Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 9: 98 NO MORE! JERSEY NUMBER NERDS REJOICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
At first I kind of thought that about him as a player but looking at his stats....467 GP, 62 -62 - 124

That's a career so kudos to him.

I will always remember that pre season game against the Bolts where he scored his hat trick and thought we had found gold.
Even after his first season I felt really good about him. Sadly he followed the Sam Gagner, Andrew Cogliano trend we had going here of never really building off your first year.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
First of all I want to emphasize I'm not trying to push Jesse, I'd rather be patient now. But this is for the ones who like all kinds of stats:

There is an incredibly long article in Jatkoaika, the biggest Finnish hockey site/forum (amatour run), about him. It analyses his game with great details and talks about stats (players with less than 100 minutes excluded).

Jesse's ixG/60 (the amount of Expected Goals generated by an individual player) is the 2nd highest in all of NHL. Different stats mentioned in the article are among the best of the team, usually top3 and first in many of them (CF/60, xGA/60, xGF%). It also shows that CF% and xGF% of the first line are much better now that Pulju plays in it. However, this isn't reflected in the GF%, but the writer finds reasons for this and seems sure this will inevidently change if the first line keeps playing like this.

Goals are goals and assists are assists etc. I'm not making a huge deal of these small stats, but for sure they are promising.

Jesse Puljujärvi tuli toiseen NHL-yritykseensä muuttuneena miehenä – Connor McDavidin vierellä on kaikki eväät jättipottiin

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
First of all I want to emphasize I'm not trying to push Jesse, I'd rather be patient now. But this is for the ones who like all kinds of stats:

There is an incredibly long article in Jatkoaika, the biggest Finnish hockey site/forum (amatour run), about him. It analyses his game with great details and talks about stats (players with less than 100 minutes excluded).

Jesse's ixG/60 (the amount of Expected Goals generated by an individual player) is the 2nd highest in all of NHL. Different stats mentioned in the article are among the best of the team, usually top3 and first in many of them (CF/60, xGA/60, xGF%). It also shows that CF% and xGF% of the first line are much better now that Pulju plays in it. However, this isn't reflected in the GF%, but the writer finds reasons for this and seems sure this will inevidently change if the first line keeps playing like this.

Goals are goals and assists are assists etc. I'm not making a huge deal of these small stats, but for sure they are promising.

Jesse Puljujärvi tuli toiseen NHL-yritykseensä muuttuneena miehenä – Connor McDavidin vierellä on kaikki eväät jättipottiin

I think that most of us will agree that he has been good albeit somewhat snake bitten this season so far. That said, he will be judged on his point totals and his lines success at seasons end. Hopefully he continues to work hard and gets better and better as the season progresses.

Reactions: harpoon and Whyme

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

The key thing for me in JPs very good underlying stats thus far is that they look VERY good. Its not just "hes doing solid relative to teammates for chances created", it's that he doing exceptional leaguewide.

I understand that goals and production do all the talking. But if he keeps posting thes underlying number by playing the way he has, the goals will come in bunches

I'd rather have him post these amazing underlying numbers with low goal totals vs going on a 10 game goal scoring heater and posting crappy underlying numbers and relying on puck luck. The former is typically sustainable, the latter is not (*cough* Chaisson)

On a side note:The coaches know better than I, but I'd like to see him on the PP in the net front spot. Hes a net front presence with his size and hes got puck handling and retrieval skills. If he can do it as good as Chaisson or Neal, why not try him there. Seems anybody in that spot racks up points while McDrai does all the actual work

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I'll need to go to bed @Bryanbryoil and @Aceboogie but I agree with you guys. Hopefully also the points will keep coming now, not as much without PP of course, but still at a pretty steady level. Anyway, at least the pretty universally noted "he's looked good" is seen in those stats.

If anyone wants to see some details you may open the link just to see the level of analysis, it's pretty thorough I would say :) I dare to say it's a very safe page, like I said it's the leading Finnish hockey site. It also shows things in which you don't need the language, like pictures from attacks and goals, isolated 5 on 5 impact etc.

The game comes from TV tonight but as it starts at 5am here I record it and watch in the morning. Enjoy the game guys, should be a great one!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'll need to go to bed @Bryanbryoil and @Aceboogie but I agree with you guys. Hopefully also the points will keep coming now, not as much without PP of course, but still at a pretty steady level. Anyway, at least the pretty universally noted "he's looked good" is seen in those stats.

If anyone wants to see some details you may open the link just to see the level of analysis, it's pretty thorough I would say :) I dare to say it's a very safe page, like I said it's the leading Finnish hockey site. It also shows things in which you don't need the language, like pictures from attacks and goals, isolated 5 on 5 impact etc.

The game comes from TV tonight but as it starts at 5am here I record it and watch in the morning. Enjoy the game guys, should be a great one!

Good night, here's to hoping that Jesse and the Oilers have a great showing and a big win tonight.

Reactions: Whyme

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Great goal by Pulju, and great give and go with McDavid.

Last time Jesse was here, he would have passed in tight to McDavid, McDavid would have tried to skate with it instead of returning the puck, and eighteen posters would be complaining about Jesse skating into traffic and having no IQ.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
All it took was playing him with talented players on the top 6 and not bottom 6 scrubs like Lucic or Turris.

giphy.gif

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Jesse is becoming a f***ing beast. Feels pretty good being one of the few who didn't throw him under the bus when he suffered from apparent hip issues last time around.
...and a hip surgery, and playing in minors (Finland), and learning the language little better, and maturing ;)

Attachments

• 54212355_390925124795337_6605047569730502602_n.mp4
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He's looking really confident out there. Really happy for the kid. When Tippett put him out there with McDavid on the 4 on 4, he looked amazing. All over the ice hounding pucks and trying to make plays.

Hope he keeps going. Needs to work on his finish a little more (obviously the goal today was awesome to see). He's without a doubt the best option now in that top RW spot.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
A great game tonight. Beauty goal showing some touch with McDavid. STRONG and committed net front presence and went hard into the greasy areas. Took no shit from Tkatchuk and did not back down. His game is coming together. Using his size and speed effectively no longer looping on the ice but making straight line, confident reads. A bright spot which featured a lot of self induced shitty play that ended with goals in their net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad