Post-Game Talk: Jets 1 period not enough lose 5-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Honestly, this is over the top -
He's making a few moves to maybe get a little more out of the 2nd line (because there hasn't been much) - nothing carved in stone and no reason to run a coach out of town.
We all have our favorite players but wow.

I don't care if it's over the top. This is a knee jerk reaction from the coach. If you say your going to have patience and have a plan, see it through. Don't deviate a couple games in at the first sign of some adversity. It shows me he's not strong enough in his convictions imo.

It's also about what's best for this org long term, not just for the next few games.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don’t disagree that they need a long-term answer at centre and I would personally have moved Kupari into the top six as a winger and have Gus at 4C, but the team needs to score goals and maybe Perfetti will be more dynamic on the wing. I didn’t hate his play at C but the team needs to generate more. They can still shift him back later.
the bigger cause for complaining should really be appleton on the top line and dillon-pionk together :laugh:

ehlers & perfetti together should be real good. the 2nd line hasn't scored a goal and i haven't found perfetti other than 1 play to be doing to much offensively. if it opens it up for more offense for him and get some goals on the board that's a good thing. it's game 4 of 82, & for Perfetti just a smidge of a long-career. this isn't ruining anyone long-term.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I'm happy that the injury to Vilardi wasn't worse. Still not great, but I'll take it over a Dach situation.

Not happy at all with Appleton being looked at as a guy to play on the 1st line. TBH, I haven't even liked his play on the 3rd, so moving him to the 1st is dissapointing to me. I agree with some others who suggested moving Kupari there and bringing up Gus for 4C.

I'm also not a huge fan of moving Perfetti over to wing after 4 games. Especially since his metrics have been very good (have they not?). My eye test watching him makes me feel like he's handling the defensive end, and I've seen him make some amazing setups on offense. If even 2 of those setups are buried (and they easily could have), is it a conversation? If it's a temporary thing, maybe it will spark something because the whole team needs to start scoring, but I'm not seeing Perfetti at centre being a reason this team isn't scoring. If it works, great, but sooner or later we need Perfetti (or Vilardi) at centre IMO as a long term option.

I don't think it's a surprise, but IMO a bigger issue currently is that Schmidt and Pionk are not providing 11.825 million in value atm. (Helle isn't either at this point, but IMO Helle has earned a massive amount of rope).

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
the bigger cause for complaining should really be appleton on the top line and dillon-pionk together :laugh:

ehlers & perfetti together should be real good. the 2nd line hasn't scored a goal and i haven't found perfetti other than 1 play to be doing to much offensively. if it opens it up for more offense for him and get some goals on the board that's a good thing. it's game 4 of 82, & for Perfetti just a smidge of a long-career. this isn't ruining anyone long-term.
Yeah, I’m not looking forward to Appleton on the first line

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
D is more problematic than the O so if nothing changes there then we hooped. Apple is a grinder tho, not a fan of 1st line Apple but the logic could be a good defensive right shot winger

Reactions: hn777

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
D is more problematic than the O so if nothing changes there then we hooped. Apple is a grinder tho, not a fan of 1st line Apple but the logic could be a good defensive right shot winger
this just me, but i find Kupari to have a bit more tools offensively. just as good as a forechecker and has speed. id like to have seen him get a look in the top-6 in some capacity.

nino and lowry showed some chemistry last year
namestnikov and ehlers did too.

folks praised the offensive depth additions.... 1st injury has hit so will be interesting to follow now.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Last night was like running into your ex at the bar and wanting to show them what they're missing.

But in the end you just got drunk, fell down, threw up and got kicked out of the bar and your ex probably just felt sorry for you more than anything else.
Soooo we got pity sex out of the deal...?

Attachments

• giphy (1).gif
    giphy (1).gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
this just me, but i find Kupari to have a bit more tools offensively. just as good as a forechecker and has speed. id like to have seen him get a look in the top-6 in some capacity.

nino and lowry showed some chemistry last year
namestnikov and ehlers did too.

folks praised the offensive depth additions.... 1st injury has hit so will be interesting to follow now.

He's just so mid. He does nothing well, and it shows every year in production. He should never be higher than the third line. 1 injury even with all the additions and we're back. Now we'll get a Perfetti injury and Karson Kuhlman will pop out of the casket like the f***ing Undertaker :laugh:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He's just so mid. He does nothing well, and it shows every year in production. He should never be higher than the third line. 1 injury even with all the additions and we're back. Now we'll get a Perfetti injury and Karson Kuhlman will pop out of the casket like the f***ing Undertaker :laugh:
:laugh:
honestly why not give iafallo a bit of a look up there instead? not a right-shot i suppose. but can legitimately do everything appleton probably can as well as this one crucial element of the game.... put the puck in the net.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
I don't care if it's over the top. This is a knee jerk reaction from the coach. If you say your going to have patience and have a plan, see it through. Don't deviate a couple games in at the first sign of some adversity. It shows me he's not strong enough in his convictions imo.

It's also about what's best for this org long term, not just for the next few games.
Unlike the knee jerk reactions on this board?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
:laugh:
honestly why not give iafallo a bit of a look up there instead? not a right-shot i suppose. but can legitimately do everything appleton probably can as well as this one crucial element of the game.... put the puck in the net.

No idea, legitimately a very good defensive player unlike Apples.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Many said when Bones was hired that he would merely be the caretaker for this aging core and it sure seems that's where we are heading. I don't think he will be around if and when the next core group shows up, at least I hope not.

Reactions: surixon

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
That is what gets me. We crowed all off season about the depth we built, yet a single injury puts Mason Appleton on the first line. That's gross.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Somebody in this organization really like Apples probably not the person who let him go to Seattle maybe the person who brought him back or are they one in the same, maybe they know something, but after watching him play these last few years he is a very average player who would not be on a better roster.

Reactions: Inanna

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Or maybe he sees that 2C is too much pressure on perfetti and wants to give him a break... like ease him into it - what a novel idea

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabe Kupari

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Or Chevy wanted him at center and Bones never did.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Or Chevy wanted him at center and Bones never did.

That's the impression I got from his comments today. In the end it comes off as a half baked plan by the org to put him there, especially if not everyone was onboard with it. Three games in is hardly a suitable adjustment period and any good plan would have factored that in. In the end we got a coach who made a quick decision about lack of offense in order to move him off it and instead thinks that the solution is a bottom 6 player.

No offense to anyone but I'm getting a bit sick of the old schoolness of this org.

Fatdrunk

Better Luck Next Year
Feb 1, 2019
It's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that Dinosaur Bones would move AHL APPLES to the first line and move Perfetti to wing. This is rewarding a poor performing vet while punishing an rookie making a minor mistake.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2006
It's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that Dinosaur Bones would move AHL APPLES to the first line and move Perfetti to wing.
I think that was a reporters error that’s now being taken as fact. For better or worse I’ve read elsewhere that it is Kupari that they will audition at that spot.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
That's the impression I got from his comments today. In the end it comes off as a half baked plan by the org to put him there, especially if not everyone was onboard with it. Three games in is hardly a suitable adjustment period and any good plan would have factored that in. In the end we got a coach who made a quick decision about lack of offense in order to move him off it and instead thinks that the solution is a bottom 6 player.

No offense to anyone but I'm getting a bit sick of the old schoolness of this org.

Just curious you seem to lose your shit easy. Which pro hockey teams have you coached? Cuz after 3 games it's bitching for bitchings sake

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Just curious you seem to lose your shit easy. Which pro hockey teams have you coached? Cuz after 3 games it's bitching for bitchings sake
Look 3 games is more than enough time to have it all figured out.
Injuries are part of the game, you’d think Bowness knew that by now.
These players get big bucks, time to put on the big boy pants.:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad