Jesse Puljujarvi Part 7: No NHL in '19-20 for Jesse P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Unless we get a good trade return I'd tell him that we aren't trading him for scraps, we could use a player of his skill set on our team so he is welcome to come and play for us for the season and if things aren't working out for him or the team we could look at a trade.
Yup, good stuff. Glad Holland is taking this route. If pool has to play in Europe for the next 5 years, due to the logistics and variables of the situation, it's too bad for everyone.

I'm not trading this talent and high pick for scrapes. It's a business position that has nothing to do with personal like.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Puljujarvi did not break any contract he just did not want to sign a new contract.

Would not sign what the Oilers offered and that is his right.

NHL says do what you are told or you are not going to work anywhere. Even had to get permission to play in Europe.

Because of NHL monopoly...

Plenty of reasons why players becoming an RFA after their first contract makes sense. Otherwise teams would develop all their prospects and just lose them for nothing to free agency....

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Puljujarvi did not break any contract he just did not want to sign a new contract.

NHL says do what you are told or you are not going to work anywhere. Even had to get permission to play in Europe.

Really ? Cant pool play where he wants without an NHL contract ? He should be allowed to play in russia or where ever (besides nhl).

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

I do not believe this is accurate.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

The NHL does not have a monopoly. There are many other pro leagues that a player can play in. They are simply the highest regarded. And since he is indeed working as a pro player it seems evident that they cannot prevent him from making money as a hockey player. The NHL did not give him permission to do so. He was free to sign in Europe.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
well, show me a nice goal then? to be perfectly honest this may be the first time I posted in this thread about him and its certainly the first the goal I've seen of him this year and the defending of all star game quality. I don't know what else to say?

should I say nice goal?

you realize that it’s wasn’t Puljujarvi that scored so...

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I didn’t. I didn’t watch closely. So I guess that shows I don’t have an anti pulju bias if I still think that’s all star game defending.
Lol ok. Thanks for commenting on a play that you didn’t watch closely at all, kinda shows you do have a bias as you don’t even know what you’re commenting on :laugh:

Did you realize it was a PP goal?

was actually pretty tightly checked on the play and made some nice puck handling moves.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Lol ok. Thanks for commenting on a play that you didn’t watch closely at all, kinda shows you do have a bias as you don’t even know what you’re commenting on :laugh:

Did you realize it was a PP goal?

was actually pretty tightly checked on the play and made some nice puck handling moves.

The other aspect of this is that if people looked at many NHL goals but with the uniforms modified to disguise the teams and league a lot of them "would never be scored in the NHL".

Reactions: Aerrol and Zaddy

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Really ? Cant pool play where he wants without an NHL contract ? He should be allowed to play in russia or where ever (besides nhl).
He can, this is not accurate, the only reason Lias Andersson for example had to get permission was because he’s under contract, Puljuarvi can do literally whatever he wants when he’s not under contract and we just retain his rights. It’s funny that poster has no idea what a monopoly actually is, the NHL isn’t controlling any market, the NHL is just the most popular league.

Reactions: oilexport

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Good for him if he’s found a situation to help him get better. However there’s no reason for the oilers to do anything that doesn’t benefit them.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The other aspect of this is that if people looked at many NHL goals but with the uniforms modified to disguise the teams and league a lot of them "would never be scored in the NHL".

I was trying to think of a way to say that but you did it perfectly. Half the goals scored in the NHL are because a Dman got beat Made terrible turnover or a goalie let in a soft goal.

Reactions: Zaddy

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I was trying to think of a way to say that but you did it perfectly. Half the goals scored in the NHL are because a Dman got beat Made terrible turnover or a goalie let in a soft goal.

Exactly. It's a very high quality league, but there's mistakes all the time. When you play a huge amount of games against good players in a tight rink that's bound to happen.

And by the way, Puljujarvi did score the goal. The director took it wrong, but obviously it went straight in. I think it was a bit of an accident, but I also think it showed a nice vision as I thought he clearly managed to see Pyörälä by the goal and passed the puck quickly. Those are things Pulju has been doing pretty much in Finland, he sees quick opportunities and utilizises them faster than just about all the others in the league.

Nice to see the Oilers do so well again!

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
It’s funny that someone says the same thing about every single goal Jesse has either scored or set up this season that has been posted on here.

crazy how much it burns people to just admit he made even one nice play :laugh: they probably feel like they’re having to compliment their ex.
The goals/plays I’ve seen of Puljujarvi this year aren’t that impressive. I haven’t seen that many, but the ones I’ve seen posted here are mostly meh and I don’t feel they would translate well in the NHL.

Even if I don’t see his development being very encouraging, playing in Liiga was a smart move and big guys like him take longer to figure it out, so it’s not hopeless.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The goals/plays I’ve seen of Puljujarvi this year aren’t that impressive. I haven’t seen that many, but the ones I’ve seen posted here are mostly meh and I don’t feel they would translate well in the NHL.

Even if I don’t see his development being very encouraging, playing in Liiga was a smart move and big guys like him take longer to figure it out, so it’s not hopeless.

some of them have been soft or poor defending. This one definitely wasn’t. Watching a NHL game most often less than half the goals scored are because of dominant skill, it’s usually taking advantage of an opponents mistake.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
some of them have been soft or poor defending. This one definitely wasn’t. Watching a NHL game most often less than half the goals scored are because of dominant skill, it’s usually taking advantage of an opponents mistake.
That’s debatable as I thought it was pretty slow defense. I liked the comparison of NHL all-star defense.
Its not like Puljujarvi slowed the game down either.

I have interest in him because he is in my pool but up to know I am not that impressed with the few things I have seen. But, still hopeful it gives him enough confidence to bring his game up to NHL level at some point. As I said, big guys line him take longer.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That’s debatable as I thought it was pretty slow defense. I liked the comparison of NHL all-star defense.
Its not like Puljujarvi slowed the game down either.

I have interest in him because he is in my pool but up to know I am not that impressed with the few things I have seen. But, still hopeful it gives him enough confidence to bring his game up to NHL level at some point. As I said, big guys line him take longer.

it was on the PP. you don’t usually see multiple players quickly attack the puck carrier...

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Still amazed he doesn't fumble the puck while deking in the O-zone... lol. His puck protection skills have improved also.

I think one of the many differences between other leagues and the NHL is just how little time you have to make decisions in the NHL. You can see where in this play it would have been broken up too. Right at the 11 second mark he fumbles it for a second and that's where he normally would lose the puck in the NHL.

Not to critique the big picture of the play. He got it done...it was a really nice play start to finish, but you can see see echoes of his previous play.

Reactions: Aerrol and frag2

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
At this point I’d trade Puljujarvi for anyone, Domi, Zucker, Hall I don’t care but Holland needs to make a love before his value slips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad