Jesse Puljujarvi Part 7: No NHL in '19-20 for Jesse P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It’s funny that someone says the same thing about every single goal Jesse has either scored or set up this season that has been posted on here.

crazy how much it burns people to just admit he made even one nice play :laugh: they probably feel like they’re having to compliment their ex.

For once I have to agree with you. I find it silly the lengths people go to to discredit Pulju. It's no secret that I'm not a fan of the player but some of the takes in here are embarrassing. People are mocking Liiga, seemingly thinking it's basically beer league quality. Like, you could find way worse goals than this one scored in the NHL on basically any given night. People really overrate the NHL. There are tons of silly mistakes and plays happening all the time and goalies letting in real softies.

Leagues like SHL and Liiga aren't trash leagues where you can just score at will. In fact these leagues are lower scoring than NHL and being above PPG is very rare. There are only 5 players in all of Liiga that are above PPG. So it's pretty encouraging that Pulju is producing at close to PPG. I think that's about the best you could expect out of him this season. So he's doing well.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
For once I have to agree with you. I find it silly the lengths people go to to discredit Pulju. It's no secret that I'm not a fan of the player but some of the takes in here are embarrassing. People are mocking Liiga, seemingly thinking it's basically beer league quality. Like, you could find way worse goals than this one scored in the NHL on basically any given night. People really overrate the NHL. There are tons of silly mistakes and plays happening all the time and goalies letting in real softies.

Leagues like SHL and Liiga aren't trash leagues where you can just score at will. In fact these leagues are lower scoring than NHL and being above PPG is very rare. There are only 5 players in all of Liiga that are above PPG. So it's pretty encouraging that Pulju is producing at close to PPG. I think that's about the best you could expect out of him this season. So he's doing well.
The only people really trashing Liiga are Habs fans, desperate to buy low on JP. Enjoy life in the mushy middle, Habs.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
What is interesting is that Kärpät have had few players that dominated Liiga in time they played there but after they moved next level things got hard.

Heponiemi and Leskinen, Junttila come to mind in first hand.

Kärpät is so op and well coached team that it seems to elevate numbers.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
JP sitting at 6th in points and 9th in goals while being the youngest player in the top 10 for points by at least 2 years, and second youngest in the top 10 for goals is honestly more than I expected of him after having his confidence shattered in the NHL and playing with the distraction of his NHL future being in the balance for the season.

I still believe whoever acquires him is gonna get a solid top 6 NHL player within a season or two of proper usage.

Hopefully we can get something of value, but I just hope the kid goes somewhere and succeeds. As much as he’s made fun of around here, he seems like a nice kid who got some bad advice and made a few mistakes, but unlike a lot of the players who’s off ice issues prevent them from having careers, JP doesn’t seem like a douche canoe.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
JP sitting at 6th in points and 9th in goals while being the youngest player in the top 10 for points by at least 2 years, and second youngest in the top 10 for goals is honestly more than I expected of him after having his confidence shattered in the NHL and playing with the distraction of his NHL future being in the balance for the season.

I still believe whoever acquires him is gonna get a solid top 6 NHL player within a season or two of proper usage.

Hopefully we can get something of value, but I just hope the kid goes somewhere and succeeds. As much as he’s made fun of around here, he seems like a nice kid who got some bad advice and made a few mistakes, but unlike a lot of the players who’s off ice issues prevent them from having careers, JP doesn’t seem like a *****e canoe.

I agree that Puljujarvi "would" make a solid top 6 guy for some team.

I think Oilers brass know that as well.

While he has played well I don't think playing in Europe has/will help the Oilers get real value for him.

In other words, short of him breaking records during his time in Europe, I doubt he gets traded anywhere.

I wouldn't trade Puljujarvi for a second rounder or some middling prospect. I'd let him rot in Europe as a lesson to anyone else who might think of doing the same thing again to the Oilers. Far more value in that then just moving him for the sake of getting an asset back.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I agree that Puljujarvi "would" make a solid top 6 guy for some team.

I think Oilers brass know that as well.

While he has played well I don't think playing in Europe has/will help the Oilers get real value for him.

In other words, short of him breaking records during his time in Europe, I doubt he gets traded anywhere.

I wouldn't trade Puljujarvi for a second rounder or some middling prospect. I'd let him rot in Europe as a lesson to anyone else who might think of doing the same thing again to the Oilers. Far more value in that then just moving him for the sake of getting an asset back.

I agree that we absolutely shouldn't take anything less than a real hockey trade with fair value, and if that means he stays in europe till he can come over as a UFA (Not entirely sure how that works) then so be it. If a team is willing to offer a player in a similar position who might need a change of scenery, maybe a mid-late first, or a package deal from us that includes JP that gets us a good player with term, then I'd absolutely pull the trigger, but taking a lesser trade because the player refuses to report to our team isn't something I'd consider at all. Offer him a chance at TC each year to come and earn a spot on the team until a trade can be made that seems fair for us.

I wonder what teams around the league actually value him at, or more specifically what Holland values him at. As oiler fans, our judgement may be clouded since we wasted a high pick and years of development to watch him bolt, but Holland can see it from a neutral perspective and may have a better gauge on his value.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I agree that we absolutely shouldn't take anything less than a real hockey trade with fair value, and if that means he stays in europe till he can come over as a UFA (Not entirely sure how that works) then so be it. If a team is willing to offer a player in a similar position who might need a change of scenery, maybe a mid-late first, or a package deal from us that includes JP that gets us a good player with term, then I'd absolutely pull the trigger, but taking a lesser trade because the player refuses to report to our team isn't something I'd consider at all. Offer him a chance at TC each year to come and earn a spot on the team until a trade can be made that seems fair for us.

I wonder what teams around the league actually value him at, or more specifically what Holland values him at. As oiler fans, our judgement may be clouded since we wasted a high pick and years of development to watch him bolt, but Holland can see it from a neutral perspective and may have a better gauge on his value.

I think that he wasn't traded already speaks to both Hollands perspective and a relatively low value around the league.

His attitude in this whole matter also sinks his value significantly.

Players in the draft can drop significantly if they show attitude problems like Puljujarvi has.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I think that he wasn't traded already speaks to both Hollands perspective and a relatively low value around the league.

His attitude in this whole matter also sinks his value significantly.

Players in the draft can drop significantly if they show attitude problems like Puljujarvi has.
Yeah, I think if we have any chance of trading him, it'll be during the offseason where maybe Holland gives teams a chance to talk to JPs agent or JP himself to get their own idea of where his head is at. Either way, at this point I'm trusting Holland to make the right move, which seems like a good bet considering he hasn't sold low yet.

Reactions: Aerchon

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018

Hopefully we can get something of value, but I just hope the kid goes somewhere and succeeds. As much as he’s made fun of around here, he seems like a nice kid who got some bad advice and made a few mistakes, but unlike a lot of the players who’s off ice issues prevent them from having careers, JP doesn’t seem like a *****e canoe.

Well, you should know:

-he plays for his old team
-the team is the power house of the league this year (#1 in the standings, #4 in goals for)
-the league is not that good, the best players each year usually try to break in to the NHL next season but most never make it

The league is a good place to develop players, but the competetitive level is not great. It used to be the 2nd best league in world (20 years ago), but now it's barely AHL-level.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Well, you should know:

-he plays for his old team
-the team is the power house of the league this year (#1 in the standings, #4 in goals for)
-the league is not that good, the best players each year usually try to break in to the NHL next season but most never make it

The league is a good place to develop players, but the competetitive level is not great. It used to be the 2nd best league in world (20 years ago), but now it's barely AHL-level.

While all those things play in his favor, him being in the top level of players any professional league right now regardless of his surroundings is more than I expected after his last season with the Oilers. I don't, and never believed JP wasn't talented enough for the NHL, I think it was just a perfect storm of an immature kid, and a god awful organization that led to his confidence dying and the results being as you'd expect with such a bad combination. I think once JP gets in the right headspace with the proper organization, he'll be just fine.

Jaska

Oct 1, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Yeah, I think if we have any chance of trading him, it'll be during the offseason where maybe Holland gives teams a chance to talk to JPs agent or JP himself to get their own idea of where his head is at. Either way, at this point I'm trusting Holland to make the right move, which seems like a good bet considering he hasn't sold low yet.

I believe anyone is free to talk to JP or his agent and Holland has no way of blocking any discussions.

The Kid Anger

Oct 18, 2012
I believe anyone is free to talk to JP or his agent and Holland has no way of blocking any discussions.

That cannot be true, as the Oiler hold his rights since he was qualified. If teams want to talk to him or his agent, the Oilers shave to give them permission.

Jaska

Oct 1, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Oilers can only stop him signing with another NHL team. His agent is free to talk with any team and the talks might even benefit Oilers, if they create interest in signing JP.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
There is a player in New York in a simalr situation they could trade one to one for. Forgot his name.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Probably answered a page or two back, but has he been working at all on his English this year, or being back in Finland, does he basically just speak Finnish all the time? The language barrier seemed to be a real issue for him, so was just curious if he is addressing that at all, or if his English may may have even regressed.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I don’t want to see him in Oilers colours ever again. He’s a cancer now, no reversing his past here. He can rot overseas or we deal him to the eastern conference.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I don’t want to see him in Oilers colours ever again. He’s a cancer now, no reversing his past here. He can rot overseas or we deal him to the eastern conference.

Trade him to Calgary for Sam Bennet, I am not kidding. Bennet is one of the last pieces there with any heart.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Ugh, I’ll pass on that. I don’t want any Flame, there has to be better options.

I dunno, I like taking Flames that play better here then there. Smith, Neal, Chiasson, I would love to add Bennet to the list plus a good chance to hit pizza boy in the BOA would be fun.

On a side note do you remember when Flames fans chirped us Oiler fans for the Draisitl pick? Remember Bennet was better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad