Jesse Puljujarvi Part 7: No NHL in '19-20 for Jesse P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Nothing happens and the players act like children.

English accent. “It’s been 55 minutes and the score is nil to nil with 1 shot on net”

it’s not for everyone... or maybe it is since it’s the most watched and played sport around the globe.

no less children than hockey players who take embellishing penalties as well.

if you don’t like it you don’t like it, though.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Let's not forget about his double hip surgery this offseason.

I think Holland will do everything in his power, and more, to try and convince Puljujarvi to show up to training camp here next year. Would be a huge boon.
Holland would definitely rather have him bust here then go somewhere else and risk him becoming a solid player. He has talent. He’s only 21 and he’s arguably the best player in the Liiga. Holland just recently said again that the door is still open for Jesse to come back next season, and that if not he will follow the same path as the last one, see if he gets a solid offer, if not he can choose to either come back and play in Edmonton or spend another year in Europe.

Reactions: harpoon

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
it’s not for everyone... or maybe it is since it’s the most watched and played sport around the globe.

if you don’t like it you don’t like it, though.
Did you really compare the odd embellishing penalty in hockey to the embarrassing diving/rolling around crying issue they have in soccer? Not even close man.

Its not from lack of trying. I have tried to like it but I just can’t stand it.

Reactions: dss97

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I don't get this way of thinking that the Oilers are infallible. He's not under any contractual obligations to the Oilers. A ****ing lottery ball decides the fate of 18 year olds for the next 10 years, to me that is pretty ridiculous. Anyways, holding on to him just out of spite is such a petty thing to do. Doesn't look good to future FAs either.

The kid was straight up not having a good time here, because he doesn't want to learn English (which btw, is not as easy some some people here make it out to be), and also because the locker room wasn't as welcoming probably? Either way, for his own mental health, he made a very brave decision to take a step backwards, sometimes you need to do that to get back on track.

Also I dont' think Jesse has been doing below expectations at all, not sure what your expectations are for him. He's the best player on the best team in Liiga.

these rules need to be changed, if you and your team can’t come to an agreement during your RFA status, it should be a 2 year max before you can officially enter free agency, or a full 82 game period. The fit isn’t their so why completely ruin his career. Accept it’s not working and move on

Nah, I dont think the league would agree to that. Not sure the players would even want that, regardless, given that almost all of these players recieve mad investment money from NHL teams that likely doesn't exist if team control time drops.

He can always sign with the Oilers and request a trade or try to arrange an offer sheet once he is eligible. The NHL has no obligation to let him choose where he wants to play. And conversely he is free to seek employment in any other league if he chooses. No one is ruining his career. It is his choice to follow the path he is on.

He decided not to sign a contract that was offered. He decided to demand a trade. He decided to go home.

If anyone shoulders the blame for ‘ruining’ his career it would be him.

I dont know if this is text of bitterness? Im pretty convinced he will not come back. He doesnt want to play in a canadian city, to much pressure for him I think.

Why does he need to sign with the Oilers to request a trade? Why would he sign a contract with a team that he has no intention to play for?

He's on the path he's on right now because of the NHL's RFA rules. NHL rules are ****ing mental (the whole draft syste in NA sports in general, I much prefer European football style management rules). For whatever reason Jesse is unhappy on the Oilers (language barrier, teammates, homesickness, whatever) and now he's basically at the mercy of the Oilers until he's like 25. It's actually laughable how people think that's fair. It's also laughable how bitter some people are that he won't sign with the Oilers. I sense there's a crowd of people just hoping for him to fail. It's pathetic.

He can request a trade where he is right now. But if his goal is to play in the NHL his current choice is the Oilers. Its not a question of being fair. If he does not like it he can stay in Finland and the Oilers can't stop him. But after investing several million dollars in this player why should they not retain control on an asset that is important to their team?

As far as bitterness, I hold none towards him. in fact, exactly the opposite. He's a kid in a business that is extremely high-stakes and definitely not for the faint of heart. . Most people his age have a hard time deciding what to eat on their on let alone manage the pressure that comes from an NHL job. Frankly if he is happy in Finaland I am fine with him staying there. It's his life. But I also want the Oilers to play their hand as well as they can.

I could have quoted half this thread, good points countering the whole NHL has stupid rules argument.

If he wants to play in the nhl, which he has repeatedly said he does, he needs to prove he is talented enough and follow the league rules no matter how ridiculous they seem to his fans.

He IS contractually obligated to the Oilers as long as he is trying to get into the nhl.

Being the best player on the best team in a inferior league is like being the smartest kid in the remedial classes in high school. Then holding out for Harvard to give you a call.

The only place he is going to prove he is a legit nhl player worth trading for is in the NHL. The only way he is guaranteed to get nhl time is if he sucks it up and plays for the Oilers.

Maybe he plays well enough in Europe for another team to take a chance on him but seriously 50/50 chance of that happening is generous.

What Holland is not going to do, by reputation and history to date, is give away Puljujarvi for little to nothing. I can't understand how anyone outside of Puljujarvi, his family/friends, and his agent would even want that.

Teams invest with their draft picks and if anything I, and the owners/GMs want to extend how long a player is contractually obligated to the team that drafts them.

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Did you really compare the odd embellishing penalty in hockey to the embarrassing diving/rolling around crying issue they have in soccer? Not even close man.

Its not from lack of trying. I have tried to like it but I just can’t stand it.

there’s been at least two finess for embellishment, Michale smith is a known punk for it , for example.....

hockey players dive ans cry all the time... there’s clips on YouTube you can google I’m sure... check our Getzlaf and Doughty ans Toews for example they should have direct wallow talkie to refs with how much they whine and talk to them....I think every sport is like that but some people think soccer is for sissies to look more macho I guess....

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
there’s been at least two finess for embellishment, Michale smith is a known punk for it , for example.....

hockey players dive ans cry all the time... there’s clips on YouTube you can google I’m sure... check our Getzlaf and Doughty ans Toews for example they should have direct wallow talkie to refs with how much they whine and talk to them....I think every sport is like that but some people think soccer is for sissies to look more macho I guess....
Yeaaah... no.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I’m sorry but trying to argue that diving in hockey is even close to the diving in soccer isn’t even worth a response.

Their only protection is over their shins. Having a son that is a child that scrimmages against grown men and women, trust me it hurts having a 300lb.+ man stepping on your feet with cleats or getting hit by a shot or clearing attempt in close quarters but he is tough and there are no tears to be found. Then there's getting kicked to the leg/ankle/etc., getting caught with cleats to the leg, thigh, etc. Yes there are a lot of divers that are doing their best to get penalty kicks that can sometimes be the difference in a game but I teach my kids to play with honor, you don't dive or go down unless you lose your balance or get taken down. There are divers in both sports but soccer definitely has more than its fair share of divers.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Yes. No less.

giphy.gif

:skeptic:

space321

May 11, 2011
The rules are this way to keep it fair otherwise young players can just refuse to play for less desirable teams, then sign with the major teams at first opportunity. This would not be fair for teams that continually suck, no young players would want to play for them wouldn't you agree?

But in that system, each team brings up its own players via youth programs. Youth players from good clubs constantly leave in search of better opportunities. Clubs can also make money and/or become competitive by investing in a good youth program.

I'm not saying we should 100% emulate the EU football system. In my opinion, if your team is "undersirable", then make it desirable. There's a lot you can do to make that happen.

space321

May 11, 2011
I could have quoted half this thread, good points countering the whole NHL has stupid rules argument.

If he wants to play in the nhl, which he has repeatedly said he does, he needs to prove he is talented enough and follow the league rules no matter how ridiculous they seem to his fans.

He IS contractually obligated to the Oilers as long as he is trying to get into the nhl.

Being the best player on the best team in a inferior league is like being the smartest kid in the remedial classes in high school. Then holding out for Harvard to give you a call.

The only place he is going to prove he is a legit nhl player worth trading for is in the NHL. The only way he is guaranteed to get nhl time is if he sucks it up and plays for the Oilers.

Maybe he plays well enough in Europe for another team to take a chance on him but seriously 50/50 chance of that happening is generous.

What Holland is not going to do, by reputation and history to date, is give away Puljujarvi for little to nothing. I can't understand how anyone outside of Puljujarvi, his family/friends, and his agent would even want that.

Teams invest with their draft picks and if anything I, and the owners/GMs want to extend how long a player is contractually obligated to the team that drafts them.

To me, it just sounds like you guys are really really salty that he won't come play for the Oilers. Especially the way you worded your original previous posts. You see him as an object that the Oilers own instead of a kid who struggled to fit in halfway across the world.

Of course, you (as a fan) and the GM would want to extent control over a player. You'd probably want to keep players for their entire career once you draft them. I'm just saying it's pretty ridiculous how long that control is right now. There's more than just the NHL in terms of hockey. And I disagree that you need to play in the NHL to have value to other NHL teams. I'm pretty sure if Jesse finishes this season in the Liiga strong, and tops it off with a good performance in the playoffs, there won't be a shortage of NHL teams looking to acquire him this summer.

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
I can do this all day with soccer. It’s an order of magnitude worse than hockey.
giphy.gif

same , that reminds me of tkachuk. Just google it and you get countless results for either sport. Soccer gets a bad rap for the couple of really bad players. To say you don’t like soccer because of diving and “low scores” screams to me true only soccer you’ve ever watched was your kids play or the World Cup every 4 years and you think you’re hard and frown upon sissy stuff.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
same , that reminds me of tkachuk. Just google it and you get countless results for either sport. Soccer gets a bad rap for the couple of really bad players. To say you don’t like soccer because of diving and “low scores” screams to me true only soccer you’ve ever watched was your kids play or the World Cup every 4 years and you think you’re hard and frown upon sissy stuff.
I never said anything about liking or disliking soccer and that is irrelevant anyway as I only called BS on your ridiculous assertion that diving is as bad in hockey than in soccer.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Why does he need to sign with the Oilers to request a trade? Why would he sign a contract with a team that he has no intention to play for
Because if he signs the deal and acts like a pro it improves his chances of getting the trade out of town that he so desperately wants?

I’m curious what your thoughts are on @TameYew ’s post above.

space321

May 11, 2011
Because if he signs the deal and acts like a pro it improves his chances of getting the trade out of town that he so desperately wants?

I’m curious what your thoughts are on @TameYew ’s post above.

Why would he sign a contract with a team that he doesn't want to play for? That logic eludes me.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Their only protection is over their shins. Having a son that is a child that scrimmages against grown men and women, trust me it hurts having a 300lb.+ man stepping on your feet with cleats or getting hit by a shot or clearing attempt in close quarters but he is tough and there are no tears to be found. Then there's getting kicked to the leg/ankle/etc., getting caught with cleats to the leg, thigh, etc. Yes there are a lot of divers that are doing their best to get penalty kicks that can sometimes be the difference in a game but I teach my kids to play with honor, you don't dive or go down unless you lose your balance or get taken down. There are divers in both sports but soccer definitely has more than its fair share of divers.
I definitely agree on that soccer has more, but you make a good point.

It is really something that is over-looked by most who have not really played that much apart from with school and friends. I was a goalkeeper for many years and I don't know how many times after games when I was taking off the gear that I had blue or purple (if not bloody) marks on my feet/legs looking like freaking rubber bullet wounds. The cleats hurt like **** so whenever I see someone going down from being stepped or similar I give them the benefit of a doubt.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
What, you cannot even drift a bit off topic for like half a page anymore?

It's not like we're talking about pages of derailing a thread here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad