Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 9: 98 NO MORE! JERSEY NUMBER NERDS REJOICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Puljujärvi has scored 6 of his points in 2 periods when he has played 10 games. 2 periods of play versus 360 minutes of play from him. That's the 6 awful games he has had. In almost every game he has been very bland, fumbling the puck and mostly running into the defenders and losing the puck.

He has not broken into the opposing end with speed and he rarely can get by the defender to get a shot on the inside. He's doing virtually nothing to benefit the team right now. You simply can't deny that. He's killing the offense of the 1st line.

Sorry that I'm not letting Jesse off the hook just because he's a part of the team I'm a fan of.
Liiga shouldn't be so hard to do okay in for a player of his caliber.

Stop defending his horrible play lately, and wait to see if he can turn his game for the better, even on a smaller scale.

Again, you are picking and modifying the stats to suit your narrative. To me it's hard to take it seriously because you pop in whenever there's a quieter or worse period. To me that's a sign that either

A) you get pleasure when you see Pulju is being bashed
B) you get annoyed when he's not bashed when you feel he should

I do hope I'm wrong and it's just a misunderstanding, which is totally possible. I've said he's definitely not at his best, but you're making the situation sound way worse than it is IMO.

In fact you can check the highlights of the previous games. Even against SaiPa Pulju was involved in the two or three maybe best chances and yes was unlucky not to score points. The first one close to an assits to a post hit, the second one a his rebound that went just above the goal and the third one a cross ice pass to Jokinen who failed completely in the open spot. I do think there should be more chances and agree with some things you said so that wasn't a good game from that regard either, but in just about every game it's often Pulju who creates and gets chances.

Like I said Pulju's corsi is the best of the team. His ppg and especially goals/60 are fine. He shoots more than anyone in the team. Maybe you could allow me to disagree with you when I think he hasn't been as bad as you think. But for sure I absolutely expect more from him. I'll drop this now, I think we're starting to fill this forum :)

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Yeh we get it. Another Fin taken 10 picks too soon ala Juolevi, Kakko, Kotka and recently Lundell. They sure look good pre-draft.
You do realise Kakko was arguably the best players for the Rangers in the post season? And to say Lundell was drafted too high is laughable.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
You do realise Kakko was arguably the best players for the Rangers in the post season? And to say Lundell was drafted too high is laughable.
You do realize he had 0 pts in post season and can't hold Zibane's jocks. Panarin guy might be alright as well for rags.
Lundell hasn't done shit and Pulju looked better pre draft.
This is Oilers board so if u want to shit on an Oiler find the main boards, Finland page or Calgary puck.
Excuse us for being hopeful in Edmonton.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I can't believe that's not understood.

McDavid ends up on his knee half the time he slaps it, does he have bad balance too?
Or maybe just leave it at the one helpful reply to a respectfully worded question? Yeesh ... some guys are so desperate to protect Puljujarvi they are looking for battles where there are none.

Reactions: Dorian2

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
I am not as worried from Puljujärvi scoring as of his overall game.
Puljujärvi can score in Liiga but he still fumbled pucks and cant handle pressure from opposition. He has taken stupid penalties that seem to rise from this pressure, aka he is fusturated.

But we will see soon.
If Puljujärvi can take third line role and play well in both ends with decent production I am more than happy.
After that all is bonus!

Ok Lets but some percents here! My nostradamus of Puljus next season :

Puljujärvi fails totally and is traded or waivers 25%!

Puljujärvi sails lower lines and benchings, hope is lost! 35%

Puljujärvi is NHL level 3-4 line player with more Upside 25%

Puljujärvi is top. 6 10%

Puljujärvi is 1st line man 5%

Ps. I ll take that 5% any day :)

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
NHLers shoot like that too.

Watch this video if you need a reference:

I've been watching and playing the game since the 70's so I understand hockey. Question was is his balance better than when I last saw him with the Oil a couple of years ago. Seemed to have a lot of issues and wanted clarity from people who've watched him lately. Didn't he have some hip surgery lately? Last I remember that part of his mobility was a bit of a negative factor in his overall play. Has his balance improved?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
That would be what you guys are doing, because he's scored 6 points in 2 games out of 10 games, he's surely that (the 2 points in 6 games) player, without seeing the games, only blinded by your fandom. I'm a Kärpät fan who hyped the f*** out of Jesse, but not ahead of Laine. I watch the games. I report what I see. He's not performing up to his expectations. You wouldn't want a player who clearly struggles in Liiga to do the same in the NHL, even in a reduced role.
The guys basically a ppg player and that's struggling ? He must be good then.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I've been watching and playing the game since the 70's so I understand hockey. Question was is his balance better than when I last saw him with the Oil a couple of years ago. Seemed to have a lot of issues and wanted clarity from people who've watched him lately. Didn't he have some hip surgery lately? Last I remember that part of his mobility was a bit of a negative factor in his overall play. Has his balance improved?

I didn't mean to come across as condescending, I was born in the 21st century so I definitely don't have the experience that you do. :laugh:

He had some balance issues in Edmonton, and that was probably a combination of his hip problems and the adjustment phase that comes with growth spurts. He had the hip surgery before his return to Finland IIRC.

From what I've seen, his balance does seem to be better. He still looks wobbly at times, but he looks stronger on his skates and is harder to knock off the puck. His puck protection ability also seems improved, and he's good at cutting back on the rush to gain time and space.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I didn't mean to come across as condescending, I was born in the 21st century so I definitely don't have the experience that you do. :laugh:

He had some balance issues in Edmonton, and that was probably a combination of his hip problems and the adjustment phase that comes with growth spurts. He had the hip surgery before his return to Finland IIRC.

From what I've seen, his balance does seem to be better. He still looks wobbly at times, but he looks stronger on his skates and is harder to knock off the puck. His puck protection ability also seems improved, and he's good at cutting back on the rush to gain time and space.

No issues. Thanks for the refresh on where the hip surgery and how he's coming along. A reason I did ask the question at this point is because a few clips of him making the same point shot showed that he still seemed a bit "wonky" at the finish. It might have even been due to the power he put behind the shot. It's my feeling that if he does have that much behind his shot he may have to work on controlling the balance aspect. Sometimes physics and balance don't equal out in a game situation. Especially with his previous hip issues coming into context.

Reactions: nabob and Llamamoto

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
No issues. Thanks for the refresh on where the hip surgery and how he's coming along. A reason I did ask the question at this point is because a few clips of him making the same point shot showed that he still seemed a bit "wonky" at the finish. It might have even been due to the power he put behind the shot. It's my feeling that if he does have that much behind his shot he may have to work on controlling the balance aspect. Sometimes physics and balance don't equal out in a game situation. Especially with his previous hip issues coming into context.

In Puljujärvis case I think he should use less power. He surely has hard shot but is it costing accuracy?
Dunno, just my penny of thought.

Reactions: Dorian2

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

We can't argue about the eye tests or gut feelings, but when it comes to stats it's good to notice Pulju had a lot better first season. I didn't watch Kakko's post season, but unfortunately there was no points.

As for numbers Kakko's p/60 on even strength was .756, Pulju's 1,439. Kakko had 2,5 times more PP time but his points/60 was behind Pulju. If Pulju still has a lot to prove in the NHL so does Kakko.

And Lundell... I also think his draft pick was fair and he might well be worth more, especially if he's finding his offense as it seems now. At some point he was supposed to be one of the top picks, but while his defensive game was great he couldn't get his offense going in the adults as well as some hoped. Now it looks better but as another Finn blamed Pulju for scoring his points in clumps it's also true Lundell scored 4 of his 8 goals in one game (and two were penalty shots).

I think Kotkaniemi was drafted a bit too high but I hope I'm wrong. I believe his father (a coach and former player) will do his part to keep pushing him so I hope he will develop at a steady rate and will maybe be worth his high pick a bit later.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
giphy.gif

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Yes, he was. He looked very improved and was playing like he was at the WC's, he just was unlucky and was left without a point. Go ask any Rangers fan.

Obviously he looked better in those games, but it was 3 pointless games anyway. There's been stretches of 3 games in which Pulju and many others have looked good, especially after the summer like was the case here. Kakko's season was very disappointing.

Like I said despite much more PP usage he scored points at a lower rate than Pulju in his first season. Kakko was -26, which was by far the worst number in the team. The difference to the best of the team (Panarin) was 62, which was about one per a game in that shorter season.

In fact Kakko's -26 was the 8th worst of the whole league. Imagine the crap Pulju would get for that.

Kakko has time, but so far he hasn't done much at all in the NHL. His defending needs work and he doesn't block barely any shots, so he'll need to work with more than just the offense, which I hope and believe will start to go better next season.

Last edited:

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Pulju just played against Jukurit, which is the last team in the league. Kärpät won 2-1 and Pulju scored one point. Today was a better game for him, which I guess he should have against a lower level opponent and at least today it's fair to say he could've easily scored some more points. The pass was a pretty good one, but unfortunately I don't know how to get the video here.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

watching the video clips that have been posted many time in these threads its quite obvious that his quickness, balance and mobility is vastly improved since his hip surgery.

what happens is he falls down once or takes a one timer from one knee and certain posters go off on a tangent of how he hasn’t improved at all for some reason.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
All I want to know is how balanced he looks skating? Does he look stronger? Can he protect the puck properly and for long periods? Does he engage or do the MPS butt checks and stick reach ins? I honestly don't even care what his stat line is.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
watching the video clips that have been posted many time in these threads its quite obvious that his quickness, balance and mobility is vastly improved since his hip surgery.

what happens is he falls down once or takes a one timer from one knee and certain posters go off on a tangent of how he hasn’t improved at all for some reason.

Maybe that's why there was some negative reaction to my post earlier....which is understandable since I haven't been following these threads super close. Good to know that the occasional falling or losing balance isn't an indication of his regular play right now.

Reactions: nabob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad