Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 9: 98 NO MORE! JERSEY NUMBER NERDS REJOICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
With maturity will come a more stocky and solid body. This isn't a slight player to begin with, physical maturity and strength probably has to do with his gains in on-ice-play. If Puljujarvi wants a full time top six roster spot he has to impose his will with that big frame.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
So ....ungainly, perimeter, intimidated by lack of time and space, quite good defensively with room to improve, able to get the puck and hang onto it....has decent shot that is improving.
Sounds very much like a third line guy that has potential for episodic top 6 play/powerplay time.
Not able to impose his will on other players...this is one of the areas that AHL time would/can improve.

This player sounds much like a very good third line guy with some offensive upside. Holland and company probably pretty happy with that for our bottom six. Problem is this player not going to like it.
I doubt if Holland promised him a place in the top 6...but he probably promised him a shot or two.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
So ....ungainly, perimeter, intimidated by lack of time and space, quite good defensively with room to improve, able to get the puck and hang onto it....has decent shot that is improving.
Sounds very much like a third line guy that has potential for episodic top 6 play/powerplay time.
Not able to impose his will on other players...this is one of the areas that AHL time would/can improve.

This player sounds much like a very good third line guy with some offensive upside. Holland and company probably pretty happy with that for our bottom six. Problem is this player not going to like it.
I doubt if Holland promised him a place in the top 6...but he probably promised him a shot or two.

Few reports from Oulu say that Jesse circles at middle ice. Does not sound to sweet for 3rd. liner.

But yes. Of he gets his shit together in Edmonton 3rd. line sounds about right.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

JP said he is happy with any role. I assume it meant he was told hes going to the third line. Hes paid that way. But the hope is that he will get lots of chances to move up, which is just obvious on our team.

He cant go to the AHL btw. We'd lose him on waivers

Reactions: PulYou and nabob

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
JP said he is happy with any role. I assume it meant he was told hes going to the third line. Hes paid that way. But the hope is that he will get lots of chances to move up, which is just obvious on our team.

That also means that he will be stampled with Turris, wich I think is a good thing. Turris seems to be a smart and relaxed guy, with the knowledge of being unable to find the right gear. And rounding out with a type of ex. Archibald, or Nygård (if healthy) would be ideal. Ennis could work, Ennis jnderstands offense and the NA style. Could do well.

So that roonds out the top 9. Still ko RW shooter for McDavid, if not Neal puts his shit together.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta

Yes your right. Perhaps some coaching beyond normal practices with the team. Hard to fit in this coming year with games going to be so tight but he obviously needs to work on forcing his way to the slot areas and being calm ...some of this will come from positive feedback from success but i think he needs ongoing encouragement from a personal coach?

Reactions: PulYou

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
That also means that he will be stampled with Turris, wich I think is a good thing. Turris seems to be a smart and relaxed guy, with the knowledge of being unable to find the right gear. And rounding out with a type of ex. Archibald, or Nygård (if healthy) would be ideal. Ennis could work, Ennis jnderstands offense and the NA style. Could do well.

So that roonds out the top 9. Still ko RW shooter for McDavid, if not Neal puts his shit together.
Actually being stapled to Turris wont be possible. Turris is going to spend a fair amount of time (30-35% my guess) up on McDavids LW. This might be good for Jesse as most likely with personnel we have now JJ would fill in. So at times we are likely to see...

Ennis/Kahun JJ Pulju

and while JJ can pass he is no general--lacks vision and finishing as well. This will provide opportunity for Jesse. JJ can be that net presence and Jesse can shoot from the circle. Problem for Jesse is that in the offensive zone if he falters alot ...then Neal likely to start getting most of the Ozone starts on this line (when Turris is up).

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Jesse Puljujarvi ready to prove himself with return to Edmonton Oilers - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca

There were more posts that had links to an interview he did in Finland that went even further into depth about how he’s been promised nothing and expects to be handed nothing, that he needs to earn his spot.

Reactions: snipes

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Coaching ...the above goon post is likely Jesse responding to calls for him to be more aggressive ....with direction and proper encouragement maybe this could turn into a good thing. If this young man approaches the game with the right attitude and they find him a good one on one coach he could improve his game alot--the putty is there to work with,

Reactions: PulYou

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Welcome to Seattle

bdd.jpg

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

The reality is that he'll make more as a 3rd liner in the NHL than as a 1st liner in the SEL. So while his pride may not like it much, his bank account will.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I still believe it isn't coincidence players with "real" NHL contracts are having a hard time in the FEL, especially on even strength when one can't be too scared of injuries and has to be fully involved in every shift. Pulju's highs are extermely high, but lately he's had more low moments too.

In fact he's still on pace for 28 goals per full season, which would've put him 2nd in the FEL last season. His corsi is 62,6% which is exactly the same he had last year when he had the highest number of the league. He's either passed (primary assist) or scored 4 out of the last 8 goals Kärpät has scored so it hasn't been all bad. It depends on the angle and lately Pulju has been feeding both sides of it.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
I still believe it isn't coincidence players with "real" NHL contracts are having a hard time in the FEL, especially on even strength when one can't be too scared of injuries and has to be fully involved in every shift. Pulju's highs are extermely high, but lately he's had more low moments too.

In fact he's still on pace for 28 goals per full season, which would've put him 2nd in the FEL last season. His corsi is 62,6% which is exactly the same he had last year when he had the highest number of the league. He's either passed (primary assist) or scored 4 out of the last 8 goals Kärpät has scored so it hasn't been all bad. It depends on the angle and lately Pulju has been feeding both sides of it.

He has not looked as dominant as he looked last season or this pre-season. He has not been so eager to get on ice and his shifts has been shorter as opposed last season. Now he has been almost always the first one of his line back on bench. Totally opposite from last season.

I am still wondering why he missed the last pre-season game. There were rumours about a minor injury. Or is this Manner coaching him to be more consistent and being able to regulate his emotions when playing?

Never the less I am with You that he still has been able to be the best player of the team. It is just so, that when we know how overwhelming he can be we come to expect it from him on every game.

Hopefully the NHL season starts soon!

Reactions: Oilhawks and Whyme

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
While Finland hasn't had as many covid cases as most other European countries there was another case/cases in Kärpät so Pulju won't be playing for a while. Just letting you guys know so won't wonder if there's no news about him...

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Jesse is goon now.[/QUOTE]

Etymology of goon:

The word goon may have originated in the 1580s as gony, meaning a “simpleton.” E.C. ... Around the same time and likely due to Segar's influence, goons came to refer to not just foolish or clumsy people but also physically imposing ones, especially hired muscle.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
It was a false positive so Kärpät will play their next game on Saturday. It was a quick test and I saw a headline where the team's GM said they won't be using those ones anymore after this case.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Jesse is goon now.

Etymology of goon:

The word goon may have originated in the 1580s as gony, meaning a “simpleton.” E.C. ... Around the same time and likely due to Segar's influence, goons came to refer to not just foolish or clumsy people but also physically imposing ones, especially hired muscle.[/QUOTE]

haha. Unlikely Jesse will ever be seriously be considered a goon in hockey. It's a funny remark considering his overall playing style though.

Reactions: Laodongxi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->