Post-Game Talk: Jets 1 period not enough lose 5-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Attendance is dropping year over year. There is nothing to base your opinion that it's going to improve on other than hope.

There is no guarantee that they will be a much better team than last year and if not selling out a Saturday home opener isn't a major red flag for you then you have your head buried deep in the sand.

The quality of the product dropped so demand has dropped. It's pretty simple and you see this in 90% of the other NHL markers. But can the attendance discussion please be moved ro the attendance thread.

Reactions: The Blue Baron

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The team needs to figure out that 1-3-1. I think this is where better breakouts from the D would help get the speed necessary to break it down.
IDK -
There's a bunch of ways to look at this but I see our best zone entries off Nzone turnovers - but that's only part of it.
It's been awhile since I've seen this team generate much off the rush starting from their own end - they don't seem to generate much in the way of speed on the approach - they'd rather play east / west once they hit that blueline.
Could they change that? Sure - but it won't happen over night.

Bones ran into this issue LY - and it frustrated the crap out of him.
He tried to get them to simplify but they stuck to their guns on that slo mo approach (too many passes, too slow, too clogged up) - and it got worse as the year went on.

IMO, it will come down to consistency - they'll need to play a 200 ft game for more than one period - and they'll need to keep up the pace.
I think it's still sinking in with this lot - they slow down rather than upping the pace, when teams through the wall up. Some of it is frustration - some of it might be the learning curve.

I hope they sort it out quickly before it becomes a coaching issue (when it really isn't a coaching issue).

Reactions: WolfHouse

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Buffalo was 66 % full I don't have the Jets yet but some math major could figure it out
Jets were roughly 73%, a bit higher but nothing to brag about. At least Buffalo sold out their opener, the Jets were not even close to doing that.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
The team needs to figure out that 1-3-1. I think this is where better breakouts from the D would help get the speed necessary to break it down.
There was one play at the end of the game where a Jets player was skating down the blue line east to west blocking the D man vision and and the Jet puck carrier able to cross the blue line no problem. I don't know if that was by design or a fluke but it worked.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Wouldn't surprise me if Stanley is in next game. Not with any proper justification, just a feeling.

Feel like Vegas is basically just the Kings but better.
I think we have a better shot against Vegas - at least they play a fast game and don't draw you into a rope a dope -
We'll need to be a lot better with our all around game but we've shown we can play that way - likely come down to whether or not we can play that way for 3 periods

Reactions: None

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I really don't see them going after Garland. Bones loves Namestnikov would not be surprised if he'll continue to be in the top 6 to start.
However.... I wouldn't mind seeing Kupari up there.
The Jets usually just ride out the injuries. Maybe sign a waiver guy ie Karson Kuhlman but I don't see a high dollar guy coming in. :dunno:

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Glad the game was on one of my vendors dime. I would’ve been pissed if I paid for that.
On to the next. Hopefully Gabe is good to go against the Piss Knights. GoJetsGo.

Reactions: The Blue Baron

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Yeah the jets sucked... but there's a reason the trap has survived for 30 years

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
IDK -
There's a bunch of ways to look at this but I see our best zone entries off Nzone turnovers - but that's only part of it.
It's been awhile since I've seen this team generate much off the rush starting from their own end - they don't seem to generate much in the way of speed on the approach - they'd rather play east / west once they hit that blueline.
Could they change that? Sure - but it won't happen over night.

Bones ran into this issue LY - and it frustrated the crap out of him.
He tried to get them to simplify but they stuck to their guns on that slo mo approach (too many passes, too slow, too clogged up) - and it got worse as the year went on.

IMO, it will come down to consistency - they'll need to play a 200 ft game for more than one period - and they'll need to keep up the pace.
I think it's still sinking in with this lot - they slow down rather than upping the pace, when teams through the wall up. Some of it is frustration - some of it might be the learning curve.

I hope they sort it out quickly before it becomes a coaching issue (when it really isn't a coaching issue).

You can't really generate nz turnovers when LA just dumps it in, sets up their structure and just let's you come at them. Edmonton has shown two years in a row now that speed is the key to breaking that scheme.

Still early but I agree that more rush offense would be good. Our best rush player hasn't been himself yet in Nik which is a factor. Cole is also starting to get more comfortable and he was one of the few tonight thay was able to navigate their nz with control.

Reactions: None

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
1697599627944.png

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I love Nino and Names hustle but they are not goal scorers … it would be nice if they could pot one one of these days.

Last edited:

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
Thought the effort was there but that horrendous call permanently handed the momentum to LA. Couple goals against where Kupari was a step too slow getting to his man in the slot, and then Perfetti with the dumb, indecisive giveaway behind the net. If you want to be a number 2 and 3 centre on a good team you need to make strong plays there. Oh well got "road-gamed", it happens, on to the next.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
At least rebuilding shows that they care. Year after year of this just shows us they don’t care, happy being a bubble team that maybe gets 2 home playoff games a year.

I disagree it shows that they care. It shows they'll put the bare minimum on the ice and hope you're still around 7 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad