Jesse Puljujarvi Part 7: No NHL in '19-20 for Jesse P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
My guess is that encouraging talk that they had was that he would get a legit shot with McDavid. It's not that he would be guaranteed anything, just that McDavid is looking for wingers.

Also, if it wasn't obvious, him staying out was a lost opportunity. He did well in Finland, but the Oilers saw major improvements, and of course he probably wishes he could be playing in the NHL playoffs now.

Reactions: KYams17

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
My guess is that encouraging talk that they had was that he would get a legit shot with McDavid. It's not that he would be guaranteed anything, just that McDavid is looking for wingers.

Also, if it wasn't obvious, him staying out was a lost opportunity. He did well in Finland, but the Oilers saw major improvements, and of course he probably wishes he could be playing in the NHL playoffs now.
Last year he would've had an easier time getting to the spot. Now we've had guys step up and take some of those top 6 positions, as well Holland brought guys in to help that area out.

I really don't see them promising him other than if he plays well he'll get ice time.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I really don't see them promising him other than if he plays well he'll get ice time.
That's the way it should be and Pulju knows it. I think what would entice him, would be a promise of a fair chance and a promise that he won't get benched after one mistake while the others play by different rules.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That's the way it should be and Pulju knows it. I think what would entice him, would be a promise of a fair chance and a promise that he won't get benched after one mistake while the others play by different rules.
Pretty sure he had that same promise last year, as did the other 6 or 7 guys Holland brought in.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

IMO even if he was signed with us he needed a year in the AHL or Liiga, his coach said when he got there he had no confidence and they worked to build it back up. The last thing Pulju needed was to be playing low minutes again here this year and struggling, I honestly think there’s still a player there and in 2 years from now we are looking at his year in the Liiga as a crucial part of his development. He’s still very young, just 22 in May, he’s still growing as a hockey player and obviously as a person.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Pretty sure he had that same promise last year, as did the other 6 or 7 guys Holland brought in.
Be as it may, I think a year in Finland was a good call. He seemed to have lost the joy of playing and it's one of his greatest assets. Last season allowed him to find that joy and confidence again and to recuperate from the double hip surgery.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'd almost do the same thing with JP as Holland discussed with Broberg. Go play in Finland once the season is done come over. This way even if he still doesn't feel comfortable about Edmonton right now, it would only be for a few months.

He'd also get some much needed playing time to continue to develop. Him sitting from March 2020 until whenever the NHL season is going to start up isn't going to be good for either party.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I don't see where he fits next season, but it's hard to look at this as anything other than positive news. If he had a good development year in Finland and comes back a different player we are set up pretty well. Worst case, it turns out a Drouin situation where we stay patient and eventually move him for more.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
And if he turns into a great top six forward for us? Yam was a bust a year ago and now he's in almost everyone's heart who didn't believe in him

Agreed. I still think Puljujarvi is a first line player if he can put it all together. I still dont see how Jesse could be sitting their thinking that playing with McDavid or Draisaitl would hurt his career. If the opportunity arises he should be jumping at the chance to play with two of the best players in the game.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
IMO even if he was signed with us he needed a year in the AHL or Liiga, his coach said when he got there he had no confidence and they worked to build it back up. The last thing Pulju needed was to be playing low minutes again here this year and struggling, I honestly think there’s still a player there and in 2 years from now we are looking at his year in the Liiga as a crucial part of his development. He’s still very young, just 22 in May, he’s still growing as a hockey player and obviously as a person.
he can't go to the AHL without going through waivers. I would hope we could sign him to an NHL deal with an out-clause to go to Europe. Seems like this whole practice is a loophole though. Although it's to protect players, and I'd guess JP would like the idea.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
And if he turns into a great top six forward for us? Yam was a bust a year ago and now he's in almost everyone's heart who didn't believe in him

To be fair, it was only a small handful of people that called him bust. And those were the same posters have the same negative tendencies towards the team.

JP was a whole different beast than Yams. Latter was willing to do whatever it took to be a positive impact on the ice; JP played like he was scared of his own shadow and pouted when things didn't go his way. It remains to be seen if he legit matured. All the tools; just mentally, does he have it now or not.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
To be fair, it was only a small handful of people that called him bust. And those were the same posters have the same negative tendencies towards the team.

JP was a whole different beast than Yams. Latter was willing to do whatever it took to be a positive impact on the ice; JP played like he was scared of his own shadow and pouted when things didn't go his way. It remains to be seen if he legit matured. All the tools; just mentally, does he have it now or not.

I just think the kid deserves or at least should be given another opportunity to have a chance with the team. Our coaching staff and management was horrid when he was here.

Reactions: Dorian2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Yams and JP were definitely different beast.
My issue with Yams is I wasn't sure if he could physically take the step forward to the NHL level and not be neutered by the size and speed difference. Also him and Drai having instant chemistry was a bit of a surprise as well. Yams always had the skill, intelligence and work ethic but the physical side was always a question that you can't really answer till you see it.

JP on the other side physically he should have no issue. Skills he should have no issue. The question there has always been and still is whats between his head. He excels when his size and skill lets him just effortlessly take over the game. When it can't he vanishes because I sadly don't think he has ever figured out HOW to overcome adversity and work for something. I think that was the huge issue Hitchcock and McLellan had.

Now hopefully his time overseas taught him how to listen to coaches and work hard because there is no reason he shouldn't be able to be the perfect winger for McDavid. At the end of the day it's up to him to be that player. If you put Yamamotos drive and brain in Puljujarvis body you would have an elite 100 point guy.

I just think the kid deserves or at least should be given another opportunity to have a chance with the team. Our coaching staff and management was horrid when he was here.
He will get it but he isn't going to be gifted minutes thru failure. I think he would be tried with McDavid and he has to do what Yamamoto does and SHOW he belongs there nightly for a while.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Yams and JP were definitely different beast.
My issue with Yams is I wasn't sure if he could physically take the step forward to the NHL level and not be neutered by the size and speed difference. Also him and Drai having instant chemistry was a bit of a surprise as well. Yams always had the skill, intelligence and work ethic but the physical side was always a question that you can't really answer till you see it.

JP on the other side physically he should have no issue. Skills he should have no issue. The question there has always been and still is whats between his head. He excels when his size and skill lets him just effortlessly take over the game. When it can't he vanishes because I sadly don't think he has ever figured out HOW to overcome adversity and work for something. I think that was the huge issue Hitchcock and McLellan had.

Now hopefully his time overseas taught him how to listen to coaches and work hard because there is no reason he shouldn't be able to be the perfect winger for McDavid. At the end of the day it's up to him to be that player. If you put Yamamotos drive and brain in Puljujarvis body you would have an elite 100 point guy.

He will get it but he isn't going to be gifted minutes thru failure. I think he would be tried with McDavid and he has to do what Yamamoto does and SHOW he belongs there nightly for a while.

Agreed. He shouldn't be gifted it. He should show he belongs. He should have a chance to play with him maybe for a preseason game or next season, if he comes over.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Agreed. He shouldn't be gifted it. He should show he belongs. He should have a chance to play with him maybe for a preseason game or next season, if he comes over.
In theory a top 6 of
AA - McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH- Draisaitl - Yamamoto

Should be incredible. Issue is two or those guys have some bad work ethic and if they can overcome that they can be part of something really special.

I think what's more likely to happen though is AA and Pulju form a good third line with a skilled bottom 6 guy we add in the offseason

Reactions: Duke74 and KYams17

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
In theory a top 6 of

Should be incredible. Issue is two or those guys have some bad work ethic and if they can overcome that they can be part of something really special.

I think what's more likely to happen though is AA and Pulju form a good third line with a skilled bottom 6 guy we add in the offseason

I think so too. A third line with AA, maybe someone like Haula and JP would be an underrated 3rd line

Reactions: FanofBadHockeyTeam

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I believe he just needs to be under contract for Seattle be able to pick him.

Anyway, good news for me. I hope he comes back, proves he can be a good NHL player and we keep him. I'm too jaded from losing Yak and Ebs for peanuts to handle losing another top pick.

Svane

Jul 5, 2020
In theory a top 6 of

I think that top line is Awful, both wingers lack Basic fundamentals that make a succesful NHL player and rely on flashy skills mainly off the rush.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Well that would be something if he returns. Maybe he could live with Koskinen, kind of like how Broberg is living with Larsson at the moment. It seems to do a lot of good when a fellow countryman takes you in and shows you the ropes of how to be a pro on and off the ice. Just a thought.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad