Jesse Puljujarvi Part 7: No NHL in '19-20 for Jesse P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Love it. You can see why Holland has such a reputation as a good communicator. He knows how to frame things to compliment his audience, and turn negatives into positives.
Yep.
Which is why I was honestly so mad that even with Holland here Pulju and his agent was going all "nah screw you". Glad to see they realized who they were dealing with now.

I do think though that Yamamoto finding success and be given a chance to keep finding success probably changed a lot for Puljujarvi

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yep.
Which is why I was honestly so mad that even with Holland here Pulju and his agent was going all "nah screw you". Glad to see they realized who they were dealing with now.

I do think though that Yamamoto finding success and be given a chance to keep finding success probably changed a lot for Puljujarvi

Yamamoto said that Holland was clear to him when Holland sent him down to the AHL at the beginning of the season. Told him they were sending him down for half a year to get healthy and work on his overall game, and they would call him back up when he was ready.

Seems simple, but sometimes young players need that kind of clear direction to succeed.

Chia would have probably been holed up in his bunker saying "**** you, you went to Finland."

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yamamoto said that Holland was clear to him when Holland sent him down to the AHL at the beginning of the season. Told him they were sending him down for half a year to get healthy and work on his overall game, and they would call him back up when he was ready.

Seems simple, but sometimes young players need that kind of clear direction to succeed.

Chia would have probably been holed up in his bunker saying "**** you, you went to Finland."
Chia would of traded him and a 2nd for Caggiula

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Love it. You can see why Holland has such a reputation as a good communicator. He knows how to frame things to compliment his audience, and turn negatives into positives.

Yep.

These posts seem delightfully premature and more than a tad over the top in praise.

Holland did oroginally drop the ball with Puljujarvi. Within days of Puljujarvi publicly saying he was looking for a top 6 role and more offensive opportunities Holland holds a presser and states Puljujarvi will be starting on the third line. However many days after that Puljujarvi publicly states he is not going to play for Edmonton.

This was a real time cause and effect situation that barring a whole lot more behind the scenes was Holland stating exactly the opposite of what Puljujarvi was asking for. After that Holland has done very well dealing with Puljujarvi and his agent.

Holland was stuck with a big mess. He was only on the job for a bit and had senile useless Hitchcock and staff giving him "advice" on Puljujarvi. So I do NOT blame him for the situation but the can do no wrong vibe I get from some posters on here is a bit annoying.

We win our way into the actual playoffs and Part 1 of me eating crow about Holland will officially be on. Not there yet and even if we do he has made many questionable moves to date that will be many years before we find out if he was a genius/imbecile or somewhere in between.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This is a benefit of a Hall of Fame General Manager running the store. He doesn't take disagreements personal and in Pool Party's situation has let the situation play out while being clear the Oilers would retain his rights or only move him if a favourable deal materialized. Now with some distance - time and space - away from NHL bright lights, we're hearing some maturity and accountability being taken by this player.

Holland and Tippett have been so vital in righting a horrible culture. Their professionalism and unwillingness to take the bait most specifically with a disgruntled Pool Party and agent appears to be earning trust with a valuable asset. A reactive Pool Party for draft pick/lottery ticket is just the type of move that keeps bad teams mediocre. This saga isn't over but this is moving towards what might be a saving grace for a big body, young player who might just find a home on a strong emerging young team.

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
Holland did oroginally drop the ball with Puljujarvi. Within days of Puljujarvi publicly saying he was looking for a top 6 role and more offensive opportunities Holland holds a presser and states Puljujarvi will be starting on the third line. However many days after that Puljujarvi publicly states he is not going to play for Edmonton...

And who exactly is Jesse Puljujarvi to demand a top 6 role and more offensive opporunities? What has he accomplished in his time in the NHL to have expectations like that, where having to earn it from the third line is unacceptable?

I'd have been a lot more pissed if Holland had caved to a young player with draft pedigree's demands, like we're trying to lure Schultz into signing with us by promising top PP unit time. Especially after seeing it for years and years, regardless of who was in the front office. My praise for Holland is for making the right choice in saying "if you want it, you've gotta earn it" and not burning bridges when Jesse's camp started looking at jumping back over the Atlantic.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
And who exactly is Jesse Puljujarvi to demand a top 6 role and more offensive opporunities? What has he accomplished in his time in the NHL to have expectations like that, where having to earn it from the third line is unacceptable?

I'd have been a lot more pissed if Holland had caved to a young player with draft pedigree's demands, like we're trying to lure Schultz into signing with us by promising top PP unit time. Especially after seeing it for years and years, regardless of who was in the front office. My praise for Holland is for making the right choice in saying "if you want it, you've gotta earn it" and not burning bridges when Jesse's camp started looking at jumping back over the Atlantic.

He was a tier 1 elite prospect who had been playing and succeeding against men at 17. At every point in his career he was an offensive weapon and used on the PP.

The list of prospects that were drafted with his talent and didn't even get a sniff of the top power play is incredibly short. On Edmonton alone there are likely over a dozen.

Jack Hughs was terrible this last year and had more opportunity in his one year than Jessie got in three.

As much as I despise Puljujarvi for his antics there is no doubt in my mind he was not given equal offensive opportunities as most other top prospects of his caliber.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He was a tier 1 elite prospect who had been playing and succeeding against men at 17. At every point in his career he was an offensive weapon and used on the PP.

The list of prospects that were drafted with his talent and didn't even get a sniff of the top power play is incredibly short. On Edmonton alone there are likely over a dozen.

Jack Hughs was terrible this last year and had more opportunity in his one year than Jessie got in three.

As much as I despise Puljujarvi for his antics there is no doubt in my mind he was not given equal offensive opportunities as most other top prospects of his caliber.
And? Yeah the team screwed him around. Doesn't mean him demanding top 6 time means he should get it. Holland was right, he saw him as a useful third line guy. Doesn't mean he can't excel past that. It was an immature take from Pulju

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

This is an good point.

A lot of these guys were drafted/signed purely because of their offensive skill; however if they don't have a offensive role on the team, wtf are they here as teenagers.

Honestly I think this is an underrated point on why Chia was so bad with prospects: he got away with it early as Seguin and Kessel didn't bust from being stapled to the 4th line during their rookie seasons. Sadly MacT didnt even have that excuse, as he just rushed guys for no reason...

However for every Seguin, you can find more cases like Niederreiter, who fail to develop and fall apart at playing limited minutes.

Reactions: Aerchon

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013

The following is quoted:
The Cult of Hockey’s Kurt Leavins, August 4: “How did we get to this point? There’s no question the organization has made its share of mistakes in developing the player. But the examples of stubbornness that Puljujarvi and his agent have displayed through these ‘negotiations’? Multiple observations and insider comments suggest to me that this same stubbornness showed up all-too frequently on the ice and in the dressing room as well. Examples: It has been described to me by multiple sources close to the team how Todd McLellan invested hours upon hours into trying to un-lock Puljujarvi when he first arrived in Edmonton. One of Todd’s frustrations was Jesse’s inconsistency in getting to the net. There, the player’s size & skill combination could be a real factor. When Puljujarvi would do this and was successful Todd would not miss the opportunity to praise him. He would point out how positioning on the play was critical. But then the next shift Puljujarvi would stubbornly appear back on the perimeter again. Todd got frustrated… Often, especially on the power play. Puljujarvi would repeatedly head to the wrong spot. He would literally bump into them. And when they would try to explain it to him their words of advice seemed to fall flat. Was he not listening…not understanding…or not agreeing? Eventually, although none of these players would ever dream of saying it in public…I am made to understand that they quietly asked just not to play with him anymore. There’s no suggestion they disliked him as a guy. Just that he was just hard to play with. Did Jesse perhaps just not understand? I think we’d all have time for that issue, right? Well…there has been a lot of ink spilled on Puljujarvi’s perceived language barrier. However, one particular person who was in that dressing room last season was asked about that very factor, and he answered: ‘No, he knows way more that he lets on”. That same person (who shall remain anonymous) was then asked, “So what’s the problem with Jesse, really”? The answer, shrugged back, was once again: ‘He’s just stubborn’.”

Found here: Jesse Puljujarvi trashed by MSM hockey commentators but still popular with most Edmonton Oilers fans | Edmonton Journal

Reactions: bobbythebrain

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
And if he turns into a great top six forward for us? Yam was a bust a year ago and now he's in almost everyone's heart who didn't believe in him

Hope we keep him long enough for teams to realize his talent. Then we get something good in a return. Unfortunately, I dont think JP has the mental makeup to be on our team long term.

Never say never, so maybe my best guess is wrong, and he goes on to a great career here. I still wish we get something good in return and he does well, somewhere else.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The following is quoted:
The Cult of Hockey’s Kurt Leavins, August 4: “How did we get to this point? There’s no question the organization has made its share of mistakes in developing the player. But the examples of stubbornness that Puljujarvi and his agent have displayed through these ‘negotiations’? Multiple observations and insider comments suggest to me that this same stubbornness showed up all-too frequently on the ice and in the dressing room as well. Examples: It has been described to me by multiple sources close to the team how Todd McLellan invested hours upon hours into trying to un-lock Puljujarvi when he first arrived in Edmonton. One of Todd’s frustrations was Jesse’s inconsistency in getting to the net. There, the player’s size & skill combination could be a real factor. When Puljujarvi would do this and was successful Todd would not miss the opportunity to praise him. He would point out how positioning on the play was critical. But then the next shift Puljujarvi would stubbornly appear back on the perimeter again. Todd got frustrated… Often, especially on the power play. Puljujarvi would repeatedly head to the wrong spot. He would literally bump into them. And when they would try to explain it to him their words of advice seemed to fall flat. Was he not listening…not understanding…or not agreeing? Eventually, although none of these players would ever dream of saying it in public…I am made to understand that they quietly asked just not to play with him anymore. There’s no suggestion they disliked him as a guy. Just that he was just hard to play with. Did Jesse perhaps just not understand? I think we’d all have time for that issue, right? Well…there has been a lot of ink spilled on Puljujarvi’s perceived language barrier. However, one particular person who was in that dressing room last season was asked about that very factor, and he answered: ‘No, he knows way more that he lets on”. That same person (who shall remain anonymous) was then asked, “So what’s the problem with Jesse, really”? The answer, shrugged back, was once again: ‘He’s just stubborn’.”

Found here: Jesse Puljujarvi trashed by MSM hockey commentators but still popular with most Edmonton Oilers fans | Edmonton Journal

I and many others on here have followed this player. Predraft, nhl, and ahl. I can't say I followed this player near as much as say Draisaitl or others in the past but I feel I've read a lot.

The quotes article is one of the very few negative ones about Puljujarvi. At the time and now I put very little stock in it and file it in the mostly conjecture category.

I've read multiple reports that Puljujarvi is a hard worker. Gym rat. Good at practice. That he wanted more offensive opportunity but was also happy when he had Strome with him. That his attention to detail on the defensive side of the puck is strong. That he was too good for the AHL. Dominate.

And then you get reports like the above. Extremly few and far between. Very speculative and with an interesting narrative.

I am confident McLellan was extremely stubborn. No idea about Puljujarvi. I am also confident McLellan was even more stubborn about the PP. I am confident even today no matter how great Puljujarvi is on the PP he does not make the cut because of the personal ahead of him. Nothing to do with him and more to do with the players ahead of him.

Puljujarvi on another team gets on almost any #1 PP in the league. He should have been given more opportunity in Edmonton to do so. I think it far more likely coaching stubbornness (McLellan) and depth kept him off more than his own shortcomings.

Who knows what the real situation is but I'll take the 10+ sources I've read over the years and what I've seen on the ice compared to that one. Especially with how this whole situation has played out I would have thought there would have been many many more rumors than we have seen

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I and many others on here have followed this player. Predraft, nhl, and ahl. I can't say I followed this player near as much as say Draisaitl or others in the past but I feel I've read a lot.

The quotes article is one of the very few negative ones about Puljujarvi. At the time and now I put very little stock in it and file it in the mostly conjecture category.

I've read multiple reports that Puljujarvi is a hard worker. Gym rat. Good at practice. That he wanted more offensive opportunity but was also happy when he had Strome with him. That his attention to detail on the defensive side of the puck is strong. That he was too good for the AHL. Dominate.

And then you get reports like the above. Extremly few and far between. Very speculative and with an interesting narrative.

I am confident McLellan was extremely stubborn. No idea about Puljujarvi. I am also confident McLellan was even more stubborn about the PP. I am confident even today no matter how great Puljujarvi is on the PP he does not make the cut because of the personal ahead of him. Nothing to do with him and more to do with the players ahead of him.

Puljujarvi on another team gets on almost any #1 PP in the league. He should have been given more opportunity in Edmonton to do so. I think it far more likely coaching stubbornness (McLellan) and depth kept him off more than his own shortcomings.

Who knows what the real situation is but I'll take the 10+ sources I've read over the years and what I've seen on the ice compared to that one. Especially with how this whole situation has played out I would have thought there would have been many many more rumors than we have seen

From what I remember, Puljujarvi actually played really well in front of the net. He was great at pouncing on rebounds and he was hard to knock out of the slot. That could be his spot on the top pp unit if he earns it.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

We will never know the truth.
The past at this point is the past. His draft pedigree no longer matters

If he comes back his current level of play will dictate where he is in the lineup. He isn't going to be gifted time or anything. Where he is, in the lineup will be dictated by his play as Holland and Tippett seem to be doing now with almost everyone.

If he comes back there is no excuses of "mistreatment" or "if only he was stapled to McDavid for a year he would maybe show his skill!". It's up to him

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

To you, it's mostly team, not JP's fault.

I'm fairly certain that the team has seen enough of the guy during practice to know that he didn't read the plays well enough and thus, no PP time.

There were countless reports on Oilers Now, even immediately following his rookie season, criticizing his focus and his inability to follow plays on the ice. At what point does the coach minimize the on-ice hurt and give him a limited role?

I suspect if JP does come back, his leash on the top 6 is limited, especially if Holland also goes winger hunting this off season. Ball is in JP's court now whether he wants to put on his big boy pants and be a pro or continue to sulk like he did in the past.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

How could you watch Oilers games and NOT see JP bumping into teamates, crowding their spots, and making a ton of illogical decisions?

That article makes a ton more sense with some of the testimonies that support the eye test, than your opinion that TM was the problem

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
How could you watch Oilers games and NOT see JP bumping into teamates, crowding their spots, and making a ton of illogical decisions?

That article makes a ton more sense with some of the testimonies that support the eye test, than your opinion that TM was the problem

I am very confident McLellan was a big problem. The special teams really really show that. As for Puljujarvi versus McLellan I don't know anything forsure of course.

But.

I can say with confidence Puljujarvi has not bumped into players or go to the wrong spots any more or less than any other player on the Oilers roster.

I think people like the narrative that Puljujarvi is like Yakupov with low IQ and erratic behavior.

From my viewing this is almost purely fabricated. I watched all 139 nhl games of Puljujarvi plus other leagues...

He doesn't run into others or get lost on the ice. That's bs imo.

Edit: he has, at times, avoided the corners and at times been a perimeter player more than a big man should. I agree with that but that is a very common situation for young European players. For his age his general positioning is good.

Reactions: HockeyHistorian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad