Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 9: 98 NO MORE! JERSEY NUMBER NERDS REJOICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
SaiPa actually has pretty solid defending and goalkeeping. They've let 32 goals, which is the 5th best (tied with two other teams) in the league. Their problem is in scoring goals. But let's hope your guess is right :)
Well I am actually half Finnish and born in Lappeenranta, so I hope you are wrong :P

SaiPa cant get puck out of their own zone. Game is just horrible. Though last game was actually decent...

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Well I am actually half Finnish and born in Lappeenranta, so I hope you are wrong :P

SaiPa cant get puck out of their own zone. Game is just horrible. Though last game was actually decent...

It's OT, but I actually think SaiPa has usually done a very good job for the resources they have. If I could choose one team to win a suprise championship it would be SaiPa. At the moment it's a long way of course, but I hope that day will come.

I guess we both could live with Jesse scoring 2+1 in a game that's a 4-3 OT win to SaiPa ;) I'd rather have that 4-3 to Kärpät, but I'll be kind and give that extra point to you and SaiPa :)

Reactions: tellermine

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
It's OT, but I actually think SaiPa has usually done a very good job for the resources they have. If I could choose one team to win a suprise championship it would be SaiPa. At the moment it's a long way of course, but I hope that day will come.

I guess we both could live with Jesse scoring 2+1 in a game that's a 4-3 OT win to SaiPa ;) I'd rather have that 4-3 to Kärpät, but I'll be kind and give that extra point to you and SaiPa :)
Ill take it! :D

Reactions: Whyme

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Ill take it! :D

Congratulations, full points to Lappeenranta! I get some pleasure knowing you enjoyed the result, for me it was a double loss with Pulju and Kärpät scoring no points :) Pulju had some chances (one post and a failed shot away from assists), but no points to him or anyone else in the team as the result was 0-1.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Congratulations, full points to Lappeenranta! I get some pleasure knowing you enjoyed the result, for me it was a double loss with Pulju and Kärpät scoring no points :) Pulju had some chances (one post and a failed shot away from assists), but no points to him or anyone else in the team as the result was 0-1.
Did not see this one but Kärpät goalie had 10 saves... Lehterä hockey right there!!!
Though win us a win!

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Was a garbage goal by the goalie to let in, most of Pulju's points/goals that he gets in Liiga will never transition into the NHL, he's way too clumbsy but still somehow manages to score good points on a stacked team.
Oh lets listen to Mr. Scout Master over here. What an absolutely moronic take, though.

Reactions: Del Preston

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Oh lets listen to Mr. Scout Master over here. What an absolutely moronic take, though.
I have to agree with him, you haven't watched every game last and this year but I have.
And I agree. The way Pulju is scoring points right now will not be viable in the NHL. He got 6 points in 2 3rd periods and he has been a literal ghost otherwise. Bad penalties and as a consequence, no penalty kill time, although that was one supposed thing he was going to work on.

And when it comes to points.. ever since he signed his deal, he has had 1 goal in 6 games with atrocious games. He has not had real impact at all in these games, and he has not backchecked, checked or used his skill to progress the game at all.

I don't think he's showing progress at all, more regress than anything.

But he still can pick himself up, and actually start trying and playing the game instead of just skating long strides outside the game.

Last edited:

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I have to agree with him, you haven't watched every game last and this year but I have.
And I agree. The way Pulju is scoring points right now will not be viable in the NHL. He got 6 points in 2 3rd periods and he has been a literal ghost otherwise. Bad penalties and as a consequence, no penalty kill time, although that was one supposed thing he was going to work on.

And when it comes to points.. ever since he signed his deal, he has had 1 goal in 6 games with atrocious games. He has not had real impact at all in these games, and he has not backchecked, checked or used his skill to progress the game at all.

But he still can pick himself up, and actually start trying and playing the game instead of just skating long strides outside the game.

Not surprised to see you here, but I'd like to add my bit and correct your "facts". Despite him not playing his very best hockey his stats since the contract have been even historically good, but I'll go to details later.

There's been lots of chances for Pulju to score "normal" looking points in the last games. Some great passes and some good shots, but this time the one ending to the net was one that didn't please you.

You said he doesn't do penalty kill, which is not true. Sure the minutes aren't huge, certainly at least partly because his offense is important to the team, but he's had 7:14 of PK time in 10 games.

You said he's scored one goal since signing his deal. He's actually scored 5 goals in 8 games since the deal. That would average 38 goals per full season, which would be the highest number since Teemu Selänne 19 years ago.

Also since signing the deal he is +4, which is not a big deal considering the sample size, but it would equal to +30 per full season, which would be the highest number in the FEL about every other year.

I also believe signing the contract has affected his game, but I also understand why it does so and for sure these numbers don't look bad do they?

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Yeh we get it. Another Fin taken 10 picks too soon ala Juolevi, Kakko, Kotka and recently Lundell. They sure look good pre-draft.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Not surprised to see you here, but I'd like to add my bit and correct your "facts". Despite him not playing his very best hockey his stats since the contract have been even historically good, but I'll go to details later.

There's been lots of chances for Pulju to score "normal" looking points in the last games. Some great passes and some good shots, but this time the one ending to the net was one that didn't please you.

You said he doesn't do penalty kill, which is not true. Sure the minutes aren't huge, certainly at least partly because his offense is important to the team, but he's had 7:14 of PK time in 10 games.

You said he's scored one goal since signing his deal. He's actually scored 5 goals in 8 games since the deal. That would average 38 goals per full season, which would be the highest number since Teemu Selänne 19 years ago.

Also since signing the deal he is +4, which is not a big deal considering the sample size, but it would equal to +30 per full season, which would be the highest number in the FEL about every other year.

I also believe signing the contract has affected his game, but I also understand why it does so and for sure these numbers don't look bad do they?
''You said he's scored one goal since signing his deal. He's actually scored 5 goals in 8 games since the deal.''
Yes, he has. But he has also looked absolutely awful outside those 4 goals he scored in 2 3rd periods of 2 games. He has been an offensive ghost otherwise with no real production, and he can't really elevate his shot all that often.
But I specified that he's had these 6 games after he has signed his deal, and his game has stagnated completely after the deal. I'm not wrong at all. You can't point to his game being great right now at any facet of it.

The PK part was probably badly written by me, but I did it to bring up how he's been getting frustrated and getting penalized.

The plus-minus part of your argument is so badly thought out my guy, he has had only 2 games in this season where he has been a + player. Again, the last 6 games he has played, he has been a collective -3 across 3 different games. The other three he's been +/- 0. Across a full season, he would end up being +30 yes, but if he scores in 2 games and then cools off for a long time, he can't be depended on to create offense, and the +/- stat he would have would be totally misleading.

I would like to believe he's set his sights on Edmonton, but if this is his real compete level, the Oilers got another thing coming.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Highlights show him being used as a one timer on the powerplay. I'd only like to see him on PP1 if we have an injury, but if he gets a chance hopefully he thrives.

So I'm a lot behind on this, but I have a question. What do you guys think about the, as I see it, habit of Pulju going down to one knee after the shot from that position? I've seen him do it on a few recent vids lately, but the last one before this seemed to be more of a "going off balance" issue. This one he seems to have a more controlled move doing the same thing. Were the other ones blips, or has he been working on his body positioning and balance while in Finland? It seemed atrocious when he was here in Edmonton from what I remember.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
So I'm a lot behind on this, but I have a question. What do you guys think about the, as I see it, habit of Pulju going down to one knee after the shot from that position? I've seen him do it on a few recent vids lately, but the last one before this seemed to be more of a "going off balance" issue. This one he seems to have a more controlled move doing the same thing. Were the other ones blips, or has he been working on his body positioning and balance while in Finland? It seemed atrocious when he was here in Edmonton from what I remember.

That's a common way to take one-timers...

It helps you lean into the shot more and it helps elevate the puck.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
''You said he's scored one goal since signing his deal. He's actually scored 5 goals in 8 games since the deal.''
Yes, he has. But he has also looked absolutely awful outside those 4 goals he scored in 2 3rd periods of 2 games. He has been an offensive ghost otherwise with no real production, and he can't really elevate his shot all that often.
But I specified that he's had these 6 games after he has signed his deal, and his game has stagnated completely after the deal. I'm not wrong at all. You can't point to his game being great right now at any facet of it.

The PK part was probably badly written by me, but I did it to bring up how he's been getting frustrated and getting penalized.

The plus-minus part of your argument is so badly thought out my guy, he has had only 2 games in this season where he has been a + player. Again, the last 6 games he has played, he has been a collective -3 across 3 different games. The other three he's been +/- 0. Across a full season, he would end up being +30 yes, but if he scores in 2 games and then cools off for a long time, he can't be depended on to create offense, and the +/- stat he would have would be totally misleading.

I would like to believe he's set his sights on Edmonton, but if this is his real compete level, the Oilers got another thing coming.

I won't fight about eye tests as that's a useless fight anyway. I just wanted to point you were wrong with your statement that after signing the contract he's scored just one goal when the fact was since it he's scored goals in a rate that would be the best since Selänne for a full season. It's quite a difference you know.

You also bring the penalties. A couple of stupid penalties won't make him a useless player, in fact he's got 10 penalty minutes in the 10 games he's played, which is nothing that unusual for the minutes he's playing.

Like I wrote earlier NHL players with contracts seem to be having a hard time in the FEL. That seems to be a pattern and I've always thought Pulju needs to be completely in the game to play his best hockey. I admit he does some things when he's not in and those moments remind that he's still got some way to go.

While I agree with some of the things you said it should also be noted that just about every night he's stealing more pucks and creating more offense than the others. While I agree these haven't been his best games I honestly think he's rather been unlucky with scoring points.

There's also a more positive way to see things and it's that even though he's not playing as well as he's done in his best he's scoring goals and points at a good rate. That's a sign of a great prospect. However, that's also a sign that he needs do to more in some areas as I agree he'll need to be at his best in the Oilers, which he hasn't done lately.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Like I said before, Jesse is looking like a 10-15G 30-45 point player (at least) so far and the Oilers will take that and run. Next season is when I’d expect him to make or break as a top 6 rather than top 9 player

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That's a common way to take one-timers...

It helps you lean into the shot more and it helps elevate the puck.
I can't believe that's not understood.

McDavid ends up on his knee half the time he slaps it, does he have bad balance too?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

So what you're saying is if you take away all his good plays, he only makes bad plays?

If you get rid of all mcdavids goals, hes a 0 goal guy, what a loser.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
So what you're saying is if you take away all his good plays, he only makes bad plays?

If you get rid of all mcdavids goals, hes a 0 goal guy, what a loser.
That would be what you guys are doing, because he's scored 6 points in 2 games out of 10 games, he's surely that (the 2 points in 6 games) player, without seeing the games, only blinded by your fandom. I'm a Kärpät fan who hyped the f*** out of Jesse, but not ahead of Laine. I watch the games. I report what I see. He's not performing up to his expectations. You wouldn't want a player who clearly struggles in Liiga to do the same in the NHL, even in a reduced role.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Like I said before, Jesse is looking like a 10-15G 30-45 point player (at least) so far and the Oilers will take that and run. Next season is when I’d expect him to make or break as a top 6 rather than top 9 player

I think that'll really depend on where he plays and if he has PP. It also depends on how his confidence is and if he'll be as dependant on it as before. I hope and believe he's more mature with that now, but we'll see.

It's hard to say what his level really is at the moment as I expected his game to change when he signs a contract. Pulju had a few really great games in the Oilers, in which he was confident and flying all over the ice. He's developed in many areas so I'm optimistic he'll be ready to fill his role whether that's in the 3rd line or the 1st line with McDavid.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
That would be what you guys are doing, because he's scored 6 points in 2 games out of 10 games, he's surely that (the 2 points in 6 games) player, without seeing the games, only blinded by your fandom. I'm a Kärpät fan who hyped the f*** out of Jesse, but not ahead of Laine. I watch the games. I report what I see. He's not performing up to his expectations. You wouldn't want a player who clearly struggles in Liiga to do the same in the NHL, even in a reduced role.

What I don't like is the attitude "look guys, I know it and you're wrong, I'm watching the games". Some of us others are also watching the games and see a lot of positive things you seem to be missing (which hasn't been a surprise for a long while actually).

You keep picking and modifying the stats to suit your view. It's like Pulju's stats or goals are always done in a wrong way. When the player shoots a lot (Pulju's shot more than anyone else in the team) or his corsi is high (Pulju's 62% is the highest of the team) there'll be some weaker looking goals/points. With the offensive work those points are well deserved too.

All in all I honestly think he's rather been unlucky and could have more points, but then again some of the weaker shifts aren't seen in that stat anyway.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I think that'll really depend on where he plays and if he has PP. It also depends on how his confidence is and if he'll be as dependant on it as before. I hope and believe he's more mature with that now, but we'll see.

It's hard to say what his level really is at the moment as I expected his game to change when he signs a contract. Pulju had a few really great games in the Oilers, in which he was confident and flying all over the ice. He's developed in many areas so I'm optimistic he'll be ready to fill his role whether that's in the 3rd line or the 1st line with McDavid.

I was at the infamous St Louis game where he lost the puck at the line, St Louis scored and mounted a comeback to win. Saw him slump and wonder if that was also the game that Lucic reportedly said something to him (not positive). Felt like it was the turning point for him as he looked good before that (including in the game). On a side note I felt like that was St Louis’ turning point to coming back on the season and winning the Cup.

Confidence will be key with him (like for most people in most things). Luckily he has more supportive players and a good coach to help him achieve his potential. I believe in him. Just tempering expectations in that I think he will be a 3rd line player this season (which is good!)

Reactions: Whyme

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
What I don't like is the attitude "look guys, I know it and you're wrong, I'm watching the games". Some of us others are also watching the games and see a lot of positive things you seem to be missing (which hasn't been a surprise for a long while actually).

You keep picking and modifying the stats to suit your view. It's like Pulju's stats or goals are always done in a wrong way. When the player shoots a lot (Pulju's shot more than anyone else in the team) or his corsi is high (Pulju's 62% is the highest of the team) there'll be some weaker looking goals/points. With the offensive work those points are well deserved too.

All in all I honestly think he's rather been unlucky and could have more points, but then again some of the weaker shifts aren't seen in that stat anyway.
Puljujärvi has scored 6 of his points in 2 periods when he has played 10 games. 2 periods of play versus 360 minutes of play from him. That's the 6 awful games he has had. In almost every game he has been very bland, fumbling the puck and mostly running into the defenders and losing the puck.

He has not broken into the opposing end with speed and he rarely can get by the defender to get a shot on the inside. He's doing virtually nothing to benefit the team right now. You simply can't deny that. He's killing the offense of the 1st line.

Finnish posters can be a gloomy lot. The more I read the more I want to start drinking.
Sorry that I'm not letting Jesse off the hook just because he's a part of the team I'm a fan of.
Liiga shouldn't be so hard to do okay in for a player of his caliber.

Stop defending his horrible play lately, and wait to see if he can turn his game for the better, even on a smaller scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad