Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 9: 98 NO MORE! JERSEY NUMBER NERDS REJOICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
He's gonna be
download (1).jpeg

Reactions: Oilhawks

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Some of the lingering effects on the lungs of people with even minor cases of covid have me incredibly anxious about the thought of what impact it might have if a professional athlete were to get it.

I know Karpat had been in quarantine, did they ever confirm who had it? Would be curious to see how there performance on the ice afterwards is impacted. Especially with people saying JPs performance has dropped off recently.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Some of the lingering effects on the lungs of people with even minor cases of covid have me incredibly anxious about the thought of what impact it might have if a professional athlete were to get it.

I know Karpat had been in quarantine, did they ever confirm who had it? Would be curious to see how there performance on the ice afterwards is impacted. Especially with people saying JPs performance has dropped off recently.

Hopefully if he and his teammates had it, the effects are only short term.

Reactions: PulYou and Whyme

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta

Sadly cant see this game but
my friend from Oulu said Jesses HEALTH is fine.

Today he was said to he totally lost and doing those icebandy turns. Wide ones.
Atleat this what my friend told me.
He is quite huge Kärpät fan so I trust his word in this.

Dunno.
More like problems in head. You know, he has to be superb as he has NHL contract?

Edit. Game still on so. Sorry typos. At wc...

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Hopefully he comes in with a good attitude and work ethic. That would be a pleasant surprise and could provide him some fan buy in.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Hopefully he comes in with a good attitude and work ethic. That would be a pleasant surprise and could provide him some fan buy in.
There’s lots more healthy competition for him now , especially in comparison to when he last played here so he better come ready to work his ass off.

On the other hand , he will be playing with more skilled players this time around, so that’ll help his chances to succeed.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
We know covid spreads easily and obviously the guy sitting next to him in the locker room had the virus (he's still not playing).

Still not a great game, but Pulju had some strong shifts especially at the end of the game and while his goal was lucky he was pretty close to scoring (and also getting an assist) a bit before it.

He hasn't been at his very best lately, but while I know it sounds like explaining (which I guess it technically is) Pulju has always been at his best when it looks like he puts 100% effort to the game. After signing the contract with the Oilers it's been more like 95% concentration bringing a 50% result (a saying by a local Don Cherry).

I can't help but think that maybe he's afraid of injuries, his mind is already half-way towards Edmonton or maybe the Oilers have specifically told him to try to avoid injuries. It's such a strange situation to have someone play in Finland and know he'll be going to the NHL after a while. It seems like the NHL players who have a steady place waiting are having a more difficult time in the FEL at least on even strength, but the players who are fighting for a roster place in the NHL do better.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Like I said Pulju could play better and maybe there's some proper reasons behind it (covid, no training during the quarantine, both defenders out, contract with the Oilers) or maybe there isn't, but for a bust he's not doing that badly at least statistically.

Even with these quieter games he's on pace for 40 goals per full season, which would be the highest number for over 20 years.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Pulju doesn't have to come here and be a savior. If he can just be a Joel Armia that's a huge win for us (Strong two way play and 0.4-0.5ppg)

That doesn't feel like too big of a stretch.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
What's rare about Joel Armia?

Honest question.
Ability to get puck from other team, hold on that puck. And this with low penalty minutes.
Armia is one of the strongest players in this. Sadly he cant score well enough.(16 goals last season though, dont think it lasts)
What makes this even more special is that he was quite a one trick pony and basicly learned a totally new role to be NHL player.

Puljujärvi had problems holding puck in straight skating last time here, without pressure. So quite a long road to Armia.

Last edited:

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011

Highlights show him being used as a one timer on the powerplay. I'd only like to see him on PP1 if we have an injury, but if he gets a chance hopefully he thrives.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Puljujärvi will score 2+1 to night as their opponent is SaiPa.

SaiPa actually has pretty solid defending and goalkeeping. They've let 32 goals, which is the 5th best (tied with two other teams) in the league. Their problem is in scoring goals. But let's hope your guess is right :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad