Jesse Puljujarvi Part 7: No NHL in '19-20 for Jesse P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Until he is 27.

Hahahha... well good riddance. You put zero effort in learning English and aren’t prepared mentally to play in the NHL and you knew you were going to be a top choice... then have fun playing in some substandard league overseas... We own you Jesse.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So if you're Holland do you sell him for as little as a 2nd round pick or do you tell him that either he comes back or as long as you're GM of the team he will stay in Finland if he won't come back to play for us?

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I think the page has turned on this BBO... he is not going to come back and play for the Oilers. Incidentally, I always did find it rather weird that Puljujarvi actually hitched a ride after practice from a random dude outside the rink. Why on earth he didn't drive or otherwise get a lift from one of the teammates is... strange. On the other hand I remember one video where he was doing some Finnish(?) rap song in the back of Caggiula's car, which I thought was good to see team bonding like that.

Just a really strange saga. I was genuinely pulling for the kid but with all of this, frankly it's better to move on. Whether he returns what Holland has set out as a minimum.. I'm dubious of that.

Reactions: Aerchon

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Incredibly stupid on his part to piss away $900k+ worth of salary when you haven't really earned that much in your career, that's a lot of money to throw away for 1/3 of that in Finland.

He would have gotten a decent share of time on the 2nd line too if he had been willing to work.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Love having a savvy veteran GM who doesn't flinch in situations like this and panic deal a disgruntled player. Past management and Puljujarvi share accountability for a failure to launch career for a blue chip pedigree player. This European 'Vacation' is also the best situation for both for Pool Party to rebuild confidence and his game against right size competition. The physical toolkit is without question but there are real questions - did his development stall out because of mental maturity of facing overwhelming culture shock (language, N. America lifestyle and NHL competition too early) or is there a deficient hockey IQ that was masked by dominating smaller, weaker junior competition? The player gets a do-over to control his destiny thousands of miles away from NHL scouts, media and fans.

Best case is Pulujarvi knocks it out of the park this year attracting NHL interests and a trade return that recovers sunk costs asset wise for Edmonton's investment of a top five pick. With marginal success of picks outside of the first round (really late first round and beyond), I believe Holland will return a player versus a draft pick(s)/lottery ticket when and if the right trading partner steps up. And if not, Pool Party can enjoy carving out a professional career in his homeland.

Really a shame that both parties got this so wrong on a talent not ready for elite competition as a teenager.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The CBA is kind of confusing with age.

He'll be 26 for basically the whole season, but it's technically his 27 year old season because he turns 27 that year.
That's not the issue though. Here is the actual rule:

Any Player who either has seven (7) Accrued Seasons or is 27 years of age
or older as of June 30 of the end of a League Year, shall, if his most recent
SPC has expired, with such expiry occurring either as of June 30 of such
League Year or June 30 of any prior League Year, become an Unrestricted
Free Agent.

Puljujarvi turns 27 in May of 2025. And as of right now he has two accrued seasons in the NHL. the earliest he could become a UFA would be 2025 since he needs 5 more years after this one to meet the 7 years.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Not if he stays in Finland. He has to accrue 7 NHL seasons or turn 27. I believe the poster I responded to was assuming he was going to stay in Finland.

I recall reading somewhere that pro leagues seasons count for European players wherever they play.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
That's not the issue though. Here is the actual rule:

Puljujarvi turns 27 in May of 2025. And as of right now he has two accrued seasons in the NHL. the earliest he could become a UFA would be 2025 since he needs 5 more years after this one to meet the 7 years.
He's got 3 seasons completed.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
At this point I’m hoping he decides to play for us next year, Holland says the door is and always was open to come back. He needed a full development year in another league, should have had it last year in the AHL and we wouldn’t be here. But I really think there’s still a solid 20 goal winger there once his confidence gets up.

Reactions: Throttlehead

JariCurry

Sep 10, 2005
Hopefully he steps it up a notch. He's not exactly lighting the league on fire. Mediocre numbers to be honest.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
At this point I’m hoping he decides to play for us next year, Holland says the door is and always was open to come back. He needed a full development year in another league, should have had it last year in the AHL and we wouldn’t be here. But I really think there’s still a solid 20 goal winger there once his confidence gets up.

I don't have any faith that he'll be an impact player... for us. His game isn't suited to the NHL and he didn't seem to have the maturity/commitment/whatever to adapt.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
So if you're Holland do you sell him for as little as a 2nd round pick or do you tell him that either he comes back or as long as you're GM of the team he will stay in Finland if he won't come back to play for us?

Depending on the placement of the second round pick and your confidence in our scouts, a high second would be a decent cash out option. That said, I don't really do either. I tell him the same message Holland has been this whole time (AFAIK): we still have a need for a winger, so if you're ready to work and think you're ready for NHL action, come back. Otherwise, we're still looking for a trade, but it needs to be a trade that works for the organization. If you want a trade to happen, the best thing you can do is demonstrate NHL quality dominance over there in Finland.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I dont think Jesse ever will be NHL material. He lacks several characteristics, both as a player and person, and has displayed that he has no idea how to address his weaknesses, he has, as I had projected, a Magnus Paajarvi 2.0, but with better hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->