a right shot or is there room to juggle around to make way for the best possible talent?
Ya I'm not sure, i said Ford because to me he was one of our best players in pre-season .

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Ya I'm not sure, i said Ford because to me he was one of our best players in pre-season .

I would think the Jets would opt for the safest pick, i.e. the most experienced and plug-and-play ready. AJF would seem like that guy.

Toninato and Viel are the other Moose forwards who had some NHL games last season. Viel could be interesting, he'd bring some muscle to the bottom six.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
If Morrissey's crossbar shot goes in, and the reffing is more balanced, this is a totally different game. It had the makings of a classic but got a little off course halfway through the second, which is really too bad. We need to temper how far we go with the negative assessments after this one. LA is a good team.

I thought of the below article when I saw Scheifele and Perfetti sitting in the box together. Scheifele is clearly one of Perfetti's heroes and seeing Scheifele and Connor jump in after Gavrikov went after Perfetti was great. I know whenever someone has come to my defense in a scrum, or vice versa, it always forges a strong bond with that teammate. Scheifele has been so engaged so far this year, and clearly really wants to succeed. That is infectious and will raise everyone up, especially Perfetti. I know it was a frustrating game, but I think this will be a great season.

I remember those terrible losses at the beginning of the 2017-18 season. The Jets went on a year-long tear after that. I do think it's coming this year.

(Scheifele and Perfetti work well together on and off the ice | Winnipeg Jets)

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Gus will be slotted in
I'd bump perfection to top line and names to 2c - I don't see any finisher to play with perfetti on the roster

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Last night was like running into your ex at the bar and wanting to show them what they're missing.

But in the end you just got drunk, fell down, threw up and got kicked out of the bar and your ex probably just felt sorry for you more than anything else.
LOL, it sounds like you're recounting a past experience?

I only caught the first period and it sounds like I was lucky to miss the rest. I did see the Perfetti hit on the sports show this morning and it's unbelievable that you can do that and not get a penalty. I don't know if the team has any recourse but if the league doesn't suspend a player for that (which won't do us any good) then it's sending a clear and unfortunate message to the players.

And somebody here said earlier, now it's on to the next one.

Reactions: Stumbledore
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad